Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

I was thinking poaching in-shell was a huge PITA relative to the results. I have no problem poaching normally, though. And yeah chicken breast is alright but I kind of miss the character of the unevenly, imperfectly cooked breast. A lot of stuff I've made sous vide has turned out perfect but tastes 'institutional' like something you'd get at a high-end hospital or something. I find that it's difficult to impart character into anything, even with a broiler or a torch or a smoking-hot steel pan.

Just my toot scents. I'll keep experimenting, because it's fun, but I have come to think of this method as a novelty for the most part.

I don't know if "My perfectly cooked food is cooked too perfectly" is a valid complaint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

AnonSpore posted:

I don't know if "My perfectly cooked food is cooked too perfectly" is a valid complaint

The most strikingly dreadful "too perfect" thing I had was salmon. It wasn't until I was eating that, that I realized I enjoy the variation in texture that comes with baking or frying it. The textural contrast is nice, and when it's not there, I miss it. I feel like it's a waste to cook a nice fresh filet sous vide when you can get the same effect in any cheap can of salmon.

So maybe instead of "too perfect" I should have said "lack of contrast." But I understand your disagreement. I just feel like a lot of dishes come out more interesting, mostly due to textural variance, when traditionally cooked.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Barring experimentation with vegetables, I think I've decided that sous vide cooking for me shall be a technique reserved only for steak. Everything else I've tried with it has come out, at best, inducing a sort of uncanny-valley-style discomfort in its unpleasantly consistent... uh, consistency. I'm thinking salmon filets with seams and treadmarks. And at worst, it can produce things mysteriously and robotically weird and awful, I.E. burgers with the texture of a chef boyardee meatball beneath the thinnest veneer of a sear.

The steaks, though. Goddamn. No other cooking method comes close, in my opinion.

Cooking things sous vide is bad, lazy, and soulless, except in the one application where it transcends any possible expectation and produces steaks so good they're individually unforgettable.

Huh, I have the opposite experience unless we're talking ultra-thick tenderloin, in which case hell yes. Fish, chicken, lean meats, long slow cooked meats, all excellent sous vide. My steaks though are just kind of sad compared to a beautifully grilled version, and yes I am talking medium rare to medium on the finish. Fat just doesn't render out properly sous vide before things start getting mushy, so unless you're making pulled pork, I haven't found room for fatty meats cooked for minimum or near-minimum food safety times.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
If you just don't like food cooked consistently that's weird but whatever. But when you complain about the sealer mangling poo poo, that's totally something that doesn't need to happen. You can get pretty much any consistency out of a sous vide burger, for example, by just controlling how much the sealer tries to evacuate the bag. Some high-end sealers have a manual seal button, but on my cheapass US$20 Rival I can accomplish the same thing just by pressing down slightly on the lid, which is enough to get it to stop sucking and start sealing. This works well enough that very wet/liquid things---like a custard---won't wick up through the seal, will prevent something like ground beef from being compacted, and will eliminate wrinkles or whatever being imprinted onto the meat.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

SubG posted:

If you just don't like food cooked consistently that's weird but whatever. But when you complain about the sealer mangling poo poo, that's totally something that doesn't need to happen. You can get pretty much any consistency out of a sous vide burger, for example, by just controlling how much the sealer tries to evacuate the bag. Some high-end sealers have a manual seal button, but on my cheapass US$20 Rival I can accomplish the same thing just by pressing down slightly on the lid, which is enough to get it to stop sucking and start sealing. This works well enough that very wet/liquid things---like a custard---won't wick up through the seal, will prevent something like ground beef from being compacted, and will eliminate wrinkles or whatever being imprinted onto the meat.

Or use a ziplock.

I would never vac seal a burger or fish. Way too delicate.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Yeah after several years of sous vide and after listening to Dave Arnold's arguments along these lines, I think I'm going to use zip locks more often now.

