Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

If you don't think Support can carry watch MadLife shoulder the entire CJEntus team on his back every single game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Supports can totally carry. They might not always get the kills but they can manipulate poo poo so hard that even inept teammates can do their job.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Playing support is like playing the Commander in Natural Selection

You can completely carry the game by being omnipresent on the map and putting stuff down to protect them

or you can completely gently caress them over by thinking you're some kind of passive help bot

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Of all the games I've played this season there are a few that stand out as the absolute least fun possible, and they're all ones where I'm the solo stuck with a 4 stack. Allowing that poo poo was one of the most boneheaded things Riot has ever done. Even worse that they prevent third party sites from showing who's queued together; if I'm gonna get absolutely hosed by four people with perfect comms while being ignored by the rest of my team the least they could do is let me know that it's gonna happen beforehand.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

misguided rage posted:

Of all the games I've played this season there are a few that stand out as the absolute least fun possible, and they're all ones where I'm the solo stuck with a 4 stack. Allowing that poo poo was one of the most boneheaded things Riot has ever done. Even worse that they prevent third party sites from showing who's queued together; if I'm gonna get absolutely hosed by four people with perfect comms while being ignored by the rest of my team the least they could do is let me know that it's gonna happen beforehand.

I'm pretty concerned that Riot is going to just not release Real Solo Queue and just leave it with only Dynamic.

And when the gently caress is the Japanese server coming back? I can't go back to NA after I've had a taste of that sweet, sweet 30 ping.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Mikujin posted:

Not true at all. A skilled player in any role can influence a game heavily. Case in point, I just got to watch support Elise carry a team via tons of roaming ganks in mid. Like, she rushed swifties and just constantly showed up mid (sometimes with the jungler, many times without) and crushed someone's dreams. While she wasn't making GBS threads damage or anything, she was able to convert a lot of presence into kills and gold for the enemy mid-laner.

I swear this is so loving legit and more people should be doing it

Remarker
Feb 7, 2011

misguided rage posted:

Yeah, there's a lot of things I like about the new queuing system but not at the very least visually communicating that people are grouped together in some way seems like a big problem Riot needs to solve.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

rabidsquid posted:

I swear this is so loving legit and more people should be doing it

Ganking mid as a support? Sure. Making that support pick Elise? Eh... Her problem in that role is the same as her in the jungle: if she doesn't stay ahead she's pretty mediocre. Cocoon picks make her great, sure, but not every team is coordinated to make use of that in soloQ.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

pkollar posted:

Yeah, there's a lot of things I like about the new queuing system but not at the very least visually communicating that people are grouped together in some way seems like a big problem Riot needs to solve.
It's insane because they at least allowed third party APIs to tell you at one point but sometime a season or so ago they explicitly forbid it. It was a dumb decision then and it's even dumber now that you can do more than duo.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Nothing drives me more insane as a bot lane player than when I get first blood in lane as Jhin/MF/some other immobile ADC and the waves are freezing right in the middle of the bot lane and my support just peaces out to roam mid or something. If you get an advantage, you push the advantage where it is, not leave the ADC to fend for themselves and pick up whatever gold they can scrape up. If your ADC is poo poo and feeding and the lane is lost, then by all means try to help someone else, but don't leave me when I'm getting my snowball going, deny the enemy laners even more.

Yes I'm a salty ADC main.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Got the W but holy poo poo

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
am i supposed to be looking at the immense amount of frags or am I missing something

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Mikujin posted:

Ganking mid as a support? Sure. Making that support pick Elise? Eh... Her problem in that role is the same as her in the jungle: if she doesn't stay ahead she's pretty mediocre. Cocoon picks make her great, sure, but not every team is coordinated to make use of that in soloQ.

I'm not fond of it either but apparently it's pretty big in high elo korea, so, you know, that alone is going to make it fotm.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Luna Was Here posted:

am i supposed to be looking at the immense amount of frags or am I missing something

Imagine an ARAM

That's not on the ARAM map

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
has anyone else tried strength of ages on graves? thoughts/worth?

best champ ever btw, ty for putting me in silver from placements riot

Lovechop fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Feb 21, 2016

Who
Dec 29, 2000

Fozzle posted:

I think ADC is one of the worse positions to "carry" from. I always feel like without a team you can't do a ton.

You can carry yourself out of any division, with anything, though. Especially bronze.

Nah, just play Corki and watch the LP trickle in.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Lovechop posted:

He seems to benefit too much from thunderlords, yes the sustain is nice but unlike say Quinn, his reloading makes it hard to keep him in combat long enough to get the proc without using abilities to shove the wave

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

foutre posted:

Build Banner of Command on AP supports if you need the pushing power; I don't think Nami is the best as a carry support -- she's very good at laning, and has great cc, but doesn't scale as well imo. I'd suggest Morgana for a more traditional support that can scale really well off of AP while peeling well. Other good options for aggro supports that can build carry are Vel'koz, Zyra, and Brand, each of which can build Banner/push well independently. My impression is that bronze games go on forever, and any of those 3 can get huge picks/teamfight wins later game with items.

