Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also Michael Ross and Ryan Gootecks are playing SFV with Combofiend Peter this week and to start off SFV mike hits 4 million buttons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEdyafRw9xk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

its a really funny episode. not as funny as the smug ones last month but that's unfair

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

smug is fantastic in everything

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Baal posted:

Also Michael Ross and Ryan Gootecks are playing SFV with Combofiend Peter this week and to start off SFV mike hits 4 million buttons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEdyafRw9xk

Oh poo poo, look at them PRODUCTION VALUES.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dias posted:

Oh poo poo, look at them PRODUCTION VALUES.

mid episode ads paying off

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Pomp posted:

i agree that kbr is a respectable person

Marvel EVO champs are exempt from any form of respect. They don't count.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

teagone posted:

i agree justin wong is a poo poo player

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

teagone posted:

Daigo is a drunk man that hates fighting games, Louffy is French, Infiltration hosts dangerous masked individuals on his house, Xian hosts Zhii on his house and Momochi...I got nothing.

Chacmool
Apr 12, 2007

"you're the rear end guy"

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dias posted:

Daigo is a drunk man that hates fighting games, Louffy is French, Infiltration hosts dangerous masked individuals on his house, Xian hosts Zhii on his house and Momochi...I got nothing.

Momochi is named after a naruto character, bam

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Dias posted:

Well, there are different uses for throws. Dashup throw in this game is a legit tactic and throw as a mixup on wakeup works fine still. You see a lot less throws to open up someone tho, because they're slower and short ranged. They're not USELESS, you still have to be aware of that threat, but it makes the pressure game weaker overall, especially when people figure out matchups. Also throw tech now is cr.LP or whatever your 3f normal is.

I'm poo poo at fighting games, but I'm okay at looking at stuff and puzzling out how they would work in a real scenario, I think. It's just that my reactions are that of an old man with ADHD and I have real bad anxiety sometimes, hehe, knowing all the stupid minute details don't serve well when I just blank out and eat every random thing the other guy does.

I've had no luck with dashup throws. I get a good amount of throws in just doing them randomly here and there, but if I dash I generally get kicked or something. Speaking of grabs, I'm pretty rarely getting Laura or Mika's command grabs in, best time is after I block a Cammy move so far.

Just played 50 matches, this game touches me in my heart, it's special. It's a beautiful game.

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

ASK ME WHAT MAKES ME THINK I'M SO FUNKY

General Morden posted:

TheTimelyHoward is a legit good SF player

i've seen him play against the japanese pros in SF4

he also played gamerbee

thank you for the respect my brother

now let me use my newfound legitimacy to explain why the best street fighter game is not sf4 or sfv but actually street fighter ex 2 plus

1)

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Heavy Metal posted:

I've had no luck with dashup throws. I get a good amount of throws in just doing them randomly here and there, but if I dash I generally get kicked or something. Speaking of grabs, I'm pretty rarely getting Laura or Mika's command grabs in, best time is after I block a Cammy move so far.

You have to make people stop pressing buttons first, people love to press buttons online because it's online gently caress i hate playing ranked with the characters i tend to pick

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Dias posted:

You have to make people stop pressing buttons first, people love to press buttons online because it's online gently caress i hate playing ranked with the characters i tend to pick

How do I do that?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

The Timely Howard posted:

the best street fighter game is not sf4 or sfv but actually street fighter ex 2 plus

1)
Doctrine Dark.

"explosion..."

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You punch them in the face until they stop doing it or you make them eat poo poo for pressing too many buttons

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug

Heavy Metal posted:

How do I do that?

hatefuck them with your crushcounter whiff punish button

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I just do st.HP, then some more st.HP.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That does sound like a good idea, I just don't know if it'll lead to successful throws. But hey punch/kicks in the face are good too.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Ordered some parts.

Not sure whether I'll completely switch to stick as my main controller, but I definitely want to own a standard fightstick so I'm not completely worthless with them.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

is that a hitbox made from a portable drill case under there? that's pretty smart

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Heavy Metal posted:

That does sound like a good idea, I just don't know if it'll lead to successful throws. But hey punch/kicks in the face are good too.

It absolutely does. Either the player will be conditioned to not do it and throws will work more often, or they'll never learn and you're get crush counters for days.