Fish are delicate and get mangled even by the weak Vacuum Foodsavers can apply

Foodsaver bags leave unappetizing crisscross marks everywhere on meats.

Vacuum will suck red poo poo out of bone marrow in chicken. Even when they're cooked correctly you have that blotch of unappetizing bloody mess on the insides.

More ziplocks for short term cooks.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Feb 18, 2016

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Steve Yun posted:

More ziplocks for short term cooks.

This. Literally everything that I make that's going less than 24 hours gets the ziplock treatment. I've had problems with longer cook times causing ziplocks to fail, but under 24 it's usually perfect. Considering that the bulk of the stuff I make is single-portion, and for me to eat the same day, it's perfect.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

When I vacuum seal stuff that I don't want to get squeezed to poo poo (for instance I vacuum sealed leftover pumpkin pie from Thanksgiving to freeze), I just hit the seal button on my foodsaver before it completely sucks out all of the air and starts to deform what's in the bag. It's really not that hard.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

The most strikingly dreadful "too perfect" thing I had was salmon. It wasn't until I was eating that, that I realized I enjoy the variation in texture that comes with baking or frying it. The textural contrast is nice, and when it's not there, I miss it. I feel like it's a waste to cook a nice fresh filet sous vide when you can get the same effect in any cheap can of salmon.

Um.

If I can get this in a can, please tell me where:

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/salmon-mi-cuit

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Phanatic posted:

Um.

If I can get this in a can, please tell me where:

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/salmon-mi-cuit

Hmm. You just gave me the idea for my next sous vide salmon. Punch out a round from the filet using a mason jar, repeat if needed to fill mason jar, possibly with seasoning in between chunks, evacuate jar, sous vide at 104F. Like a little terrine!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Test Pattern posted:

Hmm. You just gave me the idea for my next sous vide salmon. Punch out a round from the filet using a mason jar, repeat if needed to fill mason jar, possibly with seasoning in between chunks, evacuate jar, sous vide at 104F. Like a little terrine!

Punching a round out of a salmon filet using a mason jar is going to be a disaster.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Agreed, you need the right tool for the job. :v:

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Subjunctive posted:

Punching a round out of a salmon filet using a mason jar is going to be a disaster.

Getting it out afterward is likely to be even more horrifying.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

G-Prime posted:

Getting it out afterward is likely to be even more horrifying.

Eat it out of the jar with a spoon :getin:

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Took advantage of some buy one get one sales at my grocer to stock up on BSCB and some top round (1.5 and 1.2lb pieces). I prefer medium rare and my wife likes it a bit towards medium.

Looking around, I see recommended cooking times anywhere between 12 hours and three days. Any particular experience or recommendations on time and temp? I have both of the rounds vacuum sealed; the larger is in the freezer and the smaller is in the fridge for now so defrosting times won't be applicable on the one I plan to cook first.

I also sealed them without any particular seasonings or additions to the bag so I can certainly open it back up and make adjustments as well before puddling the beef.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

For a second there, I thought you were asking if you should cook Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast for three days, and I kind of went :stare: for a bit.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Captain Bravo posted:

For a second there, I thought you were asking if you should cook Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast for three days, and I kind of went :stare: for a bit.

There are better ways to make chicken soup!

Doing more reading I have also seen top round listed at just a few hours (steak, not roast). I may just try 12 hours as a first attempt to split the difference and let me throw it in before work. Worst case I could slice it up for sandwiches.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

the yeti posted:

Eat it out of the jar with a spoon :getin:

That was the plan actually. And yeah, the punch will probably be with an appropriate tool. The idea is like a tender salmon terrine.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Test Pattern posted:

The idea is like a tender salmon terrine.

Then sous vide the salmon first (mi-cuit works well) and then break it down into a terrine.

