Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Well I guess that explains it. Doesn't make sense they don't do it like the Oscars but who am I to say!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

bows1 posted:

Well I guess that explains it. Doesn't make sense they don't do it like the Oscars but who am I to say!

I think it works better than calendar year, actually. Setting a cutoff before voting even begins saves from situations like the Oscars with Selma, where most voters had already sent in their ballots when its screeners were sent out.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Per twitter, seems like the Ke$ha case is not going her way. Seeing conflicting reports on exactly what's happened but they're all either saying she's not getting out or that there's no decision yet. Basically all :negative:

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 19, 2016

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

MooCowlian posted:

Per twitter, seems like the Ke$ha case is not going her way. Seeing conflicting reports on exactly what's happened but they're all either saying she's not getting out or that there's no decision yet. Basically all :negative:

God dammit! I am going to be beyond pissed if her career ends because of this poo poo bag.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
looks like it ruled against her. what a bunch of poo poo.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Kesha gets sexually assaulted by her producer, asks to be let out of her contract, judge says "gently caress you, you signed the contract, you make those last six albums with your rapist, or don't work," effectively calling her a liar and raping her again. Yay, America. Yay justice.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
That's not what actually happened. It doesn't sound as though the case was dismissed (though that might still happen). The judge just ruled that the contract is still valid while the case is being determined. It sucks - especially in this context - but preliminary injunctions have a very very high bar, even in things like constitutional cases.

Tl;dr: Filing a lawsuit doesn't cancel the contract while you decide whether there are grounds to cancel the contract.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wait what? This verdict wasn't the verdict for the lawsuit against Sony? Like....are you sure?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

According to this Rolling Stone article and some other stuff I've read, the judge has denied an injunction that would allow her to record music outside of her current contract, which requires six more albums with Dr Luke's label. As I understand it, the final verdict on the abuse itself is still in limbo pending more evidence from Kesha's end, but the request for an injunction in the meantime is denied. I think that means that there's still a case to be heard on the abuse, but she won't be able to work until that's done. I assume that if she wins that, she'll then get out of the contract anyway, but I don't really know much about her contract or the contract law surrounding it so...

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
That sucks so much. Poor Kesha... I hope Dr Luke never has another hit song.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Dr. Luke is being eviscerated on social media.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

the truth posted:

Dr. Luke is being eviscerated on social media.
Lucky for him, he's a producer and not an artist.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

MooCowlian posted:

According to this Rolling Stone article and some other stuff I've read, the judge has denied an injunction that would allow her to record music outside of her current contract, which requires six more albums with Dr Luke's label. As I understand it, the final verdict on the abuse itself is still in limbo pending more evidence from Kesha's end, but the request for an injunction in the meantime is denied. I think that means that there's still a case to be heard on the abuse, but she won't be able to work until that's done. I assume that if she wins that, she'll then get out of the contract anyway, but I don't really know much about her contract or the contract law surrounding it so...

This case was to prove whether or not Sony/Kemosabe were deliberately trying to destroy Kesha's career. They provided quite a bit of proof they did not want to destroy her career, and in fact wanted her to make the last six albums so they got their money back. Kesha brought no evidence to the trial. As such, the judge ordered her to remain on the contract, as in the confines of this case, it was not evident Sony/Kemosabe were deliberately trying to trash Kesha's career like she claimed. The entire purpose of this case was to verify whether or not Kesha's claim her career was being destroyed on purpose was truthful.

The next trial will be to determine whether or not the sexual abuse happened. Sony/Kemosabe's current defense is that the claimed abuse happened in 06/08 according to Kesha, yet Kesha chose to stay friends with Luke/make two albums with him. The defense is arguing that if he in fact abused her, why did she choose to only bring it up now, nearly 10 years later, around the same time she suddenly wants to start making music for herself. They have provided a considerable amount of proof of Kesha being Luke's friend/talking about him as family in texts/emails/phone recordings up until 13/14 when she started her suit, so it's going to be rough for Kesha to prove he was actually a hurtful influence/abuser to the courts. She will also need to provide proof that being around Luke is difficult/impossible, and that she cannot work with him to fulfill her contract, which again, is going to be very tough to do considering she worked with him for almost 10 years after the alleged abuse happened.

