Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

I once quit a job and when I turned in my letter they said I didn't need to bother coming to work, so I just got paid for two weeks to stay home. That's about the closest I've gotten to severance when quitting.

Whatever though, free money! :homebrew:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

I did a couple weeks off last time I changed jobs and it was great. Easily could have done more. I did maintain my working sleep schedule the whole time, though, because I knew that if I didn't I'd be sleeping 4 AM to noon within days.

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA

mrmcd posted:

I once quit a job and when I turned in my letter they said I didn't need to bother coming to work, so I just got paid for two weeks to stay home. That's about the closest I've gotten to severance when quitting.

Whatever though, free money! :homebrew:

Yeah - for most everyone else who has quit here (not many) it was pretty much "Ok, GTFO" (and stopped paying immediately) but I think in those cases the people waited too long to quit and basically became toxic. I went up to them about a month before I quit and said "hey, I'm burnt out, can we try and do something about that so I don't quit?" so maybe it's just respect for being up front about it and helping them handle the transition when I decided that what we were doing wasn't helping. Who knows. Money is good, and maintaining a great relationship with them is good too.

I don't start for a couple of weeks, and it'll be great to gently caress off stress free.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Why not take the extra time? For most of us full-time wage slaves, time is our greatest resource, ultimately. Go do something interesting. Last job switch I had I took a 3 month vacation, and plan to do at least that again next time. You have an offer in hand which is a golden opportunity, when else will you have an 8 week opportunity to go travel?

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA

Infinotize posted:

Why not take the extra time? For most of us full-time wage slaves, time is our greatest resource, ultimately. Go do something interesting. Last job switch I had I took a 3 month vacation, and plan to do at least that again next time. You have an offer in hand which is a golden opportunity, when else will you have an 8 week opportunity to go travel?

Well actually... it's affiliated with a university, so the time off policy is pretty incredible, though I take your meaning.

I did take all of December off at my old job as a way to see if I could be not-burnt-out, and have had the last 2 weeks off + next 2 weeks before I start. But you raise a good point - maybe I should take a trip to Seattle or Portland or something on the West Coast since I also racked up a metric fuckton of frequent flier miles my last 7 months at the job.

Also, I'm EXTREMELY excited about the work I'll be doing - so I kind of want to get to it, you know?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

metztli posted:

I did take all of December off at my old job as a way to see if I could be not-burnt-out, and have had the last 2 weeks off + next 2 weeks before I start. But you raise a good point - maybe I should take a trip to Seattle or Portland or something on the West Coast since I also racked up a metric fuckton of frequent flier miles my last 7 months at the job.

I love the PNW but Portland and Seattle are not good vacation destinations at this time of year - it's gray and dreary as gently caress even if it isn't raining (it's always raining). Unless you have a specific reason to visit those cities, I would go somewhere warm (or somewhere colder if you like skiing I guess).

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I'm looking to move on from my first actual dev job that I've been at for 2 years. Are there any extra good sites for finding smaller, younger companies looking for engineers? I've seen a bunch of interesting stuff on Angel.co, and a bit on Stack Overflow but less so there. Beyond that I have no idea where to look. (I'm in NYC)

Good Will Hrunting fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Feb 20, 2016

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I'm looking to move on from my first actual dev job that I've been at for 2 years. Are there any extra good sites for finding smaller, younger companies looking for engineers? I've seen a bunch of interesting stuff on Angel.co, and a bit on Stack Overflow but less so there. Beyond that I have no idea where to look. (I'm in NYC)

I gave Hired a try when I was looking around in Midtown/Lower Manhattan around a year ago. I ended up taking an offer not from Hired, but the experience was generally positive, although I didn't advance to a serious stage with any of the companies on Hired.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Reach out to Jonathan Friedman with Friedman Williams, Dana Klein with Infinity CS, and whoever deals with this stuff at Connections of NY now (all three of my contacts there left in the last year or so). All three of them do lots and lots of startup placements.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

underdog.io is good too, if you're into startups.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If it were me, I'd go gently caress off to a tiny mountain town like Bucaramanga or Cuenca for a month or so. Even after airfare you'll probably come back with more money than if you had stayed at home.

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Right now I'm picking between:

- a week at a resort in Puerto Vallarta, doing nothing but soaking up sun, drinking at the swim-up bar, and being lazy and decadent as hell at the spa

- going to Puerto Rico for a week and seeing Arecibo and doing a bit more adventury things

Taking more time is possible, but I figure this will be the best of both worlds - get some serious down time, and then also get to jump into the work that I love.

Thanks for reminding me to do something other than just putz around my house, goons!

