Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Yeah, pretty similar! Those look even nicer because they have ankles. Mine are just open bottom like a hospital gown.
Another thing I've noticed on US baby clothes is buttons on the back of the neck. How does that make any sense for a creature laying on its back all day?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE

peanut posted:

Yeah, pretty similar! Those look even nicer because they have ankles. Mine are just open bottom like a hospital gown.
Another thing I've noticed on US baby clothes is buttons on the back of the neck. How does that make any sense for a creature laying on its back all day?

We are a nation that thinks it's a good idea to make tiny little overalls for babies, when overalls are miserable to get on and off for adults. Very little surprises me anymore.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Palisader posted:

We are a nation that thinks it's a good idea to make tiny little overalls for babies, when overalls are miserable to get on and off for adults. Very little surprises me anymore.

But they are so cute!

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

Funhilde posted:

But they are so cute!

Countdown to explosive poop in 3...2...1...

Avalinka
Nov 4, 2009

Hi_Bears posted:

Your water is more likely to break when you stand up after sitting down for a while. And it's likely not going to be a giant gush, so you probably won't damage any furniture. For me it happened when I stood up, and it soaked the crotch of my pants a little but that's it. I do recommend buying some Depends adult diapers - they were great for catching all the fluid while we made our way to the hospital, and they were useful in the first few days post partum for all the bleeding. The Depends Silhouette line was surprisingly comfortable.

On the other hand, mine broke explosively after I lay down on my mother's bed for a nap and all gushed out at once. It was pretty impressive and I bet she wished we'd thought of protecting the bed. (I'd been having non-painful contractions and every other woman in my family hadn't had their waters break naturally and had laboured painfully forever. Mine broke everywhere then she was out in 4 hours.)

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

Sockmuppet posted:

The "birth announced by sudden and unexpected gush of water"-scene from the movies is just a trope. It rarely happens like that.
You'll probably know you're in labour long before your water breaks.
Mine didn't break until I'd been in proper semi-undressed lying in a hospital bed-labour for a while.

I was two weeks early with no prior labor signs when mine broke. I was just sitting watching tv and woosh. It just got my underwear and pants wet.

quote:

Edit: Definitely prepare something sensible to sit on for the ride to the hospital, but you don't need to cover all your furniture in plastic sheets the weeks before your due date.

I agree on these points. It's a cup or so of water, not a gallon.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

My water broke in the wee hours of the morning, before labor, while I was in bed asleep. I vaguely recall feeling a painful contraction that woke me up, and feeling weirdly wet. I was able to get up and get to the bathroom without getting much more than the crotch of my pajama pants wet, though. I put in a regular pad after that and it was perfectly adequate for the remaining bits that leaked over the rest of the day when labor started.

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
Mine considerately broke when I woke up in the morning, 8:30am, 5 days past my due date, and went to pee. After a few minutes I thought, "Hmm. I've been peeing a long time but it doesn't feel like I'm peeing..." then the light dawned. Didn't have him till 16 hrs later and had a fever of 105 most of labor that they couldn't get down. Do not recommend. No pain thanks to the epidural, but it's all like a fever dream to me.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Hello all, I'd better introduce myself. I'm Rondette, a 36 year old woman who just found out this morning via a pee stick that I am 3-4 weeks pregnant with my first baby. I am a little overwhelmed and shocked, as we have only been trying since the new year and I had it in my head that it wouldn't happen because of my age. And I was kinda of the 'whatever happens will be cool, if I can't get pregmo I'll just collect cats' mindset. My partner actually figured it out before I did.

I'm excited and scared and I know it is early days still, and there is chances of it all going tits up. I just needed to tell someone and rando people off the internet will do before the 10 week mark. Is that the usual time to go public? God l really wasn't expecting it to happen so quickly. I am in such a wierd place right now coz I honestly didn't think it would happen so soon, but I am looking forward to the adventure. My partner is amazingly supportive and excited too.

I guess I'll be hanging around this thread a lot now!

Rondette fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Mar 4, 2016

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
Congratulations! I was in the same boat, everyone told us that "Oh, it can take a loooong time", but I had one period after going off the pill, and then I was pregnant (which screwed up our honeymoon to no end, I spent three weeks being queasy and unable to eat or drink delicious things in various gorgeous places across Britain and France). We were completely bowled over, too, we thought it'd take a lot longer (see aforementioned honeymoon).

