Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

fritz posted:

EDF! EDF!

I'm more of a fan of EDF!! EDF!! myself

but I like to throw in an EDF!!! EDF!!! or two to keep it fresh from time to time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Needs More Jazz posted:

So I'm on Mission 45, the first one with the Deroys, and I'm getting wrecked. Even on Normal. I'm playing Air Raider, and I can usually make it to the last wave before getting overwhelmed. Is there some strategy I'm loving up, or is this one of those "Suck it up and switch to a different class/farm more armor" situations?

With Deroys you never want them to be close to you otherwise they're going to be slicing away your Armour with their rapid fire lasers on their legs. It seems like a DPS race as the waves appear to be regular so you want to be have near zero remaining on the current wave. The wide roads that you start on and heading on to the right are perfect for any tracked weapons you pack with Air Raiders, allowing you to continue moving past Deroy's plasma bombardment while concentrating fire on the center core. I'd also give Turrets a chance as there's a problematic drop behind your starting point in the middle of dense buildings as well as the really close drop to the close to the right. If you have long range Limpets of respectable power you might want to try that too.

Always be moving if they're closing on your position, concentrate fire on the closest as that one is the most dangerous.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Pijeus posted:

Well you weren't wrong, got a level 10 rocket launcher that fires 4 shots at once (cascade 1) and I think I'm in love.
Just wait until you get a Volcano B-10. It's higher level, but it fires ten rockets on auto-fire, and that's not even the highest ranked version if I remember rightly. :unsmigghh:

I found a Stringer J2. It's a sniper rifle that penetrates enemies. It's pretty much useless on anything but easy because it's a single shot, and takes a age to reload, but it is so much fun. Exploding a conga line of Hectors in one shot, or blasting a hole in a swarm is so loving satisfying.

Wish they'd done a re-balance about the sheer amount of farming you need to do though, even if you've got the DLC. I know it's not hard, especially with the splitscreen,, but would it have killed them to re-colour some armour boxes and make them worth more on higher difficulties. or made any health picked up at max worth extra armour or something similar so it doesn't take so disgustingly long? :argh: You're already gated by the weapon drop system anyway.

Seeing stuff like Wing Divers with 4k armour just makes me wince about how much time that must've taken, even if it was spent with rubber bands around controller triggers or just sitting NPCs opposite a hive spawn.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Geokinesis posted:

Does edf 4.1 work with shareplay?

Yes, yes it does.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Agreed on the armor woes. I'm to the point where I need to play a new class or farm armor and...new class it is. Higher armor values per drop based on difficulty would be perfect, I think. Weapons are not even really anywhere near as major of a concern, as once you find a mission you can take "sooner than you should" you can just keep ranking up. Or get someone online to run you through Golden Darkness a couple times.

Speaking of which, I could use a couple Golden Darkness runs for my hardly-played-at-all Fencer, if anyone's feeling generous. Wouldn't hurt my Ranger any either. I can...probably? return the favor for you with my Wing Diver, although maybe we need a third or fourth to make sure. I'm in the groups, theyear199X, message me if you wanna set up some time to try this week.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Needs More Jazz posted:

So I'm on Mission 45, the first one with the Deroys, and I'm getting wrecked. Even on Normal. I'm playing Air Raider, and I can usually make it to the last wave before getting overwhelmed. Is there some strategy I'm loving up, or is this one of those "Suck it up and switch to a different class/farm more armor" situations?

What vehicle are you using? I like using railguns on them since it makes them trivial. Just bring a power/guard post and you're good to go.

Marogareh fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 16, 2016

Needs More Jazz
Nov 4, 2009

Sage Grimm posted:

Always be moving if they're closing on your position, concentrate fire on the closest as that one is the most dangerous.

Marogareh posted:

What vehicle are you using? I like using railguns on them since it makes them trivial. Just bring a power/guard post and you're good to go.

