Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carlcarlson
Jun 20, 2008
I would also immediately change his password and remove any mobile partnerships that his account has. That should gently caress over anyone that was able to access via an old laptop or iPad or webmail or whatever. Then you can reconnect the account on their devices that they have with them. Other thing to check is to see if it's being forwarded to any other account through Mail Flow Settings -> Delivery Options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

KS posted:

Obvious question: on the user page of the portal, does that user show as "In cloud" or "Synced with Active Directory"? Any differences from your other users there?

"Synced with Active Directory". Only cloud-only accounts we have are our administrative ones. No other differences that I can see.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Thanks everyone. Yeah we'll need to enable auditing that should give the info we need moving forward.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
I've got an issue with Exchange 2010 that when I run the

code:
Test-OutlookWebServices -identity:user1@externaldomain.com | fl
command, I get exactly 1 single error for every user I test it on.

code:
RunspaceId : 0f56cb0d-463d-451e-a11c-558ffc726193
Id         : 1104
Type       : Error
Message    : The certificate for the URL https://internalserver.internaldomain.com/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml is incorrect. 
For SSL to work, the certificate needs to have a subject of internalserver.internaldomain.com, but the subject that was found 
is mail.externaldomain.com. Consider correcting service discovery, or installing a correct SSL certificate.
So it seems to be looking for the internal Autodiscover URL instead of the external URL, and then failing which would make sense if the AutoDiscoverServiceInternalUri was set to the actual Internal URL, but it isn't. If I run

code:
get-clientaccessserver | fl
The correct Autodiscover with the externalserver hostname is listed.

code:
AutoDiscoverServiceInternalUri       : https://mail.externaldomain.com/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml
One other thing to note is that earlier in the same "Test-OutlookWebServices" command, it seems to be finding the correct URL:

code:
RunspaceId : 5fb2f6ca-e905-4446-a73a-d1155423e704
Id         : 1019
Type       : Information
Message    : A valid Autodiscover service connection point was found. The Autodiscover URL on this object is https://mail.externaldomain.com/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml.
code:
RunspaceId : 5fb2f6ca-e905-4446-a73a-d1155423e704
Id         : 1006
Type       : Information
Message    : Contacted the Autodiscover service at https://mail.externaldomain.com/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml.
code:
RunspaceId : ffee0fb0-f3b4-4507-8c64-473438a19391
Id         : 1022
Type       : Success
Message    : Autodiscover was tested successfully.
So it's not like Exchange doesn't know it exists, it's just that for what seems like one specific task, it's looking in the wrong place.

Is there something I'm missing? Why wouldn't it be using the URL in the AutoDiscoverServiceInternalUri? I've rebooted the server and it didn't make a difference.

nexxai fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Feb 18, 2016

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.
Check Get-AutoDiscoverVirtualDirectory | fl. It can be set there as well, and it takes precedence over what is set in the ClientAccessServer. I just dealt with this a couple days ago, as we're changing external domains and apparently when I set up our first server I set the InternalUrl and ExternalUrl on the virtual directory. I know I just followed instructions from ExDeploy when I did it, so could be they recommended setting that specifically a couple years ago, I dunno.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy
Day 1 of everyone officially being on Office 365.

30 minutes later, ISP has an outage in the area.

This is not my day.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Beefstorm posted:

This is not my day.

Happy Monday

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
One of my users is getting a prompt to save changes whenever he just views a contact card. Anyone see this before? Outlook 2013/O365.

This user is the CEO and has 9700 contacts :|

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Beefstorm posted:

This is not my day.

:f5h::smithcloud:

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

That was me for three hours.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I have an Exchange Online question because it's been a second since I've done on-prem exchange to 365.

1. I'm migrating the mailboxes using the built in exchange migration tool
2. cut over MX record, change autodiscover etc.
3. Next day, when I launch Outlook client... what will happen?

