Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
He never seemed particularly comfortable with the role, but he did it well. Good on him for standing up and saying he wanted to give it up.

Hoffman is a good choice to fill the position for a year or two, hopefully Johnson is ready after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

I like what the Dragons and now the Eels have done with the club captain and team captain, where the former is captain of the team in the media while the team captain fills the on-field responsibilities. Best choice for the Kiwis imo would be Mannering or even Luke or Robson as team captain and Johnson as club captain. Or comedy option Konrad Hurrell as club captain

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

cpaf posted:

FYI I am still a Broncos supporter despite the grand final / OP

Very late notice but I actioned this, finally.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
I HATE the current NRL player market system. Tapine is taking legal action against the Knights to get out of his contract. I mean really. Surely a transfer window or something is less messy than this terrible free for all.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

I thought he was taking legal action because the Knights allegedly won't let him train with the rest of their alleged first-grade squad to punish him for signing with Canberra.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

ili posted:

I thought he was taking legal action because the Knights allegedly won't let him train with the rest of their alleged first-grade squad to punish him for signing with Canberra.

Its a little bit of everything. i think his camp got pissed off that the Knights tried to shop him to the Roosters this year for reasons ??

The training issue is a big part of it though.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rug...219-gmz0pa.html

Joseph Tapine has begun legal action against Newcastle, with the ugly stoush set to be resolved in the courtroom if he isn't granted an early release to join Canberra.

"Sadly and reluctantly, we have been forced to take legal action," manager Jim Banaghan said. "It's very unfortunate because the kid loves the club but you can't be shown the door and forced to train alone in a team sport.

"Newcastle have dug a hole that big for themselves that Nathan Tinkler would have got himself a mining license for it."

---------------

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Maybe old news to those of you in Australia but I just got this as an update on my phone so went to look:

"John Hopoate is set to be stood down as coach of Manly's under-18s team after a senior police officer reached out to the club to convince the Sea Eagles that the former Test winger was unfit to mentor teenagers."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/nrl-top-cop-tells-manly-to-ban-john-hopoate-from-coaching-children-20160219-gmyst8.html

He's no dog botherer so does this even register as Rugby League news?

E: Re-reading the quote I posted, it sounds pretty sinister. This is due to links to organised crime figures apparently.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Why should we have to pay for him to play in Canberra for a year?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Dalai Trauma posted:

Maybe old news to those of you in Australia but I just got this as an update on my phone so went to look:

"John Hopoate is set to be stood down as coach of Manly's under-18s team after a senior police officer reached out to the club to convince the Sea Eagles that the former Test winger was unfit to mentor teenagers."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/nrl-top-cop-tells-manly-to-ban-john-hopoate-from-coaching-children-20160219-gmyst8.html

He's no dog botherer so does this even register as Rugby League news?

E: Re-reading the quote I posted, it sounds pretty sinister. This is due to links to organised crime figures apparently.

I wouldn't want John Hopoate anywhere NEAR my kids. Lucky for me I live on the other side of the planet! And also have no kids.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
The player transfer market it a mess, but with the length of the season it's going to be hard to fix. In an ideal world, players coming off contract would negotiate their next deal between the end of grand final and the start of preseason training. But that window is too narrow- you're looking at October and November, and that shortens to just a month if a player goes on an end of season tour.

The system we had before in which the opportunity to sign contracts started in around June or July didn't work because tampering was rampant. I've heard some pundits call for a trade system to be implemented, but that would never work- how many players would accept being traded to Auckland, Townsville or Canberra?

In Tapine's case, his agent insisting he be released immediately is bullshit. He has a contract with Newcastle, so as long as they continue to pay him, he needs to stay put unless he can negotiate a release. They have no obligation to play him in first grade, but if they do this they're going to have to carry him on the cap. It also becomes a possible deterrent to future signings if they don't like the way Tapine is being treated for signing elsewhere.

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
Latrell Mitchell looks quality

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Look, we can make this fairer. No multi year contracts. Everyone comes off contract at the end of the season and you all have one week to negotiate new deals or find a new club.

Boom problem solved

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Robbie Farah was going to sue over being shunted off to reserve grade. Tapine isnt Farah but the knights literally said if he signs elsewhere he will play reserve grade no matter what.