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone, I appreciate it. I'm away next week and my bonus (+ raise with retroactive comp for 4 paychecks) lands on 3/15 but basically as soon as that paycheck is in my account I'm going to start aggressively looking. I'll follow up with how the search is going in a few weeks.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone, I appreciate it. I'm away next week and my bonus (+ raise with retroactive comp for 4 paychecks) lands on 3/15 but basically as soon as that paycheck is in my account I'm going to start aggressively looking. I'll follow up with how the search is going in a few weeks.

Echoing what Chutwig said, try out Hired. Got my current job through them.

Also come with with me at Plated.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

Doh004 posted:

Echoing what Chutwig said, try out Hired. Got my current job through them.

Also come with with me at Plated.

Haha, Plated. Has the SVP of Eng tried to jam Hadoop into everything yet? That was his parting gift when I worked with him before.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

chutwig posted:

Haha, Plated. Has the SVP of Eng tried to jam Hadoop into everything yet? That was his parting gift when I worked with him before.

Nope! No Hadoop!

return0
Apr 11, 2007

return0 posted:

I live in the UK, and was recently hit up by an Amazon recruiter to attend a recruitment event they are hosting here. I never considered applying for them before, and am not really looking for a job right now, but since the role is based in Washington (Seattle?), I figured it would be cool to check it out.

I had a technical phone screen that went okay, the interviewer told me the role is for the "Amazon Hardlines and Amazon Search & Discovery" team. It seems very retail/consumer focussed rather than back-end tech, is this the type of job that will be crazy hours and very high pressure? Also wondering what to expect at the recruitment event itself, apparently there will be four interviews of an hour or so each, if anyone has any experience with them?

So this happened a few days ago. I thought it went okay but not great, but the recruiter who initially contacted me called today and said it went well and Amazon intend to make an offer. Apparently I will hear from two teams I could work at over the next few days, then there is a process to arrive at an actual concrete offer. Is this a normal typical thing at big tech companies, and if so is it a euphemism for more interviewing with specific teams? As a dirty foreign (UK), should I expect a below market rate offer given I'll require visa sponsorship (probably H1B?).

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

If they are going to make an offer, then it sounds like you got the job and they just want to see which product team you'd fit best with.

Not sure about salary but for Americans anything less than $100k/yr is pretty bad for a good software engineer that isn't fresh out of undergrad. Do you know roughly what level you were interviewing for? How many years experience do you have?

return0
Apr 11, 2007

mrmcd posted:

If they are going to make an offer, then it sounds like you got the job and they just want to see which product team you'd fit best with.

Not sure about salary but for Americans anything less than $100k/yr is pretty bad for a good software engineer that isn't fresh out of undergrad. Do you know roughly what level you were interviewing for? How many years experience do you have?

Nearly 10 years experience programming, education is up to an MSc in CS, was doing a PhD but dropped out because gently caress that. Currently my job title is senior software engineer but I am actually line managing some other engineers and doing other lead-like activities (scheduling, technical strategy, high level design). I mostly write code though (80% of the time). The recruiter and engineers throughout the process said they had roles at "all levels". Not sure what to expect for CoL/market rate in Seattle, will need to research it I guess.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

mrmcd posted:

Is this true outside of Silicon Valley? I've been writing code in Chicago for 7 years, and make less than that.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

borkencode posted:

Is this true outside of Silicon Valley? I've been writing code in Chicago for 7 years, and make less than that.

I made it there in about 5-6 years in Chicago so yea.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

borkencode posted:

I wouldn't say that's some gross injustice by Chicago standards, but you could certainly be making more.

zero knowledge
Apr 27, 2008

return0 posted:

As a dirty foreign (UK), should I expect a below market rate offer given I'll require visa sponsorship (probably H1B?).

That would be illegal. US employers are forbidden from discriminating against employees on the basis of their immigration status. Also, keep in mind that while it costs a fair amount of money in legal fees for a company to get you an H1B (low five figures would be my guess), it's peanuts compared to the value added by a skilled software engineer. It would be deeply stupid for a company to underpay you on the basis of being an immigrant when another employer would happily pay you market rate.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
What kind of questions about concurrency/multithreading would you ask someone applying to a job working on HFT-type systems? This is probably my weakest area for the jobs I'm looking at applying to.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

What kind of questions about concurrency/multithreading would you ask someone applying to a job working on HFT-type systems? This is probably my weakest area for the jobs I'm looking at applying to.

"How good are you at eating heaping piles of poo poo, then smiling and asking for more?"

Every person I've ever known who has worked in HFT has been miserable -- long hours and unreasonable demands/expectations are the norm. The pay is very good, though.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Ithaqua posted:

"How good are you at eating heaping piles of poo poo, then smiling and asking for more?"

Every person I've ever known who has worked in HFT has been miserable -- long hours and unreasonable demands/expectations are the norm. The pay is very good, though.

