Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thejoshie
May 3, 2013
Halcyon City. 2016.

Metahuman relations are reaching an all time low. Heroes are becoming reckless, villians are becoming more brazen, and the United States government’s finger is hovering over the panic button, awaiting that ‘one autrocity’ to give them the excuse to take total control of the situation. Opportunistic senators hoping to take advantage of peoples fears to push agendas, corperations hoping to profit from the fallout, and somewhere, sitting in the shadows, someone hopes to find opportunity in the chaos...

However, there is hope. Miranda Doring, formerly known as Liberty Lass who gave up her ability to walk to end WW2, came to the government with a proposal: allow her to form a government sanctioned team, designed to mitigate public views of metahumans. She managed to cash in favors owed to her through her service to her country to secure the funding and resources, establishing a boarding school that will be used as cover.

This team would be trained in a school, allowing them to be raised to use their powers responsibly. The best amongst this class of students will be chosen to become the team that will face the monumental task of repairing Metahuman relations through their heroism.

By making this team all female, it is hoped that not only will boundaries be broken, but that people will be naturally empathic towards the team, giving it a softer, more caring image.

You will represent the women who has made the cut amidst the dozens of metahuman women who were recruited. What fate will you pave as all eyes now focus on you and Halcyon city…

So, what I’m looking for:

-5 to 6 Applicants, any Playbook
-A concept that consists of at least a background and powers before the Deadline to preserve a space. A completed profile is preferable, but I understand that life can interfere.
-When you post your profile, answer these questions in addition to the ones in your profile:

1. What was the final motivating factor that convinced you to join this “school”.

2. While attending school, what did you do to catch the eye of Ms. Doring and convinced her into considering you to be a Valkyrie?

3.(Optional)What is the name of the School?

4. (Optional)What shall the IC Thread be called?

Application Deadline will be two weeks from today (Saturday, February 20th to Saturday, March 5th). Any questions can be directed here or IRC (I hang around #Swampthings). When you post an app, I will ask more questions to get a better grip on your character.

...so yeah. Thanks in advance for your interest. :)

Game started! This is now OOC Thread.

Influence Chart: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GLYhy0dJg4vJalU-SZhXJKYkEk44ay9GJMmkYSptdMo/edit#gid=0

thejoshie fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Sylphid

Huh? Yeah, I'm Sylphid. What is it? I'm busy-- Oooh, wait, you're Ms. Doring, is that it? Sure, let's talk. ... My powers? Right, you'd probably need to know those. Let's see... I'm one of the fastest people alive, I can summon weapons and I am supernaturally beautiful. ... Vain? I'm being vain? No, seriously. It's an aftereffect of the pact and -- oh, crap... I wasn't supposed to tell you about that.

Well, I suppose you of all people should know about the power of your students... But, uh, I don't actually know all that much about it. Apparently my ancestors back in the middle ages made a pact with the actual sylphids, you know, the spirits of wind. I'm not sure how they ever managed to convince them to care about humanity, but clearly they did. They gave them powers in return for fighting injustice and whatever. Yeah, this whole superpower stuff has been around for ages, in a more toned down way. Well, of course they called them witches back in the day, but you get the idea.

As for the heirs, as we call it, we get powers over the wind in some form, but it's different for everyone. My mother was more of what you'd think a mage would be, but for me it's more physically based. Like summoning blessed weapons, moving like the wind. The only thing every current heir to the power has is the incredible beauty. ... Stop saying that! It's true! I don't even look that amazing without the blessing. Ugh, do you have any idea how annoying it is to constantly get hit on, by both genders?

Uh... Please don't tell mom that I blathered out any of this...

quote:

When did you officially become a part of your legacy?

Well, when the Clara chose me and we made the pact to turn me into the next Sylphid, of course. ... Which, incidentally only happened because my mother, aka my predecessor got maimed by my grandmother, but... I'll... explain it later. maybe. Really, I never wanted any of this, but my little sis is too young, and not to mention she's way too much of a crybaby to ever be an actual hero! ... Please don't tell her that, either...

quote:

What's the best story you always heard about your legacy?

You know her already, don't you? My grandmother. The Sylphid from WW2? Yeah, that was her. You fought alongside with her back then, from what I've heard. She was one of the major heroes back in the day, I was told. You know, before she switched sides and became the Blue Empress. Yeah, those two are one and the same. I'm... sorry. I heard you were good friends back in the day.

quote:

How does the public perceive your legacy?

Pretty good. Well, as far as being metahumans can get, really. Sure, there's a few haters, but most people seem to actually have accepted the Sylphid as a legit legacy of heroes now. Of course this means the expectations are sky high, pun not intended, and really I'm not sure I can meet them. No pressure, right? ha... ha...

quote:

How does your legacy tie into your reasons for being a hero?

Well, uh, it kind of started with my grandmother maiming my mother horribly in a fight. It's kind of hard to be a hero when you can barely walk, right? Uh... oh poo poo, I'm sorry. I... forgot. Anyway, she's down for the count and someone has to take up the coat. Otherwise the sylphids would be pissed. Breaking a pact is about the worst thing you can do when you're dealing with a spirit. ... not that I ever wanted to, but if the only other choice is my sister... yeah.

quote:

Why do you care about the team?

Strength in numbers, right? ... okay, there's more to this. Look, I am legit terrified of what my grandmother might do to me. She freaking maimed her own bloody daughter already, and who knows what she's up to now. She's blamed most of her problems on our family's pact with the sylphid, and while she was very fond of me back in the day, from what little I've was told about her, I really do not trust that to be enough for her not to go after me. I NEED the extra firepower and protection if I have to face her. Which, if you couldn't tell already, I am NOT looking forward to.

quote:

What was the final motivating factor that convinced you to join this “school”.

What? I need one? Look, I already told you about the whole thing with my grandmother. That's why I joined. ... okay, I was actually looking forward to making friends with some other metahumans, but that's only a boon, really. ... Really. It's not like I'm lonely or anything. Really. I mean, Clara's company... but she's not actually human, you know?

quote:

While attending school, what did you do to catch the eye of Ms. Doring and convinced her into considering you to be a Valkyrie?

Not much, really. It's already well known that our legacy produces great heroes, you know our family personally, and I'm just the next in line. I mean, I'm not sure if I'm going to be all that great at it, but if you're convinced...

quote:

(Optional) What is the name of the School?
Valhalla, of course. Never not go full ham on it.

quote:

(Optional) What shall the IC Thread be called?
Ride of the Valkyries: Falling and failing gracefully.

Sylphid posted:

Hero Name: Sylphid
Secret Identity: Carolin Veras
Mask: Legacy
Look: Female, White, Comfortable Clothes, Predecessor's Costume
Origin: empowered by spirits
Abilities: magic weaponry, legendary speed, god-like beauty

Labels:
Freak: 0
Danger: -1
Savior: +3
Superior: 0
Mundane: +1

Moves
Words of Past: When you seek the guidance of your legacy, ask one of them a question. They will answer it honestly, and tell you what to do. Take +1 ongoing if you listen. If you disobey them, mark potential.

Never give up, never surrender
When you take a powerful blow, use this move instead of the base move. Roll + Savior. On a hit, you stand strong and choose one. On a 7-9, mark a condition.
- You get an opportunity or opening against your attacker.
- You rally from the hit, and it inspires the team. Add a team to the pool.
- You keep your attacker's attention.
On a miss, you go down hard but leave your opponent off balance and vulnerable.

I know what I am: Once per scene, when you defend a teammate you can shift Savior up and another label down in addition to any other benefits from the move, even on a miss.

Fight the good fight:
When you pull your punches while directly engaging a threat, you can roll + Savior instead of +Danger. If you do, you cannot choose to impress, surprise, or frighten your foe.

Advances taken:
Fight the Good Fight
I know what I am
Remaining Powers

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, tell them whether you see them as an equal. If you do, give them Influence over you and mark potential. If you don't, shift Superior up and any other label down.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them a secret about your legacy (including your own true feelings about it) to clear a Condition and give them Influence over you.

When our team first came together…
All things considered, we did well and impressed an established hero. Who was it?

Relationships
You once got caught breaking your legacy's rules with ______________.

You trust ______________ and told them an important secret of your legacy.

Influence
You're a part of this team, for better or worse, and you care what they think. Give influence to all of your teammates.

At the start of the session, roll + Savior to see how the members of your legacy feel or react to your most recent exploits. On a hit, one of them offers you meaningful encouragement, an opportunity, or an advantage. On a 7-9, another is upset with your most recent actions, and will make their displeasure known. On a miss, something you did stirred up the hornet's nest - expect several members of your legacy to meddle with your life.

Your legacy comes with traditions you're expected to uphold. At the end of each session, ask the other players to answer these questions about your performance. For each “no” answer, take -1 forward on your next start of session roll.
- Did you uphold the traditions of your legacy?
- Did you maintain the image of your legacy?
- Did you make the other members of your legacy proud?

Legacy posted:

Celerasaphie (Clara) is still (sorta) active and prominent in the city.

Hoo boy. Where do I even start with Clara. Well, her real name is Celerasaphie. She's one of the sylphids, and she's basically their liaison with us. She assumed a human form and... really mostly just hangs out with us. She's... basically been part of the family since the pact. From her, I learned quite a lot of things about wind spirits. See, most people (that know about them) think they're incredibly energetic and have an intense wanderlust. It's... not completely true. Mostly, they're just really, really bored. All the time. So Clara here? She mostly plays videogames. All freaking day. And night. Incidentally, she's also the one who essentially pre-picks the next generation's Sylphid.

... Sometimes I have a feeling she chose me simply because I buy her new games and play with her a lot... I wouldn't put it past her, really. Perhaps it was her love for human games that allowed our ancestors to make a pact. Yes, she's about a thousand years old. Her human form, anyway. Who knows how old she really is ... Not that she actually has any wisdom to back that up. ... You didn't hear that from me.

Okay, anyway. She doesn't really come out to fight bad guys all that often, but if she does... you can tell just how powerful she is. She's a big step above mom, even in her prime. She even fought grandmother to a standstill despite the demonic empowerment! Sure wish she could be convinced to actually help us make a difference, but no go. Mostly, she just goes outside and beats up a bad guy if the noise is distracting her from playing video games or something. At least, I think that's what's happening. Most people think she's a second Sylphid, but of course that isn't true. Thankfully, she has enough sense not to blather about it. Also, don't ever play against her in Street Fighter. Just... personal experience. It's her favorite game, and it... it shows.

Anna Veras is retired and judgmental.

My mother. I love her but... She didn't really take her forced retirement well. See, she had a battle with my grandmother a month ago. She just barely avoided being crippled completely, but as is, she can just barely walk. Completely unfit to do her work as Sylphid. I know she's probably just doing it because she worries about me and wants me to do my very best, but... she's constantly nagging about anything and everything I do, constantly berating me about the tiniest things and... ugh...

Jessica Veras is the next possible member of your legacy.

Not much to say here. My little sis. Will take over my job as Sylphid one day. You know, for when I get smashed horribly as well. Ha ha.

... okay, fine. She's a pretty good girl, I mean she's even devout catholic and going to church and donating to charity and whatever, but she's got trouble keeping her emotions in check. Usually a cry baby, but right now she's apparently far to focused on being really jealous of me. Like, holy poo poo, girl. Calm down. Clara chose me, not you, so don't bloody let it out on me, okay?

Veronica Veras/The Blue Empress is the greatest opponent your legacy ever faced...and is still at large.

My grandmother. No, seriously. I wouldn't joke around on this one. See, she was the Sylphid before my mother. Except, when a mob killed her best friend back in the day during a metahuman witch hunt, she just... snapped. She broke her pact, and turned to much darker powers, gaining eternal youth in the process. Now using the power of blood, she is very much a perversion of everything our family stands for. Her new powers are a combination of mine and mothers', basically even stronger versions of what she had during her Sylphid days. And... she's the one who almost crippled my mother in her last showdown, coming out basically unscathed. If she couldn't beat her... how can I?

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 14, 2016

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Interest post. Probably going Nova

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

I assumed Archangel would have filled you in on all the relevant details? Oh well fine I just hope this doesn't take too long.

quote:

How did you first meet your mentor?

You probably wouldn't believe me but it was when I picked his pocket. See I've always been a street kid. They said my parents were killed in a shoot-out between rival supervillians but who trusts cops to tell the truth? Anyway I'd had to survive on the streets ended up being a pretty good second storey woman and pickpocket. It was the latter trade that first got me to notice Adam. Sorry Archangel. Rich guy wandering through the bad part of town. Should've been an easy mark right? And he was I got his wallet without him even noticing it was gone and was away before he could react. I was ecstatic of course. I couldn't use the cards of course but I knew a guy I could fence them to and there must have been close to a couple of hundred in bills. I could live for a fortnight on a score like that. Of course what I didn't know about was the tracking chip sewn into the wallet. How could I know? Imagine my surprise that night when Archangel came through the window of my little tenament. I was scared of course. Who wouldn't be although heroes of his calibre usually go for he kind of guys who want to conquer the moon or something than small timers like I was. Still I knew I was in trouble when he knocked me out and hauled me off to who knows where....

quote:

When and why did you choose to train with them?