Thanks for the advice. Didn't really focus on staying mobile, and figured I'd bring the Vegalta since... well... giant robot fight. I'll give it another go with these tips in mind. Worse case, I farm a little to get up to speed.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Needs More Jazz posted:

Thanks for the advice. Didn't really focus on staying mobile, and figured I'd bring the Vegalta since... well... giant robot fight. I'll give it another go with these tips in mind. Worse case, I farm a little to get up to speed.

Save your giant robot fighting for the bipedal robots.

If you aren't punching Argos to death you need to do that.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
The first DLC mission 17 has nests of spawning silver spiders if it hasn't been mentioned yet. Also get a boatload of wing diver ai to help if you need it.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Yes, yes it does.

Nice.

Would the shareplay co-op have be through splitscreen though?

I've not really used it before.

Pijeus
Feb 24, 2007
Grimey Drawer

limited posted:

Just wait until you get a Volcano B-10. It's higher level, but it fires ten rockets on auto-fire, and that's not even the highest ranked version if I remember rightly. :unsmigghh:

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Actually, any other good early grind spots in any of the games to recommend? I'm playing all three at once and having the best time

Pijeus fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 16, 2016

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
In increasing order of difficulty of staying alive and loot quality: online missions 27, 81, and DLC1 21, on Inferno difficulty. There are always rooms with people farming at least one of these, just hop in one with a good team and help along.

EDIT: this is for EDF4.1.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Pijeus posted:

Actually, any other good early grind spots in any of the games to recommend? I'm playing all three at once and having the best time

These probably shouldn't be tried very early, but in EDF2 Portable, Mission 43: Red Wave and Mission 71: Crimson Mountain are fantastic for farming Inferno weapons. Out of all the enemies, red ants have the easiest attack to avoid and they bunch up the nicest for AoE/piercing weaponry. I don't know yet if you can get every possible weapon on Crimson Mountain, but I've seen drops up to level 90.

For Infantry, I go in with my best shotgun and C-Bomb or Y-Impulse. For Pale Wing, I double up on Thunder Bows or Rapiers. For Air Raider, I use a Satellite Blaster, 120mm Cannon, and Skytrap Wire.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 16, 2016

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I have a quick question about same screen multiplayer. It doubles armor gain right? I have a second controller and was wondering if there was any real downside, other than screen size, to just doing split-screen and having the second player not do anything. Am I correct in thinking that my runthrough on Normal would net me double the weapons/armor just by having that second controller connected?

Edit: This is Offline Mode.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Double the armour, same amount of weapons. Who picks up the weapon crates determines what class they go to. And no real downside and could even serve as a backup if you somehow shoot yourself in the foot and they're still standing.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I'm still not sure about the weapons, since you only see one results screen. I tried that a bit and had mixed results that didn't quite seem to do what I wanted them to do. But yea, double health if you play two of the same class, both medals if you play two different classes.

In other news, playing online without weapon restrictions is great. Thanks for the quick progress tonight!

Pijeus
Feb 24, 2007
Grimey Drawer
The cave missions in this are great - so atmospheric, and great for testing new weapons without getting swarmed. I don't think I can ever give up my beloved rocket launcher/assault or sniper rifle combo though.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.

Light Gun Man posted:

But yea, double health if you play two of the same class, both medals if you play two different classes.

Don't actually split medals like this if you want to gain the completion trophies offline. Only medals specifically earned by player 1 count towards the trophies, player 2 just kinda creates a phantom medal of sorts.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Mediocrity Goggles posted:

Don't actually split medals like this if you want to gain the completion trophies offline. Only medals specifically earned by player 1 count towards the trophies, player 2 just kinda creates a phantom medal of sorts.

That's....weird. Well you should get your medals online anyway :colbert:

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Mediocrity Goggles posted:

I'm pretty sure this isn't true. I got the Air Raider trophy even though it was my friend playing it in split-screen. That said, maybe it's because I had to go back and re-do a couple levels on the correct difficulty?

