Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I don't think cisco will let you write another exam if your ccent lapsed. Unless it's the ccda which if I remember correctly is the only one that doesn't require the ccent as a pre-req.

CCNAX :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
That's the kind of technicality I expect out of a Microsoft exam mister <:mad:>

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Judge Schnoopy posted:

That's the kind of technicality I expect out of a Microsoft exam mister <:mad:>

Fine, real answer: They will let you sit the CCIE without your CCENT. It won't renew the CCENT, but who cares?

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Alder posted:

Really? I wanted to transfer to WGU for their Info tech program but I didn't have enough work exp and they said I needed to get a A+ done to qualify otherwise I'd get rejected since it's a degree program.

http://www.wgu.edu/admissions/it_requirements

A+ just shows you aren't going to need to be babied every step of the way I guess? WGU does at least give you a pile of certs so if you find a company that just loves them it's good for that. Of course in my program it was....Project+, some bs cert I can't even remember that probably isn't worth the paper it was printed on and 98-366 which is basically a weaker Network+ with Microsoft's 'fun' questioning style.

Sucks to have to pay for A+ out of pocket but unless its changed they pay for up to 3? certificates a semester. Plus having a bachelor's does get past the HR wall. I do wish my program forced Network+ though, I felt it was a lot more comprehensive than the 98-366.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Stanos posted:

A+ just shows you aren't going to need to be babied every step of the way I guess? WGU does at least give you a pile of certs so if you find a company that just loves them it's good for that. Of course in my program it was....Project+, some bs cert I can't even remember that probably isn't worth the paper it was printed on and 98-366 which is basically a weaker Network+ with Microsoft's 'fun' questioning style.

Sucks to have to pay for A+ out of pocket but unless its changed they pay for up to 3? certificates a semester. Plus having a bachelor's does get past the HR wall. I do wish my program forced Network+ though, I felt it was a lot more comprehensive than the 98-366.

Did you do the Health Informatics degree? That's the only one with 2 certs, the other degrees include 6 or 7 certs.

Security track includes A+, N+, S+, Linux+, Project+, CCNA R&S, and CCNA Security.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Stanos posted:

I got A+,N+,S+ in my first term there, and can hopefully now move on to poo poo I actually care about.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Did you do the Health Informatics degree? That's the only one with 2 certs, the other degrees include 6 or 7 certs.

Security track includes A+, N+, S+, Linux+, Project+, CCNA R&S, and CCNA Security.

Business IT Management which isn't under the IT degree hood. I had an A+ when I started and was doing lovely helpdesk where they covered some certs and that degree seemed like the path of least resistance to 'piece of paper to cover HR requirements'. About to take Security+ in a week to get on the DoD hiring train at the base here so maybe the other options were better. Too late now as I don't get pell grants for a second degree and have zero interest in a second bachelors or schooling that I'm not getting paid to do or at least getting some help for that isn't loans.

I do think WGU is great if you're looking to get ahead in IT though, in the interviews I've done it's mostly curious questions about how I liked it or none at all. Only one interviewer was kind of a dick about it but from the vibe I got from my other interview was that he was in general an unpleasant person.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Stanos posted:

I do think WGU is great if you're looking to get ahead in IT though, in the interviews I've done it's mostly curious questions about how I liked it or none at all. Only one interviewer was kind of a dick about it but from the vibe I got from my other interview was that he was in general an unpleasant person.

I'm pretty psyched for it, there are a ton of job postings with the HR checkbox for degrees and every time I see one I know I'm being limited.

Any employer that wants to question the validity of an accredited bachelors degree is not an employer I want to work for anyway, so in a way it seems like a beneficial filter to have on my resume.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Just thought of something that seems kind of obvious but may not be: if you've never taken a typing course or don't know how to type quickly, that's something to look into fixing. Command line-heavy exams with sims like Cisco will go much faster if you can type out commands as fast and accurately as possible.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

HPL posted:

Just thought of something that seems kind of obvious but may not be: if you've never taken a typing course or don't know how to type quickly, that's something to look into fixing. Command line-heavy exams with sims like Cisco will go much faster if you can type out commands as fast and accurately as possible.

our architect holds a CCNA (soon to be a CCIE) and basically types for a living, and he is a 2 finger hunt and pecker, it drives me insane when we're working together and he's driving. MOTHER FUCKER TYPE FASTER. other than that the dude is loving awesome and has so much knowledge it's loving disgusting.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

MF_James posted:

our architect holds a CCNA (soon to be a CCIE)

You can jump straight to the CCIE without any CCNP certs?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Moey posted:

According to him you can, I haven't validated the truth of that statement, but I would believe him, he's not someone to spit BS out, unless something has changed recently, I would assume he's correct.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Moey posted:

Yes. You can take a CCIE without any certifications whatsoever. CCNA and CCNP, however, require lower level certifications.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Moey posted:

I answered this earlier on this very page.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

MF_James posted:

our architect holds a CCNA (soon to be a CCIE) and basically types for a living, and he is a 2 finger hunt and pecker, it drives me insane when we're working together and he's driving. MOTHER FUCKER TYPE FASTER. other than that the dude is loving awesome and has so much knowledge it's loving disgusting.

The proper way to type is with one finger hovering above tab.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

The proper way to type is with one finger hovering above tab.