Not sure how long I was out for after being hauled away but it must have been for a while cause next thing I knew I'd woken up in a cave. Being interrogated by a hero. His questions seemed rather general at first but something about the way he moved and the way he tilted his head reminded me of the guy I'd stolen from earlier. Didn't take much to put two and two together. Although blurting out the name on his credit card was probably not the smartest way to go about it. Still I watched him stop and look at me almost like he was evaluating me rather than interrogating me. Then he made me an offer, I could either be hauled of to juvie hall and then be left to the tender mercies of the fostering system or he could take me in and train me. Wasn't much of a choice really was it? And I'm not an idiot at least not most of the time. Turns out I have a gift for the same sort of elemental control he does as well which helps. He only has to show me something once and I can copy it.

quote:

Why did they agree to train you?
[quote]

Not sure. I've asked about it in the past. All he had to say was that natural ability like mine shouldn't go to waste. But I don't think that's the whole story. I think part of it is he's lonely another part of it is he's getting older and wants to leave something behind. But there's more to it than that. I've come across scattered references in the past going through his files. To other apprentices? adoptees? call them what you want. I tried asking him about them just once. I don't intimidate easily but the look he gave me scared the living daylights out of me. I've never worked up the courage to ask again.

[quote]
Who else, outside of the team, knows about your training?

My "cousin" Peter. We're not really related but don't tell Adam that. We used to run together back in my street days. And we even managed to stay in touch when I was split up. He's the only friend I have left from those days. And well I needed someone to dump my problems on. Adam can be distant and withdrawn a lot not the sort you go to with a personal problem. So yeah he knows what I'm doing now. Last I spoke to him he was doing pretty well himself set up as a fence. He passes me the occasional tip when he hears about something really hot moving. In exchange I've pulled a few strings (technically Archangel's strings but whose counting) to get the cops to lay off him.

quote:

Because they're all in their own way good people. And I believe we can do more together than we could do as individuals.

1. What was the final motivating factor that convinced you to join this “school”.

Adam really. He said there were some things he couldn't teach me. Things I'd be better off learning in an environment with other girls. I was nervous of course. Would they look down on me. Would they know but mostly people have been really nice to me so far.

2. While attending school, what did you do to catch the eye of Ms. Doring and convinced her into considering you to be a Valkyrie?

Do you mean my exposure of the Red Menace? She's is or I suppose was the product of some sort of soviet super soldier program that left her with the ability to rearrange her features and with extra keen senses. She must be the perfect spy. Apparently after the USSR crumbled she went freelance and according to the files i've seen she's been linked with a number of mysterious disappearances and cases of corporate espionage. Anyway to get back on track I started noticing something about one of my fellow students. Rose was her name. I'm not sure what it was about her that first tipped me off but then I noticed she didn't act "right" she seemed to know too much be too confident. So I started watching her. Caught her communicating with someone. Not sure who it was filtered through far too much encryption for me to tell. But she was reporting on how successfully she'd infiltrated the student body and that it was only a matter of time before she was in position to begin phase two. So I called it in to security I think I earned major brownie points for having the sense not to tackle something like that on my own.

Midgard High

[Masks] Let it Ride

quote:

Hero Name: Seraphim
"Secret" Identity: Gabriella Greene
Mask: Protege
Look: Female, White, School Uniform, Colourful costume
Abilities:
Shared Ability: Detective Skills
My Ability: Power Mimicry
Mentor's Ability: Elemental Control

Labels:

Freak: 1
Danger: -1
Savior: 1
Superior: 2
Mundane: 0

Moves

Be Mindful of Your Surroundings:

When you assess the situation before
entering into a fight, you may ask 1
additional question, even on a miss.

Been Reading the Files:

You've read up on the
superhuman world. When you encounter an
important superpowered phenomenon (your call),
roll + Superior. On a hit, say the most important
detail you read about from their last appearance.
The GM will tell you what, if anything, seems
different from what the files describe. On a 10+,
ask the GM a follow-up question; they will
answer it honestly. On a miss, the files are
painfully incomplete; the GM will tell you what's
missing.

Heroic Tradition:

When you give
someone the advice that you think your
mentor would give, you can roll + the Label
your mentor embodies to comfort or
support someone, instead of rolling +
Mundane.

Mentor

The Protege has a mentor, someone who’s taught them, trained them, given them aid, or raised
them up. Someone who might have confined them a bit too rigidly to a single path.
Which Label does your mentor best exemplify, and which do they deny?

Embodies: Superior
Denies: Danger

Choose up to 3 resources that your mentor gave you and the team:

supercomputer, communicators, security systems

Team Moves

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone,

ask them if you were a good leader or effective team mate. If they say yes, your mentor loses Influence over you and you mark
potential. If they say no, your mentor gains Influence over you and take +1 forward on using the label your mentor embodies

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone,

tell them a secret about your mentor (including your feelings towards them). Give them Influence over you and add a team to the pool

When our team first came together:

We stuck together after all was said and done. Why? How'd we keep in contact?

Relationships

You and ____________________ teamed up a few times from before the rest of you
came together.

Your mentor is cautious; they asked you to keep an eye on __________________.

Influence

Choose your demeanor: Playful.

If you choose Playful give influence to two teammates.

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 24, 2016

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Apping a Bull.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

"I know what makes things tick. I know how to make the ticking stop."

Oh great, more loving questions - as if I'm not tired of being interrogated. Do I need to have my attorney present for this - if so, mind calling one up for me real quick? I got a buddy online that practices law, but not sure my counsel is allowed to Skype in. This is about who replaced the Student Registry with... no? Just some basic info for your records? Yeah, I doubt that. Let's get this over with so I can get back to -what I was working on - and, uh, ignore the Student Registry thing I said, it was totally a joke.

quote:

How did you get your powers?
Well, either a careful combination of Mountain Dew, Pocky, nocturnal coding sessions, trance music, and a stray electrical surge can give you superpowers... or I expressed a mutation when I was about thirteen. Believe whichever one you think is cooler. I rolled well, lucked into Intuitive Analysis - certain things just make sense to me. Things like math and science, computer systems and engineering, robotics and fighting styles and power emissions and metabiology... I'm sort of a super genius - and to make up for my power not giving me super strength or eye beams or anything cool like that, I've built some nifty gadgets to compensate. Realistically, I could probably make a fair amount of money selling my tech, but that'd be ridiculously boring and I'm not a sellout. Cooler to use 'em myself, anyways.

quote:

What do you do for fun?
Uhhh... code, trawl the web, hack, play games, read cyberpunk and sci-fi novels, design bots to practice against, tinker with poo poo, build robots, upgrade my computer, work on my vehicle, torrent media, troll on twitter, read up on other metahumans, argue on forums... what else would I do? Listen, if I had a choice, I'd just use this school's resources and never leave my room-slash-lab. Thanks to all this Valkyrie crap I've been missing dailies in a couple of my MMOs, I'm behind on Better Call Saul, and I haven't had time to test out the prototype of the new new remote explosive mini-magnets I've been tinkering with.

quote:

Who, outside the team, thinks better of you than you do?
My parents do. Even though I've tried to tell them over and over again that I'm nothing like them and that they should just leave me alone, they won't. See, my parents are both old school hippies. I mean, my name's Miracle Dreamer, OK? Pretty sure they were on LSD when they came up with it. And I guess I've got a rebellious streak - even before I had my power, I was all science and technology and computers, all the time. So half our house looked like a New Age commune, and my half was stuffed to the brim with all the devices I could scrounge up. They didn't mind it. No matter what I've done to disappoint them - stealing via torrents, disrupting digital trade, getting arrested for hacking Visa's site on Black Friday - they've always been willing to overlook it and forgive me. They're even proud of me being a Valkyrie, and I hate it.

quote:

Why do you try to be a hero?
A hero? That's a stretch. Mostly I just help out my teammates since they're pretty alright, and they handle the heroic stuff. I know we're supposed to be repairing metahuman relations, but it's not like what I do is really all that pretty or interesting. Bypass enemy defenses, identify hostile power sources - and then neutralize them. Also explain to the dumb-dumbs on my team what's going on when things get more complicated than algebra or above a tenth grade reading level. Plus anytime there's computers or robots involved, holy loving poo poo, they're downright incompetents. Swear to god they probably hit their computers to make them work better.

quote:

Have you ever played an MMO? When you group up, you want a couple things. Firstly, for all the roles to be covered - everyone should bring something unique and valuable to the table, and hopefully cover all their bases when it comes to the threats they'll be up against. Next, want a group that cares about what they're doing, that's trying to succeed. And lastly you want everyone to look out for one another, not be selfish dicks, since a group that's working together progresses farther and faster than a bunch of assholes that hate each other. Anyways, to arrive back at my point, I'm our team's support, they're handling the other stuff, and they better meatshield and DPS for me.

quote:

What was the final motivating factor that convinced you to join this “school”.
Well... after you get arrested by the US Government for clearly superpoweredly-sophisticated attacks on US secret IT infrastructures - it was a fun little diversion, not difficult to brag about though sadly - and you get hit with a really lovely choice, you pick the least lovely of the two. For me, that was either attending this school, or being confined to a house arrest for three years with NO electronic access during that time. Which... gently caress that. So, here I am, getting to use my leet skills for the side of justice, or whatever. Can't say I'm thrilled - liked things more when no one was telling me what to do.

quote:

While attending school, what did you do to catch the eye of Ms. Doring and convinced her into considering you to be a Valkyrie?
While I'm sure she knew about my hacking skills before I got to the school - since that's all the government knew about, luckily - that my Intuitive Analysis had vastly more uses than just that probably escaped her notice. Up until the Garage Golem incident, anyways. See, I'd been in the school's garage a few times, I'd noticed it wasn't monitored all that well, I had a few Universal Robotic Converters with me... one thing led to another. Anyways, after I'd finished constructing the Robot, I may have "accidentally" let it go berserk. Had to test the school's security measures after all! They weren't that great, took nearly twenty minutes before something capable of blowing it up arrived. After about five hours of lectures, I got offered a spot on the Valkyries... not bad for something so simple!

quote:

Hero Name: Shodan
Secret Identity: Miracle Dreamer Minovsky
Mask: The Delinquent
Look: Female, Extraordinarily Pale, Untrusting Eyes, Black Trenchcoat, Rebellious Clothes
Origin: Mutant Ex-Criminal
Abilities: Gadgetry and Hacking, Power Negation

Labels:
Freak: 0
Danger: 0
Savior: -1
Superior: +3
Mundane: +1

Moves
Are you watching closely?
When you mislead, distract, or trick someone, roll +Superior. On a hit, they are fooled, at least for a moment. On a 10+, choose 3. On a 7-9, choose 2.
- You get an opportunity.
- You expose a weakness or flaw.
- You confuse them for some time.
- You avoid further entanglement.
On a miss, you're hopelessly embroiled in it and under pressure; mark a condition.

Criminal Mind
When you assess the situation, you can always ask one of the following questions, even on a miss:
- What here is useful or valuable to me?
- How could I best infuriate or provoke _______?
- What's the best way in/way past?

Mary Contrary
When someone tries to pierce your mask, comfort or support you, or provoke you, you can interfere. Roll + Superior. On a hit, they take a -2 on their roll. On a 10+, take Influence over them or clear a condition. On a 7-9, you expose yourself to retribution, cost, or judgment. On a miss, they get a 10+ no matter what they rolled and you mark a condition, their choice.

Kirby-craft
You have a vehicle (the Ragnarok), something from your home built yourself. Detail its look, and choose two strengths and two weaknesses. When you are flying your ship, you can use it to unleash your powers, directly engage a threat, or defend someone using Superior.

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if they think you're cool. If they say yes, give them Influence and take Influence over them. If they say no, mark a condition or spurn them immediately. Either way, add a team to the pool.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, give them influence over you, and ask them who they'd like you to be. Mark potential if you show them that person. Add a team to the pool no matter what.

We totally broke some major rules to win the fight. What rules did we break? Whose rules were they?

Relationships
You keep trying to impress _________________ with your antics.

You and ________________ pulled an awesome (if illegal) stunt together.

Influence
You care way more than you let on. Give three teammates influence over you.

Powers and Equipment posted:

So much more than meets the eye

Intuitive Analysis - Shodan's brain has been permanently enhanced by a mutation. In addition to giving her extraordinary skill at inventing, creating, and utilizing gadgets for a variety of purposes, it also gives her an innate understanding of how powers work (largely regardless of how they function) along with an idea of how to disable or nullify them. Made her better at hacking too, not that she needed it, along with a thorough talent for a wide variety of scientific disciplines - electrical and mechanical engineering, mathematics, physics, chemistry, biology, robotics, etc.

Whenever she's out in the field on superhero business, Shodan carries an assortment of her devices with her. They include, but are not limited to: Grenades of various natures, lasers, force orbs, energy projectors, omnitools, helper bots, anti-grav generators, smoke pellets, pocket drones, explosives, multiple computers, ether goggles, powergloves, lockpicks, material manipulators, detectors, and media projectors. Whatever doesn't fit comfortably in her coat is carried in a messenger bag. She rarely carries the same complement of gear twice, and is constantly fine-tuning and upgrading her equipment.

In addition to her staggering and constantly growing array of gadgets, Shodan can always be counted on to take two things into battle with her. Her heavily customized trench-coat, which is outfitted with numerous upgrades for both practical and comfort reasons, is one of them. Outfitted with dozens of pockets, many cleverly hidden, she's more or less never seen not wearing it. The other is a shotgun she's named Katsuragi. It's substantially less customized - just some shock absorbers, and auto-loader, and biometric trigger to prevent it from being used against her.

quote:

The Ragnarok is Shodan's brand new ship, built in about two months out of parts she salvaged from the first iteration of the Doring School of Gifted Youngsters. Clearly referencing the Millenium Falcon, Shodan armed it with two quad-laser turrets mounted on the top and bottom of the ship, along with outfitting it with payloads of her own inventions. It's mainly built for speed and maneuverability - far faster than jets and far more maneuverable than helicopters, the Ragnarok is an aerial marvel. Comfortably seating about twelve, the Ragnarok and all of its systems are linked to Shodan via a chip she surgically inserted into her spinal column - she can command the ship remotely, summoning it to pick her up or maneuvering it out of harms way as needed. Also, it's got snacks and some in-flight entertainment, but all of it is stuff that Shodan likes, so lots of caffeine, sugar, PC games, and cartoons.