I'm personally a fan of Bard to carry; Zzz'rot and Banner are very legitimate on him, he does a ton of damage andcan roam to snowball the game really easily.

:argh: I hate morgana support! But I'll start playing more Zyra support and toss in some Vel'koz since I am more than familiar with those champs. Ugh, zzrot totally made up for nami's poor pushing power....

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Lovechop posted:

All the pro Jungle Graves players do Strength of the Ages. I don't know about lane Graves though, I think one of the combat ones would be better. I think Fervor of Battle is my preference on all bot lane ADC, even caster ones, Corki might be the sole exception where I would want to run Thunder.

I have some random mastery questions/thoughts that have probably already been addressed before in the thread but aside from the past week I hadn't played regularly this season at all so I'm still a bit rusty and confused:

1) Does Deathfire Touch + Magic Piercing ever outperform Thunderlord's + Precision on any burst mages? On paper I expect it would but looking on Champion GG and Probuilds it seems not.

2) Is Thunderlord's the best choice for harass support like Bard / Thresh, to a lesser extent Sona? I feel like requiring 3 consecutive hits actually makes me force fairly bad play habits. I think Windspeaker is more reliable on like Sona/Nami, but I don't know about Bard because his heal isn't spammable in the same way, and I have tried a bunch of different Keystones on Thresh and I don't know if I like any of them at all. Maybe I should try Grasp of the Undying on him? Even though I laughed about some guy doing that the other day.

3) Is there any champion in the game who actually uses Stormraider? I was thinking maybe burst caster AD like Varus or Jayce? I tried it once the other day and thought it was hilarious but not all together very useful.

4) What makes you choose between Swiftness (Tenacity / Slow Resist) and Legendary Guardian (AR/MR when in range of enemy)? I looked up a lot of probuilds and seems like almost everyone prefers Swiftness universally across roles, but there's a lot of all-in type champions I think would make much better use of LG, and in previous iterations of the mastery tree I remember valuing that much more.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
finally did my placements. 4-6 b3, should be easy enough to climb back into silver I think

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Libertine posted:

All the pro Jungle Graves players do Strength of the Ages. I don't know about lane Graves though, I think one of the combat ones would be better. I think Fervor of Battle is my preference on all bot lane ADC, even caster ones, Corki might be the sole exception where I would want to run Thunder.

yeah i was going fervor, it's so good. i don't like thunderlords on graves either because his new kit rewards staying in the fight and slugging it out. i basically copied cabochard's complete build from the vit vs h2k game:

http://matchhistory.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/#match-details/TRLH3/1001530055?gameHash=2f42705092eb05b9

you can't die. if you ever get low health, your sterak's and maw pops and you just kill everyone. just tried a quick game with strength of ages though because i was against double assassin, it's not too bad.

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty

Libertine posted:

4) What makes you choose between Swiftness (Tenacity / Slow Resist) and Legendary Guardian (AR/MR when in range of enemy)? I looked up a lot of probuilds and seems like almost everyone prefers Swiftness universally across roles, but there's a lot of all-in type champions I think would make much better use of LG, and in previous iterations of the mastery tree I remember valuing that much more.

Swiftness definitely makes sense in terms of "I am less likely to get owned in lane/by a gank". The most you will ever get out of LG is a cloth armor/mantle's worth of stats so it's probably just not as good unless you are against a team with no worrying CC or you are playing a character that doesn't care at all (Hecarim, Alistar, Malph or something)

quote:

1) Does Deathfire Touch + Magic Piercing ever outperform Thunderlord's + Precision on any burst mages? On paper I expect it would but looking on Champion GG and Probuilds it seems not.
I don't think so, the ability seems like it's designed for a grindy laner who's going to be able to keep that thing up constantly. The problem is that anyone who that might be true for is going to get better mileage out of going grasp and having the tank tree. The only thing I can even think of is maybe someone like Kennen vs a melee matchup.

It might be better in a vacuum sometimes than Thunderlord's since it does not require the 3 hit or have a cooldown, but I can't think of any situation where that's worth going all the way down the ferocity tree to get it.

A Stupid Baby fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Feb 21, 2016

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Maybe I'm just bad but it feels difficult to carry from the ADC position, because you tend to build just damage on ADCs and it's hard to carry a game with autoattack damage alone because you're still as easy to kill as ever and if 5 people are gunning for your rear end you're probably gonna die. This can change and burstier, dodgier, or tankier ADCs have a better time of things but you still lean on your team. Contrast with a bruiser getting ahead where you're basically immortal and kill nerds in like 3 seconds anyway. I'd rather have a fed bruiser than a fed ADC.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I use dft on Karthus and anivia. I did the math and you need like 610 ap for a full 4 second burn to do more than a thunderlords proc. But as both Anivia and karthus I feel I am constantly applying 2 second burns to several people so it's probably better and 600 ap isn't even that hard to get 7% pen is probably better than 3-8 flat mpen too once I have abyssal.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 21, 2016

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty

BigLeafyTree posted:

Maybe I'm just bad but it feels difficult to carry from the ADC position, because you tend to build just damage on ADCs and it's hard to carry a game with autoattack damage alone because you're still as easy to kill as ever and if 5 people are gunning for your rear end you're probably gonna die. This can change and burstier, dodgier, or tankier ADCs have a better time of things but you still lean on your team. Contrast with a bruiser getting ahead where you're basically immortal and kill nerds in like 3 seconds anyway. I'd rather have a fed bruiser than a fed ADC.

Specifically dealing with bronze and maybe silver I find ADCs tend to be played really badly post-laning. It's not so much that you have to be good at it or "carry" as you have to not be an idiot who won't show up to teamfights and/or walks in a circle.

Kog also doesn't get banned much unless I do it, which helps a lot.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Libertine posted:

3) Is there any champion in the game who actually uses Stormraider? I was thinking maybe burst caster AD like Varus or Jayce? I tried it once the other day and thought it was hilarious but not all together very useful.

Ryze, Varus, Jayce, and TF seem to be the only champions who benefit from the mastery.

Has anyone done any look at what role pick percentages are shaping up to in dynamic queue? When I started playing dynamic queue it seemed like mid was not hard to get; however, that was in normal games. Now that I'm playing ranked and queuing up as mid/jungle it seems like I'm basically playing 100% jungle.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Sexpansion posted:

Ryze, Varus, Jayce, and TF seem to be the only champions who benefit from the mastery.

Has anyone done any look at what role pick percentages are shaping up to in dynamic queue? When I started playing dynamic queue it seemed like mid was not hard to get; however, that was in normal games. Now that I'm playing ranked and queuing up as mid/jungle it seems like I'm basically playing 100% jungle.

I've seen it on Nasus sometimes, it seems like the best choice when you're gunning for that 5% CDR mastery.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

As far as I can tell, jungle and support are the most wanted roles. I always get one or the other if they're options in my queue. I would wager mid is probably sought after alongside top.

Xyretire
May 22, 2003
Lickin' the Gun.

Sexpansion posted:

They've been running Stormraider's on mid lane Zilean as well. It lets him get in, drop a double bomb on someone's head and then get out with the massive move speed buff.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
I tried it on Mordekaiser last night and it was like when Rush turns into a jetpack because Morde's Megaman boots turned him to full rocket mode. Also Morde top is loving comical.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Spiros posted:

As far as I can tell, jungle and support are the most wanted roles. I always get one or the other if they're options in my queue. I would wager mid is probably sought after alongside top.

I think role popularity is probably mid>top>jungle>adc>support.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Azzents posted:

I think role popularity is probably mid>top>jungle>adc>support.

Yeah this is generally right for bronze thru gold but jungle can move into second when farming junglers are good. i queue jungle/top and have been getting a lot of top games this patch since everyone wants to play udyr or whatever

edit: RE: Stormraiders, it's pretty good on Hecarim

Tales of Woe fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 21, 2016

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

I could see Stormraider's on Talon being useful, at least on a situational basis

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...
i tried stormraiders anivia and it went ok but i would have rather had dft. r->e and running fast away was fun though.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Stormraiders is backwards as gently caress. If you have enough damage to proc it, you'd rather have thunderlords and kill them. If you need to run away, it's because you don't have enough damage. It'd be way more useful if it was the other way around and let you run away from people who did a lot of damage to you.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Tales of Woe posted:

Yeah this is generally right for bronze thru gold but jungle can move into second when farming junglers are good. i queue jungle/top and have been getting a lot of top games this patch since everyone wants to play udyr or whatever

edit: RE: Stormraiders, it's pretty good on Hecarim

Shyvana and devo Trundle aren't always good? :shepface:

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

K8.0 posted:

Stormraiders is backwards as gently caress. If you have enough damage to proc it, you'd rather have thunderlords and kill them. If you need to run away, it's because you don't have enough damage. It'd be way more useful if it was the other way around and let you run away from people who did a lot of damage to you.

You're supposed to have enough damage to kill someone and then be able to chase somebody else. I've used it on Yi with decent success.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

K8.0 posted:

You use it for chasing, not running away.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Everyone wants to channel their inner Faker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soreign
Dec 31, 2015

Meanwhile on EU.... oh and we had an ahri jungle.

• Locked thread