You can tell people whenever you're comfortable. Waiting 12 weeks to make it public is common because the risk of miscarriage significantly decreases after the 12 week mark, so a good rule of thumb before then is to share the news with people you'd want to know about a miscarriage. We told our parents, siblings and closest friends as soon as we were certain that yes, it's real, there's a baby in there, but everyone else had to wait untill the 12 weeks had passed, because if something had gone wrong, I wouldn't have wanted the world to know about it, but I'd definitely want my mother and best friend to know and care for me.

Congratulations again, and good luck! I hope everything is smooth sailing for you :)

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That's great advice, thanks. I'm leery of telling my mum mainly cause when my sister got pregnant again my mum got so excited and she told everyone and forced my sister's hand before the 10 week mark. She then had a miscarriage which was tough and very sad after we had all celebrated. She had another kid after that but was much more quiet about it until later in the pregnancy. I'm seeing her and the family tomorrow so will discuss with SO tonight how, when and if to go about it. I'm booking a doctor's appointment today to make it all official. I still can't quite belive it. WTF

nissu
Apr 29, 2014
Congrats on the positive test! We actually waited until week 14 until we told both of our parents, but the usual time to wait is the aforementioned 12 week mark.

We have a growth spurt at the moment and my ribs are sore 24/7 and I think my pelvis is going to explode any minute now. And I still have eight weeks to go :eek:

When did you buy nursing bras? My cup size is still the same as before, so it feels silly to go buying bras now.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

nissu posted:

When did you buy nursing bras? My cup size is still the same as before, so it feels silly to go buying bras now.

I just bought a couple in two different sizes, one that fit at the time and one size up (H&M has some very simple and relatively cheap ones that come in sets of two) at the very end of my pregnancy. Don't stock up on any one size before you see how your boobs turn out (protip - they're gonna be bigger), the stores will still be there after you give birth.

(Fun fact I learned about nursing: For the first couple of months, hearing any baby cry would turn me into a milk fountain. I first discovered this in a changing room when I was trying on nursing bras, and a random baby belonging to someone else started crying out in the store somewhere. Luckily the bra I was trying on at the time was a good fit, since, well, I had to buy it after that.)

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

I've pretty much been living in these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YJQW3HE
Wore them when pregnant and even more so now for nursing. They're soft and comfortable for sleeping in, and easy to pull aside to nurse (I find that easier than the bras with clasps). They're not padded but I just use nursing pads since I leak all the time. They're stretchy so can accommodate changing boob sizes.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Hi_Bears posted:

I've pretty much been living in these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YJQW3HE
Wore them when pregnant and even more so now for nursing. They're soft and comfortable for sleeping in, and easy to pull aside to nurse (I find that easier than the bras with clasps). They're not padded but I just use nursing pads since I leak all the time. They're stretchy so can accommodate changing boob sizes.

Oh my god thank you. (orders 10)

cailleask
May 6, 2007

I actually told people pretty soon. I got pregnant the first time really fast and had only told my best friends. I miscarried at six weeks, and in retrospect would have liked to have had my family's support instead of hiding the whole thing.

I got pregnant again on my next cycle and I think I told my mom at six weeks, after getting confirmation at the doctor. It was probably for the best because I was sick as a goddamn dog and there was no hiding it, and I could count on having my mom to help me through it.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Yeah I hate the whole 'pretend to not be pregnant' thing so I told everyone who I had everyday contact with on a personal level (not coworkers) and my immediate family when I found out. Then everyone else that I have somewhat regular contact with found out the first time I spoke to them after 13 weeks. We're not doing a facebook announcement or anything for acquaintances, it's just not our style.

I did make sure everyone I told were people that I would be comfortable with their reaction or controlling their reaction around me if I did miscarry.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Rurutia posted:

I did make sure everyone I told were people that I would be comfortable with their reaction or controlling their reaction around me if I did miscarry.

I think this is the best advice to go on. I live about 120 miles away from my close family (a longish distance in the UK) so I don't SEE them very often, I think I'll tell my sister as I trust her to keep it on the DL. They all know we are trying so it won't be a massive surprise and quite honestly and brutally, I think my sister did the heavy lifting when it came to the pregnancy stuff, I expect my mum won't be QUITE as excited. I mean, she will be, but it's not the novelty it was when sis did it. Quite frankly, I'm glad of that.

edit- probably the experience with my sister's miscarriage would stop mum from blabbing everywhere too, I think she learned a lesson there. (btw I love my mum, she's great- I'm not painting her in too positive a light here!)