The downsides though are that its not like she built the thing out of fresh parts. There's quite a bit of "make do" under the surface, and the whole thing's kind of a nightmare to repair since she didn't even have the parts to make the thing properly symmetrical and uniform. Plus, due to having to sort of invent a power source that she'd have access to that would also power the ship's insane requirements, she had to make do with harnessing some bio-engineered strains of Mary's hair - and then wrapping them around some plutonium she obtained (don't ask how). Suffice it to say, it's not exactly a power source they'll find another of lying around if the ship encounters problems.

Strengths: Fast & maneuverable, chameleon plating, powerful weaponry, regenerating, dimension-shifting, size-shifting, telepathic (via a chip in Shodan's spine linking her to the aircraft)
Weaknesses: Bizarre fuel source (Mutant Hair-spooled Plutonium), susceptible to _______, easily detectable, slow and clumsy, unarmed, difficult to repair

quote:

Valhalla is too obvious (and perfect) to not use.

quote:

[Masks] To fight the horde, singing and crying: Valhalla, I am coming!

Rauri fucked around with this message at 09:21 on May 8, 2016

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Click for Theme Song

There were rumors at first, no one knew what was happening, though meta humans and heroes were out in the open none acted like this one. There wasn't any bargaining or talking like the others, the villains had gained an upper hand and it felt like the world was going to fly apart and it almost did. At the moment that was almost the tipping point a group of villains held senators hostage, at the Super Bowl. The world seemed like it was about to tear itself apart.

Minions walked the halls with their automatic rifles under the stadium and that is where the first reports of the person come from. The video cameras showed a leather clad person in a motorcycle helmet walk through a wall, and kick the shins of a guard before punching another one. They knocked both out swiftly and then moved on, running through the walls, on one the cameras caught him fired on and walking through the fire until he punched the guard in the face.

There was no monologue with them, there was only direct and focused action toward a certain goal of saving people. Each one dealt with in as effective and efficient method as possible. Not a thing to expected to in a world with a cult of the hero. Where others were known for going for the villain directly he defused his plans before, letting more flashy and more super powered heroes rush in and finish the job. There would have been no idea that he had done anything if it hadn't been for the former Liberty Lass.

Her motor-driven wheel chair followed the masked figure as they walked over to the motorcycle. Like before there was no talking, and there wasn't anything that could stop them from leaving and so they left. But Mrs. Doring kept an eye out for reports of them again. She knew what to look for and with examinations of surveillance figured out the powers that they might have. She was right, in the night there was reports of a masked person wearing a heavy overcoat and gloves with a helmet and gasmask who used a voice modulator.

It was easy for someone like Mrs Doring to find their lair, the reports were all centered around a single location, an old abandoned factory. When she went to the factory, she found the motorcycle, torn and tattered, but parts strewn around. In the corner a cot, and only a few items, and an old book bag with a single picture on it. It was an older middle eastern man with glasses and a young girl next to him, she was hugging him, on the other side of him was a tallish boy that looked a bit annoyed by the picture.

"Family" The oddly distorted voice said from behind, "Can't let them get hurt, just want to help." The wheelchair turned around slowly, and they stood behind behind the woman in the wheelchair. "Seen that happen to much, if I am a nothing, then I cannot be hurt." They looked at the aging super heroine, and there is a small smile that creeps across her face. "Would you want to learn how to save people?" Behind the gas mask their eyes look at the aging woman and there is only a nod in response.

Our stalwart hero wasn't always as courageous or powered, in fact in a long time ago, he was a simple brat of a successful scientist Fahim Aqil working at CERN on particle physics and the mysteries of the universe. Much to the chagrin of his two children. The older boy named Esmail, and the younger more happy go lucky girl named Dema. They both were dragged along with their successful father, the boy, a rather annoyed teenager who thought this science stuff was more bullshit.

Esmail was the mirror image of his very calm and very studious sister, he was out all night with his friends getting in trouble with the Swiss police, and if it were not for his father, there would have been prison time for the troubled young man. He didn't care, and this was just another place to be until he was free. That was coming in a few years that is what he knew, and then he would be able to go down that dark path, and would have if it hadn't been for the accident.

He sat in a chair at CERN looking over his father in front of the massive test chamber. The brightest minds of the worlds were here and had built this, but to Esmail it was more like another thing that his father did that he could never match. He wasn't going to CERN, he wasn't dumb, but gently caress if he was as smart of his dad's grad students. After his mom died, his dad had been so much more hosed in this loving thing compared to him.

Esmail had disappeared to his father, and now was just an annoyance and bother no how he succeeded or failed. All he wanted was for his father to love him, like he loved and doted on his sister. She was like his mother who had died of cancer year ago, but she had also been a scientist, and Esmail? He was just a gently caress up. As he kicked back in the chair, he knocked the controls and the great super collider started to spin up without the essential parts to get it going.

His father dropped the large cylinder on his leg and shouted in pain as everyone ran. He didn't move as he watched horrified, his father was in going to die in seconds, but it wasn't he who surged forward, instead it was his sister. She ran forward and grabbed her father. Now his family was totally in danger, that is when he moved, without thinking and maybe a piece of his better nature that had been Suppressed for so long. With his help the cylinder moved, and his Dad and sister started to leave. They had almost made it!

Then he saw the beam was going to go out there wasn't time, and he realized that it was better if the good person lived. He was the gently caress up and disposable in his mind. He picked up his sister and threw her across the room, out of the way of harm, even his own strength surprised and she slid across the floor where he didn't move.

Esmail looked at his sister and his dad and smiled for what he thought was the last time. Then light flooded every atom of his body, and the world went white.

The world was empty there was no up or down but he was standing by himself. He felt nothing, not hot, not cold, no feeling of air against his skin. In a word, Nothing. That was before something appeared in front of him, in what appeared to be old and worn battle armor. It breathed heavily and didn't move other than to breath, hot sulfur escaped the breath mask.

"Who are you?" He asked the thing in front of him, and there was a monstrous voice that echoed through the helmet into the space around him. "You. Not You. Doesn't matter." It approached him closer, and there was a distinct smell of death that surrounds him. "You could have been so much greater once you cast off your family, instead you tossed it aside. I won't allow it!" It gripped him and there was flash of light and it felt like his entire body was about to explode.

It screamed at the touch and the white suddenly was somewhere else. It was in a field outside a city, which one, he had no idea. "We are too in sync." It explained looking into the distance, "I don't need you anymore, and you are pathetic. This time, I will have all I want. Without your pathetic feelings to stop me." He watched the darkness start to walk into the city and he collapsed the spot, it was like he was severed in two. His gently caress up self was walking away, while what was he here?

Suddenly in a blackness, his Darkness had disappeared. All his hurt, anger and fear were out there, and unleashed, without any restraint. It was then that Esmail broke down and cried.

The embodiment of all the negative thoughts and emotions of Esmail, and his chief rival. It is not human, nor does it try to be, but it continues to work toward taking more control and growing its influence. The only thing that he knows about the monster is that it's powers are related to darkness.

quote:

Character Sheet

Hero Name: Fission
Secret Identity: Unknown / Esmail Aqil
Mask: The Janus
Look: Unknown / Male, Unknown / Arabic, Stylish Clothing, Concealing Costume
Abilities: Strength, Agility, Toughness, Impossible Mobility(Quantum Tunneling), Energy absorption

Labels:
Freak: -1
Danger: 1
Savior: 0
Superior: 0
Mundane: +3

Moves
The Mask
You wear a mask and hide your real identity. Choose what Label you try to embody while wearing your mask:
□ Freak □ Danger
■ Savior □ Superior
Once per session, you can affirm either your hero or secret identity to switch your Mundane with your mask's Label.

The first time you reveal your true identity to someone, mark potential.

Game face
When you steel yourself in the calm before the storm, roll + Mundane. On a 10+, choose 2. On a 7-9, choose 1:
- Shift 1 Label up and 1 Label down, your choice.
- Make someone lose Influence on you.
- Clear a condition.

On a miss, you can't shake your feeling that the worst is about to happen. Mark Afraid and say what you most fear will happen during the storm.

Dangerous Web
When you reveal a trap you've left for someone using your powers, roll + your Mask Label. On a hit, your opponent trips into it, and you get an opening or opportunity against them. On a 10+, take +1 forward to pursuing it. On a miss, the trap inadvertently leads to a dangerous escalation.

Suck it, Domitian
When you stand strong while dramatically under fire, roll + Savior instead of + Danger to directly engage a threat.

Secret Identity
Job: Campus Barista/Coffee Shop Attendant
Social: Mrs. Doring
Home: Paying Bills

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if they see you as the person wearing the mask or the person underneath. If the former, mark potential and clear a condition. If the latter, take Influence over them if you reveal yourself.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them to confirm or deny that you should be here. If they confirm it, mark potential and give them Influence over you. If they deny it, mark Angry and shift 1 Label up and 1 Label down, your choice.

We saved the life of someone important, either to the city, or to us. Who was it? Why are they important?

Relationships
_____________________ knew you from your civilian life first.
You refused to tell ___________________ your secret identity when they asked.

Influence
You look up to your teammates; they seem to have this superhero thing figured out.
Give two of them influence over you.

quote:

The final factor that pushed his choice was the fact that he knew that the darkness had all his raw strength and skill, but its weakness was its arrogance. Though it would test its limits, it would be uneven and not really methodical, only the most obvious beneficial attempts would be made, while a seasoned trainer who had fought with great skill would know things that a talented amateur would not. This was his only hope of defeating the darkness and one day going home, that mythical place he could go once everything made sense again.

quote:

He didn't know, there was a clear indication on his part to hide under the radar. The hope that though the thing out there that was trying to make his darkest thoughts true would in fact not know the specifics, it hadn't delved into the pathetic and emotions that surrounded them. Maybe this was part of the fact, that in the end he was penniless on the street. Yet, still he persisted, and wanted to do good. It would have been easy to walk away and say that the villain was out there among all the others, and others would take care of it. The truth was, his was out there, and his suffering and dedication was total to stop the inhuman thing.

quote:

Doring Educational Academy for Women

quote:

The Ride of the Valkyries

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jun 2, 2016

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

The Bull posted:

Hero Name: Jewels
Look: Female, White, casual clothing, no costume

Abilities: Superhuman strength, speed, and physical resistance from countless enhancements, forced genetic mutations and combined experimental Metahuman DNA. No known upper limit. Unmatched fighting skills from countless hours of forced training against other developing superhumans.

(Someone changed you, made you into a perfect weapon: superhumanly tough, incredibly strong, and uniquely skilled at fighting)

Backstory

Juliet and Mary Williams, ages 16 and 15

See the picture? That’s us there, my sister’s on the left. Not Mary, Juliet. I’m Mary. I’ll explain later. We took that a couple days before it happened. Right after the North Floridian Wormhole Disaster (you know, the one that turned southern Florida into an island). Right before we vanished. Look it up, Juliet and Mary Williams, we’re both missing persons, presumed dead. Even with the increasing metahuman accidents, neither of us really thought anything bad would ever happen to us because of it. And neither of us thought the Government was going to kidnap us.

We went to bed that night, and woke up the next morning in a big, windowless room, with about a hundred other kids everyone looking around confused and a bit groggy. Seemed like everyone was about thirteen to seventeen. The room was like a gym, except with sterile looking white walls everywhere, with fluorescent light panels along the top where a gym would have windows. Before anyone could start thinking clearly enough to really start to panic, two adults came out onto this little elevated platform thing. Like a stage.

One in a black suit, the other in a white lab coat. Two adults and their guards. Ten people, dressed up like Stormtroopers except without the black highlights, just pure white futurey looking armor, and big guns. They introduced themselves, Doctor Frank Shelton and Professor Victoria Steinway. Shelton in the lab coat, Steinway in the suit. Told us all to relax, we would be serving a greater purpose to our country now. We we’re part of the ‘Government Emergency Metahuman Manufactury Project’ or the GEMM Project. At that point people did start freaking out, and everything went black again. I suppose they gassed us.

When I woke up next, I was being strapped to a gurney. I didn’t get a good look then, but I was in a big room, bigger than the one we’d woken up in the first time, lined with rows and rows of cylindrical tanks, like they have Luke in after they get him back from the ice on Hoth, or Mewtwo in that Pokemon Movie. You know. Full of bubbly yellow liquids. Once I was strapped in, they wheeled me away.

I saw a few tanks as I passed, with someone floating in each one. Then I was in some kind of operating room. I don’t remember much of that, lots of complicated looking electronics. People in medical clothes. I suppose they must have given me some kind of anesthetic, since I didn’t feel anything, but I saw a lot of syringes passing by in the corner of my eyes. Then it was back in the tank. The last thing I remember seeing that first time was Juliet, floating in the tank across from mine. I’m not sure I was supposed to remember any of that. The few times I managed to talk to anyone, none of them did.

That happened a few times, and then I woke up again, in the gym-room again. We were all there, dressed in clothes that were like half Karate half military uniform. Steinway was there in her suit, and explained that we were to pair up and spar. If anyone refused, the entire group was given a small electric shock. If anyone resisted, the group got a larger electric shock. If anyone tried to attack the staff, we would all receive a shock strong enough to knock us out. After the first small shock, no one refused, no one resisted.

