Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
I wonder what that chart would look like with budget numbers on top of the bars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

D_Smart posted:

The hilarious part? Not a single indie dev in that chart. All triple-A studios with millions of dollars, massive teams etc. And they stick lil''l old me in there. Should I be honored?

Star Citizen is an indie game!

Also, stop complaining you are appearing on the same chart as StarCraft II, so you should feel honoured.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Iglocska posted:

According to CIG they are counted separately and that money is not reflected in the funding charts. I still don't get why anyone would want to be a subscriber.

I've seen funding move in increments of $5, so at the very least, that funding counter is capturing something other than ships. The weirdest thing I've seen about the counters is that the fleet number decreases at random times. Funds and "citizens" never decrease.

Here's the action from the past two weeks.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

boviscopophobic posted:

I've seen funding move in increments of $5, so at the very least, that funding counter is capturing something other than ships. The weirdest thing I've seen about the counters is that the fleet number decreases at random times. Funds and "citizens" never decrease.

Here's the action from the past two weeks.

That's an interesting chart, thanks for that.

I imagine the fleet decrease thing is probably people melting ships.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

What's crazy is normal post kickstarter campaigns with nostalgia obsessed lunatics only make like 1% what CIG makes. I'm comparing to Shenmue3 but I think other games had similar results(?).

I donno, but I blame the phrase "Best drat Space Game Ever" for driving people insane. That or money laundering.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

peter gabriel posted:

I've been doing more research and according to this graph:

Everything is fine with Star Citizen, so what gives Goonies, y'all just trolling?

Beer you should repost that more defined image you use with the alpha/beta/etc stages that I always vaguely assure myself that I'll bookmark before going back to furiously editing the MASH wiki.

e; nevermind Tippis is a good.

Dusty Lens fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 20, 2016

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Chocobo posted:

Am I retarded or do simple things like dropping out of supercruise within a reasonable distance of your target take some serious practice in Elite? I overshot my target twice, then dropped out a loving million miles away. I mean, it seems like you could very easily drive yourself into a sun by being off a second in your timing.

What a pretty game.

I probably should have done a tutorial? gently caress it, I'll figure it out on the fly.

Set your throttle to 75% and nearly never have to worry about overshoot. It might take longer but its one less thing to worry about. If your "time to target " get below 0:07 your going too fast, so start slowing down when your closer to 0:20. Your "planetary approach suite" will lower your throttle on its own and you should not overshot. If your on a timer for a mission or on life support due to a open canopy you can always do an "emergency drop" but it will damage your hull.

Hope it help. you might still overshoot on very short distances.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Brownhat posted:

And none of this explains why the thread title was changed to something so lovely, Derek.

I think we deserve

1. An explanation of what this dumbass thread title even means
2. A way better thread title

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

That has to be someone loving with them. Anyone who genuinely spoke like that would spend their whole life being punched in the loving face.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

peter gabriel posted:

I've been doing more research and according to this graph:

Everything is fine with Star Citizen, so what gives Goonies, y'all just trolling?

Yes.

Evil_Greven posted:

I wonder what that chart would look like with budget numbers on top of the bars?

I thought about doing that, but finding reliable numbers proved next to impossible. I also thought about adding metascore or something just to annoy them even more…

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

MilesK posted:

What's crazy is normal post kickstarter campaigns with nostalgia obsessed lunatics only make like 1% what CIG makes. I'm comparing to Shenmue3 but I think other games had similar results(?).

I donno, but I blame the phrase "Best drat Space Game Ever" for driving people insane. That or money laundering.

I blame the loving Katamari of features & ships this game has become along with a head honcho that didn't learn anything related to project management in his 20 years away from gaming's spotlight & appears to have forgotten plenty along the way. Like how to say "no" to development ideas that don't make any loving sense (or his washed up haggard junkie-looking wife).

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Sunswipe posted:

That has to be someone loving with them. Anyone who genuinely spoke like that would spend their whole life being punched in the loving face.

The only person that guy talks to in real life is his mom & generally only to ask her to pick up some goddamn pizza bagels, gosh!

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Sunswipe posted:

Also I'm pretty sure using agile software development isn't a magic excuse to miss every single deadline and never deliver anything on time. It's meant to be MORE responsive and flexible so you should be able to meet more of your goals and have more accurate timescales since you can easily respond to things if they go wrong and reallocate resources.

It would make sense if some of their deadlines got completely missed but others were hit, and the explanation is that they moved resources from project A to project B when unexpected things happened. It's not like "we're so agile that nobody ever finishes anything!" is working as intended.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Bootcha posted:

Afternoon tread! I hope all your posts last night where good and-

:stare:

Dicks.