Rondette fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 4, 2016

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

Hi_Bears posted:

Do you have any sizing suggestions for these? I'm kind of large chested, so I usually try bras before I buy them, but my current bras are causing me nothing but pain.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

I'm currently a 36D and the large fits comfortably. I think they run on the small side so I would order up. If you have Amazon prime this item does have free returns so you can try a few different sizes!

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

I'm a G :( but I desperately need a bra I can sleep in, so I'll try the extra large.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
We went and got some new bras for me today that aren't wired, I got measured and was shocked that I am ATM a 36DD!!! I thought I was a 38C. Although, sizes do seem to vary where you go, but it's pretty mad they're going to get bigger. I like the look of those bras posted, I might have to get some....

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
Well, gently caress. gently caress how long it takes to get amnio results back.

Go in for the anatomical ultrasound and it's the boy we both were hoping for. Who very likely has some rare genetic disorder (sub 20th percentile in everything but head size, dandy walker malformation and a septal wall defect. There's a few things it could be, but none of them are good)

I wanted CVS, but my OB said it wasn't necessary cause even though my husband is older, being younger than 35 my OB said not to. Instead I find out now, 20 weeks along. And now we have to wait over a week to get the results and find out what exactly is wrong.

\/\/ I don't know exactly what they're testing. It was described as a karotype on steroids that covers extra/missing chromosomes, as well as additions and deletions.

And i got to find out that the state legislature just passed a bill outlawing abortions past 20 weeks. Even if the health of the mother is at stake. Which is hosed up, since...the 20 week mark is the earliest they'll schedule the anatomy ultrasound with either of the hospital systems in the state. So if something did show up, if the governor signs off on it, women here are going to be stuck carrying a child to term that they know full well they are unprepared and unable to deal with. In my case, if it does come back abnormal, the genetic counselor was pushing us to have a plan in place for trisomy 18. Being forced to carry a child to term who is unlikely to live to age 5 is just cruel.

Dr Jankenstein fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 10, 2016

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
I got mine back in four business days. It was a sex chromosomal disorder test. I'm not sure if the specific test has anything to do with how long it takes though.

I'm 20 weeks tomorrow so we're on the same timeline, due July 29th.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
Right now, having spoken to my sister and a few others that had similar US findings, I think the MFM doc I saw was just a dick.

Fetal echo showed no issues with septal defect (And if there is, it's so small as to prevent issues unless our boy tries to become an Olympic athlete) and the MFM guy told me the cardiologist had to be wrong.

The dandy walker malformation can't even be confirmed without an MRI, and outside of small long bones and hard to find a nasal bone (which since the kid was on his head for the US could be a bad angle) points towards a 1:250 odds of chromosomal abnormalities rather than just regular issues that can be treated. No signs of kidney probs, no EIF, no bright spots in abdomen, no clino/polydactylly...

I woulda had the amnio anyway, he he didn't have to pitch it as "you'll have maybe a week to make up your mind, so plan on something being wrong.

Annio will tell for sure.

More pissed than the doc musta hit a muscle down to my groin than anything. Felt great before amnio, doc tells me ok to resume activities same day. Get home from wall Mart later and now can barely walk I'm so sore. Apparently it's best to wait 24 hours before heavY lifting.

Do know for my follow ups I'm asking for one of the other docs. The worst thing is my husband and I had the talk before we even had a positive pee test. And its always boiled down to the quality of life. Doc seemed like he wanted us to be all or nothing. (Sorry that there's a huge difference between achondroplasia and cri du chat. One is something we can handle. One is not)

SuzieMcAwesome
Jul 27, 2011

A lady should be two things, Classy and fabulous. Unfortunately, you my dear are neither.

nissu posted:

And I still have eight weeks to go :eek:

I am 32 weeks and I have been wearing a nursing bra for a while now just because it is super comfortable!
I picked mine up from Zulily

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010
Is almost 10 weeks too early for Chloasma to start showing up? The info book my OB gave me lists it as a second trimester thing, but I've got some pretty badass blotches on my eyelids.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

ArmadilloConspiracy posted:

Is almost 10 weeks too early for Chloasma to start showing up? The info book my OB gave me lists it as a second trimester thing, but I've got some pretty badass blotches on my eyelids.

Not necessarily, you're far enough along that the placenta is making plenty of progesterone, which is suspected to be the causative agent.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

Had my 6 week postpartum check-up and everything looks good... now no excuse not to exercise and lose the last 15 pounds (well, except that baby that requires all my time and attention...)

I asked my doctor to prescribe some prenatal vitamins thinking it would be easier, but they are more expensive than over the counter and look like gigantic horse pills. Lesson learned.

