Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

hottubrhymemachine posted:

Woah girl, slow down your insightful posting so I can catch up and recalibrate my lesnick.

You sound unsoundly invested in this fake space game friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I think "fake space Google Maps" is a pretty meh concept tbh

I prefer this but maybe I'm just a tool for the "big meanie publishers" who fire Chris Roberts and refuse to give him infinity dollars to pick cat poop out of the sandbox and eat it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ4gpjwJa08

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/319015/animals-loose-on-the-deck

What's the name of the plug in that takes screenshots and auto uploads to imgur?

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

My name is a trolling word

Everything I've read about NMS is boring

If I want to fap over a few computer algorithms I'd rather read them

Yeah.

Also, you just can have it now with SpaceEngine, developed by a one-man team.

http://en.spaceengine.org/

This is loving incredible and I suggest that everyone tries out this Universe (not Galaxy, Universe!) simulator.

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

My name is a trolling word

Colostomy Bag posted:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/319015/animals-loose-on-the-deck

What's the name of the plug in that takes screenshots and auto uploads to imgur?

Greenshot does that quite well I found out.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Toops posted:

IMHO the most important moment in a game's design is when you decide what your player can't do. Limitation is what drives tension, choice, and consequence.

Spot on. Every time you start up a new game, you go through several stages of learning. First it's like learning to walk - what keys move you which way, can I crouch, how do I use my weapons, etc. Then you start learning how to interface with the environment and the enemies (if it's that kind of game.) You take tentative steps to get a feel for the environment. You learn your limits. That's what teaches you things like "OK even one zombie is a problem, so a pack of them is big trouble, what other way can I find to get around that mob?" or "OK one ship is enough of a challenge, but that's a wing of 3 ships, should I give it a shot with a positional advantage, wait for help, or just leave?" Those kinds of decisions define the entire game experience.

Sometimes a game does define your limits, but then kicks in with a sort of Eigen Plot situation that caters specifically to your limits by its design. Deux Ex: Human Revolution was pretty good, but it was at its worst when you were walking through hallways and running across two (and only two) close together guards who were placed there specifically so you could use your double-takedown move. That would be the flip side of the coin.

The very best games give you a strong sense of your capabilities, your limits, and give you numerous situations that allow you to balance between the two on the fly. To keep on thread topic, Star Citizen has no gameplay, and I doubt anything this deep has even occurred to the team. Speaking of which, I hear a lot about Chris, who is a lost cause, I hear about Sandi/Ben/Lando, who are inconsequential, and I hear about devs. That's all well and good, but who is the lead game designer or any game systems designer? Are there any of those on staff?

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

So it's actually just a massive coincidence that Chris Roberts also owns a stable? That's honestly even more :psyduck:

It really does seem like it. The stable Roberts was involved in worked mainly with rodeo horses and closed two years before the horse Star Citizen was born. There seems to be no connection between that farm and the place that bred the horse. I also saw nothing to link Roberts to any trainers or breeders involved.

That horse was then sold for $230,000 un-named to the UAE royal family were all evidence points to them naming it after a video game. This is real life.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Article about no mans sky, seem pretty interesting.

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2016/02/artificial-universe-no-mans-sky/463308/

“The physics of every other game—it’s faked,” the chief architect Sean Murray explained. “When you’re on a planet, you’re surrounded by a skybox—a cube that someone has painted stars or clouds onto. In No Man’s Sky however, every star is a place that you can go. The universe is infinite. The edges extend out into a lifeless abyss that you can plunge into forever.

"The physics of every other game—it’s faked" + "the universe is infinite" = :shrug:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Duckaerobics posted:

It really does seem like it. The stable Roberts was involved in worked mainly with rodeo horses and closed two years before the horse Star Citizen was born. There seems to be no connection between that farm and the place that bred the horse. I also saw nothing to link Roberts to any trainers or breeders involved.

That horse was then sold for $230,000 un-named to the UAE royal family were all evidence points to them naming it after a video game. This is real life.

Nice detective work.

