Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Randarkman posted:

Reminds me of FATAL

Thanks for reminding me of one of the worst things that ever existed :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Important new DD, can't wait to see how this is implemented in Rome II as well.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Answers a lot of questions I had about them, looks really good.

Garrison Area: Was wondering if you could use this to 'area attack' when the enemy has scatter control of provinces (like we saw in the last WWW) and it sounds like you can, which is great.

Assign Divisions: I was worried it might be annoying if you needed to split/shuffle troops around a lot between groups but sounds like it'll be pretty easy.

Planning Bonuses: You don't even lose your planning bonus if you decide to take manual control over troops already in a plan.

My hype level keeps swinging back and forth between this and Stellaris.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Drawing arrows on maps seriously tickle all kinds of fancies with me.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I loved drawing arrows all over the Victoria 2 map even though they basically meant nothing, so it'll be cool to just actually play the game like that.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
That looks like the kind of thing I'd love to see in so many games and hopefully it gets carried forward to future Paradox releases as well. The worst part of strategy games, especially high level ones like HoI are trying to micromanage all your units when what you want them to do really isn't that complicated but the interface only allows you to give them singular orders like "move here" "attack this unit".

I know that HoI4 won't be using the order of battle stuff from 3, but does it have some other system for organizing units in groups so you can quickly adjust plans for say, a whole theatre at once without having to drag select them to do it?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Planning Bonuses: You don't even lose your planning bonus if you decide to take manual control over troops already in a plan.

To be clear, it looks like you don't get the planning bonus for whatever you manually order your guys to do, but you can give manual orders & then let your guys go back to the plan afterward, at which point they get their bonuses back.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I know that HoI4 won't be using the order of battle stuff from 3, but does it have some other system for organizing units in groups so you can quickly adjust plans for say, a whole theatre at once without having to drag select them to do it?

You can create large scale Theatres as you see fit, and assign Armies under them. Within an Army you can assign Control Groups as part of a Battle Plan. Though I'm not sure if those groups are a permanent form of organization, or just a part of the active Battle Plan.

PleasingFungus posted:

To be clear, it looks like you don't get the planning bonus for whatever you manually order your guys to do, but you can give manual orders & then let your guys go back to the plan afterward, at which point they get their bonuses back.

That would make sense, but where did you read that? The OP sounded pretty clear that they still got the bonus even if given manual orders.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
The weird bitching in that EUIV dd thread about Urgoma being a wasteland is so weird. Whenever people bitch about these wastelands they really should hit up the google maps.

After searching the entire eastern coast of Lake Turkana I found four things that can count as settlements:
An archological camp, and it's fuel depot.
A KWS camp.
One village proper. Slightly smaller than the KWS camp.
I also found one unmarked nomad camp, with about a dozen or so huts/tents
Along the way, thanks to Google Maps increasingly detailed features, I saw several hundred large crocodiles.

Lake Turkana itself is a salt lake.

I think that the inability of Ethiopia to bring an army through there might be intentional you guys.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah, you have generals and field marshals that you put units under. Click the general, order the units he commands. A general can command 12 units, a field marshal has no limit. Order 300 divisions to attack Germany with three clicks.

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

That would make sense, but where did you read that? The OP sounded pretty clear that they still got the bonus even if given manual orders.

yeah you still keep the bonus if part of a plan although it will be ticking down of course

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Hm, I can't find it again now that I'm looking. I see the line you mean:

quote:

For example Mobile Warfare Doctrine gives you faster planning but you can only plan to half the level of a player using Grand Battleplan (Even units given manual order as part of a plan will gain this bonus by the way)

But I'm very confused about what the point of a plan is, if you can just override it with manual orders at no penalty. I guess it'd just be a 'charging up' period of forced inactivity before an offensive, but the lines you drew on the map wouldn't actually mean anything? Seems a little underwhelming...

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

PleasingFungus posted:

Hm, I can't find it again now that I'm looking. I see the line you mean:

But I'm very confused about what the point of a plan is, if you can just override it with manual orders at no penalty. I guess it'd just be a 'charging up' period of forced inactivity before an offensive, but the lines you drew on the map wouldn't actually mean anything? Seems a little underwhelming...

According to the DD, it seems that manually controlling the entire campaign would be horribly impractical and complicated. The arrows and lines you draw tell the AI where it should move, and where to form up battle fronts. You can override these plans if you see cases where a diverted group could force an encirclement or close a vulnerability, but you are then probably going to be returning control to the automation at which point it will continue following the arrows.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
EDIT: wrong thread

Sindai fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 19, 2016

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Kaza42 posted:

According to the DD, it seems that manually controlling the entire campaign would be horribly impractical and complicated.