Will the Outlook client hit the old mailbox db, know that the mailbox was moved, and then point to the new mailbox in exchange online?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What version of on-prem? I'd almost encourage a Hybrid deployment but it depends on how many users you have (e.g. can you realistically cope with everyone going at once) and how great a capacity for alcohol your body can tolerate.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!
If your clients are domain joined, they will use scp first, which is what you define on your on premises server. If all of your DNS is cutover, your clients should connect to o365. I'd personally go hybrid first as well and verify with a hosts file update first.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

What version of on-prem? I'd almost encourage a Hybrid deployment but it depends on how many users you have (e.g. can you realistically cope with everyone going at once) and how great a capacity for alcohol your body can tolerate.

Like 30 users. I'd rather not do hybrid because I want this server 100% gone.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Has anyone dealt with cross-org free/busy for meeting requests? Ours is broken, the guy that set it up is gone, and I'm not sure where else to look.

Users on ForestA can see free/busy of users on ForestB. The reverse is not true.

test-federationtrust is successful both directions.

Our FIM 2010 GALsync is working as far as I am aware.

I restarted the Exchange System Attendant on the mailbox servers in ForestA, re-ran galsync, forced OAB update in ForestB, then a full OAB download to the client, still nothing. Just get "The external recipient's server could not be determined" when mousing over the no information when creating the meeting request.

My brain hurts, and I really, really don't want to make a call to Microsoft, they're always a massive pain in the rear end.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's voodoo magic. I seem to recall I fixed this with an IIS reset on the CAS servers, throw that at Google and see what you get.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
That did the trick, just did an iisreset and free/busy shows up now. Thanks!

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Exchange and IIS is magically loving broken :iiam:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

devmd01 posted:

That did the trick, just did an iisreset and free/busy shows up now. Thanks!

:tipshat:

gently caress Exchange Hybrid and/or federation

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

SeaborneClink posted:

Exchange and IIS is magically loving broken :iiam:

This is almost a weekly headache for me because third party software vendor keeps loving something up in IIS.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I just can not find the answer to this, and I am far from an Exchange guy, so I am going to ask one of my rare technical questions.

I have a long forgotten Exchange 2010 server which was completely ignored by the people who were supposed to administrate it. The hard drive is completely full. It's also a unique server in that I don't need to keep *any* of the emails, but *all* of the inboxes. I can start over completely.

I want to just remove the database and start over completely. Is this even possible?

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I feel like what you want to do is give the server another drive and move the db to there. also move your logs.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Yeah problem I'm having, and this is just an environment we just picked up in a merger, is that this is kinda 'it' for the server. No extra room to give it, just this one drive, which is full. All the solutions I see online are the same, move mailboxes to a new DB etc, I don't even have room for that. It's ugly. I'm not even sure a deletecontent followed by an offline defrag is going to work because that relies on creating a tempDB.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The database isn't going to shrink without an offline defrag. Good luck with that.

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005
What drive is the DB on? Is there anything non-Exchange on that drive that can be moved/removed?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Negative.

I think I'm going to have to live with the next best thing - got some mailboxes deleted, so I'm just going to have a flipping massive DB with a shitton of whitespace.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

how about plugging in like an external USB drive or something

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I think I'm clever. So I have 146gb on C, 2TB on E, E is full, but they don't need the mailbox content, only to be able to use the mailboxes again going forward. So I can empty every mailbox, create new database on C, move mailboxes, delete old database, create new database on E, and move them back.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Get-mailbox | search-mailbox -deletecontent

satisfying

Edit- this won't fix your problem but it would be fun to do.

AutoArgus
Jun 24, 2009

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I think I'm clever. So I have 146gb on C, 2TB on E, E is full, but they don't need the mailbox content, only to be able to use the mailboxes again going forward. So I can empty every mailbox, create new database on C, move mailboxes, delete old database, create new database on E, and move them back.
By sheer chance, have backups not been run on it in a while? Maybe you're looking at a big rear end pile of transaction logs clogging the disk not mail content? If the mail itself is unimportant, and backups are who gives a poo poo, enabling circular logging should make the problem fix itself (if backups haven't been running).

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

AutoArgus posted:

By sheer chance, have backups not been run on it in a while? Maybe you're looking at a big rear end pile of transaction logs clogging the disk not mail content? If the mail itself is unimportant, and backups are who gives a poo poo, enabling circular logging should make the problem fix itself (if backups haven't been running).