She has also yet to provide any evidence for the sexual abuse case. That could be either because she has none, or because she doesn't want it to become public. Either way, it's going to basically be rolling a boulder up a hill, since she'll have to explain why only now can she not work with Luke anymore, when she could for the last 10 years. Even if she can prove the abuse happened, in the eyes of the contract/court, she needs to prove she is unable to work with Dr. Luke enough to break herself out of this contract. Working with the guy for so long without saying anything is not a great defense, and it's going to be used against her.

Even if she can prove that Luke sexually abused her, it's very likely the courts will still demand she stay within the contract, and that Sony/Kemosabe provide a different producer/label to manage Kesha. That's great......but not exactly what Kesha wants, she wants out of this contract so she can start producing music for herself now, during her prime/late prime years before she gets burned out of the industry. And that's basically not going to happen at this point, even if she does win the case against Luke.

To make matters worse, her lawyer is destroying the legitimacy of the case on a fairly frequent basic. They put out suits claiming Dr. Luke also sexually abused Gaga and Cyrus while he managed them, which both Gaga and Cyrus denied vehemently. While it wouldn't be a huge mark in most cases, you can bet Dr. Luke's lawyers will take them to town for "using" Kesha like they tried to use Gaga and Cyrus, making this an illegitimate case. And with how shaky the entire case is, with Kesha bringing forth literally no evidence of any of her claims across the board and Sony/Kemosabe having so much proof she's not telling the truth about basic stuff they might be able to use that to really gently caress up any points Kesha could make.

Kesha is also making the case look pretty bad for herself. Sony/Kemosabe have put forth offers for her to be able to record without Dr. Luke, using a different producer/recorder to help her make her albums. She's denied them every single time. That ends up being yet another question the court has to answer, which, if this is about Kesha/Luke, why would she refuse to work with Sony to still make the albums without Luke in the picture. The court/Sony/Kemosabe could very easily view this as a breach of contract, and turn that against her, by pointing out that this is supposed to be about Luke, yet when they remove Luke from the picture, she's still refusing to work with them at all, which could mean it's actually about her wanting to break the contract. If they can push that angle well enough, that'd likely do considerable damage to her sexual abuse case.

Basically, the whole situation is still hosed, but this case wasn't looking at the sexual abuse allegations.

Personally, I think she was very likely abused, and forced to stay in a friendly relationship with Dr. Luke to actually get her first two albums out/get her foot in the door. And now much of that is being used as evidence against her. I'm mainly posting all this so everyone knows where the case is going, why, and how. I highly doubt she'll win her case against Luke, largely due to how her legal team is advising her/acting. The best she can hope for at this point is still having to put out those six albums under a different Sony/Kemosabe producer, and never having to see/work with Luke again.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Really good summary of the situation, thanks for that.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rookersh posted:

Excellent Summary

This is all really good stuff (the description, not the actual contents, obvi). What I would be really curious to hear is if Luke has had any other relationships with his female artists like this. I looked at the lineup of artists signed to Kemosabe, and it looks like Becky G and Zara Larsson are the only two recognizable female artists, but Bonnie McKee and GRL are both former Kemosabe artists, I wonder if they would have any insight into his actions as a producer. In cases like this, where allegations of sexual assault are about instances that are years old, there's obviously not going to be a lot of evidence one way or the other, so if Luke has an actual history (not just a fabricated one that Lady Gaga and Miley Cyrus both deny happened) of treating his female artists like poo poo, there could be something there.