We’d pair up and spar, until everything went black again. When we woke up, we’d spar again. I don’t know how long any one session lasted, or how many days we spent repeating the pattern. Sometimes there’d be someone there to instruct us, sometimes it was just Steinway in her suit, watching. Long after I’d lost count, I woke up on the gurney again. This time, some of the tanks I passed were empty. But when things went black again, Juliet was there across from me.

This time when I woke up in the gym, we alternated sparing with lessons. Not really lessons. Just books and videos and lectures about America. How great we were. The growing threat the Metahuman population represented. Lots of slides about all the deaths caused by metahumans. Clips of the Flordian Wormhole, people and houses and things getting sucked in, the pieces that got sprayed out. Shelton directed those. The training and lessons blurred together again, and then it was back on the gurney. One in four of the tanks were empty this time. Juliet’s face is the last thing I remember again.

At the start of the third cycle, they added in some tests at the start, physical exams and… other things. Some of us were getting stronger, someone people were developing powers. They tried to see if I could predict the shape on the back of a card. Nope. I saw Juliet shooting lightning out of her hands. After that it was back to fights and brainwashing. It think it was working. No one talked anymore, even when there wasn’t anyone else watching. We were becoming Metahumans, and they were the enemy. That was what all the papers said. Sometimes they should us news reports of the damage caused by Metahumans. It was working on me too, but not as well. Juliet could never be the enemy, not my sister. I focused on my memories of her whenever I was supposed to be reading their propaganda.

Back to the tanks. There weren’t any new empty ones this time. Back to the blur of time. Back to the tanks. With no change, I’d have lost track of how many cycles we’d gone through soon. The gym. The tanks. The gym. I was getting stronger. I smashed a hole two feet deep into the floor one day with a punch the first time we were sparring. That was a short cycle, we didn’t go back to the gym that time. I remember spending a lot more time in and out of the tanks before we went back. There were even fewer of us in the gym the next time, and for the first time I realized the room was getting smaller, so we wouldn’t notice. When it was back to the tanks, half of them were empty, maybe more. I broke my partner's arm accidentally. We were practicing pulling people off balance by the arm. It felt like I almost pulled his arm off.

Tanks. Studies. Training. Studies. Tanks. Training. I couldn’t feel the punches from my partners anymore. One guy has skin that’s all cracked and smoking. Between the cracks it looks like hot coals. When we fought, my clothes burned off without me noticing.

Juliet. When I thought of her, I could keep my head clear. I couldn’t remember what my parents looked like, or my friends. But her face floating in the tank across from mine kept her firmly in my mind. As the cycles went on, the guards were getting careless. Not paying attention. None of us even glared at them anymore. And then when I was put back into the tank, the one across from me was empty. I didn’t black out that time. Her face. Where was it. I stared, forcing myself awake in the tank, waiting. She didn’t come back. It was so easy to break out of the tank. Alarms started going off. I smashed the tank across from me. Nothing inside.

I smashed the next tank with my fist. There was someone inside. They looked up, confused, staring. Then the guards ran in. They tried to shoot me, but it was like dodging a snail. I’d tossed one through a row of tanks before the second one managed to call for backup. They activated the shock. That hurt. But I could feel like, the pain was localized, to weak. I shoved my hand into my shoulder and pulled out the chip. I don’t remember much. I tried to find Steinway and Shelton. I did find some big room full of computer screens, and I smashed that. I found out later that I’d released everyone from the tanks. That was the Atlantic City Metahuman Rampage. Thirty odd kidnapped teens, trapped and experimented on, given weird powers and halfway through being brainwashed. Well you heard about how much of the city they destroyed. I didn’t join in, I just ran.

Ran until I run anymore. That was where Terry and Katherine Lawless found me, half naked, covered in weird experiment goo and rain, collapsed outside their apartment during the chaos of the rampage. They brought me in, cleaned me up, listened to my story. I’m not sure they believed me at first. They pretended to though. Didn’t tell anyone. They’d always wanted a kid, but never managed. So they ‘adopted’ me. Moved to Halcyon City so no one would know.

I took my sisters first name, since the government or whoever was really behind the project thought she was dead, but would know I wasn’t, and their last name. That was when I heard about Miranda Doring and her plan. The GEMM Project was government. They’d put it together, funded it, hid it. To have some kind of Metahuman force to stop the heroes. Well. It failed, or at least the branch I was in. They wanted to make the strongest metahumans possible I think. They didn’t fail that, they made one. They made me. But I ruined the project, I escaped.

So maybe that’s why they’re turning to Miranda Doring’s plan. Or maybe they’ll keep working on it. But if we pull this off, maybe no one else will have to get kidnapped. And maybe I’ll find out who is really responsible for it. Find Steinway and Shelton. Make them pay. Finally. If I can save some lives and enjoy a good fight along the way. Well, it’ll all be worth it, won’t it?

Moves
The Bull’s Heart
You always have exactly one love and one rival. You can change your love or rival at any time; give the new subject of your affections or disdain Influence over you. Take +1 ongoing to any action that impresses your love or frustrates your rival.

Love: Bravura
Rival: Slyphid

Role
Defender: When you leap to defend your love or rival in battle, roll +Danger instead of +Savior to defend them.

Friend: When you comfort or support your love or rival, mark potential on a hit. When your love or rival comforts or supports you, mark potential when they roll a hit.

Enabler: When you provoke your love or rival, roll + Danger if you are trying to provoke them to rash or poorly thought out action

Physics? What physics?
When you unleash your powers to barrel through an insurmountable barrier, roll + Danger instead of + Freak.

Punch everyone
Whenever you charge into a fight without hedging your bets, you can shift your Danger up and any other Label down.

There when it matters
When you defend someone, on a hit you can hold 1 instead of choosing one from the list. Spend your hold when they are in danger later to arrive on the scene ready to help.

Moment of Truth
This is what you do best. You let loose, all the pent up strength and rage and glee, and you break. poo poo. down. You are a walking demolition crew. What can stand up to you? Nothing. Not buildings. Not structures. Not enemies. Nothing. Of course, now the people who changed you can find you. And they'll come for you.

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, make them your love or rival immediately to mark potential. If they are already your love or rival, take Influence over them and mark potential.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, give them Influence and hold 2. Spend that hold to help them as if it were Team in the pool.

Stats
Freak: +1
Danger: +2
Savior: -1
Superior: +2
Mundane: -1

Conditions:
□ Afraid (-2 to directly engage)
□ Angry (-2 to change their self-image or pierce the mask)
□ Guilty (-2 to provoke someone or assess the situation)
□ Insecure (-2 to defend or reject what others say)
□ Hopeless (-2 to unleash your powers)

Relationships
___________________ is your love. You've opened up to them about the worst parts of your past.

___________________ is your rival. They tried to control you at a crucial moment.

Influence
You're focused. Give your love and rival influence over you, but that's it.

When our team first came together...
We defeated a dangerous enemy. Who or what was it?

Most of it I already said. But also... I didn't want to risk things for my parents. If the government is tracking me, and they might be... I'd rather them track me down to here, than to my parents house, where they might get hurt. A school of potential superheroes would be a lot better equipped to handle whatever they might try and pull as well.

Ha! Mainly just be the best. I am very good. I mean sure I'm not Superman. I can't fly. But you don't really need to fly when you can leap tall buildings in a single bound. Or move faster than a speeding bullet, punch harder than a ... train? Something like that. Uh. You know what I'm trying to say, I think? Basically its just that I was good enough to stand out. You need someone who can take a blow and smash things in a hero team.

Valhalla

GodFish fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jun 17, 2016

thejoshie
May 3, 2013
(You guys are not making this easy. Good apps. :))

ROUND ONE

Sylphid

Yes, I remember your Grandmother well. She told me all about the legacy she upheld. She was diligent about it. A good leader… and a great friend. I was your mother’s godmother. I never knew she and the Blue Empress…

Ms. Veras, I understand if the next set of questions will be a bit… traumatizing and I’ll cut it if you can’t go further… but if you please…

What lead to the Blue Empress crippling your mom? I mean… I know about the loss of her best friend, I was at the funeral, but I lost track of her… what changed her? Why would a mother maim her own daughter? What brought along such hatred towards her… towards ‘you’?

Seraphim

Let me say, first off, that I am greatly proud of the judgement you’ve shown during the ‘Red Menace’ incident. We are looking into how that student slipped past our screening process, but rest assured, you have made us all proud by your judgement. I’m sure if Ad-Archangel were able to be here today, and I really think he should’ve took timeout to be here and congratulate you himself, he would be proud to see his training come to fruition.

You know, speaking of Archangel… a few of us in ‘the business' feel that he is getting a bit more… extreme as of late. Take you, for example. He knocks you out, abducts you, and then interrogates you in his lair. That, according to the law, is kidnapping. The fact that you’re underage is a pretty little bow on top.

How do you feel about that? The fact that a hero broke the law and justified it as the ‘Greater good’? I mean, you turned out alright, yeah?

Shodan

You watch your language, young lady. You still have a lot to answer for thanks to that little out of control toy that sent a few security personel into the hospital wing! You do not want to add demerits on top of that!

And to this “MMO”? I don’t listen to hip-hop.

Now… I have here a folder that would put War and Peace to shame. I already know what is in this file, but consider this a test of honesty.

What the heck did you do to deserve a house arrest, and why did you think it was a good idea at the time?

Jewel

It’s good to see that you’re faring better Ms. Lawless. However…

…okay, I’ve kept this from you long enough, but it’s best I tell you now: the Government is denying that the GEMM project ever took place. The Florida Wormhole and the Atlantic City disaster are both being considered random acts of Metahuman terror.

It turns my stomach, because I believe every word you told me. Experimentation at the level you described… it breaks every single law, constitutional, scientific, and otherwise, that was ever written. The trauma you must’ve gone through concerns me.

How do you feel, that the possibility that your terror, your ordeal, is being swept under the rug? More importantly, how are you coping emotionally? Are you suffering from PTSD?

Fission

Right. So far, no one knows. I’ taking a great risk here and if people finds out, this team may suffer from an unprepared angle. However, the potential you shown in New Orleans can't be overlooked. You deserve to be here, in this program.

A more pressing issue however:

Based on what you told me about your origins, you thought you died. However… how did you know you didn’t die? I’ve seen more fantastic things in my career…

thejoshie fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Feb 22, 2016

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

thejoshie posted:

Sylphid

Yes, I remember your Grandmother well. She told me all about the legacy she upheld. She was diligent about it. A good leader… and a great friend. I was your mother’s godmother. I never knew she and the Blue Empress…

Ms. Veras, I understand if the next set of questions will be a bit… traumatizing and I’ll cut it if you can’t go further… but if you please…

What lead to the Blue Empress crippling your mom? I mean… I know about the loss of her best friend, I was at the funeral, but I lost track of her… what changed her? Why would a mother maim her own daughter? What brought along such hatred towards her… towards ‘you’?

She seems lost somewhere between thought and terror for a moment, before sighing and speaking up.

... N-No, I don't think it's hatred at all.

This probably needs the full story though. Most of this is from what mom told me, though. I mean, I wasn't even born yet before a lot of this happened. See, grandmother was one of the most powerful Sylphids ever. But, her turn was supposed to be over far before WW2 ended. However, she managed to negotiate being allowed to fight it to it's end. ... I have a feeling you know where this is headed, don't you?

Yeah, she basically had to concede her powers right after coming home. The thing is, she didn't come back a hero. No, she basically came back right into a witch hunt - powerless. There was nothing she could do to save her best friends life. She was despairing. Hateful. And most likely, she didn't want to make her daughter suffer the same fate. She begged for the millennia old contract with our family to be ended, but the spirits refused.

After that, she drifted apart from our family until they stopped having contact altogether. Then, a month ago, she suddenly shows up again - but not as the old woman she should have been, given her age. No, she was... young. Not too far from my age, actually. At her prime. But she was... different. Warped. Mother already realized what was going on, but she was powerless to stop it. See, grandmother took a pact with forbidden powers. And they're forbidden for a reason. See, blood spirits, they... they can and will give you a lot if things, but... they demand more and more back. Most people succumb to madness almost immediately. The fact that she was able to stay as sane as she was speaks for her talent.

Turns out, she never gave up on ending the pact with the spirits she saw the cause of most our problems. I mean, it's not like she's entirely wrong. Being a hero has it's downsides. It's dangerous and often thankless. But, still... she went off the deep end. She wanted to kill Clara. But, she wasn't around at the time. So she took the next best option - making sure my mother can't do her job as Sylphid anymore. To be honest... I think it was some sort of twisted, mad display of love towards her family. Before to long, Clara returned... with me. The two of us had been doing groceries, and returned to... this.

I still remember it clear as day. I've never seen Clara be angry before, but she was outraged. She basically lashed into grandmother before I could even process what happened. The two were roughly evenly matched and ended up fighting to a standstill, but neither could really do any harm to each other. So, Grandmother bailed. But the damage was already done. Grandmother had likely hoped that this would be enough, as I technically wasn't old enough to inherit the title yet. But no, the spirits didn't care. I'm Sylphid now. And, like I said, I'm afraid what will happen if she finds out about it... if she hasn't already.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 22, 2016

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

thejoshie posted:

Shodan
You watch your language, young lady. You still have a lot to answer for thanks to that little out of control toy that sent a few security personnel into the hospital wing! You do not want to add demerits on top of that!

Ohhhh nooooo, did I say a swear or three? Should I throw some loose change into the jar or something? Seriously, I browse four monitors worth of internet all the time - profanity is passe to me. And that robot of mine was awesome, what are you talking about? I'll even totally offer to upgrade campus security by building more, if you'll order a lot more parts for me. And I'll need more room to work, let's start talking labspace...

thejoshie posted:

And to this “MMO”? I don’t listen to hip-hop.