At least the horse lives up to its namesake...not delivering on its promise.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
there is no way crobbers is breeding race horses, if there is an angle it's probably some betting thing.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

G0RF posted:

"The physics of every other game—it’s faked" + "the universe is infinite" = :shrug:

I take that to mean that once you've passed the farthest star they've made, you just travel into an infinity of darkness forever where there will never be any game content, like CIG.

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.

G0RF posted:

All models, by their very nature, are faked to some degree. It's just choosing where to draw the line.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Scruffpuff posted:

The very best games give you a strong sense of your capabilities, your limits, and give you numerous situations that allow you to balance between the two on the fly. To keep on thread topic, Star Citizen has no gameplay, and I doubt anything this deep has even occurred to the team. Speaking of which, I hear a lot about Chris, who is a lost cause, I hear about Sandi/Ben/Lando, who are inconsequential, and I hear about devs. That's all well and good, but who is the lead game designer or any game systems designer? Are there any of those on staff?

Totally. The subtext of my comments was how hosed Star Citizen is. 4 years in and nobody has any idea what the game is. I mean, I'm fine with hubris-driven businesspeople who load up with debt and VC cash, staff up, sprint at ill-defined "MVP," spaghetti code themselves around the moebius strip until the cash runs out, then gently caress off and do something else. It's the fact that fraudulent marketing and false advertising is being used to drive pre-orders for CR's lovely FMV movie that really irks me.

Nothing I've seen or played in SC bears any resemblance to a game I would like.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

https://forums.robertsspaceindustri...-to-be-expected

That first line will hopefully give you all a good chuckle for the day.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process

You sound unsoundly invested in this fake space game friend

You see right through me and I am undone.

Lesnick fat lesnick yourself in the knowledge that I am bested.

Please post more eightace you are the only poster who actually has intersting stuff about this mess.

Derek you are hilarious and seemingly full of total poo poo regarding law suits and general follow through.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Duckaerobics posted:

Didn't someone once determine like most of the RSI website traffic was coming from the Middle East? Or was that bull poo poo, can't remember anymore.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

MilesK posted:

Didn't someone once determine like most of the RSI website traffic was coming from the Middle East? Or was that bull poo poo, can't remember anymore.

Yeah there was a chart, not sure what dataset was used to populate it, but it showed the 3 most active regions for Star Citizen were the U.S., Germany, and Middle Eastern countries. There was some speculation about why, specifically, Germany and the ME would have more interest than any number of nearby countries. It is an oddity.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Scruffpuff posted:

I take that to mean that once you've passed the farthest star they've made, you just travel into an infinity of darkness forever where there will never be any game content, like CIG.

code:
if (self.position > explored.position) {
  Array newSystems = Generator.CreateNewSystems(self.position);
  UpdatePersistentWorld(newSystems, "Pgabz was here.");
}
fly ever on into the great vastness of the cosmos, commando

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

MilesK posted:

Great, he's laundering money for ISIS, which explains why they're running out of money.

Re: Spore - The problem there was that the minigames didn't really link up into any great consequence, and kinda lost the plot at the 'world' level, ending up in the interstellar game with no real payoff. Pre-ordered, played through one game, deinstalled.

Scruffpuff posted:

To keep on thread topic, Star Citizen has no gameplay, and I doubt anything this deep has even occurred to the team.

I think that's the point behind the 'deep' mechanics they keep alluding to that don't exist. The core should be the flight/fight model because that's what the whole thing revolves around, but it's not fun, and they're looking for something to fill the gap between the dreams and the reality.

Speaking of which I deleted it again last night because the last patch pushed the install past 55Gb

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Nation posted:

there is no way crobbers is breeding race horses, if there is an angle it's probably some betting thing.
Yeah, I don't think he's involved in breeding at all. I don't even think he was involved with the other ranch in any real capacity. I would be pretty willing to believe that once Chris found out about the horse he put some fairly big bets on it. If he did it was almost certainly with money he paid himself and not backer funds directly. So it's mostly funny to think about in the sense of all of these people throwing money away on another disappointing thing named Star Citizen.

MilesK posted:

I remembered this being true as well, but I don't know for sure.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Please post more eightace you are the only poster who actually has intersting stuff about this mess.

Derek you are hilarious and seemingly full of total poo poo regarding law suits and general follow through.

