Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SelenicMartian posted:

This is the best weapon.

I was completely disappointed that it doesn't do squat to The Burning Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I thought that it did? You had to use it a lot but it would work eventually

It definately worked on the Skull squad or whatever they were called

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You still get a radio message.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

WHAT? Ah, gently caress, and I wanted to try it out there.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Yes, it does work. It also takes 100 shots.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Portal was great for how short it was because its gimmicks required speed. Dumping all the furniture in the acid was fun. Portal 2 felt like the opposite.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Jamfrost posted:

Yes, it does work. It also takes 100 shots.

I think you're even told over the radio that "it isn't enough water but after enough shots it'll work.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

:mario: PLATFORMEBRUARY 2016 :mario:

1. Cargo Commander
2. Freedom Planet
3. Capsized
4. Knytt Underground
5. Rochard
6. NightSky
7. Canyon Capers
8. Intrusion 2
9. Mutant Mudds Deluxe
10. Teslagrad
11. Tiny Barbarian DX
12. Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken
13. Snapshot
14. Lunnye Devitsy
15. Wake
16. Cast of the Seven Godsends
17. Nihilumbra
18. Akane the Kunoichi
19. Chaos Domain
20. Gateways

21. 6180 the moon

It's easy to find no-effort platformers made from basic shapes, looking like a video game made by a five-year-old with refridgerator magnets. The danger here is that the challenges presented might have about as much thought put into them as the presentation. 6180 the moon might give that impression at first glance, but it turned out far more clever and engrossing than I expected.

You play the moon, on a quest to find its eternal buddy, the sun. This journey takes you across fifty levels divided into five regions of the solar system, broken up by adorable little cutscenes with other heavenly bodies. The game's gimmick is that the screen wraps around the top, so if you plunge off the bottom you'll drop back in above. That means no bottomless pits to worry about, but the numerous spikes are more than happy to take their place. Your jump sends you a full screen height and change so there's nowhere on the screen that's unreachable, giving you very pleasant freedom of movement.

Level gimmicks include spikes, moving platforms, breakaway blocks, spikes, switches and gates, spikes, and a few other not-spike features. Once you wrap your brain around wrapping around the screen the game goes quite smoothly, and you'll likely complete your sojourn to the sun in 30-40 minutes. This unlocks a new mode where you play through the levels in reverse, with gravity flipped, and this one little change blew my mind. The vast majority of the levels are completely unchanged, but become far move difficult because of their genius dual design. Playing through the first time was a subdued, relaxing experience, but playing through the second was a distinct pleasure.

The whole game will take you just over an hour to complete, and there are no additional modes or corner-case achievents to chase, so it'll all be over before you know it. But the clever puzzles are truly a delight, accompanied with an excellent piano soundtrack and the aforementioned cutscenes that just ooze charm. It's a bite-sized puzzle platformer, but you're sure to relish it more than a lot of larger offerings.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

i think that image host is broken on https

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

:dukedog:
God drat can the Steam queue try to get at least a little smarter please? I've already Xd every single stupid Naruto thing you've thrown at me including the first 18 movies and you just keep going.

Though I do like seeing which of my "friends" added stuff to their wishlist so I can laugh when like half my list shows up on every hentai game that pops up.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Is the best way to get Enemy Within at this point to buy the $10 complete edition even if I already own Xcom?

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
So, has anyone else noticed that games take an absurd amount of time to idle cards for lately? I know Steam changed it so the devs can set the drop rates, but it feels like every single game requires 6-8 hours to get all the drops now, which is just dumb.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Zombie Samurai, are you planning to try out Ultionus as well?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I tried the Talos Principle with high hopes but its one of those games that punishes trial and error experimentation by forcing you to go back to the beginning of a puzzle and redo all the easy stuff you've already figured out every time you screw up. Not fun.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Which part of TP involves that much trial and error?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

SelenicMartian posted:

Which part of TP involves that much trial and error?

The puzzles where you had to slalom around the roaming mines after messing with their timing is one of those, at least.

Generally, most puzzles are short enough that re-doing them isn't much work. (But gently caress that star in the center of the DLC world 2 where you have to set up things for 10 minutes then get one shot to fetch it)

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Macaluso posted:

Portal was good and Portal 2 was great sorry if you're triggred by baked goods

It's more the fans being the worst part of portal.

Christ were the months following the release of portal were worst with those guys spewing "Caek iz a lie!! Amirite?".

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Drakes posted:

It's more the fans being the worst part of portal.

Christ were the months following the release of portal were worst with those guys spewing "Caek iz a lie!! Amirite?".

