Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

G0RF posted:

They've been lower than that- much lower. But it's weird how consistent it's been. The 42 thing weirdest of all. They split Star Citizen and Squadron 42 presumably expecting a positive outcome. Then the numbers drift down to $42k for several days.

I still think CIG is going to pull that counter in the next few months... More downside than up in sharing that, given how much time has elapsed and how little there is to show for it besides $$$.

You know there is a story behind the "42" thing right? It's all on Sandi. It's her lucky number. Foundry42, Gemini42, Squadron42 and all the other entities and things with 42 in the name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Wrecked Angle posted:

So that's a no to exploration, trading/space trucking is gonna be a click fest with no actual gameplay and we haven't heard anything about mining or whatever. There's just one enemy race so are you just gonna be fighting the same few ships over and over again in missions?

Players can't capture poo poo so persistence in the PU seems mostly meaningless other than keeping track of your inventory.

What exactly are you supposed to be doing for 'years' in this game again?

Reddit told me just flying around in Star Citizen is more fun than any recent released game

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"
I mean, it's loving weird that all these nerds are throwing money at their screens for Star Citizen when it seems all they want is Elite with the ability to get out and float about a bit.

Then these idiots will realise that the only thing more annoying than getting your ship blown up is getting 360noscoped by some CoD kiddy while trying to check out your quest logs or whatever and leaving your $1000 autism chariot just floating there.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Decrepus posted:

I am the thrusters which allow the ship to move in directions other than forward which are modeled using accurate physics.

I am the VTOL fans which produce thrust and generate clouds of dust in a vacuum.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Wrecked Angle posted:

So that's a no to exploration, trading/space trucking is gonna be a click fest with no actual gameplay and we haven't heard anything about mining or whatever. There's just one enemy race so are you just gonna be fighting the same few ships over and over again in missions?

Players can't capture poo poo so persistence in the PU seems mostly meaningless other than keeping track of your inventory.

What exactly are you supposed to be doing for 'years' in this game again?

Exactly. CIG has only developed assets and not a single system above what the basic cryengine offer (move, shoot)

As of things are now, you can have a more meaningful gaming experience by going to the dollar store, buying 2 airplane toys you like the look off, giving one to your child (nephew, niece, ward, neighbors kid) and running after each other while doing spaceship noises. The rules are roughly the same and all that matter is the dream

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

star citizen seems like the sort of game that attracts people who actually don't play video games in the same way I don't think Chris Roberts has played a video game in 10+ years. they only have an interest in this one project and nothing else.

They have no context for other massive projects, perhaps they all think the best games have the design time of Duke Nukem Forever

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

D_Smart posted:

You know there is a story behind the "42" thing right? It's all on Sandi. It's her lucky number. Foundry42, Gemini42, Squadron42 and all the other entities and things with 42 in the name.

i thought that was just the hilarious space number that makes everyone laugh from Hitchhiker's Guide.

get it?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Chalks posted:

Star Citizen has a very small "universe" of only 100 stars. So far we've seen warp navigation via simply pointing your ship at a glowing co-ordinate in the sky and pushing a button. This may be a feasible navigational system for such a small number of locations since it seems unlikely that any destination could take more than 3-4 jumps.

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

i dunno, games like X3 and Escape Velocity don't have all that many systems but when i played them i had this feeling of exploring the unknown and seeing a bunch of interesting crap going on. you could make a 100-system universe interesting just probably not in a MMO with supposedly 1 million players

Fun fact: X³:TC has 229 “systems” (really map pieces) containing 1,691 stations, 100 docks, 42 shipyards, and 3096 asteroids/mining spots.
EVE Online has 100 regions splitting up 8035 star systems, containing 5185 fixed stations, untold player-owned stations + outposts + customs offices, and 471,577 celestials (stars, planets, moons, etc).

Great. So basically, once one space flight game is done, they're going to go back and re-do all the flight characteristics and “flight models” for the same ships in a different game. And they haven't really started on the first yet… Sounds like a plan. :thumbsup:

kordansk posted:

Can someone fix this drat graph so the length of development and the bar are the right length. It bothers me.
…but… I already have. :ohdear:

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

D_Smart posted:

There's no way it's not a hitch hiker's reference. They've even got a towel as a backer reward. It's all that same tired reference.