I work at an ad-tech shop now and while I've touched a bunch of components, the most fun I had was working on our bidder.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Ithaqua posted:

I interviewed at Jane Street back in the day and engineers' badges couldn't open the door to the server room during market hours

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Spazmo posted:

That would be illegal. US employers are forbidden from discriminating against employees on the basis of their immigration status. Also, keep in mind that while it costs a fair amount of money in legal fees for a company to get you an H1B (low five figures would be my guess), it's peanuts compared to the value added by a skilled software engineer. It would be deeply stupid for a company to underpay you on the basis of being an immigrant when another employer would happily pay you market rate.

Illegal or not, it's certainly true that H1B recipients must keep a job or else they get deported, which gives extensive power to their employers. I haven't personally heard of anyone being abused by the system, but it's very easy to imagine how it could happen.

return0
Apr 11, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Illegal or not, it's certainly true that H1B recipients must keep a job or else they get deported, which gives extensive power to their employers. I haven't personally heard of anyone being abused by the system, but it's very easy to imagine how it could happen.

Can an H1B get another job elsewhere while employed in the US?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Can you read academic-grade code written by the quants with physics PhD's who have heard of, but not learned anything about, best practices in software engineering? Does seeing a 10k LOC class excite you? Do you work well with stuffed suits?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Vulture Culture posted:

I interviewed at Jane Street back in the day and engineers' badges couldn't open the door to the server room during market hours

Change management rules should mean engineers are not allowed in at all, the important servers should be in NJ2 anyways.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

return0 posted:

Can an H1B get another job elsewhere while employed in the US?

As I understand it (IANAL, TINLA), yes, but if there's more than a very brief gap in their employment then they have to leave the country. The new employer may also have some extra hoops to jump through to "transfer" the visa; I don't know anything about that.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

return0 posted:

Nearly 10 years experience programming, education is up to an MSc in CS, was doing a PhD but dropped out because gently caress that. Currently my job title is senior software engineer but I am actually line managing some other engineers and doing other lead-like activities (scheduling, technical strategy, high level design). I mostly write code though (80% of the time). The recruiter and engineers throughout the process said they had roles at "all levels". Not sure what to expect for CoL/market rate in Seattle, will need to research it I guess.

This is NYC, so I don't know about Seattle, but most senior/lead roles with that kind of background could get $130-160k base. I have 10 years with just a BS and got three offers over $150k in the last year.

Seattle might be different though with a better CoL. I did hear Amazon has a rep of being cheap on the base and perks and making up for it in RSUs though. Their culture is also a bit... controversial. However, lots of engineers have said they learned a ton there and it's a great resume builder.

return0
Apr 11, 2007

mrmcd posted:

This is NYC, so I don't know about Seattle, but most senior/lead roles with that kind of background could get $130-160k base. I have 10 years with just a BS and got three offers over $150k in the last year.

Seattle might be different though with a better CoL. I did hear Amazon has a rep of being cheap on the base and perks and making up for it in RSUs though. Their culture is also a bit... controversial. However, lots of engineers have said they learned a ton there and it's a great resume builder.

Cool. I'm quite excited to try out living in the USA so hopefully they make a decent offer. Right now I work a 40 hour week pretty much every week, and I understand that Amazon has a reputation for trying to pressure people into working a lot of hours, so I guess that's something to consider.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

mrmcd posted:

I have no idea how much to shoot for at ~2 years of experience but I cant recall any job I saw with my experience level and relative skillset being listed for anything sub $95k and most up to $130k or so.

return0
Apr 11, 2007
USA tech salaries are just ridiculous. I get paid a decent wage for where I live in the UK (up north far away from London) and converting my salary from GBP to USD shows I earn $65K. Is the US extremely expensive for housing or petrol something?

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

I have no idea how much to shoot for at ~2 years of experience but I cant recall any job I saw with my experience level and relative skillset being listed for anything sub $95k and most up to $130k or so.

Yeah that sounds about right. Based on a few data points here and other people I know I'd say $110-120k is an acceptable range.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

return0 posted:

USA tech salaries are just ridiculous. I get paid a decent wage for where I live in the UK (up north far away from London) and converting my salary from GBP to USD shows I earn $65K. Is the US extremely expensive for housing or petrol something?

The tech centers of the US tend to coincide with absurd costs of living. San Francisco is the most expensive city in the country and the other Silicon Valley cities aren't all that far behind it. NYC is also very expensive and Seattle is pretty dang high too.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

return0 posted:

Being far and away from a major city is most of it I'd say. The numbers you're seeing are for major metro areas. If I lived and worked far outside of Chicago I'd expect to be making a lot closer to what you are. COL being the major factor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

CoL and expectations is some of it, but theres also just an effect of being in a major metro area that causes you to have higher earning potential I think, even after CoL adjustments.

Money clumps together, and when you're living in an area with a good economy that hosts lots of successful companies, the demand for skilled knowledge workers is much higher, and they have the resources to compete for those workers with better compensation and benefits.