Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

reallivedinosaur posted:

You seem to have fallen for the line that high speed low latency broadband access exists everywhere in the world.

The thin client model has been repackaged for sale to the public over and over and nobody ever really falls for it.

My experience is that working remotely sucks dog balls 90% of the time, that will probably continue for the time being.

You can host a VDI server in your office so even if local internet is dogshit *cough*Mexico*cough* people in the office can work fine. Price of 5 nice desktops is the same price as a VDI setup which can serve those 5 power users plus all the admin staff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

You can host a VDI server in your office so even if local internet is dogshit *cough*Mexico*cough* people in the office can work fine. Price of 5 nice desktops is the same price as a VDI setup which can serve those 5 power users plus all the admin staff.

You're a VMWare consultant in Mexico? Thanks for your time and I'll be sure to read your literature when I get a moment.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

blowfish posted:

lol

GMO free isn't actually healthier, unless you are literally insane and will collapse from a panic attack upon seeing gmos in ingredients lists

thank you for pointing that out

I was worried no one would

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nobody is using thin client setups as a consumer. Period. And nobody is wanting to use it over anything other than LAN for enterprise use. The latency can become ridiculous real fast.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

This doesn't actually work in reality fyi

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

bradzilla posted:

Here I made your burrito that is so healthy:

200 calories from fat
23.5g fat total
125mg cholesterol
:eyepop: Sodium 1995mg, more than an entire day's worth
5mg of sugar in a burrito :wtf:
Not pictured: e-coli

drat that's healthy as gently caress

The salt is really the only thing on that list that's not OK. 200 cal from fat isn't worrying when the serving comprises a bit over 1/3 of your daily caloric intake.

Actually, the fact that a single "fast food" item is so rich in energy probably is a bad thing in itself. But it's not empty calories so it's a matter of self-control and not cramming five of those into your maw at once.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

steinrokkan posted:

The salt is really the only thing on that list that's not OK. 200 cal from fat isn't worrying when the serving comprises a bit over 1/3 of your daily caloric intake.

Actually, the fact that a single "fast food" item is so rich in energy probably is a bad thing in itself. But it's not empty calories so it's a matter of self-control and not cramming five of those into your maw at once.

also most of the fat is unsaturated fat, only a little bit is saturated fat, and 0 is trans fat. overall not a terrible meal, unless you've got high blood pressure.

then again people overestimate the unhealthiness of fast food in general. a lot of stuff in fast food joints is deep-fried and attached to giant sodas, if you avoid that stuff it's generally okay.

CabaretVoltaire
Jun 10, 2003
Better than Turin Brakes.

ArbitraryC posted:

the 6300 is basically best performance for the cost, I'm not saying intel doesn't make stronger chips i'm just saying that if you're building an intel rig you're going to be spending more money. You can google it yourself I was just recently looking at parts and literally everyone from tech sites to private forums recommends you go with the 6300 950 combo right now for a 500 buck pc. People start recommending intel based builds when you hit 700 or so but that's 200 more dollars than you need to spend to run pretty much anything at max specs right now, about all you get is more future proofing. There is no mass online conspiracy to get you to buy bad parts it's just amd typically has better budget processors while intel typically has better high end ones.

No dice. They're complete garbage. I built my mrs a PC with one...never again. Maybe just looking at benchmarks they're ok but actually using one nooooooo.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Woden posted:

Desktops are dying, so Samsung, ARM and Google/Apple will just pull and end around like Intel/MS did to IBM and mainframes.

no they arent.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ArbitraryC posted:

People keep saying amd is dying but I'm not so sure, if you do any googling on building a budget gaming tower literally everyone will recommend you go for the amd 6300 + the gtx 950 right now

We have a thread on these very forums about this -

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3671266

Spoiler: It doesn't recommend AMD for anything.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Irradiation posted:

You're really dumb if you think Chipotle is that much healthier.

in what way is a chipotle burrito or taco unhealthy aside from the crazy amounts of sodium

how could rice, beans, veggies, cheese and protein be unhealthy

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

bradzilla posted:

Here I made your burrito that is so healthy:

200 calories from fat
23.5g fat total
125mg cholesterol
:eyepop: Sodium 1995mg, more than an entire day's worth
5mg of sugar in a burrito :wtf:
Not pictured: e-coli

drat that's healthy as gently caress

200 calories from fat in an 825 calorie burrito is on the low end of what's recommended. Also important to break down what kind of fat it is, unsaturated fat is the 'good fat' and that's 80% of the fat in the thing you designed

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
if consuming a chipotle burrito is having a negative impact to your health you got some serious issues that are arising from more than beans and guac

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Modest Mao posted:

if consuming a chipotle burrito is having a negative impact to your health you got some serious issues that are arising from more than beans and guac

Yeah like explosive bloody diarrhea

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
"all fast food is unhealthy" is about as informed as "gluten allergies cause my autism" and the posters in this thread should be embarrassed

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
they gave me such a huge portion of this incredibly nutritious food for my money :qq:

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Mange Mite posted:

Yeah like explosive bloody diarrhea

yes exactly

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
also my money's on sprint. Sprint's gotta die in 2016

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Goddamn! bitch chill out

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Modest Mao posted:

they gave me such a huge portion of this incredibly nutritious food for my money :qq:

it's nice to meet you, guy who knew mr. chipotle in grade school

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Modest Mao posted:

you seem pretty mad that chipotle is in fact unhealthy

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Modest Mao posted:

also my money's on sprint. Sprint's gotta die in 2016

This. God loving willing. Sprint can suck my god drat balls

Acres of Quakers
May 6, 2006

Modest Mao posted:

"all fast food is unhealthy" is about as informed as "gluten allergies cause my autism" and the posters in this thread should be embarrassed

Truly. I expect more from such an esteemed and scholarly organization like somethingawfuldotcom!

