Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

big scary monsters posted:

I had not heard this before but it's kinda great so thanks.

Glad you like. My favorite track is "Tyrant Symmetry" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLpXjgXr38c
That song has been in my head almost everyday for a few years now.
Specifically that reoccurring little clean guitar solo/melody thing.
It's now one of those first things I play when I pick up a guitar.

That dude is also in a way different band called Mount Moriah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Solefald posted:

I'm putting on a gig this Saturday. Slabdragger, OHHMS, Morass of Molasses and Mower. I need to make up a doomy playlist to play inbetween sets. I'm so behind on my music these days so what can you guys recommend that'll suit the kind of crowd there?

One time i went to see a sludge band and there was a dj who played Hawkwind in between sets, try that

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

A human heart posted:

One time i went to see a sludge band and there was a dj who played Hawkwind in between sets, try that

Nothing after '74 if you know what's good for you.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

From Rigs of Doom on facebook. (edit: @oldmanmanning on IG)

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 18, 2016

Herr Doktor Kreig
Feb 16, 2016

fyodor posted:

From Rigs of Doom on facebook.

Nothing short of gorgeous.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Not doom but when I saw Hot Leg or The Darkness they played that time of my life song from the end of dirty dancing and it was pretty awesome.

Definitely enjoy light 80s soft rock interlude music over in-genre tracks. Hall and Oates :getin:

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Is Dead Meadow still alive? I hope they put out a new album more like their first one.

The rear end Stooge posted:

drat, thanks fellas. I've been drinking the Harvey Milk kool-aid for a while, and I didn't care too much for Dystopia when I listened to Human = Garbage, but I'll check the rest of those out for sure.

I highly recommend Melvins. Even if don't end up liking them, you should definitely give those guys a listen.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Basically if you're posting in this thread and haven't at least heard a couple of Melvins albums, you don't get your stoner/doom/sludge fan license

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I once passed up seeing the Melvins on the second stage at the 96' Lollapalooza, so I could see the Ramones and Rage Against the Machine on the main stage. Before you pull my card it was the last tour of the Ramones and RATM put on one of the greatest shows I have ever experienced. I always said I would make it to see the Melvins after that, but 20 years later I still haven't.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

nate fisher posted:

I once passed up seeing the Melvins on the second stage at the 96' Lollapalooza, so I could see the Ramones and Rage Against the Machine on the main stage. Before you pull my card it was the last tour of the Ramones and RATM put on one of the greatest shows I have ever experienced. I always said I would make it to see the Melvins after that, but 20 years later I still haven't.

RATM are awesome, so that's fair. But Melvins tour all the time so you're still under review. :colbert:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I mean the Melvins are touring with Napalm Death. That is peak this thread.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Best of both worlds.

They got their EU dates around June in Bristol.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

uncleKitchener posted:

Best of both worlds.

They got their EU dates around June in Bristol.

Yeah, I am soooo sad I can't make it to Temples this year. :(

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Honestly, they've been around longer than more people have been alive, so they'll probably keep touring after we're all dead.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Goons in the Johnson City and Asheville area a bunch of us will be heading down from Knoxville for this. Going to be bad rear end.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

fyodor posted:

?

Henchman of Santa posted:

Basically if you're posting in this thread and haven't at least heard a couple of Melvins albums, you don't get your stoner/doom/sludge fan license

this, but instead of Melvins it's every doom band from the 80s

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

A human heart posted:

this, but instead of Melvins it's every doom band from the 80s

I was going to say that I feel like the 90s was really when doom took off, but then I went and looked up the dates some bands formed and I guess you're basically right.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

fyodor posted:

And Melt Banana!

They'll be in town the night after Sunno))) :bernin:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'm road-tripping to MN to see The Melvins tour from Canadaland and I'm super psyched

Shakenbaker posted:

And Melt Banana!

You are gonna be seven shades of deaf, my man :respek:

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Feb 19, 2016

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

big scary monsters posted:

I was going to say that I feel like the 90s was really when doom took off, but then I went and looked up the dates some bands formed and I guess you're basically right.

The 90s is when it started to cross over with stoner rock, which wasn't very good for the music overall imo.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Also the decade that birthed funeral doom (Skepticism, Thergothon, Mournful Congregation and Esoteric among others), the good sort of drone without sitars or bagpipes (Earth formed 1990, Lysol was 92) and Sleep though. Sludge too, I was surprised to see that EHG formed in 88, but they didn't release an LP until 92 and Grief, Buzzoven and Acid Bath all formed in 91 with Corrupted and Noothgrush a couple years later.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

nate fisher posted:

Goons in the Johnson City and Asheville area a bunch of us will be heading down from Knoxville for this. Going to be bad rear end.