Thankfully since it was a part of the Orange Box almost everybody played and enjoyed it at launch which meant that you had way less contrarian backlash than if it were an indie title that came out on its own and interest in it grew organically.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Yeah usually i'd say that's exaggeration but the Post Portal memes really were annoying.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Anytime I hear cake is a lie stuff I just wanna be a dick and go "oh so you didn't finish the game then?"

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Anytime people say that I tell them to return their meme card.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Freak Futanari posted:

So, has anyone else noticed that games take an absurd amount of time to idle cards for lately? I know Steam changed it so the devs can set the drop rates, but it feels like every single game requires 6-8 hours to get all the drops now, which is just dumb.
It's kind of stupid because I've beaten and 100%ed some games before I even get a single card drop from them.

Unbalanced
Sep 29, 2005

Harlock posted:

Is the best way to get Enemy Within at this point to buy the $10 complete edition even if I already own Xcom?

Enemy Within is $7.50 currently at GamersGate. It goes on sale a lot with $6.00 as it's historical low, but if you want to get it now that's your best bet.

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-XCOMEW/xcom-enemy-within

Unbalanced fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 21, 2016

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Saoshyant posted:

Holy poo poo, you don't own any of the Portal games, not even the first one. Clean up your desk and return your goon badge, you are fired.

Nah, I (mostly) enjoyed Portal 2 but it's not a genre I go out of my way to play. I wouldn't have it Valve didn't give it to me for free a few years ago :v:

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Portal actually owns and if you can't separate it from memes you are bad hth.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Memes are epic, and so is Portal.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Freak Futanari posted:

Memes are epic, and so is Portal.

You're behind the times, Freak. Memes are dank now.

Portal 2 went on a *little* longer than it should have and got a little messy, but is still a fantastic game, in every aspect.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

They should patch Portal again to update all the memes, like to "The dab is a lie" or something.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
They should rewrite Portal so that instead of the main character being mute or whatever, she just never talks because she's busy vaping (the vape is a lie, obviously)

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Bobby The Rookie posted:

They should patch Portal again to update all the memes, like to "The dab is a lie" or something.

The files for the game have a bunch of vintage 2007 memes in them.

Which kind of makes the Portal devs complaining about all the memes that spawned from the game kind of ironic.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Stan Taylor posted:

Portal actually owns and if you can't separate it from memes you are bad hth.

What people can't separate are their lovely opinions from the quality of a game. Portal might not be a game you like, but it's got enough good qualities and attention to detail that it's hard to argue that it's an objectively 'bad game'.

Leave it to goons to conflate the two, though. :v:

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

FirstAidKite posted:

Zombie Samurai, are you planning to try out Ultionus as well?

Nah, I managed to avoid all the bundles it was in, I guess. Isn't it supposed to be super misogynistic or something? Regardless, I don't think I could handle that incredibly 80s picture-frame UI. Never been a fan of playing my games through a porthole.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
It is an OK game. It is definitely going for the retro feel, possibly to excess. Kind of like how people feel about Wasteland 2. If you like that, you'll like it, if you don't, you'll hate it.

You can claim it has some kind of "message" but I decided to just interpret it as comedy and intentionally flimsy plot.

edit: the "plot" is basically that a dude says dumb sexist bullshit to the main character on space facebook or whatever and you go through several stages so you can kick him in the nuts

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 21, 2016

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Unbalanced posted:

Enemy Within is $7.50 currently at GamersGate. It goes on sale a lot with $6.00 as it's historical low, but if you want to get it now that's your best bet.

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-XCOMEW/xcom-enemy-within
Thanks, I appreciate it. Not ready to buy XCOM2 yet and I still haven't played EW.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

SelenicMartian posted:

This is the best weapon.

Thanks Boss! :patriot:

Springtime Goddess
Sep 2, 2006

oh no i put a stupid title text here when i registered in 2006 please how do i change it i am not good with computer
If I've finished and greatly enjoyed You Must Build a Boat, is it worth getting 10000000 or is it just an inferior version of the same game?

monny
Oct 20, 2008

dollar dollar bill, y'all

AbDomen posted:

If I've finished and greatly enjoyed You Must Build a Boat, is it worth getting 10000000 or is it just an inferior version of the same game?

I did exactly this and enjoyed them both. Some of the mechanics in 10000000 aren't as polished as in YMBAB, but it's still a fun game and different enough to be interesting :)

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

10m is more shallow compared to ymbab but it's definitely still worth a romp imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Recently a couple friends and I have really been getting into and enjoying local co-op Diablo III, I was wondering what other fun local co-op games you guys would recommend?

• Locked thread