I have no issue with fuzzknot being protective of me, nor do I care to dictate what she shitposts about and how.

:swoon: :fuzzknot: :swoon:

http://images.google.de/imgres?imgu...c9GAKIQ9QEIHjAA

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Dusty Lens posted:

Beer you should repost that more defined image you use with the alpha/beta/etc stages that I always vaguely assure myself that I'll bookmark before going back to furiously editing the MASH wiki.

e; nevermind Tippis is a good.

Just cuz:

Also don't forget to add eight months to CIG's. Totes fine.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Chalks posted:

Also I'm pretty sure using agile software development isn't a magic excuse to miss every single deadline and never deliver anything on time. It's meant to be MORE responsive and flexible so you should be able to meet more of your goals and have more accurate timescales since you can easily respond to things if they go wrong and reallocate resources.

It would make sense if some of their deadlines got completely missed but others were hit, and the explanation is that they moved resources from project A to project B when unexpected things happened. It's not like "we're so agile that nobody ever finishes anything!" is working as intended.

The problem is they seemingly work on random things that are barely connected to each other instead of starting with the basics

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

Chalks posted:

At this stage in development they should have a pretty good idea of how long it would take to do x, but it's clear they just don't know, because they haven't reached the stage where they've completed a single thing. It's impossible to define a sprint without that knowledge, and it's impossible to gain that knowledge without getting anything completed to an agreed-upon state, be it 'model rendered in the hangar' or 'ship flies correctly in the PTU' or 'targeting working.' I can't imagine what kind of methodology produces results like these, so it seems the best guess is they are either applying one horribly, or they just don't have one.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

I've been on modding teams with a more cohesive workflow, and star citizen has 100 million times the funding

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Chalks posted:

Oh, it's bollocks without doubt. I can't conceive of any management theory that would advocate changing priorities daily or even hourly. I'm just stunned by how much I want to punch this guy who's read a couple of lines from a Wikipedia article, completely misunderstood them and is now using his knowledge to justify a 100 million dollar company being unable to finish the project they've already been paid for.

Cobblers
Feb 5, 2016

Come commandos, on wings of joy we'll fly
To where my bower hangs on high;
Come, and make thy calm retreat,
Among procedurally generated green leaves and blossoms sweet.

Truly the most open of all development.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Daztek posted:

The problem is they seemingly work on random things that are barely connected to each other instead of starting with the basics

Speaking of the basics, shouldn't they have a finished flight model & FPS mechanics for them to actually make Squadron 42 missions & stuff? Or is all of the work just going to mocap cutscenes & ship models right now & they're praying that they actually manage to get those systems to work somehow to bridge together the various acts of Chris' terrible movie? How can they be "working on Squadron 42" when they have no game systems in place?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

runsamok posted:

I blame the loving Katamari
Ben is not entirely to blame for all of none of SC.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

runsamok posted:

I blame the loving Katamari of features & ships this game has become along with a head honcho that didn't learn anything related to project management in his 20 years away from gaming's spotlight & appears to have forgotten plenty along the way. Like how to say "no" to development ideas that don't make any loving sense (or his washed up haggard junkie-looking wife).

I think most people just think of their favorite game and then add the vague features list on top. I still don't understand what this game is supposed to be, but I'm imagining a HD port of privateer with long cutscenes and a lovely death match multiplayer. The cultists see GTAV in space mixed with WoW, and they spread this idea.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Chalks posted:

Its not, and most larger software don't start right up with agile. Agile is better suited for modules on an already stable foundation or smaller project using established API or structure. SC should totally be doing waterfall until it release something more stable.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
Agile is better suited to not being used.

Star Citizens desperately leaping towards the game, but the game keeps sliding further right.
http://imgur.com/BK7Lhgp

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
OK last Elite question from me for a while...

So I'm putting a PC together but I'm way out of the loop with graphics cards now. Last time I bought one was a GeForce 440mx or something and since then it's been consoles for gaming and PC for work.

What is good midrange price to handle Elite? Assume capable everything else.

Thanks

Also Derek please nut up and actually post something instead of hinting at stuff or we might all think you're totally full of dogshit and desperate go remain relevant but can't see how badly you're failing.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

runsamok posted:

Speaking of the basics, shouldn't they have a finished flight model & FPS mechanics for them to actually make Squadron 42 missions & stuff? Or is all of the work just going to mocap cutscenes & ship models right now & they're praying that they actually manage to get those systems to work somehow to bridge together the various acts of Chris' terrible movie? How can they be "working on Squadron 42" when they have no game systems in place?

