Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

SMG is one of the best posters on this accursed website

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
SMG is just contrarian.
It's nice when the contrarianism lines up with myself. Even though I was disappointed with the ghostbusters teaser the fanboys have been really loving insufferable and whiny.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

rodbeard posted:

Wait so SMG is actually funny when he's posting outside of CD?

I'm going to guess no

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

rodbeard posted:

No. No he isn't.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

rodbeard posted:

Having read enough of SMG's diatribes, I think there's fully a chance he wasn't joking with those posts. I never can tell.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

rodbeard posted:

Maybe not funny, but he's always fun.

quote:

Duke 3D homaged/parodied 80s/early 90s action films by making the villains such ridiculous villain caricatures that Duke was an acceptable protagonist by comparison.

Roddy Piper and Snake Plissken are goddamn psychopaths in They Live and Escape from NY, but the point of the films is that society is so broken that these guys can thrive. It’s a deliberate part of the films, presenting extreme cynicism (Snake ignores a rape-in-progress because he’s that desensitized and amoral) with a smattering of dark humor (Snake’s nickname apparently comes from his dick tattoo).

Duke 3D’s pig cops were in a context where the Rodney King beating and the LA riots were still fresh in people’s minds. Not only that, but the villains behind the pigs were basically rapists - the cheesy “mars needs women” premise getting a gruesome subversion with the Aliens-referencing outcome. Duke 3D didn’t joke about the rape. It treated rape as a serious problem equivalent to racism and class warfare, to which Duke was a source of catharsis if not any actual social change. (Duke is was a parodic figure specifically because, despite being a working-class shmoe, he’s so unenlightened that he’s exclusively driven by basic urges to gently caress and kill.)

The women and civilians in Duke 3D were just “normal” people doing their jobs, even if they are strippers or whatever. In other words, they’re us. They’re the folks feeling oppressed by the government corruption and other social ills, who are crying out for a populist hero to save them. That Duke is ultimately an idiot gave the game a measure of honest-to-god complexity.

DNF treats these “normal” characters with relentless and utter contempt.

Any pretense that Duke was a working-class hero have been dropped, as now he’s a apparently a billionaire in a solid-gold penthouse with a loving throne. The aliens no longer represent police corruption or the patriarchy, but rather, “foreign cultures” (see: the WMD joke). And, obviously, they joke about the rape now because the people being raped are no longer audience stand-ins, but rather a bunch of semi-conscious inhuman inferiors.

(What makes the Olsen twins so objectionable that they need to get taken down several pegs anyways? Besides that they’re female, of course. Since when did they represent “wholesomeness” and why is wholesomeness the enemy now?)

The aliens are basically now equivalent to Duke. The line separating him from the baddies is altogether erased. He’s not defending anything good, even accidentally, because instead of reacting against the status quo (however clumsily) Duke is the status quo now. And it’s loving unbearable.

quote:

I think the change in atmosphere from previous Duke games makes sense when you realize that the people who are making Duke Nukem Forever and the people who are buying Duke Nukem forever are the same exact people who bought and played the first games, almost a decade and a half later. DNF is quite literally a mid-life crisis.

It’s been fourteen years since the last time Duke did anything. He can’t run as fast or as far as he used to. He can’t carry as many guns as he used to. He can’t take a bullet as well as he used to. The frat-boy sensibility about women from the previous games has darkened to a sense of fear and no small resentment (the pregnancy motif in the Alien level is important here- regretting having children, Duke?) The game’s willingness to make fun of its protagonist even as it supports him is completely gone, because its desperate clawing after virility cannot tolerate that.

For a game sold as a comedy, it takes the fight to preserve the masculinity and youth of its main character incredibly seriously, not realizing that the fight is already lost. When a vehicle breaks down on Duke Nukem, he responds “Aw, and it got such good gas mileage.” That is not a thing Schwarzenegger or Van Damme or Bruce Campbell would say in the films Duke Nukem is supposed to be parodying. That is a thing your dad says when the Volvo is beyond repair.

Duke Nukem Forever is a game about an aging sexually insecure man, made by an aging sexually insecure man, sold to an audience of aging sexually insecure men, which perfectly captures their anxieties. Duke Nukem Forever is art.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Republicans posted:

#ObamaAndKids has been trending today and it's chock full of goodness.

I'm gonna miss that guy. :(

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
SMG is always funny, like it is amazing people get piss off about his funny posts. Why are you getting angry at the funny?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

greatn posted:

Nanny McPhee is the ultimate tsundere

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

PBS Newshour posted:

SMG is always funny, like it is amazing people get piss off about his funny posts. Why are you getting angry at the funny?