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
Does anyone have a good set of loadouts for the fencers for various situations/stages? I'm new to the class, but I'm pushing 1700 armor and have most level 40ish weapons to choose from.

I'm getting clobbered by stages like the last mission of DLC one with the huge space ship and the green ants that spawn from like 4 nests on normal.

In general I run:

Deflection Shield // Blasthole Spear
Some gatling gun with a 1s ramp time // rockets or mortars

but this isn't really working for any stage where there's a lot of ants. I can get by on most stuff with this but if the swarm ever reaches me there's nothing I can do about it. I suspect the gatling gun has to go, but I don't know what I should replace it with. Maybe a jackhammer? People say javelins rule, but all I have is javelin storm right now and I can't seem to really aim it very well. Maybe I'll give it another go.

I've got dash canceling down (although it's sort of tricky if I am trying to revive someone or pick up a box), but I think getting the weapon loadout correct is pretty tough.

Thoughts?

e: just saw a video of the jackhammer and it may be the solution I'm looking for. I was trying out various melee weapons and the charge time really discouraged me on some of them.

Mr Newsman fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 17, 2016

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
Jackhammer, jackhammer, jackhammer, jackhammer.

Actually I run Deflection shield, jackhammer, Gallic, Gallic, but I'm probably the worthlessest fencer.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Mr Newsman posted:

People say javelins rule, but all I have is javelin storm right now and I can't seem to really aim it very well.

Javelins rule for dash canceling, but it's the catapult you want, not the storm. They allow much faster movement than shield canceling, and last longer before needing reload: fire javelin, dash, fire, dash, etc. Also they have a jump like the gatling gun.

Storm One fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 18, 2016

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?

Needs More Jazz posted:

You'll either need to be real good with Limpet Snipers, Gigantus tanks, or have Railgun tanks. Aim for the bodies, ignore the legs, because you need to kill them quickly. Go for the closest one first. If you're not confident about killing them before they close distance, you can try to aim for the laser units, and the feet to disable most of their weapons. This is not ideal because they're going to drop close to your initial position, and these parts are extremely hard to hit consistently. Airstrikes are not particularly useful against those enemies, since they can quickly move away from the blast-zone, and laser-guided strikes generally take too long to do their damage quickly enough. Take some other support equipment, depending on what you have available, a Power Post may be just what you need, unless you have some good turrets to force-feed them bullets. After the 1st wave is dead, kill one of the 2nd wave as quickly as possible, and move towards that position to create distance between yourself and the remaining ones. If you cannot kill them before they close distance and kill you, you need to use more gun, or aim gun better.

e: hard to avoid spoilers, is anything really a spoiler anymore?:v:

A Pleasant Hug fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 18, 2016

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.

Dr. Eldarion posted:

I'm pretty sure this isn't true. I got the Air Raider trophy even though it was my friend playing it in split-screen. That said, maybe it's because I had to go back and re-do a couple levels on the correct difficulty?

Eh, maybe? All I remember is that it was a thing I had a problem with on the Japanese version. Running a mission solo in that version actually gave me the normal ranger clear trophy I should've gotten almost a year ago, so it was either patched or it was only in my head the whole time.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I too am now finally learning Fencer and it's a pretty good time. I ran through the first 40-some missions on easy tonight to get some percents and get adjusted to the basics of the class. I was worried it was going to be difficult for me, or make me lovely at switching to other classes and forgetting how to do poo poo, but so far it seems pretty OK!

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
Just a heads up, while it's not a 'proper' farming mission, number 14 is another okay-ish level where you can possibly nab some upgrades without needing too much to get started.

You'll need something solid enough to take out the fliers at the beginning, but the majority of the level you can just chip at the Hectors at long range while the AI does the heavy lifting, then grab some boxes between waves or at the end. Not exactly the best time-reward rate, but depending on drops, and as long as you keep the AI between you and the Hectors, you can snag some upgrades even on inferno.

