Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Metal Meltdown posted:

I'm seeing both Sword of Fargoal and Sword of Fargoal Legends in the app store. Which should I be getting?

Sword of Fargoal. It's cleaner and simpler. You have 2000 moves to find the Sword in a dungeon and get out, and that's it. Enjoy dying a lot because it's loving brutal.

I have the WIP of Fargoal 2. It's just as nasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

TOME looks much better with the OldRPG tileset and UI installed. Thanks for the suggestion. Now I am off to go die another needless death because I have to open every door and explore every cave.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I want to meet the man whose job it was to stuff approximately 500 dragons in every chest in the Far East.

I feel like that guy has some stories to tell.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Inadequately posted:

I want to meet the man whose job it was to stuff approximately 500 dragons in every chest in the Far East.

I feel like that guy has some stories to tell.

Dragons just like boxes, you know? They're like really big Snakes.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

More like cats. They go into the box, but get really pissed when you take them out.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I think I quit Nuclear Throne. The game is fun but dying every time to Lil' Hunter isn't.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

Justin_Brett posted:

I think I quit Nuclear Throne. The game is fun but dying every time to Lil' Hunter isn't.

Just keep at it, and you'll get better. Took me something like 35-40 hours of play before I even beat the Throne. Lil' Hunter is only difficult for a while, then at one point you beat him. Then you beat him again. Then suddenly he's just another speed-bump on your way to the Throne. I would also recommend watching some youtube videos of people who are better at the game - ideaot, SleepCycles and others are all good players and watching them can teach you a lot. I'd recommend watching SleepCycles' videos because he actually explains stuff (half the time. The other half he just talks about...stuff) and his decisions in the game. I've learned quite a bit just watching the guy.

drink_bleach
Dec 13, 2004

Praise the Sun!

Justin_Brett posted:

I did basically the same thing but my roadblock is looping. I can beat the game pretty regularly but I've never looped once. Watched videos and the whole nine it just never clicked with me. Stupid nuclear throne.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
The throne generally will not walk forward if you don't back up away from it. Knowing this, destroying the generators isn't much harder than killing it normally(also destroying the generators halves its HP, and combined they have about that much HP, so it doesn't usually take more ammo either. and they drop ammo!).

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's kind of hard to give a super detailed guide on how to consistently beat lil hunter because once you get to the point where you're good at it it just kind of clicks and in your head you instinctively know what to do to mitigate every situation you're in against him. there's always going to be the games where you still get killed by him because all it takes is a single slipup to take you into the red, but with everything else in the game it's kind of like riding a bicycle. the #1 most important thing i can ever tell people is that lil hunter has poo poo all for health, and if you've been picking up weapons to carry you through the game as you go along you should hopefully be packing something with enough of a punch to nuke him quickly.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
If I actually had time to make room to fight him, I wouldn't mind practicing.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Justin_Brett posted:

If I actually had time to make room to fight him, I wouldn't mind practicing.

In general the problem with Lil' Hunter seems to be that it's very easy to die to him and when you do you have to retread most of the game to get back to where you were.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I have been playing the heck out of Pathos, the context sensitive menus are such a nice interface, it makes Nethack a lot more pleasant to play. It's not quite Nethack though, I have noticed some differences. For one, the shops are now menu based and there doesn't seem to be any way to steal from them. I also couldn't find any way to cast Wish. The pets don't seem to eat or pick up items, which is actually pretty handy at times.

On the flip side, there are a lot of monsters ported from Slash'EM :D, as well as random monster zoos randomly on each level. I have actually been doing quite well, compared to normal Nethack. I don't know if any of the more lower levels are different yet, as I have never reached those in the normal game :v:

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

In general the problem with Lil' Hunter seems to be that it's very easy to die to him and when you do you have to retread most of the game to get back to where you were.

And most of the time you don't even really die to him, just the game not giving you what the average player needs to fight him. Over the past couple hours I've gotten to him a bunch of times, and I've never felt like he actually killed me on his own.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I just want you to know that I appreciate this.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Ok, now I can walk off in any direction forever.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Are those blank empty sectors that appear to the right of your tiles supposed to happen like that? Pretty cool otherwise.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sage Grimm posted:

Are those blank empty sectors that appear to the right of your tiles supposed to happen like that? Pretty cool otherwise.

For each zone I just generate 2 long N-S/E-W hallways and an outer walkable ring that always links up to the 4 adjacent zones in the plane and throw in a few really basic random rooms, for the time being. I'll worry about precisely how I'm going to generate the zone interiors and connections later, since it's somewhat dependent on our final desired look/feel, which we're still exploring.

Marcus Garvey
Oct 24, 2015
Does anyone happen to have any of the old Gearhead 1/2 community mods laying around? I remember one in particular for GH2 that added a huge variety of variants and things, like a tanky combat haiho.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
Re: Pixel Dungeon. What am I supposed to do in a situation like this? Tried throwing axes on every wall tile, but alas. (I'm a roguelike noob)

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Use the search button near the wall. There are hidden doors.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Kinda tired of killing Lil' Hunter and then having him blow up in my face. Why can't you just win the fight? Why does every boss past Big Bandit need to do that?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Justin_Brett posted:

Kinda tired of killing Lil' Hunter and then having him blow up in my face. Why can't you just win the fight? Why does every boss past Big Bandit need to do that?

Because Vlambeer is about nothing if not more explosions.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
Ok, now objects can have names and descriptions and tribes and stuff, and you can inspect them with a cute little UI-space popup.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

I'm interested in WolfenShockRL.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
The talk about Gearhead got me interested but the website only has old binaries for Windows, anyone got a newer version? Doing it myself is entirely too much effort since I've never did any compiling before on Windows and the internet here is super slow and I have a lot of excuses okay :mad:

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Get the mega link frkm earlier itt. I didnt have to compile anything. Im gonna play some gearhead 2nite

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Isaac posted:

Get the mega link frkm earlier itt. I didnt have to compile anything. Im gonna play some gearhead 2nite

The mega link is the old stuff. FPC is being a colossal pain in the rear end so I'm not likely to be the one providing any binaries there.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

dis astranagant posted:

The mega link is the old stuff. FPC is being a colossal pain in the rear end so I'm not likely to be the one providing any binaries there.

How old. What am i missing out on.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Isaac posted:

How old. What am i missing out on.

8 years old but not much. A few bug fixes, some art backported from GH2, and the start of a wall tile revamp. The first commit since 2008 happened a month ago.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Feb 22, 2016

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Is there a decent tutorial/beginners guide to Gearhead 1/2 out there? Like what do all the abbreviations mean?

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I lost my tutorial mech and the cool spider one grom the desert. Then i lost the arena one. Lots of the battles i either steamroll a strongarm or its 4 completely OOD seeming mechs that blow me to pieces before i see them.

9hotonic
Jan 29, 2016

(after hearing the library has games , i arrive at the front desk, disguised as a non-gamer)

"er.. im here for some.. book's"
the new pokemon mystery dungeon came out in the UK a few days ago and it feels super nostalgic and nice to play again

i know its considered an easy roguelike but ever since pmd2 I've had a soft spot for the series, so im glad this one isn't disappointing like gates to infinity

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
Enjoying Pixel Dungeon, but man is it hard! Constantly running into hunger issues as well. Anyone got any newbie tips?

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

9hotonic posted:

the new pokemon mystery dungeon came out in the UK a few days ago and it feels super nostalgic and nice to play again

i know its considered an easy roguelike but ever since pmd2 I've had a soft spot for the series, so im glad this one isn't disappointing like gates to infinity

I thought this one could actually get pretty hard at times! The bosses seemed a bit easier, but the dungeons themselves could be hell, although you can pick your own difficulty to some extent.

Protip: Cubone is AMAZING, he learns Bonemerang, which is a 10 range attack that hits twice. I haven't seen any other direct attack moves that hit more than four spaces away*.

*Okay, technically Hyper Beam causes a 3x3 explosion at point of impact, but still.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Just beat Brogue for the first time ever. Took me three sittings, I got pretty desperate here and there.

By the endgame I had:
  • +1 Waraxe
  • +1 Charm of Protection
  • +6 Ring of Wisdom
  • +3 Ring of Stealth
  • Staff of Discord 5
  • Staff of Tunneling 3
  • Staff of Blinking 3
  • Staff of Firebolt 3
  • Staff of Obstruction 3
  • Staff of Obstruction 2
  • Wand of Empowerment 0
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7QQ6Sdap3aGUDhmNk9VdndKeWM/view?usp=sharing

Jackard fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Feb 23, 2016

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Jackard posted:

Just beat Brogue for the first time ever. Took me three sittings, I got pretty desperate here and there.

By the endgame I had:
  • +1 Waraxe
  • +1 Charm of Protection
  • +6 Ring of Wisdom
  • +3 Ring of Stealth
  • Staff of Discord 5
  • Staff of Tunneling 3
  • Staff of Blinking 3
  • Staff of Firebolt 3
  • Staff of Obstruction 3
  • Staff of Obstruction 2
  • Wand of Empowerment 0
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7QQ6Sdap3aGUDhmNk9VdndKeWM/view?usp=sharing

Three? I've tried about twenty times and I can't get past l4-5ish...

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I mean three days for a single run.

Also had another infuriating reminder that allies are totally useless for anything but fodder as my low HP vampiric ogre refused to follow me into a healing room and instead wandered into a caustic gas trap.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Feb 23, 2016

HeartNotes3
Jun 25, 2013
If anyone is on the fence about getting Heiroglyphica, don't. It just still has a lot of issues and I don't think it was worth the asking price. The gimmick did not really stay interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

HeartNotes3 posted:

If anyone is on the fence about getting Heiroglyphica, don't. It just still has a lot of issues and I don't think it was worth the asking price. The gimmick did not really stay interesting.

I second this. It's not bad, but after the first couple of hours I've never really felt like I want to give it another go. Plus, it runs surprisingly slowly, with all the animations playing one after another, and the steam forums tell me it's not just my computer that's at fault.