When I started my current job in 2010, the Exchange 2003 server in our other office had never had a backup run since it was installed in 2003. Nothing ruins a person's day quite like seeing "Last full backup: Never" on a 7 year old DB that has all the mailboxes for the c-levels.

So, so many tlog files.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Speaking of which, I'm about 140 gigs from a full drive for my database. Logs are on a separate partition.

I'm thinking of hanging a synology off one of the nics and mounting it as an iSCSI target for database storage only. The logs will stay on a local disk. It will be one direct gigabit connection between the two. Exchange 2010, about 60 active mailboxes.

Will I be ok? My main concern is backups slowing the connection down. It happens off hours with Backup Exec 2012 on another server.

I think I'll be fine if I keep the logs local right?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

AutoArgus posted:

Nah it's all edb, no logs. Got the server baaaaasically fine, though! Whew.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

OK after doing cutover migrations my entire life it's time to do a hybrid o365 deployment for the first time ever! I want to make sure I'm not missing anything important... Can you please confirm:

This week - starting off migration batch. No staff impact

Weekend
- cutting over DNS internal/external - autodiscover.poop.com, mx record
- complete-migrationbatch
- test mail flow
- test outlook profile automatically correcting itself
- test mobile device access (will have to remove and re-add account?)
- reconfigure scan to email etc

I feel like something horrible is going to go wrong

Now the big question. If after this is done I want to decom my Exchange server what should I do?

option 1: virtualize it and don't decom
option 2: decom it and what will happen?

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I migrated an Exchange 2003 environment to O365 last year and I got OWNED by trying to decommission the legacy servers.

Following MS docs at the time, the migration tools only moved the mailboxes to O365, but did NOT remove the old DN references for aliases. So when I tried removing Exchange, it removed a bunch of those AD attributes and broke all kinds of poo poo. Mostly distribution lists and a bunch of Outlook instances that needed to be backed up, cleared out, and pulled down again, and then restored. It was a loving disaster.

Luckily I had an export of the legacy DN and i was able to add most of them back via PowerShell pretty quickly.

Some of the 3rd party migration tools will do this conversion, but as of about a year ago, the Office365 migration tool did not.

Tread lightly.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

mayodreams posted:

I migrated an Exchange 2003 environment to O365 last year and I got OWNED by trying to decommission the legacy servers.

Following MS docs at the time, the migration tools only moved the mailboxes to O365, but did NOT remove the old DN references for aliases. So when I tried removing Exchange, it removed a bunch of those AD attributes and broke all kinds of poo poo. Mostly distribution lists and a bunch of Outlook instances that needed to be backed up, cleared out, and pulled down again, and then restored. It was a loving disaster.

Luckily I had an export of the legacy DN and i was able to add most of them back via PowerShell pretty quickly.

Some of the 3rd party migration tools will do this conversion, but as of about a year ago, the Office365 migration tool did not.

Tread lightly.

'03 migrations sounded like hell, Microsoft should've let you use Exchange 2010 to install and upgrade\migrate mailboxes before shipping the data to o365.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
code:
Get-Recipient -RecipientTypeDetails UserMailbox | Select Name, @{n="Email Address";e={$_.EmailAddesses | ? %_ -like "SMTP:*}}} -ExpandProperty EmailAddresses | Select name, smtpaddress
Two different results, onprem works as intended, O365 smtpaddress is returning null :suicide:

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005
In O365 the EmailAddresses property is just an array of strings, so there's no smtpaddress property to return. Unfortunately, I don't think there's a way to do what you want with select. You can use a for-each loop though to get basically the same info.

code:
Get-Recipient -RecipientTypeDetails UserMailbox | % { $recipient = $_; $recipient.EmailAddresses | % { if ($_ -like "SMTP:*") { ($recipient.Name,$_.Substring(5,$_.length-5)) -join ',' } } }
You can also use -join "`t" for tabs instead of commas.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

mayodreams posted:

Tread lightly.

Ok so you're saying don't decom and make it someone else's problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

Ok so you're saying don't decom and make it someone else's problem

Exactly this