I asked this very question of Will Lewis when I visited CIG last January. Nobody there knew how to respond.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Ben is convinced that a finished flight model isn't a requirement for S42 I think he's wrong but I'm not a game developer like he is so :shrug:

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

hottubrhymemachine posted:

So I'm putting a PC together but I'm way out of the loop with graphics cards now. Last time I bought one was a GeForce 440mx or something and since then it's been consoles for gaming and PC for work.

Thanks

Also Derek please nut up and actually post something instead of hinting at stuff or we might all think you're totally full of dogshit and desperate go remain relevant but can't see how badly you're failing.

Get a GTX 970. It's the most popular card in steam stats for a good reason. Excellent bang for you buck.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

Thanks

I was running it fine (looking pretty) on a GTX 760 last year, but I have also heard of folks running it 'okay' on a laptop with an i5. I upgraded to a 970 so I can spend too much on VR at some point this year. Probably have a word in http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3741690 to get some broader feedback, tho

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Thanks

Basic Elite is very well optimized. Some folks report running it smoothly at "medium" setting on an i3 with 1GB ddr2 ram and a old nvidia GT of the 500 family. Elite + Horizon is more demanding, but probably anything in the current mid range computer for gamer should suffice.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Dusty Lens posted:

Ben is convinced that a finished flight model isn't a requirement for S42 I think he's wrong but I'm not a game developer like he is so :shrug:

What.

Yes, I'm sure that he is, since CRobber doesn't see the need for one in his movie, and consequently Ben can obviously not think something else.

But still: what?!

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I asked this very question of Will Lewis when I visited CIG last January. Nobody there knew how to respond.

Well, given that the closest thing to footage from Squadron 42 we've seen is the ultra janky Morrow tour late last year I would wager that they're still in the same situation you saw them in. I mean, how much spoiler potential would be in a 90 second clip of actual spaceship or shootmans gameplay?

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You mean they didn't just yell that you didn't understand game development? Strange. I thought they'd at least have been briefed on the standard set of responses.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process

runsamok posted:

Well, given that the closest thing to footage from Squadron 42 we've seen is the ultra janky Morrow tour late last year I would wager that they're still in the same situation you saw them in. I mean, how much spoiler potential would be in a 90 second clip of actual spaceship or shootmans gameplay?

Lol still waiting on the 'press' version of the morrow tour too.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Three visions of private servers.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6385689/#Comment_6385689

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6385783/#Comment_6385783

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6386225/#Comment_6386225

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

IrvingWashington posted:

At this stage in development they should have a pretty good idea of how long it would take to do x, but it's clear they just don't know, because they haven't reached the stage where they've completed a single thing. It's impossible to define a sprint without that knowledge, and it's impossible to gain that knowledge without getting anything completed to an agreed-upon state, be it 'model rendered in the hangar' or 'ship flies correctly in the PTU' or 'targeting working.' I can't imagine what kind of methodology produces results like these, so it seems the best guess is they are either applying one horribly, or they just don't have one.

The thing is that these development methodologies are frequently just used as buzz words. Did they first decide what methodology best suited their project and timescales, or did they look at how they were working then look at the list of possible methodologies and pick the one that's the closest so they don't have to worry about it? "We keep changing what we work on all the time - lets pick "agile" and keep on going!"

CIG's issue seems to be fundamentally a lack of focus which is almost always the fault of those at the top. It's so easy to fall into the trap of getting 90% of everything finished then getting distracted and starting on something else. By the time you come back to the first things, the surrounding systems have changed so you have to rewrite half of it, but you never finish it because something else comes along....

It's all about having managers and bosses who are able to say "I know you're shouting about this feature, but we can't look at it for a few weeks because we need to finish what we're doing now". Chris Roberts not only clearly lacks this ability, he's actually the guy shouting about the random new feature while you're in the middle of something.

There's no way a developer could be productive in that sort of environment. You work on what you're told to work on while the bosses tear their hair out trying to work out why nothing is ever finished or on time.

tastychicken
Jul 17, 2007
Title text goes here

Daztek posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubAjVo--bk4&t=2943s

I liked this tidbit about Chris being in Frankfurt
That smirk too. 5/5

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

This is the shitizen equivalent of arguing over how many angels can dance on the head of a pin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Thanks

I have a AMD R9 and it works fine even at highest settings. A R9 is midrange by now, I think.

• Locked thread