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

bradzilla posted:

you seem pretty mad that chipotle is in fact unhealthy

Seriously. Homeboy probably works hard makin sofritas and wrapping overstuffed burritos all day and doesn't need this poo poo from the unwashed plebes of the internet

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

in nonchipotle news expect Sears and KMart to be dead by the end of this year. They're cutting positions and losing a lot of money really fast alongside the store closings.

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot
look a chipotle burrito constructed a certain way might be an okay option but the amount of fatties waddling in there while I'm across the street at the oil change place is pretty telling

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Business Gorillas posted:

sorry if people like burgers made with actual meat instead of whatever mystery product mcdonalds makes their cheeseburgers from?

like i'm sorry if burgers made with things like vegetables and actual meat are too "gourmet" and "fancy" for you

I don't think you're sorry at all!!

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I've bought AMD for my personal computers for 20 years. I remember being so stoked about the Athlon and then about x64. I even had some of the official, metal AMD Inside! stickers. They were on fire!
What went wrong? Bulldozer? Buying ATI?
Sadly, my current systems will likely be my last AMD systems.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
I don't think I've ever met someone who told me they use Sprint for their cell service. Interesting.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Melmac posted:

I don't think I've ever met someone who told me they use Sprint for their cell service. Interesting.

It's really hosed up and weird that those people could be right next to you, and you wouldn't even know: (

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Melmac posted:

I know one guy who uses it and he has a Windows Phone and another running some homebrew Android poo poo

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Melmac posted:

Sprint has a billion virtual network operators selling cheap plans on their network. Virgin Mobile, Boost, Straight Talk, Republic Wireless use the Sprint network just to name a few.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_mobile_virtual_network_operators

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yeah I mean cellphone carriers are generally universally garage but if someone is having poo poo service and complaining 100% chance it's sprint

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
Even though people love to poo poo on them, I've never had anything but great phone and customer service from Verizon. I live a bit out in the boonies and theirs is the only reliable network out here.

I've had my former phone (Galaxy s3) replaced by verizon twice after its power button broke, and within 24 hours had a new phone at my door. Both times, while on the line with customer service, I asked them if there were any new offers they could apply to my plan, and both times my bill got lowered.

My only problem with them wasn't their fault, and is apropos to this thread. I got one of those fancy "made by you" customized Motorola Droid Turbos (even though I swore to never buy a moto phone years ago) before xmas and the goddamn thing's battery stopped wanting to charge after about 3 weeks. Since it was a custom one, it was sent directly from Motorola, so I had to deal with their customer service, not Verizon's. They wanted to charge me $25 for an overnight phone swap, even though I needed one because my less-than-a-month-old battery was dead. I told them to go gently caress themselves, hit up Verizon, and they took that phone back and hooked me up with a new LG at the store within an hour.

I don't get how Motorola is still in business in a world of samsung, apple, LG, and to a lesser extent HTC.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

Cowman posted:

in nonchipotle news expect Sears and KMart to be dead by the end of this year. They're cutting positions and losing a lot of money really fast alongside the store closings.

I honestly don't know how they even get products they don't own (like Craftsman) to sell anymore. Sears and K-Mart eliminated their video game and electronic departments across the board because they were so deficient/behind in payments that the companies refused to send them any more product. The new K-Mart strategy to just buy close-out merch from other shuttered retailers makes sense in light of this, it's the only product they can get since so many other people have cut them off.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

reallivedinosaur posted:

Neither AMD nor Intel are "circling the drain" and this nerd chat is going to chase all the hot ladies right out of the thread if you aren't careful.

Let's talk about fitness clubs, last I heard Gold's Gym is in trouble because the old world muscle man type of gym has no place in our modern society full of shameful fat chicks doing yoga at curves.

Golds is in trouble because their clients were mostly homosexual men and the guys in charge are publicly homophobic.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Captain Yossarian posted:

This. God loving willing. Sprint can suck my god drat balls

They are the only ones willing to give me free unlimited broadband

yogizh
Oct 12, 2015
Dumb Helicopter Joke Enthusiast
AMD will rise from the ashes with their 32-core processors that will be used in consoles, because SONY is too loving greedy to use serious hardware.
If they submit to closed source and console peasantry they have a chance of surviving.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
apparently amd has 10% of total assets compared to qualcomm, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

stealie72 posted:

I don't get how Motorola is still in business in a world of samsung, apple, LG, and to a lesser extent HTC.

HTC is pretty hosed at this point too