Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

*rubs at small scar on forhead*

it good game guys it good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cams
Mar 28, 2003

NecroMonster posted:

*rubs at small scar on forhead*

it good game guys it good
oh thank god you're still posting

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

Jmcrofts posted:

Gonna link my guides for the new thread:

General tips for getting better:
How to Practice Hit Confirming
How to Practice Buffering
How to Improve Your Reactions Using Training Mode
Easy but powerful option select

Guides for fighting against specific characters:
R. Mika
Nash
Rashid

More coming soon!

I've been following the thread for a while but I just wanted to say thanks for these. I'm sure it all seems vey obvious to most people but it's really helping me out and my friends are noticing the difference in my play.

Feels Good Man

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGfe1vKKU8I

Pomp fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 22, 2016

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
I gave up on ranked matches today. 11 matches. 3 losses, 2 wins, 6 disconnects when I was about to win or right after I had won.

What's the loving point, man?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

if you were about to win, and the other guy disconnects, you still won. who gives a poo poo if some dumb number goes up.

Carew
Jun 22, 2006
fight money.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

NecroMonster posted:

if you were about to win, and the other guy disconnects, you still won. who gives a poo poo if some dumb number goes up.

I do.

On as EasternSasquatch. Someone come do fights with me.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Benson Cunningham posted:

I gave up on ranked matches today. 11 matches. 3 losses, 2 wins, 6 disconnects when I was about to win or right after I had won.

What's the loving point, man?

It's old tech they've implemented before, so it's safe to assume they're at least aware it's a thing.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Agoat posted:

With the new rollback netcode, this is one of the best online systems in a fighting game to date.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Can I get some experienced player feedback on gootecks "how to hold an arcadestick" tutorial? Starting around 8 minutes he goes over the right hand and I'd like a little feedback on how you all do it. Mainly he wants single buttons to be pressed with the pointer and middle finger together, and lp/lk mp/lk hp/hk buttons pushed together with 2 fingers rather than a thumb, or even across 1 finger.

Coming into SF5 I always assumed it would be, keep your fingers over each button ready to push at any moment, with your thumb ready to light kick.

(Oh btw I bought a Hori RAP4 Kai, my first stick :awesome:)

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I piano my buttons. But then again, I'm not a good player. I do sometimes cross fingers for K/P presses for throws and V-Trigger.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

flakeloaf posted:

It's old tech they've implemented before, so it's safe to assume they're at least aware it's a thing.

I've quit three games so far. Two because I let myself get angry, 1 because it was against a guy who had previous DC'd when I won. Out of probably 200.

Benson Cunningham fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 22, 2016

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Press the buttons and hold the stick however you want, however is most comfortable, and whatever lets you do all the things you need to do well.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nitramster posted:

Can I get some experienced player feedback on gootecks "how to hold an arcadestick" tutorial? Starting around 8 minutes he goes over the right hand and I'd like a little feedback on how you all do it. Mainly he wants single buttons to be pressed with the pointer and middle finger together, and lp/lk mp/lk hp/hk buttons pushed together with 2 fingers rather than a thumb, or even across 1 finger.

Coming into SF5 I always assumed it would be, keep your fingers over each button ready to push at any moment, with your thumb ready to light kick.

press your buttons however feels comfortable to you

edit:also hold your stick however feels comfortable just don't loving form a fist around and it, move it with your wrists and go ham on the poor little thing

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Nitramster posted:

It doesn't really matter. I think the "pointer and middle finger" press is because he eventually wants to teach you to double-tap, but that's not important in this game. Don't worry too much about bad habits with how you use the stick, you'll continually adapt over time.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Ratios and Tendency posted:

The high level guys are still using throw a lot so what's the problem exactly?

You're assuming goons aren't high level?

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Everybody, even top Japanese players, hold the stick in different ways. Lots of old JP players hold it like Daigo does, lots of old US players have really bad form for Japanese sticks (Justin) because they played on terrible American parts. I started out trying to emulate the Daigo Grip (underhanded with shaft between ring and pinky) and ended up shifting the stick over between middle and ring and wrapping around because it was most comfortable for me and let me do things easier that I was having trouble with.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

teagone posted:

You're assuming goons aren't high level?

only in anime

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

you are thinking "high functioning" goons are high functioning

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

Pomp posted:

only in anime

koozebanian, anonspore, and bebop are all respectable high level players

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Went to a tournament in Toronto today. Considering it was my first tournament I think 2-2 is a pretty great starting point.