You realize the type of people who play Paradox games, right? This is the same kind of issue people are worried about with the Stellaris ship designer - doing the painful and time-consuming thing is always going to be superior to letting the AI do it so you're punishing people for not performing a tedious activity. If manual control lost the bonus, then you could justify letting the AI run things; the planning bonus would make up enough of the lost efficiency to not worry too much about it and you could watch for potential interventions when there was a huge potential benefit. With manual control getting the bonus, there's no game reason not to do it so you are rewarding boring and tedious micromanagement.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

blackmongoose posted:

You realize the type of people who play Paradox games, right? This is the same kind of issue people are worried about with the Stellaris ship designer - doing the painful and time-consuming thing is always going to be superior to letting the AI do it so you're punishing people for not performing a tedious activity. If manual control lost the bonus, then you could justify letting the AI run things; the planning bonus would make up enough of the lost efficiency to not worry too much about it and you could watch for potential interventions when there was a huge potential benefit. With manual control getting the bonus, there's no game reason not to do it so you are rewarding boring and tedious micromanagement.

precisely. solving this issue is exactly what I thought the planning system is for, but...?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I don't really see the issue with the ship designer. Sure the AI might not be 100% optimal, but it'll be good enough for the players who don't want to mess with it.

Edit: You're marrying two genres here and there's an argument to be made that the ship designer is only there because it's a stable of the space 4x genre. Stellaris is first and foremost EU4 in space.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 20, 2016

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I'm really glad they managed to find a way to keep the high province count from 3 and all the great stuff that came with it while at the same time providing a satisfying middle ground between "get overwhelmed trying to manage all your troops on that huge frontline" and "say 'gently caress it' and tell the AI to deal with it," your only two options in 3.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'd have preferred less provinces than even Hoi2, maybe something more akin to risk. Put the extra game play focus into an extremely detailed nation leader friendship/dating system.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I'd have preferred less provinces than even Hoi2, maybe something more akin to risk. Put the extra game play focus into an extremely detailed nation leader friendship/dating system.

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/eiyuu-senki-the-world-conquest/cid=UP0745-NPUB31798_00-EIYUUSENKIDL0010

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Baronjutter posted:

Haupsturmfül Boyfriend.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

PleasingFungus posted:

precisely. solving this issue is exactly what I thought the planning system is for, but...?

Yeah that's got me wondering the same thing now. The way you described it seems like it would actually make more sense than the way it seems to actually be.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

I'd have preferred less provinces than even Hoi2, maybe something more akin to risk.

CK2 level of provinces is what I would need to be able to play it, any more than that and I would never be able to keep track of everything.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

SeaTard posted:

CK2 level of provinces is what I would need to be able to play it, any more than that and I would never be able to keep track of everything.

The various area-controlling tools with battle plans combined with the fact that most other things operate on 'regions' instead of just by provinces makes me feel like it should be pretty manageable. If everything was by province then I'd be right there with you.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Hmm...

Shiver me timbers! :monocle:

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

If drawing arrows on maps is a feature I sincerely hope someone is going to recreate the opening to Dad's Army.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

DrSunshine posted:

Hmm...

Shiver me timbers! :monocle:

Is it bad I'm most bothered by the Pacific Ocean being so small.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

quote:

In Eiyuu Senki - The World Conquest, the player finds himself in an alternate world populated with famous characters in history and legend - who all happen to be beautiful women - and must fight his way to world domination.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

mods please change my name to female hitler and make this my av, tia

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:wtc:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

It seems like some people just need an excuse to fap at anime so you can just throw together anything that could be called a game with a lot of anime girls in sexy outfit all over the place and... profit

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Ever since they took Wiz off the project, the new DLC has gotten weird.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Fintilgin posted:

Ever since they took Wiz off the project, the new DLC has gotten weird.

Would play this.

EDIT: Aragon still won't accept vassalization!! :argh:

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

EDIT: Aragon still won't accept vassalization!! :argh:

Ca...Castille-sempai, not there!

ganglysumbia
Jan 29, 2005
Looking to get into EU4, have not played it in a few years. What are some of the must have mods/dlc?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ganglysumbia posted:

Looking to get into EU4, have not played it in a few years. What are some of the must have mods/dlc?
EU4 is awesome right now, so good choice. It has its own thread where you may get better advice:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3725024&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1
The OP is out-of-date but the people that post in the thread are really helpful.

The DLC choices depend on what you want to do. I think Art of War, Common Sense, and Cossacks would be the most important? If you are patient, the first two of those three will probably end on a sale again sooner or later, and Cossacks should go on sale eventually. You probably want to check with the dudes in that thread first because though I post there all the time, I am far from being an authority.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

ArchangeI posted:

Ca...Castille-sempai, not there!

thanks for making me feel really hosed up for force vassaling some weaker nations

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

VerdantSquire posted:

thanks for making me feel really hosed up for force vassaling some weaker nations
You don't even want to know what sending missionaries represents.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

VerdantSquire posted:

At least you didn't force annex them, that's got to be illegal :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Need Aragon romance guide, I Improved Relations but they still won't go on a date with me.