Remember, it's not just sexual assault he's been accused of. He was sued for "alleged sexual assault and battery, sexual harassment, gender violence, emotional abuse, and violation of California business practices over their 10 years of working together". I think, like Rookersh says, there's not a good chance of him getting convicted of the assault, but I think there's a better chance of proving the harassment/abuse charges, especially considering she ended up in rehab for an eating disorder a couple years ago mostly because of her treatment.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hot on the heels of this Kanye poo poo Taylor announced New Romantics as a single. Her marketing team are geniuses.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Yoshifan823 posted:

This is all really good stuff (the description, not the actual contents, obvi). What I would be really curious to hear is if Luke has had any other relationships with his female artists like this. I looked at the lineup of artists signed to Kemosabe, and it looks like Becky G and Zara Larsson are the only two recognizable female artists, but Bonnie McKee and GRL are both former Kemosabe artists, I wonder if they would have any insight into his actions as a producer. In cases like this, where allegations of sexual assault are about instances that are years old, there's obviously not going to be a lot of evidence one way or the other, so if Luke has an actual history (not just a fabricated one that Lady Gaga and Miley Cyrus both deny happened) of treating his female artists like poo poo, there could be something there.

Remember, it's not just sexual assault he's been accused of. He was sued for "alleged sexual assault and battery, sexual harassment, gender violence, emotional abuse, and violation of California business practices over their 10 years of working together". I think, like Rookersh says, there's not a good chance of him getting convicted of the assault, but I think there's a better chance of proving the harassment/abuse charges, especially considering she ended up in rehab for an eating disorder a couple years ago mostly because of her treatment.

i was reading that a number of prominent women in pop music (kelly clarkson and pink notably) have worked with dr. luke in the past and had big hits but categorically refused to work with him again. that's not proof of any sexual misconduct, but it definitely could be evidence that there's some kind of emotional/workplace abuse going on.

given how her career seems to have been absolutely ruined by this and her reactions i'm pretty inclined to think that some really terrible poo poo went down beyond just workplace abuse though. you don't light your career on fire just because working conditions have completely broken down.

additionally, i think it's absolutely insane that sony offered an 18 year old an eight album deal. there are artists out there whose entire collection doesn't even span 8 albums. to put it in pop music context, britney spears released her 8th album in 2013. that's about 14 years from first to last album, and she's arguably a much more prominent artist than kesha is.

in all honesty, i was hoping she'd win so she'd produce some more stuff like her deconstructed EP. she's really good at music, but has gotten absolutely pigeonholed in terms of what she sings (which i will say she still does really well). now that she lost the injunction, i'm guessing her odds of winning the full trial aren't great. we're probably never going to see her change or grow as an artist, which is a damned shame.

axeil fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Feb 20, 2016

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

axeil posted:

additionally, i think it's absolutely insane that sony offered an 18 year old an eight album deal. there are artists out there whose entire collection doesn't even span 8 albums. to put it in pop music context, britney spears released her 8th album in 2013. that's about 14 years from first to last album, and she's arguably a much more prominent artist than kesha is.

I think that's fairly standard practice isn't it? If an artist turns out to be successful you want to lock them down long term.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Thanks for this explication. I only knew a small portion and this sheds light on a lot.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Wandle Cax posted:

I think that's fairly standard practice isn't it? If an artist turns out to be successful you want to lock them down long term.

i don't know, i'm not really in the know on the music industry. seems like a 4 album contract would be more reasonable?

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

drat this Kesha/D Luke thing is an absolute shitshow and I can't begin to imagine how many more situations like this have occurred.

Here's a nice CHVRCHES song to get your mind off of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZyzX4c1vIs

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Sounds like Kesha has a really lovely lawyer.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

axeil posted:

i don't know, i'm not really in the know on the music industry. seems like a 4 album contract would be more reasonable?

The fact that it's not reasonable is the point. It's supposed to be much more in the label's interest than in the artist's, which is why it's a standard. Six albums is the standard for rock music, btw. The music business is NOT designed to be friendly to artists.

Also Dr. Luke is a piece of poo poo and a horrible monster.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Yoshifan823 posted:

so if Luke has an actual history (not just a fabricated one that Lady Gaga and Miley Cyrus both deny happened) of treating his female artists like poo poo, there could be something there.