I also seriously doubt Sandi is the Douglas Adams fan in that family.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"
[Tell Me] How to balance a Gatling Gun mounted on the nose of a spaceship with the need to get out and EVA in order to complete a mission?

Of course, wait until noone is around would be a good idea. Might be a long wait if you cram 1,000,000 nerds into 1,000 locations though.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Chalks posted:

There's no way it's not a hitch hiker's reference. They've even got a towel as a backer reward. It's all that same tired reference.

Yeah, the Sandi thing seems like a stretch. And even if it's true, who cares? They're not supposed to use a certain number anywhere just because Sandi likes it? :rolleyes:

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Someone should challenge Lesnick to not say or write "Wing Commander" or make any reference to "Wing Commander" for a week.

tbh, I think it would actually kill him.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

D_Smart posted:

lol

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Like, seriously, someone just tell him straight up, "We don't care about Wing Commander, it was a poo poo game and one of the worst films ever".

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

aleksendr posted:

Exactly. CIG has only developed assets and not a single system above what the basic cryengine offer (move, shoot)

As of things are now, you can have a more meaningful gaming experience by going to the dollar store, buying 2 airplane toys you like the look off, giving one to your child (nephew, niece, ward, neighbors kid) and running after each other while doing spaceship noises. The rules are roughly the same and all that matter is the dream

...ahem. Or you could just play LOD? Just sayin' :)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

runsamok posted:

Well, given that the closest thing to footage from Squadron 42 we've seen is the ultra janky Morrow tour late last year I would wager that they're still in the same situation you saw them in. I mean, how much spoiler potential would be in a 90 second clip of actual spaceship or shootmans gameplay?

I think they're terrified to admit that Arena Commander really is how combat and flight will work in their game. Go play Vanduul Swarm. That's starship combat in Squadron 42. Ben kind of admitted it off-hand during a RTV, but I think the reality is that they really do have no intention of improving gameplay any further with respect to the flight model and combat.

Wrecked Angle posted:

You mean they didn't just yell that you didn't understand game development? Strange. I thought they'd at least have been briefed on the standard set of responses.

Honestly they were all really nice. I left that day feeling pretty good about the game and the people working there. Well except for Chris who blew me off.

Toops posted:

One thing I picked up on is that each ship manufacturer has a separate "pipeline," and ship flight models don't use a common design architecture (in code). This is a really scary thing, because that means their implementation isn't generic. That means everything, from the 3d modeling, animation, to the flight model, to the damage system, weapons system, etc is all hand-fitted to each ship manufacturer type (and maybe each ship type). This is why ships take so long, and why they're so buggy. Only the most nihilistic and/or untalented programmers (who are just thankful to not be fired) would put up with that poo poo. There's just no way to finish a game of this complexity without a brilliant and generic architecture.

The architecture is apparently the only thing about Star Citizen that isn't generic.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Tippis posted:

Fun fact: X³:TC has 229 “systems” (really map pieces) containing 1,691 stations, 100 docks, 42 shipyards, and 3096 asteroids/mining spots.
EVE Online has 100 regions splitting up 8035 star systems, containing 5185 fixed stations, untold player-owned stations + outposts + customs offices, and 471,577 celestials (stars, planets, moons, etc).

Great. So basically, once one space flight game is done, they're going to go back and re-do all the flight characteristics and “flight models” for the same ships in a different game. And they haven't really started on the first yet… Sounds like a plan. :thumbsup:

…but… I already have. :ohdear:

actually now i look at it escape velocity has hundreds of systems, containing multiple worlds and stations in each. It's just a 2d sprite game but the scale is impressive and you'd need hundreds of systems filled with stuff to make even a single-player game work for exploration.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Hey Lesnick, we know you read this, so here's something for you, I compiled a list of all the games that are miles better than Wing Commander.

Here's the list:

Every game known and unknown to man.

The End.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Chalks posted:

Douglas Adams is great for making really stupid people feel smart

he's funny but his books aren't real deep or difficult to grasp

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Chalks posted:

It's not.

Mick Jaggoff
Sep 11, 2012

D_Smart posted:

Of course, that's the number of degrees she has earned. It all makes sense now.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

D_Smart posted:

Not buying it Derek. It's just a Hitchhiker's rip off. They might have retconned it into being the reason after people like me started making fun of their inability to make their own source material, but the real reason is crobbles just can't stop being a filthy plagiarist.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

D_Smart posted:

It's not.

