Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

8ender posted:

The modern interpretation of a 70's Japanese pony car aesthetic this concept is pulling off is giving me a monstrous car boner

Available 2015 2016 2017!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Made me think of a challenger that went through the wash.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I really want to like these, but the high beltline is killing me. It's the same thing with the new Challenger/Charger/whatever muscle cars.
The trend of putting giant wheels on everything is forcing bigger arches, which fores the beltlines higher. Just put 17" wheels on them and give them normal proportions.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

8ender posted:

The modern interpretation of a 70's Japanese pony car aesthetic this concept is pulling off is giving me a monstrous car boner

The faux-but-could-be-real front splitter got my attention.

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

Funzo posted:

I really want to like these, but the high beltline is killing me. It's the same thing with the new Challenger/Charger/whatever muscle cars.
The trend of putting giant wheels on everything is forcing bigger arches, which fores the beltlines higher. Just put 17" wheels on them and give them normal proportions.

The high belt lines are a result of side impact standards. The big wheels are because they are popular and they make the high belt line not look totally ridiculous. I hate the black plastic that tries to hide how tall the body of the Challenger is.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

I thought the IDx was dead?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Funzo posted:

Lots of power from the factory -> bigger brakes to keep lemmings from roasting them -> bigger wheels to fit the brakes.

You can meet side impact standards without high beltlines, but it involves creative engineering solutions that tend to piss off firefighters. When your doors contain structural elements that the jaws of life can't cut, you might not be helping much. I don't like the feeling of driving in a bathtub either, that's part of why I love my lifted jeep.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

kimcicle posted:

I thought the IDx was dead?

Kinda. Haven't seen an official statement. They probably figure they can string us along a little bit more

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Wait...

4WD?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Speaking of cool AI poo poo, a lot of what I see comes from:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/808547945893612/

Any other groups you guys enjoy reading daily?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

fyodor posted:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Now those are proper stacks.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Nope, badass stagger.

Collateral Damage posted:

Now those are proper stacks.

Fun fact: There was a brief period of time in the late 1960's where modified and supermodified oval short track cars were using virtually the same aluminum big blocks that the McLaren's and Shadow's of Can-Am were using. Eventually the Can-Am cars went to even larger (!) displacements than the mods and supermods had, but I always thought it was funny that I and one of the guys that post in SAS both had fathers who built race cars at the same time. His dad was building these bleeding edge Can-Am and F5000 cars, my dad is building square frame rail dirt modifieds and they both were using the same types of engines, haha

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

coolest wheelchair i've seen since Colin Furze's scooter

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

fyodor posted:

I'm partial to this one

https://www.facebook.com/HellaFunctional/
because it's my page

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Stealth promo. Nice. I followed it.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

GOD IS BED posted:

coolest wheelchair i've seen since Colin Furze's scooter

Supermodifieds were literally referred to as "coffins with wheels" here in the northeast back then

My dad tells a story of a race in the early 70's at the local track, a flat 5/8ths dirt oval. They ran it in around 17.5 seconds, something like a 130mph average. It took until 2007 to break the track record, but the World of Outlaws smashed it, and it stands at 16.2/144mph now. The race in the 70's was red flagged once due to all the ambulances at the track already dropping drivers off at the hospital. They restarted when one finally returned, needed it again and called the race. It was one of the last times a supermodified ran a dirt oval.

Of course, they still ran them on the dirt mile in Syracuse until the mid 1980's.

Of course, you can see the obvious radical development in a supermod from the picture I posted awhile ago and that one, but they both have M&H Racemasters, :laugh:

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 20, 2016

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

You seriously have to have something wrong with you to drive one of those.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

wallaka posted:

Cars are heroin. You keep chasing that feeling you got the first time you floored it in a car until nitro methane sounds like a good idea.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

wallaka posted:

A nice in car film, it certainly isn't a leisurely Sunday cruise. Notice the odd shock absorber placement......

.....that's because winged supermodifieds use active aerodynamics. Higher speeds flatten the angle of attack, cornering forces it to a larger angle.

It looks crazy.

Here's part one of the 1983 running of the Budweiser International Classic 200, the most important wingless supermodified event of the year. Takes place in Oswego, NY.

Part two.

Basically supermodifieds are what Indycar would have been if they stayed primarily an oval series and didn't have an influx of rear engine European Grand Prix cars in the early 1960's. At that time, supers were starting to run used Indy roadsters, modified for even more chassis offset to turn left. Indy went down the rear engine road course path, but supermods were roadsters taken to their most logical and extreme conclusion. I've posted this before, but it's the great history of the evolution of wingless supermods at Oswego.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT6rffxs5cU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Built in MN, puts down ~1000hp :stonklol:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
the gently caress is going on in the back? why are there air intakes on the rear windows?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

For the radiator.

Popular in things like global rally cross, because the cars are crashing into each other and it improves weight distribution.

That tiny air filter bothers me a bit though. At those kind of power levels the difference between that and nothing or a larger element would be measurable.

That's not a filter mate, THIS is a filter

jamal fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Feb 21, 2016

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

the gently caress is going on in the back? why are there air intakes on the rear windows?

Venting for the fuel cell it looks like

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
The workmanship on that X3(?) seems pretty janky. Everything in the back seems really poorly cobbled together, although it seems to work. Spare tire isn't mounted to the holder correctly (because the tire is bigger than it was designed for, maybe?), the extinguisher is way too small and not mounted very well, the jack handle is just hanging out on a couple hooks so it'll fall off when you crawl over something, and I'm not sure how well that cage will do if it's ever actually needed. Looks pretty janky where it's tied into the floor in the rear. I hope that fuel cell is tied down better than everything else is.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
The WTF inside my brain got louder with each picture in that X3 series

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I found something the lexus front end looks good on. :colbert:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Feel free to post a picture of it then :colbert:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I did. Even if it has a scion badge on it. :colbert:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Whot.. behind the Scion?

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Cakefool posted:

Feel free to post a picture of it then :colbert:

^^^ exactly..
That thing sucked as a Subaru. I can only imagine its worse as a lexus

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

My cars also have a canister for a shot of Mountain Dew. Looks like this guy needs a refill though.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

That's dope. Here's a Mercedes G63 6x6 doing it.

http://gfycat.com/CarefreeFrailKusimanse

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

So wide

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
:fap: :fap: :fap: :fap: :fap: :fap: :fap: :fap: :fap: :fap:

Just a render, but a good render.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Needs more hood, less trunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Cage posted:

:fap: :fap: :fap: :fap: :fap: :fap: :fap: :fap: :fap: :fap:

Just a render, but a good render.

holy poo poo this RULES. taper the rear end just a touch more.