Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Wigan are not a very good side.

I know it's early season, but there be a sizeable gulf in quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

cpaf posted:

Did Elliott Whitehead play? He's another Canberra SL import with big raps on him

Yes he looked good too.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Double post lol

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Just watched the WCC, Wigan sure are some grubby cunts

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
Today I learned there are two Nikorimas in the NRL.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Jono C posted:

Jayden has been carving up U20s for a while now, he was one of a few upcoming Broncos developed talent (inc Ash Taylor/Matt Parcell) that they let go of last year. Jayden is the younger and supposedly better brother. Hasn't played a proper first grade game yet AFAIK

Not sure if Jayden has declared his allegiance to NZ like his brother but if he does I reckon you'll see them together in the team sometime in the future

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

Jono C posted:

Nikorimii

ili
Jul 26, 2003

cpaf posted:

Not sure if Jayden has declared his allegiance to NZ like his brother but if he does I reckon you'll see them together in the team sometime in the future

Jayden's declared for Qld and Australia, played in the junior Kangaroos last year IIRC.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
There are some brave kidnappers in Vietnam:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/feb/21/former-nrl-player-jamal-idris-victim-of-attempted-kidnapping-in-vietnam?CMP=soc_568

I hope Idris can get it together and come back - he's someone I always liked seeing play, even when he was testing our defence apart.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I like the little touches of realism in the newest NRL game, like when the tigers have been on a ten game losing streak there's nobody at the games.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Haha Tamou got knocked the gently caress out by Garbutt after slapping Galloway. Personally I'd prefer the slapper gets the red, gently caress that pussy poo poo.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

ili posted:

Jayden's declared for Qld and Australia, played in the junior Kangaroos last year IIRC.

Cool that we can have the Tariq brothers playing for different states and the Nikorima brothers playing for different nations

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen

Smorgasbord posted:

Haha Tamou got knocked the gently caress out by Garbutt after slapping Galloway. Personally I'd prefer the slapper gets the red, gently caress that pussy poo poo.

Yeah, hard to feel too sorry for Aussie Jim here.
https://twitter.com/williams_kieran/status/701509662659706880

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Looks like the Raiders will just buy out Tapines contract. So 80k to start him a year early here. I think that is a pretty good win by the Raiders tbh.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Good to hear

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Josh Hodgson re-signed with the raiders for another 2 years. The raiders spine is locked in to 2018 yay

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Nice to see the tigers aren't waiting for the season to start to have an injury crisis

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Man did the Rhinos ever get slapped hard (literally and figuratively) by the Cowboys.

I like to think that, if Leeds had their entire Grand Final side injury-free to start the game and NQL were missing almost half their Grand Final side, the Rhinos would have won. But the disparity in playing ability between SL and NRL this year was massive.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Apollodorus posted:

Man did the Rhinos ever get slapped hard (literally and figuratively) by the Cowboys.

I like to think that, if Leeds had their entire Grand Final side injury-free to start the game and NQL were missing almost half their Grand Final side, the Rhinos would have won. But the disparity in playing ability between SL and NRL this year was massive.

It's always been a bit of a disparity, WCC results are fairly even historically but usually our clubs don't send over their entire A-grade teams and aren't used to English conditions. The structured and set play that NRL teams have used and refined for years is also at an advantage of the more natural style popular in SL. It's nothing to do with the athleticism or ability of English players obviously, with stars like the Burgeoi, Widdop, Hodgson or Graham being some of the best in their respective positions in the NRL, NRL is just played at a higher level of intensity.

I remember my grandfather talking about when they first started airing NSWRL games in Queensland and people were ringing up and complaining that the games were being shown in fast-forward because they just played at another level of pace to the Queensland competition of the time.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Well the Cowboys definitely sent their A-side. Still, the first forty were telling--and encouraging for me as a Leeds supporter.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

cpaf posted:

I remember my grandfather talking about when they first started airing NSWRL games in Queensland and people were ringing up and complaining that the games were being shown in fast-forward because they just played at another level of pace to the Queensland competition of the time.
That may have swung around somewhat.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Super League often seems faster to me, but not as structured as NRL. Case in point, Leeds' offloading style of play that often doesn't really get anywhere but takes a lot of effort and energy to work.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
BREAKING NEWS

http://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/bears-set-for-shock-nrl-return/

:byobear:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

OMG the prophecy in the OP was true all along!

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I'm just glad there's already an SA Forums smily ready for it!

:byobear:

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

You should be sad Burn Down Canberra because apparently the Broncs just signed Tevita Pangai Jr from the Raiders and the dude is an absolute weapon

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

cpaf posted:

You should be sad Burn Down Canberra because apparently the Broncs just signed Tevita Pangai Jr from the Raiders and the dude is an absolute weapon

Thats why we signed tapine. It was pretty much a done thing a few months ago. Cant win them all.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

If this actually happens I'm actually going to have to back up the chat and get a jersey

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I'm sure if and when the Tigers finally implode completely I'll give being a bears fan a shot.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Card carrying bears member itt.

Eh, that will make two teams of dribbling retards i would follow.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Welp, that's the Gold Coast going under then. One of the many, many reasons they flopped is because they associated themselves with NSW far too much in everyone's minds. Being bought out by the North Sydney Bears and moving games to NSW isn't going to help. But on the other hand it's not like things could get any worse for the Titans anyway.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
I blame Greg Bird.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Smorgasbord posted:

I blame Greg Bird.

Greg blames his flatmate.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
So, uh, Shaun Kenny-Dowall...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11594906

https://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league...223-gn1xia.html

Yeah, gently caress that guy.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
They met at a bar in Bali...sheesh could he be any more of a bogan. Well, he could be Australian, but still.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Wasn't there heaps of weird poo poo with this like she'd made allegations against a past boy friend that turned out to be fabricated and she wanted money from the club or something before going to the police?

Ha, not entirely unrelated but I just remembered her mother texting nude pics to whatshisname the sprinter who replied "lol" when she tried to bring him out to australia for some bullshit excuse to try and get laid.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
It is entirely possible that they are both awful, yes.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

My first instinct upon reading

quote:

On June 15, 2015, he allegedly took her into a headlock and then pulled her hair.

was to say that it was the natural end state of the NRL's banning of punching causing him to fight like a girl but I'm not sure that the NRL thread is quite that dark.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Also gently caress him, if that stuff is true he's garbage and should have the book thrown at him. Preferably in the face, repeatedly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Sounds like a hugely toxic relationship and they're both pretty scum tbh, zero tolerance for SKD though and the Roosters should sack him (they won't)

• Locked thread