Can we skip the foreplay and cut right to your meltdown?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

im very concerned with who you think has something interesting to say in the star citizen thread, thank you for your contribution

if you are posting that ironically its a p good gimmick tho

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Hav posted:

Great, he's laundering money for ISIS, which explains why they're running out of money.

Re: Spore - The problem there was that the minigames didn't really link up into any great consequence, and kinda lost the plot at the 'world' level, ending up in the interstellar game with no real payoff. Pre-ordered, played through one game, deinstalled.

I think that's the point behind the 'deep' mechanics they keep alluding to that don't exist. The core should be the flight/fight model because that's what the whole thing revolves around, but it's not fun, and they're looking for something to fill the gap between the dreams and the reality.

Speaking of which I deleted it again last night because the last patch pushed the install past 55Gb

Why would the install size increase all the time :confused:

Do their backers count progress in bytes?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm willing to bet Ben "infinite chin" lesnick will lose 150 lbs before star citizen releases.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Toops posted:

Totally. The subtext of my comments was how hosed Star Citizen is. 4 years in and nobody has any idea what the game is. I mean, I'm fine with hubris-driven businesspeople who load up with debt and VC cash, staff up, sprint at ill-defined "MVP," spaghetti code themselves around the moebius strip until the cash runs out, then gently caress off and do something else. It's the fact that fraudulent marketing and false advertising is being used to drive pre-orders for CR's lovely FMV movie that really irks me.

The one game that I find parallels this trainwreck the most and I hardly ever see mentioned is WWII Online. I think it came out around 2000.

It has a lot in common with SC:

Huge world MMORPG
FPS
Aircraft
Multi-crewed vehicles
Naval ships

Up until its release, the fervor on the forums with everyone speculating what they could do was mind boggling. Think Star Citizen type stuff speculation levels in a WWII setting.

Problem is, the publisher rushed it out and of course it was a hot mess. I think it required something like a 70 meg patch (don't laugh, this was back with 56K modems were the norm) right off the bat.

The main difference is people had sense what was going on and left in droves. Shame really, it had potential. Supposedly the servers could handle 5000 people across the map. It could only display 64 players though in the same area though.

The game still exists, but barely.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

here you go guy whose name i don't remember i hope this encapsulates your feelings on the star citizen thread

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Didn't some dev say in the com cast video there's a 200gig build lol

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Wookie Bouquet posted:

All models, by their very nature, are faked to some degree. It's just choosing where to draw the line.
That's why guys like Sean Murray should skip "our physics are better" lines of self-promotion. Chris Roberts has been doing it since the kickoff of his campaign and 4 years later, the physics are an outright embarrassment. I'd rather hear developers talking about mechanics, progression, anything but their physics systems.

I'm hoping Murray and co deliver something special. It feels very dinky dink, like Elite + FPS for 5th graders who want to believe the universe is a dayglo wonderland teeming with exotic life in every corner of its reaches. I'm hoping there is more depth than that. We know what breadth without much depth plays like.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Wait, weren't we talking about Dolvak calling himself "a CIG employee"? What am I missing?

e: you know, I watched this for a couple of minutes to see if he mentioned it. This poo poo is offensively bad, who told these people this was a good idea?

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Feb 19, 2016

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Found a childhood video of Ben, no wonder he is so cranky right now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYgEn_xQQKI

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

NFC, I think it downloads the entire patch first, then applies it over the top of the existing. I'm going to reinstall it on one of the platters and start checking the deltas because it should give an interesting idea of tempo.

I only found it was going to so high when the wireshark session crapped out.

Duckaerobics posted:

Quick check of Alexa suggests that it's more the US, France, Germany, Spain. Alexa is obviously an estimate, but I don't know where you'd get better unless you had access to analytics.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Toops posted:

The best I can figure is that they're building a sandbox game. Which itself is fine. One of the more popular online sandbox games was SWG, so I'll use that in my comparison. If they plan to simply build separate elements and expect them to come together in a sandbox, they're going to fail. Sandbox games are even harder to balance than linear because by definition they include more elements, and you lack control over the environment those elements are used in. The more elements, the more unpredictable ways to completely break the game. In addition, sandbox games do not lend themselves well to single-player linear storylines. The worst parts of GTA are the missions (with a handful of exceptions) and the best parts are where you roam free and gently caress around in the open world. I have yet to play a sandbox game where this is not true. Dying Light, Far Cry 3 and 4, all GTA games, Shadow of Mordor - all those games have linear story missions, but the game only truly shines during free exploration. So out of the gate, we know SQ42 will suck, even without cutscenes sealing the deal.