Left pinky positioned for hitting tab, right pinky on shift and right index finger over question mark.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Kazinsal posted:

Left pinky positioned for hitting tab, right pinky on shift and right index finger over question mark.

This thread is due for a good derail. Everybody post your home keys, left to right, and lets see who has the worst hand posture!

lshift a w d space / space k o [ rshift

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Judge Schnoopy posted:

This thread is due for a good derail. Everybody post your home keys, left to right, and lets see who has the worst hand posture!

lshift a e f space j o ; rshift

I'm hosed up

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

a w e r space / space j k l rshift

Sometimes my left hand reflexively goes to lshift a w d space like I'm playing an FPS. I can't be the only one with this problem.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I only type with like 6 hover fingers so something like this.

lshift s d / h i l

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Kazinsal posted:

Sometimes my left hand reflexively goes to lshift a w d space like I'm playing an FPS. I can't be the only one with this problem.

woah you actually type the letter a with your pinky? (i tried typing that with your homekeys to see how it felt to actually utilize all 5 fingers on the board)

that's hosed up

As for the AWD problem, look at my home keys above. I've learned to type like that, and now I can't rest my fingers anywhere else.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I just realized my right hand is more like space j i o ; now. I don't know when that happened but it must have been completely subconscious.

Traditional typing just feels wrong in comparison.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

I learnt the traditional way and still type: a-s-d-f-space and space-j-k-l-;

I type faster and more accurately than 99% of people I've had the displeasure of watching type, the only person that can beat me consistently is my brother, we've done some typing test probably a hundred times and I've only beaten him a handful :(

*edit*

Who would have thought playing games would come in handy, back before all vent, roger wilco, mumble, et al, you had to type poo poo super fast in an FPS or MMO so you didn't lose too much time doing stuff, so I got really good at speed typing.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 19, 2016

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

MF_James posted:

I'm a finger hunt and peck typer but I do about 65+ wpm so nobody gives me poo poo.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

vyst posted:

65+ WPM

this is slow and you should feel bad

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Use http://www.ratatype.com/ and http://zty.pe/ for all your speed typing practice.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I was just guessing. I'll do that test and revise

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kazinsal posted:

I've just started playing game with EDSF for movement instead.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

asdf space | space jkl;

I'm boring. :(

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Ashley Madison posted:

Use http://www.ratatype.com/ and http://zty.pe/ for all your speed typing practice.
The first one said I type at 142 WPM so I'm gonna not practice.

Earned by playing MUDs as a teen instead of talking to girls. :smugdog:

:smith:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
http://www.holywowstudios.com/teachestyping/

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Playing Aardwolf MUD in the mid 90s as a kid was the best typing practice. Mavis eat your heart out

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Peck typers unite

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

oh my god this is the best thing. I've been laughing like an idiot for the last half hour.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
72.6, laying with both forearms laying on my table, standard asdf space space jkl; and poor posture, with a keyboard that likes to not register spaces. I need a less lovely keyboard.

However, I never use my right shift key. If I need to shift A, Q, or Z, I will shift with my pinky and move my ring finger over to use those keys.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
My typing form is horrible, my fingers go all over the place and my speed comes from multiplayer games. When I got to high school my computer teacher was annoyed at that and thought I was looking at the keyboard and pecking when he wasn't around so he'd cover my hands and do tests. He finally just gave up and said 'Eh, if it works for you I'm not going to bother you too much.'

Thanks, lazy/nonchalant computer teacher!

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

ROUTE test today. IPv6 found me and did terrible things. 699, needed 790.

I took the goddamn Cisco class, and the instructor never even touched on some of the poo poo I got questions on. I spent so long doing poo poo like memorizing metrics, the OSPF LSAs, and the BGP attributes, and it feels like half my questions were on dumb IPv6 nitpicks or dumb CEF nitpicks.

Hate getting pool-hosed. :argh:

EDIT: At least whoever recommended the CBT labs was right; they were good prep for the sims I got. I felt pretty good about almost every sim and simlet.

EDIT EDIT: Goddamnit, Cisco Easy Virtual Networking isn't even in the goddamn class manuals. :argh: :argh: :argh:

Jedi425 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Feb 20, 2016

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

There's literally a page and a half on Easy Virtual Networking at the end of the ROUTE Foundation Learning Guide. It basically says "this is a thing that exists and you should pimp it to employers so we get more money and you get to flex your Cisco creds".

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Lshift a w d space || space j k l ;

That's on this laptop keyboard that is less than ideal though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ren and Stimpire
Oct 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Jedi425 posted:

I took the goddamn Cisco class, and the instructor never even touched on some of the poo poo I got questions on. I spent so long doing poo poo like memorizing metrics, the OSPF LSAs, and the BGP attributes, and it feels like half my questions were on dumb IPv6 nitpicks or dumb CEF nitpicks.

EDIT: At least whoever recommended the CBT labs was right; they were good prep for the sims I got. I felt pretty good about almost every sim and simlet.

EDIT EDIT: Goddamnit, Cisco Easy Virtual Networking isn't even in the goddamn class manuals. :argh: :argh: :argh:

Printing this and attaching it to the 300-101 objectives for later. (I'm doing Switch now, then route later). Sorry man.

But at 699 you should be able to make it happen with a few more weeks of study. :science: