Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aleksendr
May 14, 2014

runsamok posted:

Well, given that the closest thing to footage from Squadron 42 we've seen is the ultra janky Morrow tour late last year I would wager that they're still in the same situation you saw them in. I mean, how much spoiler potential would be in a 90 second clip of actual spaceship or shootmans gameplay?

According to eighace, by last month they had nothing aside assets, not a single mission working from start to finish without crashing. He reckon that even with massive cuts (going below 10h or gameplay, half of it cut-scene) the game cant be published until 1st Qtr 2017.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

fuctifino posted:

I wonder if their reported daily income is $42,000 + whatever they genuinely raised?
They've been lower than that- much lower. But it's weird how consistent it's been. The 42 thing weirdest of all. They split Star Citizen and Squadron 42 presumably expecting a positive outcome. Then the numbers drift down to $42k for several days.

I still think CIG is going to pull that counter in the next few months... More downside than up in sharing that, given how much time has elapsed and how little there is to show for it besides $$$.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

aleksendr posted:

Set your throttle to 75% and nearly never have to worry about overshoot. It might take longer but its one less thing to worry about. If your "time to target " get below 0:07 your going too fast, so start slowing down when your closer to 0:20. Your "planetary approach suite" will lower your throttle on its own and you should not overshot. If your on a timer for a mission or on life support due to a open canopy you can always do an "emergency drop" but it will damage your hull.

Hope it help. you might still overshoot on very short distances.

I think the scale of things is what fucks with me, it's like "oh, I can see X it's right there" but I'm literally days away from it at sub-cruise speeds. Neat game.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

aleksendr posted:

Its not, and most larger software don't start right up with agile. Agile is better suited for modules on an already stable foundation or smaller project using established API or structure. SC should totally be doing waterfall until it release something more stable.

i think the real concern and point is it doesn't matter what methodology they're using or pretending to use, but that they've made deadlines and promises since the project's inception without delivering a thing. it's painfully obvious they've only delivered a non-game by force when one particular deadline potentially could've cost them thousands, if not millions of dollars.

imagine the rush to release "2.0." beautiful assets really, but not a game - or fun - unless you have a really good imagination.

Illfonics was given a job and were delivering based on their given requirements, but something happened. my guess is the PU's cryengine was so modified as to be completely incompatible with Star Marine. they say they've incorportated Star Marine's FPS into the PU, but i'm not sure i believe it. poo poo communication between studios, poo poo money management, poo poo time management.

it's not the developers to blame, it's the terrible management. the people up top. though i'm not saying anything new.

i do wonder just how big of a chunk of money from that $105M+ is going into making cut-scenes instead of a game. and i wonder if we'll ever find out.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Any game that cannot run well on a Sandy bridge i5 2500k is a Bad Game

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Chocobo posted:

I think the scale of things is what fucks with me, it's like "oh, I can see X it's right there" but I'm literally days away from it at sub-cruise speeds. Neat game.

Never go to Hutton orbital. That garage shed of a station is 0.22 light year from alpha centauri. Take 30 minutes of friendship drive to reach .

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Chocobo posted:

It's been a few months but I think you can bind a key to 75% throttle so you just hit that when you get to 7 seconds of your destination and you'll just hold at 7 seconds until you hit the correct speed to drop out.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

It's funny when people answer questions about SP gameplay footage with "We have gameplay footage! Look at the Morrow tour!". Like, motherfucker, that ain't gameplay, that's a cutscene.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/46moxl/casual_citizen_ep8_dramatization_of_lt_eli_prices/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M755SaKiSYI

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
This new thread title sucks dick.

Here's some better infinitely worse ones

Star citizen - Sandi is higher than bens cholesterol

Star citizen - Ben, your hands are on backwards

Star citizen - "What funding graph? Never heard of it..."

Star citizen - There is literally nothing to even make fun of anymore

Star citizen - "No I don't think you understand Timeboxing".....