Even as a successful sandbox game, SWG still failed. Some argue it was due to the NGE etc., which was a persistent story until years later when insiders finally spilled the beans: SWG was already on the table to be cancelled due to lack of profitability. The NGE was their last-ditch attempt to resurrect the game, and as hated as it was, it did manage to put the game on life support for a few more years by exchanging one gaming demographic for another. So even when the game was at its sandboxy best, it was a net financial loss, even when leveraging the Star Wars IP.

So here comes Star Citizen - maybe a sandbox, but yet some FPS where you can do "stealthy stuff", but you have head bob and breathing while you hold your gun, and if the guy next to you gets shot you can drag him by the shoulders or by the ankles, and shotguns crash the server, and immersion animations, and vending machines in my hold, and someday the dreams of mining and piracy and space rape - and WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS GAME SUPPOSED TO BE?!?!?! Chris Roberts is trying to create life by pouring carbon, magnesium, calcium, water, and all the other biological building blocks into a big vat and just stirring it for 4 years, expecting his creation to spring out at any moment and amaze the world.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

MeLKoR posted:

Wait, weren't we talking about Dolvak calling himself "a CIG employee"? What am I missing?

e: you know, I watched this for a couple of minutes to see if he mentioned it. This poo poo is offensively bad, who told these people this was a good idea?

Wow you're a trooper, I managed half that

Those guys suck to an objectively staggering degree

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

Eonwe posted:

here you go guy whose name i don't remember i hope this encapsulates your feelings on the star citizen thread

but pgabz was posting recently

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

Wow you're a trooper, I managed half that

Those guys suck to an objectively staggering degree

how hard is it to sit in front of a webcam and talk about nothing?

apparently very!!!!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

Chris Roberts is trying to create life by pouring carbon, magnesium, calcium, water, and all the other biological building blocks into a big vat and just stirring it for 4 years, expecting his creation to spring out at any moment and amaze the world.

:five:

It's been said 10 gazillion times now...if they would have only defined the basics at the beginning, they would be much better off.

So take a game mechanic such as ship salvaging in the PU. With fidelity and "no shortcuts approach", this concept all of sudden turns into quite a technological nightmare.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Duckaerobics posted:

Yeah, I don't think he's involved in breeding at all. I don't even think he was involved with the other ranch in any real capacity. I would be pretty willing to believe that once Chris found out about the horse he put some fairly big bets on it. If he did it was almost certainly with money he paid himself and not backer funds directly. So it's mostly funny to think about in the sense of all of these people throwing money away on another disappointing thing named Star Citizen.

I've been in boxes where a trainer would come in and tell my then boss who to bet on and he won everytime, gently caress horse racing.

Although I have seen a big bet go bad when the horse got injured, lots of money lost and the horse was shot on the track. Again gently caress horse racing.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Chairman Wao posted:

but pgabz was posting recently

tru

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I once mentioned that No Man's Sky looks boring as gently caress in a Star Citizen thread and a goon went apeshit over my opinion.

something about space games makes people class 5 retarded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Colostomy Bag posted:

:five:

It's been said 10 gazillion times now...if they would have only defined the basics at the beginning, they would be much better off.

So take a game mechanic such as ship salvaging in the PU. With fidelity and "no shortcuts approach", this concept all of sudden turns into quite a technological nightmare.

Well the commandos seem to believe CIG will succeed in creating a universe in which each ship is constructed in a factory and is made from limited resources and stuff in a complex economy

In such a game world ship salvaging would be "easy" to implement I guess :shrug:

:frog: so how will [thing] work?

:downs: they're going to do like ten other biiiiggger things so [thing] will sort itself out!

:frog: what

Arguing with commandos is an uphill battle

• Locked thread