Coming back and playing online though it's crazy how slow it feels compared to when I was playing there in person. Like before going I thought my connections and stuff were pretty smooth, but after playing for 5 hours head to head with other people it's way way different. Even with the new netcode it seems like it does leave something to be desired for sure.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

General Morden posted:

koozebanian, anonspore, and bebop are all respectable high level players

Respectable in my book is EVO champ. If you're not an EVO champ, you're a scrub.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

your button hand can hunt and peck with two fingers if you are super precise and know how to double tap but otherwise it doesn't make sense to give up the advantage that stick has over pad of letting you use your whole hand to hit buttons. you have four fingers and four rows of buttons and likely have great dexterity with a keyboard so its only natural that you would want to keep your hand stationary and use that muscle memory. you can even approximate double tapping by doubling your button presses where appropriate. its no big deal.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

Booyah- posted:

It doesn't really matter. I think the "pointer and middle finger" press is because he eventually wants to teach you to double-tap, but that's not important in this game.

Ah I see.

As far as stick holding goes I tried out motions for about 5 minutes with everything and was nailing fb's and dp's pretty solid with the stick between ring and middle so I guess I'm falling in with the average on that point. I was mostly asking about the right hand positioning.

I've also noticed it's a lot easier to accidentally hit buttons on this RAP's Kuro buttons than the Sanwas on the Madcatz. There's like no pressure for the first bit of the button depress and the trigger is within that period, all the rest just seems to be the cushioning and click, but the actual move happens before that.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

teagone posted:

Respectable in my book is EVO champ. If you're not an EVO champ, you're a scrub.

i agree that kbr is a respectable person

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
TheTimelyHoward is a legit good SF player

i've seen him play against the japanese pros in SF4

he also played gamerbee

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Ratios and Tendency posted:

The high level guys are still using throw a lot so what's the problem exactly?

Well, there are different uses for throws. Dashup throw in this game is a legit tactic and throw as a mixup on wakeup works fine still. You see a lot less throws to open up someone tho, because they're slower and short ranged. They're not USELESS, you still have to be aware of that threat, but it makes the pressure game weaker overall, especially when people figure out matchups. Also throw tech now is cr.LP or whatever your 3f normal is.

I'm poo poo at fighting games, but I'm okay at looking at stuff and puzzling out how they would work in a real scenario, I think. It's just that my reactions are that of an old man with ADHD and I have real bad anxiety sometimes, hehe, knowing all the stupid minute details don't serve well when I just blank out and eat every random thing the other guy does.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

teagone posted:

Tatsunoko vs. Capcom — Top 8 posted:

1. EG.Martin "Marn" Phan (Alex, Zero)

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
What was their excuse for not releasing on XBox One? The Japanese market? I rage-uninstalled MKX after the last invasion boss so I need a fighter that's balanced and not a DLC factory.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Shumagorath posted:

What was their excuse for not releasing on XBox One? The Japanese market? I rage-uninstalled MKX after the last invasion boss so I need a fighter that's balanced and not a DLC factory.

sony paid for the game to be made

the game's whole model is dlc seasons of new characters so maybe wait for guilty gear or tekken7 later this year.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

sony was a major funder of this game because capcom is big huge dumb idiots with money

Chacmool
Apr 12, 2007

I hate asking here but does anyone have looping audio of Karin's Ahohohohohho!

Pomp posted:

i agree that kbr is a respectable person

Are you saying KBR isn't a decent dude? I never met the guy but he seems ok...

Chacmool fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Feb 22, 2016

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Chacmool posted:

I hate asking here but does anyone have looping audio of Karin's Ahohohohohho!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08ZbH_FBofA

i googled karin laugh loop at it was there.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I was following the old thread till it exploded right before launch. Why are dmc gifs being posted?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Chakan posted:

I was following the old thread till it exploded right before launch. Why are dmc gifs being posted?

when people get into a bad mood and argue about the game being good or not dante arrives to lighten the mood.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

General Morden posted:

TheTimelyHoward is a legit good SF player

i've seen him play against the japanese pros in SF4

he also played gamerbee

I am also good

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Baal posted:

I am also good

(love you baal)

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm really good at psychic tragedy assault

Because people assume I am smarter than I actually am and that's their first mistake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chacmool
Apr 12, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

i googled karin laugh loop at it was there.

Hahaha thanks man I kept getting some anime results.