I do not believe you. There's no way Chris isn't large enough a hack that he's not just using a hitchhiker's reference.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

i dunno, games like X3 and Escape Velocity don't have all that many systems but when i played them i had this feeling of exploring the unknown and seeing a bunch of interesting crap going on. you could make a 100-system universe interesting just probably not in a MMO with supposedly 1 million players

You can make a single system interesting and full of crazy things to explore just by changing the scale of things. Hell you can make a single planet, or a single city. It's all about the quantity and quality of content and the sense of scale. CIG can make a single system interesting and full of things to explore if they do it properly. And they'll have to, since if they really expect 1 million people to play among 100 systems then that means the popular systems will need enough 'stuff" and space to occupy the equivalent of the average population of EVE Online.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

I mean ffs the $42 million stretch goal was the towel.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13812-Letter-From-The-Chairman-42-Million

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

According to my sources everyone got a towel in their hangar as the 42 million stretch goal because Sandi likes towels.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

aleksendr posted:

Basic Elite is very well optimized. Some folks report running it smoothly at "medium" setting on an i3 with 1GB ddr2 ram and a old nvidia GT of the 500 family. Elite + Horizon is more demanding, but probably anything in the current mid range computer for gamer should suffice.

It runs on my Athlon II X3 720 (OCed to 3.21 Ghz) with a 560 Ti. Which had big problems with the loving HANGER of SC. Though even MWO wasn't easy for this PC. Though I've only played ED:Arena Combat

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

According to my sources, Cloud Imperium was named after the huge cannabis clouds Sandi leaves in her wake.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
The same source confirms 'Imperium' is just a misspelling of 'emporium'.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

I thought it was a reference to the ten empire war that ended up creating the ten stimpires :psyduck:

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer
"Sandi Gardiner" and "Cloud Imperium" have the same number of letters :tinfoil:

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

list reasons why sandi keeps wearing those terrible glasses (I refuse to believe weed because eye drops exist)

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I do not believe you. There's no way Chris isn't large enough a hack that he's not just using a hitchhiker's reference.

I don't care. I know two people who know the origins of that 42 number and which predates Star Citizen fiasco. It has absolutely nothing to do with Douglas Adams.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Google Butt posted:

list reasons why sandi keeps wearing those terrible glasses (I refuse to believe weed because eye drops exist)

She thinks she's Johnny Depp.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Yes. I know. It's completely and utterly unrelated. It's a Red Herring.

Hey, this is easy. Ask Ben. He knows.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Chocobo posted:

I think the scale of things is what fucks with me, it's like "oh, I can see X it's right there" but I'm literally days away from it at sub-cruise speeds. Neat game.
Here's another hot tip that might be useful: the entrance to the big space stations points toward the planet/moon/whatever that the station is orbiting. Combine that with how celestial bodies slow you down in supercruise as you near them and the fastest path to your destination is often not a straight line. If you arc up and over planet/moon/whatever to approach the station from above/below the station's orbital plane, fly into the area between the station and its parent planet/moon/whatever, then point towards the station, you'll drop out of supercruise on the side of the station's mailslot and won't get slowed to a figurative crawl when passing by the planet.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Xaerael posted:

Hey Lesnick, we know you read this, so here's something for you, I compiled a list of all the games that are miles better than Wing Commander.

Here's the list:

Every game known and unknown to man.

The End.

After playing some of the games, I assume all wing commander fans dream of being so good at their jobs that they'll be instantly recognized as the cool dude in a bar, despite being a horrible person in a cult, kinda like Tom Cruise in Top Gun.

Kinda like what :pgabz: has been saying.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

D_Smart posted:

I don't care. I know two people who know the origins of that 42 number and which predates Star Citizen fiasco. It has absolutely nothing to do with Douglas Adams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf0e3sT_Jeg&t=10s

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Sandi Gardiner
Raised Darning
Errands Aiding
Arenas Ridding
Dreading Rains (ie. melting)
Dander Raising
Danders Airing
Raided Snaring (Goons!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

That's the exact image link I posted, get it together DSizzle!

Ash1138 posted:

lol flatline

• Locked thread