Ughhhh, MMORPG. Seriously you could've Googled that, would've taken you five seconds. There's really no excuse for anyone not knowing anything, given how easy it is to use computers. And yeah, I get that I'm better with them than anyone else on the planet, but that's still no excuse to not use one yourself. What I meant by it though is that we're a team, we all do different things, but I'll do my part both out of being proud of how good I am at it, and to cover for everyone else since they're covering for me being fairly dependent on my gear. As for Hip Hop, I'm really more into Trance, Electronic, Prog, video game soundtracks, anime OSTs, and some Heavy Metal mixed in now and again, myself.

thejoshie posted:

Now… I have here a folder that would put War and Peace to shame. I already know what is in this file, but consider this a test of honesty. What the heck did you do to deserve a house arrest, and why did you think it was a good idea at the time?

You know it's remarkably stupid to tell someone you're testing their honesty, right? Like, right now I'm not analyzing whether or not I should listen to the angel of truth or the devil of deceit on my shoulders, I'm figuring out whether or not you're telling the truth about that file of yours, or if it's a bluff. And, since I'm not Vizzini, I'll be keeping that analysis to myself rather than verbalizing it.

Alright fine, I've deduced that you do actually know, so no harm in telling you. I hacked Visa's credit card servers on Black Friday, like I mentioned. Thing is, I did it in such a way that they still returned positive checks for everyone's available balances - it's just that charges didn't go through. Sooo... for about five hours, hundreds of millions of people had unlimited money. Really doubt that many people noticed and took advantage of it, but it felt good to do for a lot of reasons. One, lots of people buying Christmas presents on that day that I got to be a behind-the-scenes Santa-Shodan for. Second, it was a bitch of a hack to pull off, even for me, and I'd executed it so elegantly. Thirdly, definitely ordered a ton of parts that day for my PC...

Shodan's question posted:

Wow Shodan, you're incredibly cool. Why'd you pick that name? How does that Power Negation of yours really work?

Wow, that's two incredibly good questions - so obviously I asked them. Well me, first answer? I picked Shodan since I was ten and I loved System Shock and used it as a handle when I needed to take credit for my first public hack. Listen, it's served me well, I love it more than my goofy and embarrassing real name that I keep secret - and now I'm known by it on the news most of the time. Super cool right?

As for my Power Negation... basically, I just sort of understand the intricacies of other Metahuman's powers, usually only takes me a glance to do so. And once I've processed what it is that they do, a solution for defeating it just sort of pops into my head, no effort really required on my part - and once I know what to do, it's child's play to use one of my various inventions to shut it down. Know how media always preaches that brain beats brawn? For me it's very, very much true.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 22, 2016

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

I'm not scared.

I know what's going to come, sooner or later. I know my days are numbered - but they've always been numbered. It's not as scary, knowing you're going to die young, when you never had the illusion you weren't going to do so. The doctors always said - to my parents, when they thought I wasn't listening - that I'd be lucky to even reach adulthood, and in my darker moments I just wished it would end already, because what was the point? I was never like other kids, never could be.

Looking back, the... pity was the worst thing. The way I was treated like I was made of glass, like everyone had to be thrice as gentle or I might break. People speaking to me differently, going out of their way to change their language so it didn't 'upset' me, like I couldn't hear the absences in their sentences. Not being able to do anything even remotely athletic sucked, but not as badly as seeing the looks on peoples' faces; the sadness, the pity, the unspoken "I'm glad I'm not like her" written across their expressions. The people who got angry that I didn't respond to their bleeding-heart sympathy the way they expected or wanted, the people who coddled me and were shocked I wasn't grateful.

Soon enough, I had no 'friends' left. Was just written off as 'difficult' for daring to impugn on their perfect little lives. The day my 'best friend' confessed that this was all too hard for him, I thought about ending it all. That's when I stumbled onto the Myriad. I don't know how they got to Earth, what luck brought me to them at that moment, on that day, but it saved my life, in more ways than one. How to describe them...

They're nanomachines, of some extraterrestrial or extradimensional source, and they're amazing. Since I bonded with them, I've never felt sick since - I've felt more than healthy, and I can do things I can only describe as superpowers. Of course, there's a cost. I'm not at risk of certain death due to illness, like before, but the Myriad didn't lie or deceive me - as we bond further and further, the border between them and me will break down, until there's no separation. The more I take actions that aren't 'acceptable' to human society, and lose my grasp on what makes me human, the quicker it will happen.

But I'm not scared. I knew I wasn't going to live a long life. At least now I can do things with the time I have left - I can make a difference in the world, and that's all that matters, right?

quote:

Name: Amelia 'Amy' Lee

Hero Name: Avatar

Look: Female, Asian, Containment Suit, Steely Eyes, Medical Costume

Abilities: Body Transmutation, Vitality Absorption

Freak: +2
Danger: +1
Savior: +1
Superior: -1
Mundane: 0

Doom
What brings your doom closer?
Injuring innocents, Frightening loved ones

Doom Track: □ □ □ □ □
When your doom track fills, clear it and take one of your doomsigns.

Who is your nemesis? The Singularity - the thing the Myriad are fleeing from, and trying so desperately to defeat. An organism that is their antithesis.

At the end of every session, answer the question: Did you make progress on defeating your
nemesis? If the answer is yes, mark potential. If the answer is no, mark your doom track.

Sanctuary - the Myriad's Shipwreck - somewhere in the countryside. Its shielding and defences render it inaccessible to those outside of the Myriad, but it's still well known and easily surveilled.
You have a place where you can rest, recover, and reflect upon your powers. There are 3 features of your sanctuary:
A library of valuable tomes; A containment system; A powerful computer

There are 2 downsides of your sanctuary:
Draws Dangerous Attention; Location Known To Many

When you call upon the deeper nature of your powers in your sanctuary, you can solve impossible
problems. Say what you want to do. The GM will give you one to four conditions you must fulfill
to complete your solution:
- First, you must _____
- You'll need help from _____
- You and your team will risk danger from _____
- The best you can do is a lesser version, unreliable and limited
- You'll need to mark one box on your doom track
- You'll have to obtain _______

Doomsigns:
Portal: Mark your Doom Track to appear in a scene with anyone you want.

Advances:
  • Burn+3 Flares: Boost, Shielding, Constructs

Backstory
- When did you first learn of your doom?
Immediately after I encountered the Myriad. They communicated it to me, and I understood and accepted it before I touched them, and let them bond with my body.

- Where did you get your sanctuary?
From the Myriad themselves, again. They showed me where their ship had crashed, in their desperate attempt to escape - showed me how I could access it through them, and it's wonderful.

- How is your nemesis tied into your doom?
The Singularity is what the Myriad fear most - one of their own, assimilating the million million voices of their race into a single, overwhelming will. Its very presence erodes the barriers of consciousness, crushes individuality into conformity. Its presence hastens the merging of me and the Myriad, and it seeks to absorb all of us into itself.

- Who, outside of the team, is crucial to facing your nemesis?
Ironically, it's a supervillain. The Archivist, who collects advanced technology and magic for his own nefarious deeds. The Myriad are convinced he has a weapon that can destroy the Singularity - at great cost.

- Why does the team matter to you?
Because I stand with them as an equal. I'm not just the sick victim to be pitied anymore. They'll respect me. They have to.

When our team first came together… We paid a high cost for victory. What was it?
(Will fill this in later)

Relationships
You told _______________ all about your doom and the danger you're in.
You'd love to kiss ________________ before your doom comes.

Influence
These people matter for what you need to do. Give Influence to two of your teammates.

There were two - the first was that I'd burned all the bridges I had in my old life. The second was that I was very, very obviously supernatural - I didn't see any reason to hide while time ticked down.

I... had an honest conversation with her, that's all. My time is limited, I've sacrificed for this power. Any other would-be hero has their whole lives ahead of them - I don't.

Valhalla

AdjectiveNoun fucked around with this message at 13:32 on May 22, 2016

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

thejoshie posted:

ROUND ONE
Seraphim

Let me say, first off, that I am greatly proud of the judgement you’ve shown during the ‘Red Menace’ incident. We are looking into how that student slipped past our screening process, but rest assured, you have made us all proud by your judgement. I’m sure if Ad-Archangel were able to be here today, and I really think he should’ve took timeout to be here and congratulate you himself, he would be proud to see his training come to fruition.

You know, speaking of Archangel… a few of us in ‘the business' feel that he is getting a bit more… extreme as of late. Take you, for example. He knocks you out, abducts you, and then interrogates you in his lair. That, according to the law, is kidnapping. The fact that you’re underage is a pretty little bow on top.

How do you feel about that? The fact that a hero broke the law and justified it as the ‘Greater good’? I mean, you turned out alright, yeah?

It must be easy for you obeying the law. Where was your law when my parents were gunned down in the streets. Where was your law when I slipped through the cracks and was left to fend for myself? The greater good is the only good there is. The law is not good in itself who was it who said the law is an rear end whoever he was he was right. What makes a hero a hero isn't his allegiance to a bad law it's about being willing to do the right thing even if it comes with a cost. Did he do the right thing kidnapping me? I dunno he didn't intend to harm me he only wanted to ask me questions find out what I'd done. And to be honest it was probably the best thing to ever happen to me. By now I'd probably be dead on the street or forced into something worse if it wasn't for him. I owe Ada--Archangel my life. He didn't have to take me in he could have happily sent me back where I was. Hell if was as unstable as your implying he could have dropped me off the side of a building but he didn't and you know why? Because he tries to do the right thing. Does he always do the right thing? I'm not sure I can judge but I won't let you insult him without pretty drat conclusive evidence he's going off the deep-end.

In the meantime I'm going to do what's right and if that turns out to be against the law. So be it. I'll take the consequences. That's what Adam's taught me don't be afraid to stand up for what you believe,.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

thejoshie posted:

ROUND ONE

Fission

Right. So far, no one knows. I’ taking a great risk here and if people finds out, this team may suffer from an unprepared angle. However, the potential you shown in New Orleans can't be overlooked. You deserve to be here, in this program.

A more pressing issue however:

Based on what you told me about your origins, you thought you died. However… how did you know you didn’t die? I’ve seen more fantastic things in my career…

There is no emotion that is betrayed beyond the mask as the modulated voice responds in its weird way, "Don't let anyone know about me. Don't get caught, and I am in?" He asks and looks around the abandoned warehouse, the light of a barrel fire one of the few sources of light in the room. Here there was nothing, and he had made himself into a nothing, an unknown, but this was to strip away his identity, and swallow any sense of pride. The question of whether he was going to go to anything length to win, or to at least save the most people... from himself. There is a moment when his gloved hands flexed, and a brief pause of silence that was allowed to fall.

"Done. I want in." He had made his choice and would go full force. The memory of his sister seemed to be pouring down the racing thoughts in his mind, but he was use to not letting all of that out. Instead his mask became his wall from the fear, excitement and anticipation that others might see. He was good at hiding behind the mask, and had spent month cultivating a persona of mystery and of an every person. This would define him in ways that he was supposed to be repulsed by, but he felt nothing other than opportunity, and most of all redemption. Some things were worth fighting for without any worry about the injury or fear.

The question caused him to think for a moment, "I- don't know." He said honestly, "I appear to be healthy, and whole with no bad things as far as I know, the only result is the other thing. I might have been traditionally dead, I mean, I had to be taken apart to an subatomic level, to quantum tunnel to where I was." Under the mask an ironic smirk spread across his face, and the thought that he sounded a lot smarter than he really was. "Maybe, I did die, and right now this is only a fragment of me, an echo left behind. If that is the case, I will use the chance to do what I can to save who I can." Determination was able to get through the filtered voice box as he looked across at the experienced veteran.

It wasn't a pleasant thought to be so separated from the world that you might just be an echo, an reflection that the universe decided to spit out after you were atomized. There wasn't anything that he could say or think of, and he assumed you couldn't, instead you had to move on and look forward. There was a job to do, and he was willing and able to do anything to get it done.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

thejoshie posted:

ROUND ONE
Jewel

It’s good to see that you’re faring better Ms. Lawless. However…

…okay, I’ve kept this from you long enough, but it’s best I tell you now: the Government is denying that the GEMM project ever took place. The Florida Wormhole and the Atlantic City disaster are both being considered random acts of Metahuman terror.

It turns my stomach, because I believe every word you told me. Experimentation at the level you described… it breaks every single law, constitutional, scientific, and otherwise, that was ever written. The trauma you must’ve gone through concerns me.

How do you feel, that the possibility that your terror, your ordeal, is being swept under the rug? More importantly, how are you coping emotionally? Are you suffering from PTSD?

What, don't tell me you thought they were going to admit to that sort of thing? Of course they're going to deny it! .... Wait a second, are you implying the Flordia Wormhole was the result of another one of these .... Projects? loving poo poo. ... Oh, uh, Sorry about your table. Uh. I'd offer to buy you a new one, but... yeah. Not a lot of money.

But yeah. I never expected it to not be swept under the rug. Its just that I know its there. So I'll be pulling the rug off one day and getting that dirt back into the air. Or... whatever. Metaphors, not my strongest skill. But you can count on it, I'll find out how was responsible for this, and make them pay. But me, oh, I'm fine. Just fine! I had Juliet to keep me sane, and I still do now.

Its easier than I thought to live. I have my goal keeping me from going crazy, and I'm really good at fighting now. It's pretty fun, being able to smash anything out of the way. If only I'd been able to do this back then... Could have saved us all before anything had happened. Aside from that... I've got a year or two of popular culture to catch up on, movies, and the like.

thejoshie
May 3, 2013
So, a bit of an update before more questions: The new deadline is Thursday. I do this because, honestly, We got some solid apps already. If you want to be considered for this game, NOW is the time to speak.