It's great for a air-raider if you've got turrets unlocked. Just dump 'em down to handle the fliers, cringe behind them until your vehicle of choice drops, then just start blasting away.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Mission 76, Machine Squad, is pretty good for weapon farming if you have high powered, long range stuff like snipers or rail guns. Just roll all the way back while the ships show up, and blast the Deroys as they hit the npc squad. Leave the final one alive after blowing it's leg cannons off and collect at your leisure. Just set the difficulty to something you can contend with.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

limited posted:

Just a heads up, while it's not a 'proper' farming mission, number 14 is another okay-ish level where you can possibly nab some upgrades without needing too much to get started.

You'll need something solid enough to take out the fliers at the beginning, but the majority of the level you can just chip at the Hectors at long range while the AI does the heavy lifting, then grab some boxes between waves or at the end. Not exactly the best time-reward rate, but depending on drops, and as long as you keep the AI between you and the Hectors, you can snag some upgrades even on inferno.

It's great for a air-raider if you've got turrets unlocked. Just dump 'em down to handle the fliers, cringe behind them until your vehicle of choice drops, then just start blasting away.

Running away down the road the tanks drive in on and waiting untill the drones are dead works too.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

So is there a good way to solo EDF2 Portable Mission 78: Imperial City as an Air Raider on Hardest or Inferno? I was trying it with the Borderline or EM Wall, Lionic 35, and Limpet Heavy Gun but it's a ridiculous slog to clear out all the turrets with such slow weapons. Should I just not bother with them?

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Feb 20, 2016

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Hectors are weird

http://i.imgur.com/ELYY58o.webm

e: here's the source where you can see my terrible decision making skills of mowing these guys down instead of just bringing a long range weapon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNFQW5bRdyo

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Renegret posted:

hectordance.webm

Yesss, my favorite part of EDF.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

That or any ragdolling. My coop buddy plays fencer and the usual cartwheeling death from point-blank explosions results in him banging against a broken wall and finishing up slouched over like some tired veteran of an ugly war.

Whereas my best moment was faceplanting as a wing diver into the most compromising position. :blush:

Last night he and I finished up the main campaign run entirely through on Hard. Those last few missions required a lot of restarts and working out strategies to handle those loving laser-happy fliers. They rip me up something fierce if I don't have laser-catchers in the form of NPC squadmates. Onwards to the DLC stuff or run through it again with the other two classes.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Try hitting Deroys with the satellite blaster :getin:

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Light Gun Man posted:

Try hitting Deroys with the satellite blaster :getin:

Or yourself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW2vjgoQ7gs

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Oh yes, good fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A3Fi6SmSaw

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Mission 76, Machine Squad, is pretty good for weapon farming if you have high powered, long range stuff like snipers or rail guns.

Whyyyyy do people try to farm 80 instead of this one. It's underground, it's small tunnels, it's terrible. But I always see people doing it.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

ElwoodCuse posted:

Whyyyyy do people try to farm 80 instead of this one. It's underground, it's small tunnels, it's terrible. But I always see people doing it.

Underground stuff is usually easier to control, since you can make use of choke points and stuff.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

ElwoodCuse posted:

You mean the "Death Queen" one? There are strong choke points for all three groups of enemies, and the only really "hard" parts are surviving the initial spider rush and taking out the queens when you're underpowered, and on inferno you can get l90 weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

ElwoodCuse posted:

Yeah, I never really liked 80 either. If you're farming a slow and hard mission for very few drops, might as well do 91 that at least has no upper cap on weapon level drops.

81 also drops lv90 weapons and it's easier, much quicker, gives you about 30 seconds after the last enemy is killed to pick up loot and, even with many drops ending up unrecoverable in the water, you'll still get more than on 80.
Plus if you're having trouble, you can significantly reduce risk of death by destroying the earth eater that spawns the small tripods in the last wave, allowing you to focus on the 2 big ones which if killed fast enough will end the mission prematurely.