I'm partial to a salmon + smoked salmon mix with a bit of sour cream, green onions and lemon juice.

e:
vvvvvv
I usually just serve capers on top of the terrine, separately. The compromises you have to make when your partner does not like capers. :shobon:

Jan fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 22, 2016

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jan posted:

I'm partial to a salmon + smoked salmon mix with a bit of sour cream, green onions and lemon juice.

Capers, please.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Jan posted:

The compromises you have to make when your partner does not like capers. :shobon:

:(:hf::(

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Jan posted:

The compromises you have to make when your partner does not like capers. :shobon:

Sever

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
sup, spouses-who-hate-capers krew

:(:hf::(

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
I'm not a fan of capers. I fully acknowledge that I'm a monster.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I haven't made creme brulee the traditional way in a water oven but I did try it sous vide last week and they came out awesome. Highly recommended.

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/creme-brulee

i added a tiny bit of vanilla, otherwise I stuck to the recipe.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
I tried that recipe but couldn't get it to set correctly - it came out more like pudding than creme. No issues when you tried it?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I dunno, isn't creme brulee more of a custard? I'm no brulee expert but I didn't think it was like pudding.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I tried that two weekends ago, it didn't set even after 3 hours, not sure what I was doing wrong but it was disappointing to say the least.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Not sure either, I did the same recipe last year and it turned out perfectly, set up really well. Only thing I did wrong was not put enough sugar on top when I bruleed them.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I like the jar concept, might give that a try. Otherwise I haven't done any egg emulsion things sous vide for ages. The results varied widely, which is very strange when sous vide is supposed to be predictable and repeatable. At least it makes a great temp controlled bain marie which is great help when doing hollandaise the traditional way.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Just dropped my mini-mason jars into the sous vide, hoping it turns out great! I've been itching for a chance to whip my torch back out, maybe after this I'll grab some steaks too? :getin:

genderfluid and beautiful
Feb 1, 2005

Advice for pork country ribs (boneless pork shoulder slabs) on a 24 hour clock?

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
So 12 hours of top round steak at 132 turned out well. There was a bit of fat to trim but the meat was tender without being too mushy and made some excellent fajitas. Definitely nice to have dinner ready in 15 minutes when I got home; just had to sear the steak, grill some peppers and assemble.

I could get used to this style of cooking, given all I really did was turn on the Anova when I let the dog out in the morning and throw in the beef before leaving for work.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Tortolia posted:

So 12 hours of top round steak at 132 turned out well. There was a bit of fat to trim but the meat was tender without being too mushy and made some excellent fajitas. Definitely nice to have dinner ready in 15 minutes when I got home; just had to sear the steak, grill some peppers and assemble.

I could get used to this style of cooking, given all I really did was turn on the Anova when I let the dog out in the morning and throw in the beef before leaving for work.

Cmon man, pictures.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Cultural Imperial posted:

Cmon man, pictures.

Right, my mistake.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
daaaaaaamn son

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I'm starting an Arduino-based sous vide system. If I'm not back in two weeks, tell my family that between a bunch of water, metal, and electrical equipment I shocked myself and died.

But in all seriousness, Arduino has an extensive PID control library. I'm excited to see what an old camping Coleman cooler with two thermistors and a PID-controlled relay running a large immersion boiler can do.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Just make sure you test that stuff before you show up on the news with a burning cooler. Take pictures!

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

How have you guys been doing reheating/finishing vizzled meats after fridging? I've tried it with steak and with chicken and both times the insides were still cold (and in the case of the steak, the fats were solid which made for a pretty sad experience) by the time the outside was properly seared/browned. Is there something I'm missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

AnonSpore posted:

How have you guys been doing reheating/finishing vizzled meats after fridging? I've tried it with steak and with chicken and both times the insides were still cold (and in the case of the steak, the fats were solid which made for a pretty sad experience) by the time the outside was properly seared/browned. Is there something I'm missing?

I toss it in the SV or some hot water for a few minutes to reheat. As long as you're below the temp you cooked it at initially, it shouldn't make a difference.