Anywho, to the questions:

Round One

Ms. Lee, let’s start with a legitimate concern here… and it’s not what you think.

The Myriad. From the sound of things, they consist of some pretty advance technology and some of our techs are worried about that. It’s been proven they can take over people… but what about machines? Electronics?

And thinking this both ways, can other machines affect you? Radiowaves, E.M.P.and the like?

And tell me more about Sanctuary. You’ve been going there alot during your free time. Where is it located? Who else knows about it?

…have talked to your loved ones lately?

Round 2

Sylphid

Writes on notepad

Right. Thank you for your honesty, I know this is difficult to talk about. Let’s change to something pleasant.

Celerasaphie.

When you wrote about her, I was intrieged and I definitely want to meet her. I never met a Slyphid before.

That being said… how much does she trust you? Don’t get me wrong, there is no reason to distrust her, but, say, if you had to keep secrets from her, how would she take it?

She picked you and she picked your heir… does this mean she picked Veronica as well? Were they close? What… criteria does she use? I know you might not ‘know’, but give me a guess.

Shodan

Irritation is evident as she takes notes. She visibly crosses something off before placing down her notepad.

Riiiight. I was going to ask about your name, but you saw fit to ask it yourself. No bother.

So now comes a more pertinent one. Your hacking skills are peerless in this school and you have a knack at building things... even if they do put people in the hospital...

She says that part through clenched teeth.

Anyway! Let's see your 'other' ability. Analyse me. Imagine I’m not crippled. Imagine me in my prime you spend time on the interwebs, so you must know my powers. Imagine me being inbetween you and your goals. How would you negate my powers? How would you put me down? Let’s see you in action.

She smiles at this. Almost as if she enjoys seeing people workout problems.

Seraphim

Nods as she writes down some notes.

Just like him. You don’t give a drat about others opinions as long as you’re sure what you’re doing is right.

And you’re wrong. I’m neither judging you or him. I’m merely bringing up that not everyone agrees in his methodology, and that will wash over onto you by association.

Still, you are your own person. Tell me, have you considered somehow… breaking the mold he casted you in? Escaping his shadow? If so, how?

Fission

Nods as she listens to you. She’s about to say something, but draws back. Instead…

Okay… Fission, I do plan to have team building social activities. So we need to think of a reason why that mask doesn’t come off… any ideas?

Jewel

EASY! Easy...

Ms. Doring peeks down at the toothpicks that used to be a table.

Okay, I understand your anger. And your solution for it. We 'will' uncover this barbarism. I promise.

...but you're right, you do have a lot to catch up on (we both do, apparently...'Massive Mulitplayer... WHATEVER!)...

Coughs in her hand to regain composure.

Right. I guess what I want to know here is... how have you been getting along with life in general. You was out of touch for a long time. Anything in particular that you have trouble getting used to?

thejoshie fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Feb 23, 2016

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

thejoshie posted:

Shodan
Irritation is evident as she takes notes. She visibly crosses something off before placing down her notepad. Riiiight. I was going to ask about your name, but you saw fit to ask it yourself. No bother.

Oh WOW. And you think you're irritated?! Seriously, like... you've got my name in front of you, you heard me bring it up, and you STILL mentioned it? Come on! Yeah, my name's Miracle Dreamer. My parents are giant hippies. Know what happens when the other kids at your school learn your name's Miracle? You get beaten up a lot and become a nerd. Good thing I'm a genius, or my childhood would've been very alienating. So yeah... anything else you want to ask me about? "Oh look Shodan, you're very pale, have you ever thought about trying to tan?" Seriously what's your problem, Ms. Boring?

thejoshie posted:

So now comes a more pertinent one. Your hacking skills are peerless in this school and you have a knack at building things... even if they do put people in the hospital... She says that part through clenched teeth.

Of course they are. They're probably unmatched on the planet if we're being honest. What else can I say? Computers make sense to me, I've been programming since I was five, I'm basically a Tech-Wizard with my awesome mutation... and yeah, part of that means making mistakes every once in a while. I'm just so drat clever, so my mistakes are blah blah blah. I wish those people hadn't gotten hurt - but really, that's your fault for having dumpster-tier security here. No way I could've guessed that a robot I threw together in ten minutes was going to thrash all your poo poo for half an hour. That's on you.

thejoshie posted:

Anyway! Let's see your 'other' ability. Analyse me. Imagine I’m not crippled. Imagine me in my prime you spend time on the interwebs, so you must know my powers. Imagine me being inbetween you and your goals. How would you negate my powers? How would you put me down? Let’s see you in action. She smiles at this. Almost as if she enjoys seeing people workout problems.

Ohohohoho, really? You wanna go there too? Alright, how I'd handle you... probably just look at a clock for a couple minutes, wait for you to pass away or break a hip or something. You're like, a hundred, right? No way the reaper's that far away, Ms. Doring. Time's on my side.

Fine, serious talk, you in your prime. And yeah, I've watched the old vids - more importantly, watched how you move, look at things, how your hands twitch sometimes. How would I handle you? For starters, enhanced physical capabilities don't mean a lot when you can't see or hear me. Flashbang and smoke pellet combo to even that particular playing field, good thing I've got defensive googles. Your, uh, 'Rocket's Red Glare' beams? Dumb name, and they're clearly linked to your nervous system. Hit a pressure point or two, use a taser to overload you for a bit, and suddenly I'm not at risk of getting flashfried by one of your glorified fireworks. That Constitution of yours doesn't really hold up to an Inhibitor Dart, either, and I'm packing like seven... which brings me to the Checkmate. I carry this shotgun of mine for a reason - you did say put you down - and you'd be helpless again then. Crippled, even.

Kaboom, Ms. Doring.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Feb 23, 2016

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

thejoshie posted:

Sylphid

Writes on notepad

Right. Thank you for your honesty, I know this is difficult to talk about. Let’s change to something pleasant.

Celerasaphie.

When you wrote about her, I was intrigued and I definitely want to meet her. I never met a Sylphid before.

That being said… how much does she trust you? Don’t get me wrong, there is no reason to distrust her, but, say, if you had to keep secrets from her, how would she take it?

She picked you and she picked your heir… does this mean she picked Veronica as well? Were they close? What… criteria does she use? I know you might not ‘know’, but give me a guess.

She visibly lightens up as soon as the topic changes to Celerasaphie.

Oh, that can be easily arranged. I'm sure she'd love to meet you.

Huh? Oh, hm. Well, to be honest, she doesn't mind at all. I mean, sure she's a bit of a ditz, but... she's still been living with a human family for a good couple of centuries. She's basically a big sister to me. ... A big sister that's been alive for longer than some countries exist, I know...

But, anyway. Prepare... to be disappointed. I mean, she's super nice and all, but don't expect ancient knowledge or whatever. She's really nice, but... also pretty aloof. The spirits just think a lot differently from us. Not to mention that she's also kinda... lazy. Generally getting any information at all out of her is pretty hard, even something mundane as where she put a hairbrush. But I think she genuinely enjoys being with humans, especially children. Even if the conversations tend to be pretty awkwardly one-sided...

Her seemingly good mood disappears as the topic goes back to her grandmother.

Yes, of course. She did. I mean, she's been around when my grandmother was a baby. It's kind of hard not to be close to someone when you've been in someone's life from minute one. Now, of course I don't know the exact details of why she picked her. Hell, I don't think anyone in the family does, as weird as it sounds. She's not exactly forthcoming about it. She basically just walks up to you and says "You're Sylphid now." ... not like I'm speaking out of experience or anything at all. She didn't do that with me. At all. It wasn't sudden at all or anything.

If she does have criteria, they're pretty drat arcane. Maybe it's got something to do with being a kind person or whatever, but... I still keep to my pet theory that she literally just picks whoever indulges her 'hobbies' the most. She's just the kind of person where it wouldn't surprise me at all, you know?

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

thejoshie posted:

Fission

Nods as she listens to you. She’s about to say something, but draws back. Instead…

Okay… Fission, I do plan to have team building social activities. So we need to think of a reason why that mask doesn’t come off… any ideas?

"It is just a gasmask now, but with resources, and a few tools, I could retool it into being an actual rebreather with a HUD. As for why I don't take it off, medical reasons." He says simply, and then swallows, "The other option I do, and have to wear a dress, but I am willing to go that far. I would-" He swallows looking around the room and then back to her, "-need help in pulling that off." He says plainly and honestly, "As for medical reasons, me being badly burned and having to have a respirator to breath would be enough to have me wrapped full body and wear a mask. Either way could work, I feel with my voice though." He stops silently, "It might be best to have me in a mask. Just give me some tools and I can tool around and make something that looks legitimate and better than this old army surplus. An accident like mine would be something that would normally lead to full body burning and scarring, so that isn't unusual, and if my mouth was damaged, eating and breathing might be an issue. I am fully committed anyway you go." He adds without thought.

The thought of condemning himself to a mask, or even to full body clothing, in the hope and pray that he could be trained to be superhero is something that he gave without thought. The dress he was less keen on, he didn't want to risk discovery in the shower or some other mundane task that he couldn't perform. A burn victim is more close to what he was now, than the well person he would have to play as. After all, he was a nothing man.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

thejoshie posted:

Ms. Lee, let’s start with a legitimate concern here… and it’s not what you think.

The Myriad. From the sound of things, they consist of some pretty advance technology and some of our techs are worried about that. It’s been proven they can take over people… but what about machines? Electronics?

I... don't know everything about the Myriad, but I have to think that if they could exist outside a biological host, they'd already have done so, right? I guess if the microwave starts talking, we'll know for sure. I'm pretty sure I'm the one in control (for now), anyway. I should test that out, it would be so cool!

quote:

And thinking this both ways, can other machines affect you? Radiowaves, E.M.P.and the like?

Yeah. Uh... I haven't tested it, for obvious reasons, but the Myriad have warned me about it. I get hit with an EMP, and it's 'goodbye Avatar, hello terminally ill little girl' for a while, if not forever. So... going to be avoiding those.

quote:

And tell me more about Sanctuary. You’ve been going there a lot during your free time. Where is it located? Who else knows about it?

It's located in a forest, not far from here. It's, uh... at the edge of a cliff - the one I was going to try to throw myself off. You have to go out of your way to get there, so it's not something that any random joe could stumble onto, but if people do know where it is, it's easy for them to keep tabs on it. I... don't know who else knows about it - aside from us, of course.

quote:

…have talked to your loved ones lately?

I might have, if I had any.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Lisa Rèn - Vermillion Dragon

So uh. Right. A little bit about me. Well, I'm technically sort of a legacy hero, I guess? Part of the Dragon legacy. Stories of our family go back hundreds of years, thousands even, we apparently were blessed of the Azure Dragon, and given great strength as a family. I mean, our family survived every war in China, the bloodline never dying out, as bad as it became, so maybe it was true. But more than that, I mean, we have had some actual sort of heroes in recent years.

I mean, my great-grandmother secretly was the Rising Dragon, back during World War 2, a Chinese-American vigilante, protecting those of Asian descent from the rampant racism. She was something of an outlaw, and more of a villain back then, I mean, it wasn't until after she'd died that people really acknowledged she was a good person, and not some kind of supervillain. But I guess busting open internment camps with kung fu, and taking out dozens of armed guards was a bit much for people back then. She's kinda my hero still though, she was a wanted fugitive but she kept going, until the day she died. The problem with not being bullet proof is that one wrong move, no matter how skilled you are, and you're dead.

Grandma took up her mantle and uh, was even less popular. She was the White Dragon, and well, she got out to show the corruption behind the Vietnam war. She did a lot of work to expose atrocities, to call out politicians for hiding reports of the terrible nature of the 'war'. She was branded an actual terrorist, but some people respected her a lot. Once again, no powers - she was just well trained by her mother, and she embraced her mother's role past her death - she firmly believed that no one should ever need to die in this world, and that wars were naturally criminal. They never caught her, she just disappeared one day, leaving my mother with her father. The current terrorist watchlists list her as a 'current threat' still, but no one's heard from her in over thirty years. But apparently on the day I was born, the mark of her handiwork - a white dragon sigil - appeared in the room my mother had made for me, above the crib.

Mom was the first generation of the Dragon with uh, 'mainstream' appeal. She didn't have powers either, but Grandma had been training her since she was three years old, and so she was able to stand with the superhumans who made up her generation. She called herself the Azure Dragon for real, and was pretty successful for awhile, I mean, she had a good team, worked to stop a few country threatening incidents... no one knew her relation to the other Dragons, and she kept her identity well hidden. I uh, well, she doesn't talk about Dad often, but we think that's where my actual powers come from - she told me that the only man she ever loved said he would leave her a gift, and then leave her. And I was that gift.

So yeah - I wanna make it very clear, we've got no family history of powers - i mean we had superhuman speed from training, from thousands of years of passed down knowledge. Mom wasn't able to pass this to me though, I was... I was different back then, I was born with spinal muscular atrophy. Some gift, right? Broken daughter, couldn't even walk, was probably going to die before she was out of her teenage years. Mom couldn't really stop being a hero, so I got cared for by... well, teammates of hers, family members of theirs, butlers and maids sometimes - one of her teammates was rich, so uh, yeah.

The fact that my abilities showed up the way they did... mom couldn't have expected it. So, like a lot of kids, partway through puberty, my abilities manifested. I... well, the story from witnesses of our house that day said that a storm was above only our home when it happened, and that dozens of lightning strikes hit our home. Each and every one struck my body - the wracking pain of the electricity stimulated something in me, something different from my mother. My arms and legs became absolutely covered in thick red scales, my hands became giant claws... oh, and I also killed my mother, and burned down three other houses. No one else died, luckily but... well....