We held up milford for a year but we played him in first grade and didnt banish him from training lol. The knights are handling this very poorly. If they had been sensible it might have given the raiders incentive to buy out his contract. Now they have a disgruntled player in the top 25 who is bringing legal action against the club. So the raiders can play hardball.

Enough injuries and the NRL will literally force them to play Tapine regardless of the result of any legal action. We are being cry baby bitches is not a reason to break the second tier salary cap. We probably wont play TPJ this year as he is signing with the broncos. The raiders werent dumb enough to say this publicly or banish him to train alone. So if we do need to play him through injury he wont be incredibly disgruntled

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
My amateur rugby (union) team has a hard time getting a full side of players on game day, but we all have day jobs and aren't all that good at our sport anyway.

I cannot imagine the stress that must be involved in working or playing for a professional sports team, even in a good year.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Robbie Farah was going to sue over being shunted off to reserve grade. Tapine isnt Farah but the knights literally said if he signs elsewhere he will play reserve grade no matter what.

We held up milford for a year but we played him in first grade and didnt banish him from training lol. The knights are handling this very poorly. If they had been sensible it might have given the raiders incentive to buy out his contract. Now they have a disgruntled player in the top 25 who is bringing legal action against the club. So the raiders can play hardball.

Enough injuries and the NRL will literally force them to play Tapine regardless of the result of any legal action. We are being cry baby bitches is not a reason to break the second tier salary cap. We probably wont play TPJ this year as he is signing with the broncos. The raiders werent dumb enough to say this publicly or banish him to train alone. So if we do need to play him through injury he wont be incredibly disgruntled
The Raiders needed to use Milford because they would have lost a lot games without him, Tapine wasn't guaranteed a spot in the 17 so there is nothing wrong with him playing NSW cup all year since he isn't part of the teams future plans or structures anymore so why put any more investment into him?

the banishment from training is a he said/she said situation, you can't really listen to the manager in that situation because they are snakes and the club will say whatever also so :shrug:

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Cue Benny Hill music at my place tonight.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

MiniSune posted:

Cue Benny Hill music at my place tonight.

Going to make some sort of drinking game out of this one, the wife is overseas ATM so if I stop posting them somebody please check on me as I may have died of alcohol poisoning.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Roosters B-team looked pretty solid against St Helens this morning. Hastings, KNikorima, Latrell Mitchell and Kane Evans all looked good and pro fantasy buys

Bit hosed when you lose half your A grade team and you're still tipped 5th to win

e: JNikorima*, please don't put KNikorima in your fantasy team

Thinking fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Feb 20, 2016

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Update from the Dogs vs Storm livestream:

While the Dogs and Storm gently caress around, Knights vs raiders:

http://www.raiders.com.au/news/2016/02/20/live_stream_raiders_.html

Edit: And now the Tigers Stream is barely loading. gently caress sake NRL get your poo poo in a pile.

In like Flynn: http://www.weststigers.com.au/video/livestream.html

Or the one smart thing the Tigers have done all year is said gently caress the NRL and is using YouTube for the stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBiEeP-cjDI

MiniSune fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Feb 20, 2016

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

MiniSune posted:

Update from the Dogs vs Storm livestream:

While the Dogs and Storm gently caress around, Knights vs raiders:

http://www.raiders.com.au/news/2016/02/20/live_stream_raiders_.html

Edit: And now the Tigers Stream is barely loading. gently caress sake NRL get your poo poo in a pile.

In like Flynn: http://www.weststigers.com.au/video/livestream.html

Or the one smart thing the Tigers have done all year is said gently caress the NRL and is using YouTube for the stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBiEeP-cjDI

Yeah, the tigers stream is going great for me, thanks Campbelltown council!

Started well, then the sharks remembered how many origin players they have and have taken the advantage.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Except when they cut to the low camera for no reason and it's impossible to see what's happening

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

iajanus posted:

Except when they cut to the low camera for no reason and it's impossible to see what's happening

Did they get the Channel 9 Origin crew to run it?