Also trying the progesterin-only mini pill for birth control. Hopefully no weird side effects and won't interfere with breastfeeding.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Hi_Bears posted:

I asked my doctor to prescribe some prenatal vitamins thinking it would be easier, but they are more expensive than over the counter and look like gigantic horse pills. Lesson learned.

:what: Horse pills sure, but they should be $0 in the USA if you have a ACA approved plan. (You do unless you have a grandfathered plan.) I looked through your history in this thread and am just going to assume you're in the USA.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

Is there such a thing as the baby moving too much? My daughter wasn't beating me up like this until well into that last month.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
I don't think so. I remember thinking the same thing. My daughter rarely stopped moving around in there from early on. I suppose at almost 1 year old, she still never stops. Even in her sleep. You might have a particularly active one!

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

My son basically never quit moving in utero. We could feel him from the outside at 18-19 weeks.

He still never quits moving and is an awesome almost three year old

sheri fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 19, 2016

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
As soon as my baby was big enough to wedge her feet up under my ribs and start kicking, that's what she did. She's almost two and a half now and the wriggling and squirming still hasn't stopped.. and probably never will. :)

New Weave Wendy
Mar 11, 2007
My daughter was super active in utero too. Always has been, even at 2.5 now, she just loves to move.

I just had an anatomy scan for #2 yesterday. The tech couldn't get a clear picture of the spine at first because baby was just content to chill in the same position for most of the scan, like s/he was at my 12 week scan. I had to lay on each side, then get up and move around and try again to see if baby would move so they could get a good picture. Contrast that with my daughter who I distinctly remember had a hard time staying still long enough at that scan to get good pictures. Complete anecdata, but it will be interesting to see if this baby has a similar temperament outside the womb.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

Thanks all. Yeah, this one was really hard to scan because he was constantly squirming around. Welp, there goes sleeping for the next 18 years!

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Hi everyone! I recently got a positive pregnancy test (aaaaaa) and I'm very happy about it, but I have a weird work situation that I'm trying to figure out.

So I work in a hospital laboratory, and we perform ABO/RH testing, which is usually done for the first time around week 8/your initial appointment. The problem is, it's a small enough volume of testing that my coworkers will definitely notice my sample going through attached to the clinic location, and I would essentially be sharing that I am pregnant WAY earlier than I would like to. I think I would like to move my prenatal care to the hospital I work at so I don't have to take much time off for the roughly one billion appointments that happen later in the pregnancy (also it's a super good hospital), but I don't want to inadvertently disclose my health situation before I want to.

I am currently with an OBGYN at a different hospital, and she is nice, but the clinic hours are pretty bad for my work schedule. I'd like to have my earned time available when I actually have a baby, not use it all up on traveling to appointments.

Has anyone here switched OBGYN practices during their pregnancy? Do you feel like it messed up your continuity of care? Do the healthcare workers (or anyone else for that matter) in here have any tips on dealing with their nosy coworkers?

(Also I think it was this thread, but Trader Joe's prenatal vitamins == Rainbow Light Prenatal Ones)

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009
Congrats BadSamaritan! I changed doctors around 12 weeks into my pregnancy. I met with one doctor at 8 and 10 weeks, and decided I didn't like her and transferred to another doctor at another practice. It did cause some hiccups. Largely, my first doctor had already scheduled my first trimester screening at a hospital that my second doctor didn't usually work with. There was miscommunication between my second doctor and the hospital that delayed my receiving the results from that screening. It didn't compromise my healthcare in any way, but it was a headache, and took a bunch of phone calls to straighten out.

If I were you, I would use the OB-GYN at your hospital, and then just go elsewhere, like a Quest Diagnostics lab, to have the blood work done. As I recall, I only had two blood draws during the first trimester, so it shouldn't be a huge time burden.

Also, if you are in the United States, and your doctor writes you a prescription for pre-natal vitamins, you can get them for free under Obamacare!

lady flash
Dec 26, 2007
keeper of the speed force
I've never switched docs but you should be able to get an order for the lab tests and go elsewhere. A little less convenient but I'm sure it happens to other patients too if their insurance doesn't cover your inhouse lab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

H110Hawk posted:

:what: Horse pills sure, but they should be $0 in the USA if you have a ACA approved plan. (You do unless you have a grandfathered plan.) I looked through your history in this thread and am just going to assume you're in the USA.

I am in the US with pretty good insurance but they were $20 a month... maybe my doctor put in for a brand name and generics are free?