You mistake people rolling their eyes at his dumb gimmick with anger.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Woah dude, cool your jets. Just laugh at the funny dude.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

PBS Newshour posted:

There's nothing to laugh at though

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

TontoCorazon posted:

There's nothing to laugh at though

I'm sorry your sense of humor was stillborn

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

rodbeard posted:

He's funny in CD too, just more long-winded about it (and he also sincereposts there pretty often, generally about found footage movies)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Travis343 posted:

SMG is one of the best posters on this accursed website

Literally ban all who oppose SMG supremacy

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Target of joke declares joke to not be funny, also dumb.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

DavidAlltheTime posted:

I wear sunglasses sometimes too.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

You fucken piece of poo poo.

my jam

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

LORD OF BUTT posted:

He's funny in CD too, just more long-winded about it (and he also sincereposts there pretty often, generally about found footage movies)

Oh I honestly think SMG has a lot of interesting things to say about film from a high falutin' perspective (I have a degree in film, so I can parse what he says well enough) it's just his mental gymnastics he performs when someone has an equally valid or better reading of a work than what his single minded philosophy provides.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Oh I think A WET BUTT makes some funny posts sometimes (I have a degree in idiocy from bullshit college 2010 also i fart a lot) but id prefer if he made less funny posts so i could smoke my incredibly dry pipe more and look down at these forums wink butt fart oceans of urine

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

When you say SMG is funny do you mean funny haha or funny weird?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Machai posted:

I like the funny finnish comics. I refuse to say if they are funny ha ha or funny weird.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Machai posted:

Whichever makes you happier. SMG exists to make you happy.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
SMG has been doing his act for years, and he still inspires an argumental derail everytime he's brought up. He's a good gimmick.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I repeat, please ban everyone who doesn't appreciate SMG.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Snapchat A Titty posted:

I repeat, please ban everyone

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ratspeaker posted:

I honestly, sincerely thought Jeb was going to pull a Budd Dwyer while he was up on stage. I was on the edge of my seat, wondering if I was going to watch a man die. Why else would his speech be so fatalistic? Why else would he have bought that gun?? This thread has gotten to me.

Aliquid posted:

chekhov fuckin' pissed rn

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ratspeaker posted:

I honestly, sincerely thought Jeb was going to pull a Budd Dwyer while he was up on stage. I was on the edge of my seat, wondering if I was going to watch a man die. Why else would his speech be so fatalistic? Why else would he have bought that gun?? This thread has gotten to me.

Aliquid posted:

chekhov fuckin' pissed rn

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Oh I think A WET BUTT makes some funny posts sometimes (I have a degree in idiocy from bullshit college 2010 also i fart a lot) but id prefer if he made less funny posts so i could smoke my incredibly dry pipe more and look down at these forums wink butt fart oceans of urine

Wut

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Oh joy another loving SMG derail in another iteration of the Quotes thread.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
edit:

atomicthumbs has a new favorite as of 07:38 on Feb 21, 2016

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Clitch posted:

SMG has been doing his act for years, and he still inspires an argumental derail everytime he's brought up. He's a good gimmick.
Even when his posts are bad, the way people with all the desire to Helldump him, but without either the balls or the brains to, spontaneously poo poo themselves to call him out regardless makes the bad posts worth it.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Please, no more SMG chat.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

trying to jack off posted:

no one is yet to still come up with a comeback to the deez nuts own

apropos to nothing posted:

this is one of those instances where future generations will look back and think how ignorant we must have been because the answer is so obvious to them but their teacher will remind them that the time was different and people had only just started loving their computers

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

But do these future people also cum in their computers?

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Choco1980 posted:

Oh I honestly think SMG has a lot of interesting things to say about film from a high falutin' perspective (I have a degree in film, so I can parse what he says well enough) it's just his mental gymnastics he performs when someone has an equally valid or better reading of a work than what his single minded philosophy provides.

Oh word?

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

And so, the curse of Bush's brain strikes once again.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Snapchat A Titty posted:

I repeat, please ban everyone who doesn't appreciate SMG.

*in wavering Hans Moleman voice* ...I don't appreciate SMG... Oh dear...

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Stoatbringer posted:

Right at the very end of the old-coin-ruined-by-polishing-it video -
"It's the worst tragedy I've ever seen."

Nuebot posted:

A second polishing rag is hitting the coin!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

PBS Newshour posted:

What's the name for the condition where you see hot jets everywhere you look?