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
lovely camerawork cant hide some pretty poo poo calls by the ref. That Tedesco pen was horsehit given the sharks player was walking forward.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

MiniSune posted:

lovely camerawork cant hide some pretty poo poo calls by the ref. That Tedesco pen was horsehit given the sharks player was walking forward.

Bit early in the season for shouting at the wind about unfancied teams being shafted by the refs isn't it?

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Smorgasbord posted:

Bit early in the season for shouting at the wind about unfancied teams being shafted by the refs isn't it?

I never stop, irrespective of sport.

Also 30 all draw, did not see that coming.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

How did the tigers hold on for that draw? Dropping the ball on the first tackle on our own line twice in the last two minutes and then the sharks dropping the ball on the last pass with no defender able to do anything as they ran in for the match winner.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

iajanus posted:

How did the tigers hold on for that draw? Dropping the ball on the first tackle on our own line twice in the last two minutes and then the sharks dropping the ball on the last pass with no defender able to do anything as they ran in for the match winner.

Tigers fail so hard, they fail at failing?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

Tigers fail so hard, they fail at failing?

If that gets us to the top half of the table somehow I'll take it

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Josh Hodgson was amazing in the trial. The first graders just smashed the knights to pieces. Sezers kicking game was a huge step up.

Is this....hope i feel.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Is this....hope i feel.

I sense something, a presence I've not felt since...

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Last time i was positive about the raiders i ended up with a new username by the end of the season lol.

The raiders depend heavily on josh Hodgson. If he stays on the field and has a good run with injury the Raiders might be alright

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Last time i was positive about the raiders i ended up with a new username by the end of the season lol.

The raiders depend heavily on josh Hodgson. If he stays on the field and has a good run with injury the Raiders might be alright

Was that the Bulgarelli finals game v the Warriors? Good times, good times.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I was going to say that traditionally hope is the first step towards depression.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

It is really weird how of all the clubs you'd predict to win the offseason contract game, it looks like it's the loving Warriors & Raiders :psyduck:

Also Manly I guess.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Josh Hodgson was amazing in the trial. The first graders just smashed the knights to pieces. Sezers kicking game was a huge step up.

Is this....hope i feel.
come down to a converted try in the end, ricky won't be happy they slacked off

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

bowmore posted:

come down to a converted try in the end, ricky won't be happy they slacked off

The second half was mounties players. I think a few of them could have done better to make a claim for first grade mind.

Still things i liked

Hodgson
BJ looks fit
Sezer has a more deft kicking game than williams and hopefully it will be the end of 7 tackle sets killing the raiders.
The pack looks good but depth is a worry. Vaughan and Boyd need to have big years. I liked the look of Sia at lock.
Attack was good, defence still has a giant question mark.

And it wasnt the bulgarelli game although that kills me. Stupid elliot not playing graham. I think i changed my username to bdc after the tigers beat the raiders and bronson harrison just STUNK the place up. It was 2011.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Jeez Jordan Kahu looks the goods at left centre. Hope he gets the spot permanently when Reed retires.

Also feel sorry for the Wigan hooker, laughing gas and a stretcher isn't usually a good sign.

Kaglicious
Mar 31, 2011

ili posted:

Jeez Jordan Kahu looks the goods at left centre. Hope he gets the spot permanently when Reed retires.

Also feel sorry for the Wigan hooker, laughing gas and a stretcher isn't usually a good sign.

The Sky commentators here were saying it's a suspected broken leg.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Milf is on fire. Even if this ref is as one eyed as Ive ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

The second half was mounties players. I think a few of them could have done better to make a claim for first grade mind.

Still things i liked

Hodgson
BJ looks fit
Sezer has a more deft kicking game than williams and hopefully it will be the end of 7 tackle sets killing the raiders.
The pack looks good but depth is a worry. Vaughan and Boyd need to have big years. I liked the look of Sia at lock.
Attack was good, defence still has a giant question mark.

And it wasnt the bulgarelli game although that kills me. Stupid elliot not playing graham. I think i changed my username to bdc after the tigers beat the raiders and bronson harrison just STUNK the place up. It was 2011.

Did Elliott Whitehead play? He's another Canberra SL import with big raps on him

• Locked thread