Gaga worked with Dr. Luke?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

He's worked with a hell of a lot of people, but Gaga isn't one of them. According to a rep (of his) when that accusation happened:

quote:

Luke met Lady GaGa twice for less than half an hour total in those two meetings combined. He has never been alone with her and never touched her. Neither meeting was in that time frame reported.

Looking at their discographies on wikipedia, she's not listed anywhere on his, nor him on hers.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lord Krangdar posted:

Gaga worked with Dr. Luke?

Nah, but Kesha's lawyer claimed abuse by him happened to Gaga and Cyrus, which both ladies denied. I mean, if you're gonna make flagrant accusations like that, at least do so with people who have actually worked with him.

edit: Seriously, Katy Perry is right there, make her open up about him. She's worked with Luke more than anyone except Kesha herself.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Yoshifan823 posted:

Nah, but Kesha's lawyer claimed abuse by him happened to Gaga and Cyrus, which both ladies denied. I mean, if you're gonna make flagrant accusations like that, at least do so with people who have actually worked with him.

edit: Seriously, Katy Perry is right there, make her open up about him. She's worked with Luke more than anyone except Kesha herself.

It's possible they met to discuss recording a song, or they recorded a song that was never released.

Also they may be denying any abuse/harassment because they have no concrete evidence and don't want to be called a liar by the public - going forward with abuse allegations is terrifying and demeaning even when you have proof, I don't blame someone for not stepping forward.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Yoshifan823 posted:

Maybe its because Gaga has said she had been sexually coerced in the industry earlier in her career but she's declined to name the person or people involved.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I think that's pretty much what happened. Gaga said she'd been abused, the lawyer went and talked about how it was totally Dr Luke and then Gaga's people turned around and told him "no, stop being a loving idiot."

I feel bad for Kesha that she's managed to land herself such an idiot as a lawyer.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

quote:

Taylor Swift has donated $250,000 to Kesha, after a New York judge rejected an injunction that would have allowed the singer to record music without Sony Music and longtime producer Dr. Luke. In a statement to Rolling Stone, a spokesperson for Swift said the money would help Kesha "with any of her financial needs during this trying time."

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Hm... I've seen some criticism of her due to her not speaking out. I know some people were thinking Demi Lovato was throwing some shade on Twitter.

I wonder if this is to combat any negative press.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

https://www.gofundme.com/freekesha

Only $2 million? That's chump change to some people.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I have a feeling Sony is gonna want more than $2 million at this point, but that is just me?

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I bet that guy runs off with the money.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I am going to the Carly Rae Jepsen concert soon! Has anyone else seen her on this tour? What should I expect? My husband is convinced we are gonna be the oldest people there (I'm 26 he's 29).

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I could use convincing as well for CRJ. I like a few of her songs, but I can't justify 25 dollars for a few songs, unless she puts on a good live show.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

PUGGERNAUT posted:

I am going to the Carly Rae Jepsen concert soon! Has anyone else seen her on this tour? What should I expect? My husband is convinced we are gonna be the oldest people there (I'm 26 he's 29).

she plays the entirety of EMOTION (including bonus tracks) plus 6 other songs (at least one of which I'm sure you can guess). it's loving incredible, I paid $80 for my ticket (stubhub :argh:) and didn't regret it

you can go on setlist.fm to spoil yourself on the specifics since she plays the exact same setlist at each show, but that's the gist of it

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
New The Knocks song Love Me Like That (feat. Carly Rae Jepsen).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PUGGERNAUT posted:

My husband is convinced we are gonna be the oldest people there (I'm 26 he's 29).

He doesn't have to worry about that because Carly Rae Jepsen is a year old than he is. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Slandible posted:

I could use convincing as well for CRJ. I like a few of her songs, but I can't justify 25 dollars for a few songs, unless she puts on a good live show.

25 dollars is not that much dude...