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"
All this talk of how to drop out of warp (or whatever they call it) in Elite made me realise I have no idea how they do this in Star Citizen. Is it a similar system or do you just select your destination and then arrive there? I've never really paid attention in the travelling bits of any videos I've seen.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

Chalks posted:

It's all about having managers and bosses who are able to say "I know you're shouting about this feature, but we can't look at it for a few weeks because we need to finish what we're doing now". Chris Roberts not only clearly lacks this ability, he's actually the guy shouting about the random new feature while you're in the middle of something.

There's no way a developer could be productive in that sort of environment. You work on what you're told to work on while the bosses tear their hair out trying to work out why nothing is ever finished or on time.

Yeah, I'd be dead by now. Well, according to past experience I'd have quit. What really blows my mind in this situation is the amount of interference that must be coming from the top in order to gently caress up multiple teams consistently. It's funny to think about in the abstract, but harrowing to consider being a part of this.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

grimcreaper posted:

How does it feel to know that you are developing a game MANY times faster than a company thats brought in over $100,000,000.00 and has had like 800 people work on their game?

Thanks for all the comments guys :)

I'm gonna keep driving, having a freaking blast. I actually have Unity Cloud Build working, and everything is source controlled at this point. I want to get out a playable build to you all soon. Thinkin' two weeks.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Wrecked Angle posted:

All this talk of how to drop out of warp (or whatever they call it) in Elite made me realise I have no idea how they do this in Star Citizen. Is it a similar system or do you just select your destination and then arrive there? I've never really paid attention in the travelling bits of any videos I've seen.

SC solved this problem by giving you nowhere to need to warp to! Fidelity!

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Wrecked Angle posted:

Dude they literally don't know how logging out is gonna work, you really think they've thought of this?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Wrecked Angle posted:

Star Citizen has a very small "universe" of only 100 stars. So far we've seen warp navigation via simply pointing your ship at a glowing co-ordinate in the sky and pushing a button. This may be a feasible navigational system for such a small number of locations since it seems unlikely that any destination could take more than 3-4 jumps.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

we had the potential for Your Moms A Stretch Goal or Hail Hitler and Satan as thread titles and we end up with this nonsense? c'mon now

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

alf_pogs posted:

we had the potential for Your Moms A Stretch Goal or Hail Hitler and Satan as thread titles and we end up with this nonsense? c'mon now

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

AugmentedVision posted:

Dude they literally don't know how logging out is gonna work, you really think they've thought of this?

Yeah, I've just watched a video and at the moment it looks like you just click on a destination and then it switches to an out of ship view for a few seconds and then you arrive there. Wow, it's going to be so much fun being a space trucker in SC...

*Look at icon
*Click
*Wait 5 seconds
*Arrive
*Rinse and repeat

I mean, I know the Elite method can be a bit tedious but at least you have to do something to get to where you wanna go.

Also :lol: look at this guy trying to land all serious like in this janky mess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hnvt8kFloPA&t=1015s

Landing gear deployed
Landing gear raise..Landing gear deployed
Weapon system damaged
Landing gear raised
*view of pilot getting out of chair upside down

:doh:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Ostentatious posted:

Any game that cannot run well on a Sandy bridge i5 2520m is a Bad Game

fyp

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

peter gabriel posted:

I've been doing more research and according to this graph:

Everything is fine with Star Citizen, so what gives Goonies, y'all just trolling?

Can someone fix this drat graph so the length of development and the bar are the right length. It bothers me.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Cobblers posted:

Truly the most open of all development.

Just in case anyone wants to track progress, check out the public trello.

https://trello.com/b/GZRlkiQu/solar-plebeian

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Iglocska posted:

Also, stop complaining you are appearing on the same chart as StarCraft II, so you should feel honoured.

Good point. I'll just shutup now then.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Chalks posted:

Star Citizen has a very small "universe" of only 100 stars. So far we've seen warp navigation via simply pointing your ship at a glowing co-ordinate in the sky and pushing a button. This may be a feasible navigational system for such a small number of locations since it seems unlikely that any destination could take more than 3-4 jumps.
Forgive me a tangent but man, 100 stars... I keep forgetting that's the target (and they'be barely finished a fraction.)