When a six foot tall monster of a woman is in the middle of flames, assumptions are made. I could barely walk at the time, I mean, my legs were powerful, but trying to stand, to move, it was odd to me. So when the police surrounded the home and I stumbled outside, I couldn't even try to escape. That's when I learned these things on my back are bullet proof at least. It uh, well, they apparently called in some heroes when I fell and covered myself with them, assuming I was going to do something. So my first meeting with actual heroes after my transformation had them beating on me. It took... it took awhile after my arrest, for my story to be reviewed - the only reason anyone even took a second glance was that they found my mother's 'base' in our basement.

So lets go over the things that contributed to me being named a 'menace to society' - I burned down three homes, I killed someone, I have claws that are so sharp that no known material weaker than diamond is fully resistant to them, I have horns growing out of my head, I have wings that are powerful enough to support myself and a few others in flight... oh, I can also lift multiple hundred pounds, and... well, lets just say I can be very, very destructive when I want to be. That, combined with the fact that I... well, I transformed when I was thirteen, and went from being under four and a half feet tall to being over six feet. It's been a few years since then. I have not stopped growing. I stand at a little over eight feet now, one of the largest women supers in the world whose powers aren't size based.

So with all this, what made me feel convinced that I had to join this school, that I had to join this team? It's a matter of helping people, not a matter of honor, not a matter of making up for my sins. My great grandmother fought the government when it oppressed people, she did not ask to be viewed as a hero. My grandmother fought a society of war, of terror, of inhuman acts, she exposed secrets that showed we were not the good people we pretended to be. Mom fought because it was in our family to fight, she didn't want to be famous, she wanted to protect the world. She always told me the stories of these great things.

And, well, I figure who would be better to help me find my father, than the actual government? They must have some way to track down those with powers, maybe... and if not, I still would need the training, because I clearly was not going to have a normal life - I can't even hold someone's hand, let alone type on a computer or do any kind of precision work.

quote:

Well, besides being a bit of a pariah socially, and wanting to help reform the image of Heroes, it was because of the connections that I could make here. I want to know why what happened did happen, I want to find who my father was, and why I've never once met him. I know he has to be a Powered of some sort - the nature of my own form is obvious as such, for had I been holding the power of Qinglong, as my family is said to, I would look very different from this... western look. I presume he has powers similar to my own, so I mean - just look for the freaks, the standouts... the weird ones.

Okay, sure, and it's because I wanted to be able to fit in somewhere, maybe. Not that anyone here looks weird, everyone's just... small, and stares at me as much as the civilians tend to when I walk around. I'm a bit jealous of the ones who can just... take off their costume.

quote:

Well, it wasn't exactly being a model student, but it was being a good person, I guess. See, we have some teachers here who are a little harsher than others, and they push us in a lot of different ways. Some of us didn't excell at 'live fire' practices, where we got to use our powers in combat, and Agent 'Coach' Matthews, on loan from some sort of government program, well, he's kind of a cock. He's got no powers, and he thinks people with powers are a risk. He's a good fighter too, well trained, was military, then went government full time. He's harsher on those of us with powers, and some of us with powers don't instantly have the courage to stand up to a large adult man yelling at us. One time he was taking his frustrations out on Warp. who uh, well, his power is just teleportation, but it triggers when he's scared mostly.

He got really, really upset at Warp, for failing to really take to the lessens - he was always running away. And then Warp teleported while he was being yelled at, and... well, Agent Matthews didn't like being ignored, and went on a big authority kick. So uh, I punched the instructor. Not with my full might, but I hit him, and put myself between him and Warp. Because I am more than happy to take his abuse, I can take it. So yeah, I'm not on the team for the best reason - I'm not the best choice for it, probably, since we want to prove that we are not rogue agents. But I've got what was described as a good sense of right and wrong. So... yeah.

quote:

Hero Name: Vermillion Dragon
Mask: Transformed
Look: Woman, Mixed Asian, Scaled Flesh, No Costume, Piercing Eyes
Abilities: Inhuman Might, Impenetrable Armor

Labels:
Freak +3
Danger +1
Savior +1
Superior -1
Mundane -1

Conditions:

Moves:

Not Human Enough: When you directly engage a threat in a terrifying fashion, mark a condition to choose an additional option, even on a miss.

Unstoppable: When you smash your way through scenery to get to or away from something, roll + Danger.
On a hit, the world breaks before you, and you get what you want.
On a 7-9, choose one: mark a condition; leave something behind; take something with you.

Coming for You: When you mark a condition, take +1 forward against the person you most blame for causing it.

Be The Monster: When you frighten, intimidate, or cow others with your monstrous form, roll + Freak. On a hit, they are thrown off and make themselves vulnerable to you, or they flee. On a 10+, choose 1. On a 7-9, choose 2.

- You frighten others you had not intended to scare.
- You hurt someone or break something you shouldn't have.
- You feel like more of a monster afterward; mark a condition (GM's choice).

On a miss, they react with violence, hatred, and paranoia, and you suffer the brunt of it.
[i]

Team? What team?: When you use Team selfishly, clear a condition or mark potential. The first time in a session that you use Team to help a teammate, take +1 forward.

Backstory:

We drew attention and ire from plenty during the fight. One important person in particular now hates and fears us. Who is it?

Relationships:
___________________ comforted you when you were at your lowest.
___________________ knew you before you changed.

Influence:
You try not to care what other people think, even if it isn't going too well. Give Influence to one teammate..

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 24, 2016

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

I'm pretty interested in this, but I missed the backer period for Masks so I don't have access to any of the playtest materials. Is there any way I could work with someone to make a character? I want to make a Multiple Man-ish character who's basically in a cold war with another faction of herself.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Gwen Anderson aka Bravura

Backstory posted:

How did you gain your skills?
Years and years of intense training. See, I used to be a ballerina.

I lived and breathed dance since I was about five. Boston School of Ballet, Julliard Pre-College, I was on the gueling fast-track to stardom. Did you ever have something you knew was bad for you but you couldn't get away from? Dance was like that for me. Loved it. Absolutely adored it. All kinds, ballet especially. It sucked down all my time. It shaped my whole life, took it over, the same way you hear about for child actors or Olympic athletes. I lived dance, I breathed dance, it crowded out everything else from my life. Which was fine, because I loved it.

Maybe I would have sought balance on my own. As it was, I didn't have a lot of a choice, becuase a the ripe old age of fourteen, I blew out my knee. Massively, the full on pins and staples and surgery and everything. It sucked. I mean, as you can tell, I'm fine now, but ballet's a harsh, obnoxious mistress. I was off the bar for two whole years and by that time...well, it's an art that chews up practitioners young, that's no secret. Sixteen and I freaking aged out!

But I had to stay active. I spent my off-years trying to jump to acting - you'd be surprised how many make that leap. Even Audrey Hepburn! I had a half-dozen good stage roles, but it's still tough. I tried to stay fit too, lots of swimming which is easy on the joints. A friend suggested I try archery - it's good upper body without straining my knee. That's pretty awesome and old school. Turns out it's well suited for heroing too, although I didn't plan it that way.

Backstory posted:

Why do you try to be a hero?

Says something that you'd ask that. 'Why do you, silly girl with no powers, try to do this?'. Because how could I not?! The chance to be an actual, real life superhero? Wow!

That and, you know, it's the right thing to do. My aunt's a big-time criminal defense lawyer, and...I know people hate them, but I guess all her talk about everybody deserving justice rubbed off on me.

Backstory posted:

Who, outside of the team, thinks you shouldn't be a superhero?

My parents aren't too thrilled. My dad, especially, thinks I've gotten seduced by the glamor. Which....he's not entirely wrong. Loving performing is about loving the craft, yes, though I'd be lying if I said it wasn't partly about performing, about the attention. I always thought I performed better with an audience. Gotta bring the A-game for the audience.

I keep telling them that moving to superheroing isn't that different from moving to acting. They were willing to send me to Prometheus. I can tell they're humoring me.

Backstory posted:

If I'm honest? Because they're a gateway to adventure. I mean, awesome as I am, I'm still just a chick with a bow. Can't fly, can't shoot lasers from my eyes. How else does a human get to hang out with godlings?

Backstory posted:

When did you first put on your costume?

About six months ago. After the emergence, I knew what I wanted - and if I didn't get powers...well, I had training. I had a new knee. Why not me? I intensified my training and talked to a few friends in costuming about getting an outfit. I think it's pretty slick!

I'll admit maybe I'd seen too many movies, but once I had the costume, I figured the thing to do was go out and....well, find trouble. Took me three days hanging out on rooftops and listening to a scanner app. Couldn't get to anything fast enough (drat, flying would be handy!)

thejoshie posted:

It's awesome.

No, really. Look, I know some students took this as their last change. Some took it instead of prison. Me...well it's like I said. When do I get to hang out with godlings? I've spent most of my life surrounded by exceptional people. I don't think I could just got back to a normal high school. Ick.

thejoshie posted:

Even in super-school, there's a pecking order. There's the pretty girls, the athletes, the science club. And even if we're not following the John Hughes templates for poo poo anymore - c'mon, Mark Zuckerburg? - there's still kids who pick on other kids.

Why....well, I can guess. Angela Nelson's got super-strength and a huge chip on her shoulder and a rich family, so you do the math. She's been in this weird love triangle thing and one morning it just burst out in the dining hall. Angela went after tiny little Sonya Kim, yelling, pounding the table. It was gonna come to blows and everybody was dodging away.

Except me. Right, clearly the person who should dive in against the super-bruiser is the bog-standard human. Still didn't stop me, I went in. I took all the same martial arts classes as everybody else - hell, maybe I paid more attention. I didn't put Angela down, but I held my own until Miss Doring arrived.

My bruises lasted for weeks. Worth it.

thejoshie posted:

The Doring School for Gifted Youngsters. Clearly.

thejoshie posted:

I Love the Smell of Heroics in the Morning

quote:

Hero Name: Bravura
Origin: The Beacon
Look: Woman, White, Stylish Clothing, Flashy Costume
Abilities: Acrobatics, Archery & Trick Arrows

Stats:
Freak -1
Danger -1
Savior +2
Superior +1
Mundane +2

Moves:

Straight. Up. Creepin'.
When you scope out a person or place, roll + Mundane. On a 10+, ask 2. On a 7-9, ask 1.
  • What happened here recently?
  • What is being concealed here?
  • Who or what here is not what they seem?
  • Whose place is this?
  • What's my best way in/out?
On a miss, you find yourself in over your head. The GM will tell you why this is a bad spot.

No powers and not nearly enough training
You're always picking up new gear to keep yourself in the game. Whenever you pick up a new piece of gear, you can write it in as a new ability if this line is empty.
Treat the new piece of gear as if it were any other ability. When you use the gear in a novel and risky way, mark a box to roll + Mundane instead of + Freak to unleash powers with it. When you mark the third box, the gear is used up, lost, or recovered from you in the process.

Drives:
Choose 4 drives to mark at the start of play. When you fulfill a marked drive, strike it out, and choose one: mark potential, clear a condition, take influence over someone involved. When your 4 marked drives are all struck out, choose and mark 4 new drives. When all drives are struck out, change playbooks, retire from the life, or become a paragon.
  • Lead the team successfully in battle
  • Kiss someone dangerous
  • Punch someone you probably shouldn't
  • Help a teammate when they most need you
  • Take down a threat all on your own
  • Show up an adult hero
  • Pull off a ridiculous stunt
  • Save a teammate's life
  • Get drunk or high with a teammate
  • Drive a fantastical vehicle
  • Get a new costume
  • Get a new hero name
  • Earn the respect of a hero you admire
  • Make out with a teammate
  • Punch out a teammate
  • Break up with someone
  • Stop a fight with sense and rationality
  • Tell someone your true feelings for them
  • Travel to an incredible place (or time)
  • Reject someone who tells you “you shouldn't be here”

thejoshie
May 3, 2013
As of now (the typing of this sentence), it is 12:35 am, Thursday.

I got a total of 8 Apps. 8 Awesome, entertaining apps. Being made aware that a previous Masks game entertained 7 players, It shouldn't be a stretch to run 8.

So congrats to Yami, Rauri, Axe, Ferrosol, Kitty Empress, Platonic Solid, Godfish, and Noun. You're all in.

Once I've done some book keeping, I will open up the OOC GAME Thread.

For now, to speed up the process, go ahead and fill in the relation ship questions.

But first, each of you have a vital question to answer!

1. Jewel, We defeated a dangerous enemy. Who or what was it?

2. Fission, We saved the life of someone important, either to the city, or to us. Who was it? Why are they important?

3. Shodan We totally broke some major rules to win the fight. What rules did we break? Whose rules were they?

4. Avatar, We paid a high cost for victory. What was it?

5. Sylphid, All things considered, we did well and impressed an established hero. Who was it?

6. Vermillion Dragon, We drew attention and ire from plenty during the fight. One important person in particular now hates and fears us. Who is it?

7. Serephim, We stuck together after all was said and done. Why? How'd we keep in contact? (Not necessary to answer due to obvious reasons)

8. Bravura, We found signs that this incident was just the start of something bigger. What were the signs?

So yeah... the game is afoot! Lets do this!

thejoshie fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Feb 25, 2016

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

So, preliminary stuff. Shodan's technically #3 per the earlier post order, but causes a stack overflow and comes in at position #0.

quote:

Who should be the leader of the Valkyries?

Sylphid gets my vote.

quote:

We totally broke some major rules to win the fight. What rules did we break? Whose rules were they?