On ranked it might not work that well, but it certainly does in sets longer than one game.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lhet posted:

Ordered some parts.

Not sure whether I'll completely switch to stick as my main controller, but I definitely want to own a standard fightstick so I'm not completely worthless with them.

god drat i love poverty sticks

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Real hurthling! posted:

is that a hitbox made from a portable drill case under there? that's pretty smart

It's actually a cheap pistol case. Basically the cheapest setup possible using the best arcade components.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

fchamp just handed me my first sf5 double perfect.

that was fun. seriously i just came home from work why was that my first match

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/HelloKittyRicky/status/701545163882000384

Can anyone explain to this dank noob what that means?

I've also noticed that the Chuns I've seen (Ricki, Nuki, some replays from high-level ranked) never seem to use the SBK BnB. The only time non-EX SBK seems to come out is when they are in Renkiko

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

fozzy fosbourne posted:

https://twitter.com/HelloKittyRicky/status/701545163882000384

Can anyone explain to this dank noob what that means?

I've also noticed that the Chuns I've seen (Ricki, Nuki, some replays from high-level ranked) never seem to use the SBK BnB. The only time non-EX SBK seems to come out is when they are in Renkiko

you have to be in throw range for the whole combo connect work, and if they block you're out of range for frame traps after st.mp

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Also the original tweet was about getting EX SBK from cr.mk instead of EX legs on block. EX legs is safe so you can just kind of throw it out and hope your cr.mk hit but if you have charge and overthrow your motion and go to upforward, you get EX SBK.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Thanks

Another one:
https://twitter.com/HelloKittyRicky/status/701626742004273152

What does 'jailing' mean?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

assume it's just some sort of slang based on the meaning of the word used unless that makes no sense

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
synonyms: imprison, put in prison, send to prison, incarcerate, lock up, put away, intern, detain, hold (prisoner/captive), put into detention, put behind bars, put inside

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Jail is a Tekken term for a string that once you block the first move you can't do anything inbetween it and the second. In this case they mean when Sim cancels b+MK into yoga flame, it's a true blockstring and you can't do anything like a super or reversal inbetween.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

aka a block string

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
A week since release and I've basically only put in my 25 minutes of practice a day with only a few local matches to show for it. That said, I'm trying to make the most of what practice I get, so shoutouts to guys like jmcrofts and others for their little tutorials. :shobon:

F2B
Feb 13, 2003
It's a good thing user interface isn't what makes a fighting game good. Right now the UI won't allow to me click or focus the OK button at the intro box for maintenance time.
I got stuck in a guide tutorial but managed to roll my face around the keyboard sufficiently to break it out of that one.

I say better than 4. Because 4 was so awesome with all it's risk-averse play styles and being about forcing the opponent to make mistakes rather than actually playing the game well in your own right.
Fight-by-the-numbers / "Street Fighter Hero" with all its sing-along baked-in combos made it felt like you were just getting spoon fed a game that what once was based on improvisational fighting styles as much as it was about winning an actual game. It's better than 4 broke.

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011
I wonder if the huge amount of negative user reviews and press are gonna gently caress this game. Will we get a season 2 or will Capcom end up just making Monster Hunter and HD remakes?

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

croutonZA posted:

I wonder if the huge amount of negative user reviews and press are gonna gently caress this game. Will we get a season 2 or will Capcom end up just making Monster Hunter and HD remakes?

It's Street Fighter. Bad publicity can only hurt it so much.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip
Almost everything in the OP is a lie fwiw

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

F2B posted:

Fight-by-the-numbers / "Street Fighter Hero" with all its sing-along baked-in combos made it felt like you were just getting spoon fed a game that what once was based on improvisational fighting styles as much as it was about winning an actual game. It's better than 4 broke.

i understand these words but not how they apply to SFV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

F2B posted:

It's a good thing user interface isn't what makes a fighting game good. Right now the UI won't allow to me click or focus the OK button at the intro box for maintenance time.
I got stuck in a guide tutorial but managed to roll my face around the keyboard sufficiently to break it out of that one.

I say better than 4. Because 4 was so awesome with all it's risk-averse play styles and being about forcing the opponent to make mistakes rather than actually playing the game well in your own right.

Thanks to this post I now know that forcing the opponent to make mistakes is not actually playing the game well

Thank you goon sir for this revelation