100 stars is like a fraction of the size of the explorable realm in Starflight-- a game which fit on one or two floppies in the 80s-- and, decades later, it's still arguably the best drat space sim ever.

Elite's size is overkill-- the scale is both wonder and curse. But 100 stars? It's amazing then to see some citizens talking about their plans to be explorers in the game. Within the first day of full release, assuming it ever arrives, the exploration and discovery phase will be over.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Wrecked Angle posted:

Yeah, I've just watched a video and at the moment it looks like you just click on a destination and then it switches to an out of ship view for a few seconds and then you arrive there. Wow, it's going to be so much fun being a space trucker in SC...

I think it also turns you into the ship or something i don't remember

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

G0RF posted:

Forgive me a tangent but man, 100 stars... I keep forgetting that's the target (and they'be barely finished a fraction.)

100 stars is like a fraction of the size of the explorable realm in Starflight-- a game which fit on one or two floppies in the 80s-- and, decades later, it's still arguably the best drat space sim ever.

Elite's size is overkill-- the scale is both wonder and curse. But 100 stars? It's amazing then to see some citizens talking about their plans to be explorers in the game. Within the first day of full release, assuming it ever arrives, the exploration and discovery phase will be over.

Yeah, exploration simply isn't a thing in SC. We've already seen full maps of all the stars, who owns what etc. There's no exploration to be done in the tiny corner that humanity is apparently confined to in this "'universe"

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I asked this very question of Will Lewis when I visited CIG last January. Nobody there knew how to respond.

One thing I picked up on is that each ship manufacturer has a separate "pipeline," and ship flight models don't use a common design architecture (in code). This is a really scary thing, because that means their implementation isn't generic. That means everything, from the 3d modeling, animation, to the flight model, to the damage system, weapons system, etc is all hand-fitted to each ship manufacturer type (and maybe each ship type). This is why ships take so long, and why they're so buggy. Only the most nihilistic and/or untalented programmers (who are just thankful to not be fired) would put up with that poo poo. There's just no way to finish a game of this complexity without a brilliant and generic architecture.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Chalks posted:

Yeah, exploration simply isn't a thing in SC. We've already seen full maps of all the stars, who owns what etc. There's no exploration to be done in the tiny corner that humanity is apparently confined to in this "'universe"

i dunno, games like X3 and Escape Velocity don't have all that many systems but when i played them i had this feeling of exploring the unknown and seeing a bunch of interesting crap going on. you could make a 100-system universe interesting just probably not in a MMO with supposedly 1 million players

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I asked this very question of Will Lewis when I visited CIG last January. Nobody there knew how to respond.

Yes - that's how it should be done. That's how we did it in LOD.

We did basic fps w/ test weapons

Then basic vehicle dynamics

Then basic aircraft dynamics

Then we started building the actual game as we cobbled it all together the custom engine

Then we started refining things: fps, vehicles, aircraft

As I type this, the fps aspect of LOD is still ganky because we never went back to tweak (e.g. walking feels like you're gliding - only because I load that head bobbing poo poo) it. That's going in the next update.

In the .07 we just released, we had gone back to the 2013 aircraft* dynamics to clean that up and make it production ready.

Next, fps mechanics, then vehicles get the same "tweak + clean" treatment.

And since the aircraft flight dynamics still need tweaks, not that it's in the public build, it too is going to now be in "on-going" tweaks schedule.

Same with our content. Since some of our models (e.g. characters) were built to a different target machine spec, we just spent two months improving them. The aircraft 3D cockpits (we ripped out all the old ones) and some aircraft are currently undergoing the same cleanup pass.

5 years later, we have a game in which you start in fps, enter a ship, fly in space, jump to a planet, land, get out in fps. No "fidelity" bullshit. And it just works. Because we built a loving engine to power the game I designed.