Oh poo poo I didn't realize they added dates.

Herr Doktor Kreig
Feb 16, 2016

nate fisher posted:

gently caress me in the face. Missed them in Minneapolis two years ago, who knows when they're coming back.

At least I got tickets to Conan in March. How are they live?

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Shakenbaker posted:

And Melt Banana!

Oh come on, that's just ridiculous.

Still haven't sorted Temples tickets yet because I'm dumb and stupid. Great lineup though I was REALLY bummed out that Cough pulled out, I was looking forward to seeing them again probably the most. I saw them at Roadburn in 2011 and have been itching to see them again since.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I think we have reached peak stoner band name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEDCf3fVUs0

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Hulk Krogan posted:

hahaha, yeah I saw that yesterday and thought of this thread.

Herr Doktor Kreig posted:

At least I got tickets to Conan in March. How are they live?

The time I saw them I quite enjoyed them, they were good.
I'm even considering driving 2 hours to make the Knoxville show this time around. Still on the fence though.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Hulk Krogan posted:

Mmm knew without clicking which it was. It's just so perfectly outrageous

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I like how "bastard" seems to be an after thought.
Mammath Weed Wizard..uh..uh....Bastard?
:2bong:

I just listened to some. Their name has done the job, the music is pretty good but I can't get down with those vocals if it's the high register singing throughout. Instrumentally they sound pretty cool, It's too bad about their name. Wizard Bastard sounds pretty cool and I think would've have gotten the point across.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I don't mind the vocals but I think they'd have a much more unified look if the guitarist and drummer got bangs too.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

I like how "bastard" seems to be an after thought.
Mammath Weed Wizard..uh..uh....Bastard?
:2bong:

I just listened to some. Their name has done the job, the music is pretty good but I can't get down with those vocals if it's the high register singing throughout. Instrumentally they sound pretty cool, It's too bad about their name. Wizard Bastard sounds pretty cool and I think would've have gotten the point across.

Hah, Wizard Bastard is a great name. Weirdly they're from around my hometown in north Wales where you don't see anything but coked up, steroided skinheads clubbing to lovely trancey happy hardcore bollocks so it feels so weird that they exist. When I go to visit for the holidays I just look forward to getting away from civilisation ASAP and enjoying the amazing countryside with a pair of headphones.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Speaking of great bands with dumb names, the new Black Wizard record is their best yet: http://www.revolvermag.com/news/black-wizard-premiere-new-album-new-waste.html

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Juaguocio posted:

Speaking of great bands with dumb names, the new Black Wizard record is their best yet: http://www.revolvermag.com/news/black-wizard-premiere-new-album-new-waste.html

no need to even listen, i'm sure i've heard all the riffs before

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

We need to pull together and start a charity that will donate GOOD band names to those bands in need.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Weedbong.
Spliffsmoker.
Black Weed.
Eclectic Dopemage.

Uh...

Doom... elf... bong... king...

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Dyna Soar posted:

no need to even listen, i'm sure i've heard all the riffs before

Their older stuff is pretty derivative, but this new record is a big step up in terms of songwriting, arranging, harmonizing, and production. I really wish they had changed their name before getting signed, because a lot of people write them off as yet another stoner cliche, when they've actually progressed pretty far beyond that realm.

Killer live band, too.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I was wondering if there was a band simply just called "Riff"

There is. Argentine classic heavy metal/hard rock. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTxDG3JQbo8

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Juaguocio posted:

Their older stuff is pretty derivative, but this new record is a big step up in terms of songwriting, arranging, harmonizing, and production. I really wish they had changed their name before getting signed, because a lot of people write them off as yet another stoner cliche, when they've actually progressed pretty far beyond that realm.

Killer live band, too.

lol if you write bands off because of their names...fuckin dumb

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

nerve posted:

lol if you write bands off because of their names...fuckin dumb

Used to do this with Bongripper. Yeah, I know.

Herr Doktor Kreig
Feb 16, 2016

nosophoros posted:

Used to do this with Bongripper. Yeah, I know.

Same thing with Dopethrone. Never gave them a shot until Hochelaga and now I feel like a bad person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I've done that with Goblin Cock and Orange Goblin. Am I making a mistake with either of those?