Yeah yeah yeah, Ms. Boring constantly goes on about "not causing excessive collateral damage." Know what happens when you get into a real, life or death fight? You cause damage if you need to. For us, that meant about a city block more or less devastated, quite a few parked cars, and also I MAY have detonated part of main-street with some extremely well-placed remote mines... and hijacked the electrical grid to overload some Robotic circuits. Whatever, we won, plus it all looked totally badass!

quote:

Relationships
You keep trying to impress Avatar with your antics.

OK, so... Avatar's tech? It's INSANE. Like, I'll flat out admit to being jealous, and it only bugs me a TON that she didn't have to invent any of it. Think how much I could learn from even a single afternoon spent studying all those sophisticated nanomachines of hers! She's been coy so far about letting me, for reasons that are both eminently reasonable while simultaneously being incredibly unfair - she doesn't trust me! Whatever, I'll prove to her how incredible I am, and she'll totally let me go all Mad Scientist on her Tech soon.

God, that sounds kinda hot, doesn't it?

quote:

You and Jewels pulled an awesome (if illegal) stunt together.

Hell yeah we did! She's got something of a rebellious streak to her too - by the way, waaaay too many of my teammates are total Goody-Two-Shoes - so it didn't even take all that much to convince her to join in on my plan. See, I'd gotten an idea a while ago - why not plant micro-loudspeakers all throughout town? Broadcast to them from my computer, and if we did a good enough job spreading them around, it's like having my own Podcast that the whole city has to listen to. So... between her bizarrely amazing physical capabilities, and my astounding genius, we spent three hours blanketing the town in equipment, then broadcasted our first message throughout the town. We decided on this. The article on it in the newspaper the next day is framed and displayed proudly on the wall of my room.

quote:

Influence
You care way more than you let on. Give three teammates influence over you.

Sylphid - Due to being Team Captain, Shodan cares an awful lot about what she thinks... but mostly so she can be contrarian about it.
Avatar - The only person on the team with technology that Shodan is interested in, she's spared being the recipient of Shodan's pranks.
Vermillion Dragon - The team has a dragon-person on it, and you expect Shodan to not be excited about it?! She's got brawn covered, Shodan can handle brains.

I'm still watching you.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Feb 25, 2016

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Turn 2

Bravura knew you from your civilian life first. (As the Campus Barista/Coffee Slinger)
You refused to tell Shodan your secret identity when they asked.

quote:

Instead of having a leader we should have an anarchistic compound that is ruled by the needs of the many over the few. The jobs that needs to be done get done, and then using a massive organized ai all resources and plans are dolled out according to exactly what our best ability is. Then it creates murder bots and kills humanity.

quote:

You look up to your teammates; they seem to have this superhero thing figured out.
Give two of them influence over you.
Sylphid has been doing this generationally, where I might be generationally a person!
Avatar pays a high price for their powers, as I do to defeat my own monsters.

quote:

2.) Fission, We saved the life of someone important, either to the city, or to us. Who was it? Why are they important?

Doctor Carol F. Wieschaus

Nobel Prize winning biochemist and genetist, she was working on a gene therapy that would make it possible to stop most cancer, and possibly assist with multiple genetic diseases. At the time the lab was raided she was researching air borne grade retroviruses that would literally clear the air of all viruses and bacteria in an attempt to biologically sterilize, or perhaps treat large groups of people at once. However, some of the containers were missing as they were stolen even after we defeated them. To what end, I have no idea. However the city is now putting her work, and her lab as the forefront of what they want the city to be. The heart of the biological and genetic development of the country. Without the doctor, millions of people would be dead, and the city's now grassroots almost rise in laboratories would be shut down to as who would be the next target.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Feb 25, 2016

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Well I could wait for axe and godfish to get their act together but that feels like a giant waste of time, so I am posting now instead of at #5.

quote:

Shamelessly voting for myself. I mean, Sylphid already had a month's experience beforehand, and she's likely to be the group's face as is - what with godlike-beauty literally being one of her superpowers. Might as well make it official, yes?

quote:

All things considered, we did well and impressed an established hero. Who was it?

Archangel. Yeah, uh... I'll be honest, I'm not very proud of this one. See, the man kind of got... different values than most heroes. So when Shodan blew up half the city to destroy some robots (grumble, grumble...) he praised us for being such an effective team right off the bat!

Goddamnit. DON'T GIVE SHODAN IDEAS!

quote:

You once got caught breaking your legacy's rules with Shodan.

Yeah... uh, not sure how to say this but just hanging out with that lunatic borders on breaking our rules. But on top of that, she's a bad influence. Without even realizing it, she ended up talking me into abusing my gift of beauty for personal gains. Well, more like her gain, so it's kinda flaky, but... still. I got to be more careful around her.

quote:

You trust Jewels and told them an important secret of your legacy.

Jewels seems like a good person at heart. Not to mention, she's been through far more hardship than I have. And she's keeping secrets on her own.

... Well, okay, I may have blathered out we have a pretty well stocked occult library hidden away below our home. And, uh... actually invited her there. It's just... she's so sympathetic to me. She's in a way shittier situation I am, so I just felt like we could trust each other. I mean, she thought it was ridiculous, but at least she didn't laugh about it... Oh boy, I really gotta learn to keep my mouth shut.

quote:

You're a part of this team, for better or worse, and you care what they think. Give
influence to all of your teammates.

There ya have it. Influence for everyone!

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

quote:

Sylphid comes from a long lasting line of heroes and is probably the most famous of the lot of us so she's the logical one to take charge. My only worry is she may not be tough enough to do what needs to be done in a pinch.

quote:

You and Shodan teamed up a few times from before the rest of you
came together.

Ah Shodan yes it's good to have a familiar face on the team. She's the self-proclaimed worlds greatest computer hacker so she's been invaluable with regards to electronic information. Combined with my skills with reading people and we made a great team to take down some quite tricky villains. Besides that she has a wicked sense of humour and is probably the closest thing I have to a friend on the team.

quote:

Your mentor is cautious; they asked you to keep an eye on Avatar.

Avatar is potentially very dangerous. I mean don't get me wrong she seems nice enough but who knows what additional enhancements and directives the aliens might have built into her. They almost certainly don't think like Humans so who knows what they might think of as normal. Besides we know so little about the broader galaxy around us these aliens could promise anything and how would we know the truth.

quote:

Choose your demeanor: Playful.

If you choose Playful give influence to two teammates.

Brauva and Shodan both know how to have a good time and are great to blow off steam with after a hard days work. I mean don't get me wrong I fight hard but I play hard too.

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 25, 2016

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

quote:

Sure, I'll get on the Sylphid bandwagon here.

thejoshie posted:

8. Bravura, We found signs that this incident was just the start of something bigger. What were the signs?

So, Sciomancer. Don't...don't even ask about his powers, it makes no freaking sense. He and Spambot hit this lab, and then we...kind of blew it up. Seriously, blew it up. I blame Shodan. Because, you know, she did it. Good news, nobody got dead, not even on the team. Bad news is, kind of incinerated the lab. We don't even know what Sciomancer was looking for. I got curious and one night Seraphim and I did some digging into the public records. There were a couple shell companies, a management company and a real estate trust. The lab looks like it was some kind of military R&D place. Sooooooo, that's bad. And nobody's talking. What the heck was Sciomancer looking for? Did he get it? What could be worth such an obvious attack?

Relationships posted:

Seraphim is awesome and you take every chance to hang out with them.

I get along with all the girls, really, except Shodan, who's...rather prickly. I enjoy time with Gabi - Seraphim the most, though. She really gets how cool it is to be doing what we're doing, that we don't need to be chewing glass all the time, we can also have fun. Fun's sometimes in short supply around here,so I like to hang out with her as often as I can.

Relationships posted:

You've got to prove yourself to Sylphid before you feel like a real hero.

Sure, Sylphid is the team leader, so there's that. But even more than that, she's this tremendous legacy. Everybody knows who Sylphid is...or a Sylphid, they might not know Carolin yet. She's got all this power, I'm...human. If I can keep up with her, then I'll know I've hit my peak.

Influence posted:

You are so excited to be here. Give influence over you to three of your teammates.

Sylphid and Seraphim, clearly, and....apparently Bravura's involved with Jewels.

Platonicsolid fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 26, 2016

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GLYhy0dJg4vJalU-SZhXJKYkEk44ay9GJMmkYSptdMo/edit#gid=0

String sheet for you people that are for some reason not in #swampthings all the time!

Also I volunteer for giving me influence because the leader can give the entire team a bonus if they have influence over the team.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
The coffee baresta knows all your coffee secrets and thus influences all! >:o

thejoshie
May 3, 2013
A thought:

Valkyrie, apparently have three bases.

1. The school itself.

2. Avatar's Sanctuary.

3. ......the coffee shop.

In reference to three, would this make Valkyrie the Seinfield of superhero teams? :p

Anywho, still at work, will jump into IRC when I return home. I have early shift. XD

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

thejoshie posted:

A thought:

Valkyrie, apparently have three bases.

1. The school itself.

2. Avatar's Sanctuary.

3. ......the coffee shop.

In reference to three, would this make Valkyrie the Seinfield of superhero teams? :p

Anywho, still at work, will jump into IRC when I return home. I have early shift. XD

The coffee shop is the hideout of the enemy! Do not be fooled by their lies!

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Yami Fenrir posted:

The coffee shop is the hideout of the enemy! Do not be fooled by their lies!

Aka the only boy on campus that is the characters ages. :P

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

quote:

Who says we need a leader? Frankly, I don't think we need one, or that anyone here is really qualified to boss the rest of us around!

thejoshie posted:

Avatar, We paid a high cost for victory. What was it?

Well, it was a complete mess. Like you'd expect from the first battle of a thrown-together-team. Sure, we won in the end, but the collateral damage sure isn't going to help how ordinary people see people like us, and we didn't even get the guy behind it all! So we're definitely going to have them to contend with in the future, except now they know who we are and what we can do...

quote:

You told Shodan all about your doom and the danger you're in.

I don't do this often, you know? I feel like it would just make people pity me again. But Shodan keeps... pestering me, like I'm some buffet dinner she wants in on! I'm not used to being pestered, and it's not as bad as pity, but I wanted to make her realize that it's not some amazing thing for her to SCIENCE with. ...I don't think it worked, though.

quote:

You'd love to kiss Jewels before your doom comes.

I mean... do I really have to explain this? She's cute.

quote:

These people matter for what you need to do. Give Influence to two of your teammates.
Sylphid and Bravura I need people like them who are focused on heroism for the sake of heroism to help me get at the Archivist.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

quote:

Leader stuff

Who cares who leads us? We're smart enough to know how to follow whoever is in a position to lead at the moment - calling someone the Leader just means they think they're more important than the other people on the team, and we're all here for the same reasons, aren't we? Why encourage that?

quote:

We drew attention and ire from plenty during the fight. One important person in particular now hates and fears us. Who is it?

Our first mission was fine we did fine, but of course everyone has some critics. So what if we made use of a a city bus to deflect the villain from hurting some civilians? I mean, it's better than people getting hurt - and no, I totally didn't intentionally let the mayor's picture be the part that got destroyed. And no, I also didn't know that he had just finally gotten the funding for the new busses a few months back, and spent all of it. Look, I don't get why he hates us - we saved people, it's not our fault that his stuff got damage by a villain!

Jewels comforted you when you were at your lowest.

Seraphim knew you before you changed. -

Mom and Archangel actually worked together pretty often - you know, stopping world damages and stuff. I'm uh, I'm pretty different now, from back before when I sometimes 'got' to meet the heroes.

You try not to care what other people think, even if it isn't going too well. Give Influence to Avatar

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 25, 2016

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

thejoshie posted:

Who should be the leader?

Now I know a lot of my teammates think we shouldn't have a leader at all, and I can see the appeal, but the truth is if we want to succeed at taking on powerful enemies and crime organizations (and governments) we need a strong leader who'll never break under pressure. And the only person suited for that position is me. Jewels 2016.

thejoshie posted:

1. Jewels, We defeated a dangerous enemy. Who or what was it?

We defeated The Sciromancer! ...Look I didn't name him, that was the name he picked, okay? Anyway he was attacking the Lab with Spambot to, dunno, get more science to mance, I guess? You'd have to ask someone else how "the power to control and manipulate science" works, because I sure don't understand it, but he can fly and shoot lightning and combine chemicals with his mind or something to make explosions. Anyway he's a big name villain, and we beat him up and drove him off even with Spambot creating like a million robot copies of himself to try and distract us, so take that anyone who doubts us!

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Updated my previous post. Should be good to go.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

quote:

Relationships
___________________ is your love. You've opened up to them about the worst parts of your past.

Bravura! She's... Well, she's Normal, you know? Not 'normal' but Normal. No powers. But she's good enough to stand on the same ground as us, it's really impressive. And I think if anyone can understand what it feels like to go from being just a person to a hero she can. Its not like our circumstances are remotely the same, but she's lived both lives. So I told her about me, she's the only one who knows the full story. No one else on the team knows everything. Also she's really cute.

quote:

___________________ is your rival. They tried to control you at a crucial moment.

Sylphid is my rival! I know her, and she's trusted me with her secret, so its not like I hate her or anything, but she somehow is convinced that she's the team leader, and keeps trying to boss us around! If anyone is in charge, it should be me, but even with that, during the fight with The Sciromancer she kept trying to tell me how to fight! As if I didn't know that. Hrphm.

quote:

Influence
You're focused. Give your love and rival influence over you, but that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thejoshie
May 3, 2013
Issue #1 is out!

All readers of this thread gets it for free by clicking the link below!

Click!

NOW!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3765903

...why didn't you click yet!?

• Locked thread