* despite what those assholes on /r/DerekSmart/ spout, we've had aircraft in the game (in engine, not in level editor - since we don't have a "live" editor like CryEngine where you can build/run the game in it) since 2011. We even have videos and images of them up on http://lodmmo.com/mediapage/

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Star Citizen - Den of the Crobbler
Star Citizen - $108 million screen saver
Star Citizen - Ask not for whom the horn paaaarps
Star Citizen - pre-pre-pre-pre Alpha

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Dusty Lens posted:

Ben is convinced that a finished flight model isn't a requirement for S42 I think he's wrong but I'm not a game developer like he is so :shrug:

This is news, why? That's how they discount such discussions so that they can leave stuff as-is, in a half-rear end state and call it done. Have you not been up to speed?

SQ42, as I've said since last year, is never - ever - seeing the light of day in 2016. And if they do somehow survive 2016 to the point of releasing any form of SQ42 next year, it's going to be the same crap they have now. Case in point: how long has Arena Commander been out? And it's still lovely? How much "progress" have they made on the mPU as promised? I rest my case.

And they have almost 300 people working worldwide on a game that's not even half what we've done in LOD with less money and a small indie team.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Wrecked Angle posted:

Landing gear deployed
Weapon system damaged
Landing gear raised

I am the thrusters which allow the ship to move in directions other than forward which are modeled using accurate physics.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Wrecked Angle posted:

*Look at icon
*Click
*Wait 5 seconds
*Arrive
*Rinse and repeat

I mean, I know the Elite method can be a bit tedious but at least you have to do something to get to where you wanna go.

Also :lol: look at this guy trying to land all serious like in this janky mess.

Landing gear deployed
Weapon system damaged
Landing gear raised

The basic hyperjump mechnics of Elite is not really better. Its 1 - align to coords. 2 - charge friendship drive. 3- jump. 4-:frontear:.

Its the intrasolar navigation that is much more interesting, with FTL acceleration, possibility of being interdicted and if your not patient enough to set your throttle to 75% and leaving it there you have to correctly judge your acceleration/deceleration rate to not overshoot the planet your aiming for.

One of the nice feature is that even if they did not implement orbital physics, mass still interact with your FTL drive (who work by compressing the space/time dimensions. Mass does(roughly, i know the real physic is not as simple) the same, so already compressed S/T, like a .zip of a .jpg, can not be compressed furthermore, meaning you move slower in it), so if your planned intrasystem route get close to another heavy stellar body like a gas giant you get slowed down, making curved or at least angled road much faster.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Tippis posted:

What.

Yes, I'm sure that he is, since CRobber doesn't see the need for one in his movie, and consequently Ben can obviously not think something else.

But still: what?!

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/5302019/#Comment_5302019

The fun never ends in the fun factory.

Mick Jaggoff
Sep 11, 2012

Ag Bengip posted:

See you in the 'Pire

CU in the P

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Saw this in the chat thread. Notice anything familiar?

:gary:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Justin Tyme posted:

It's funny when people answer questions about SP gameplay footage with "We have gameplay footage! Look at the Morrow tour!". Like, motherfucker, that ain't gameplay, that's a cutscene.

Yeah, it's about half a step above editor footage. Oh, you got first-person control? Great! How about, uhh, collisions? Maps? Spaceship control? Spaceship enemies? FPS enemies? Interactions? Y'know, gameplay?

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Chalks posted:

So that's a no to exploration, trading/space trucking is gonna be a click fest with no actual gameplay and we haven't heard anything about mining or whatever. There's just one enemy race so are you just gonna be fighting the same few ships over and over again in missions?

Players can't capture poo poo so persistence in the PU seems mostly meaningless other than keeping track of your inventory.

What exactly are you supposed to be doing for 'years' in this game again?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

aleksendr posted:

According to eighace, by last month they had nothing aside assets, not a single mission working from start to finish without crashing. He reckon that even with massive cuts (going below 10h or gameplay, half of it cut-scene) the game cant be published until 1st Qtr 2017.

Last Oct, I said it was 2017. If they survive 2016. So far, my sources tell me they have no reason to believe that SQ42 is ever going to see 2016, let alone Q1/2017. At this point, they have no "game".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

G0RF posted:

dont worry man, once they get that new pipeline going all the systems will be done in record pace

for now continue to enjoy the 1 space station in the baby poo

• Locked thread