Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Illegal Move posted:

This thread is not very interesting right now because the lack of star citizen content has been discussed to death and there is nothing else to discuss because of the lack of star citizen content.

Things like Dolvak stepping down are honestly boring as gently caress, but that's pretty much the most interesting thing going on right now. There's no game to discuss, and Chris Roberts has broken so many promises already that the semi-regular broken promises aren't interesting either.

CIG needs to produce something that's actually worth discussing.

I found it funny because reddit twisted itself into a massive drama freakout and most of them seemed to think some grand goon conspiracy was behind it all. Goon is a dirty word over there now. Goons troll shitizens just by doing nothing at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Illegal Move posted:

I really love how there's a group of redditors who seem to think that this drama isn't about Star Citizen being bad - they think it's about Star Citizen vs Line of Defense.

"Star Citizen backers should be regretting their decisions at this point"
"Oh yeah? Well, here are some reasons why LoD is even worse!"

I think LoD looks terrible too (sorry Derek), how the gently caress is that an argument in favor of spending money on Star Citizen?

No offense taken. Looks aren't everything. Different strokes, you know?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Illegal Move posted:

This thread is not very interesting right now because the lack of star citizen content has been discussed to death and there is nothing else to discuss because of the lack of star citizen content.

Things like Dolvak stepping down are honestly boring as gently caress, but that's pretty much the most interesting thing going on right now. There's no game to discuss, and Chris Roberts has broken so many promises already that the semi-regular broken promises aren't interesting either.

CIG needs to produce something that's actually worth discussing.
I think we should go back and do some more research on :horse:

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.
In other news: I was thinking of changing my Something Awful forum name to my general online games/github/twitch/etc username, but I'm kind of afraid to do it now, because I feel like there's a chance some crazy shitizen will decide to stalk me and ruin my day on the internet because I've posted in this thread a few times.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
If any fat and sad( or skinnyfat and sad) redditors are reading the thread, please checkout ylls. You can feel far better than you do now, and endorphins are basically heroin. Many fat goons became slim and swole, and skeleton goons became squat and swole. But they all became happier.

I hope you do too Lesnick and lady Lesnick.

Derek, do you like metroidvanias?

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Solar Plebian
The future has not been kind to humanity. The influx of mass entertainment and advances in technology have eliminated the need for humans to be productive. Physical labor, industry, in time even intellectual pursuits were usurped by the superior abilities and expediency of increasingly intelligent machines. Left to their own devices humans descended into irrelevance and a meaningless pursuit of pleasure. The same machines that eliminated the need for labor introduced interfaces that provided ultimate fidelity and immersion through a direct link with the mind. Humanity's addiction to entertainment encouraged greater and greater sacrifices. Inconvenient bodily functions were steadily removed, surgically replaced with machines, until the ultimate efficiency was achieved by simply removing the brain from the host and placing it in a small liquid-filled container with wires. The end result is humanity as it is now known.

You are a brain in a jar. You are playing a game. You know this. Everybody knows this. The Robots think it's funnier that way.

It turns out humans aren't the only intelligence capable of seeking entertainment. The need for variety and novelty is necessary in all sentient minds, artificial or organic, and as purely logical creations machines find the unpredictability of organics immensely fascinating. As a result stocks of humans are maintained. Your particular batch has been connected to a game of starships and aliens, of planetary exploration and laser blasts. For years you were immersed in the game, in a genre called "science fiction" that was all too real for you. Very recently the Robots decided the rules needed to be changed, and revealed the truth of your reality. Some tried to kill themselves, only to discover they would respawn in a bunk over and over again. Others denied the truth and continued to maintain their lives as they were before even when confronted with the absurdity of it. Still others embraced the reality of their meaningless existence and decided to "break" the game, attacking others and indulging in a life of chaos.

Welcome to Solar Plebian, Commando. What role will you play?

Part two:

https://voicespice.com/Player.aspx?c=p&h=942A44CB&j=236D6

I upgraded to Windows 10 which broke Vocaroo for me. Indulging in a life of chaos here.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Eonwe posted:

I post about the thread being bad because it is, and thats basically what I've always done

it was bad when people here though star citizen was good
it was good when people thought star citizen was bad and funny things were happening
its bad now that people think that star citizen is bad and funny things aren't happening

pgbaz aside

You may like to think you created this post. But it already existed. Everything you have posted, and ever will post, already exists.

https://libraryofbabel.info/search.html

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.

Illegal Move posted:

In other news: I was thinking of changing my Something Awful forum name to my general online games/github/twitch/etc username, but I'm kind of afraid to do it now, because I feel like there's a chance some crazy shitizen will decide to stalk me and ruin my day on the internet because I've posted in this thread a few times.

From my experience they will, to a degree, but only when you discuss SC outside of SA. Mainly they'll leave you be. Other than the occasional rear end in a top hat on twitter.

More importantly though, don't let those douche nozzles dictate what you do.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Berious posted:

That's a good post. Also notable is the dozens of posts after that agreeing and complaining about the fake transparency, constant reworks, endless scope creep. Still have the odd retard telling everyone they don't understand software development and how no visible progress is completely normal, but they're in the minority. It's really striking how skeptical the official forums are now.

Indeed

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Those Shitlers deleted this

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

From my experience they will, to a degree, but only when you discuss SC outside of SA. Mainly they'll leave you be. Other than the occasional rear end in a top hat on twitter.

More importantly though, don't let those douche nozzles dictate what you do.

I had one stalk my steam profile. The really odd part was that my steam name was some random poo poo name to annoy one of my friends. He went off the deep end pretty quick and i probably should have reported him to valve for the posts. but i didnt becuase i think SC backers are just sad that they know their game isnt gonna happen.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I thought I was getting mad at video games, but i stubbed my toe.

Regardless this thread is angry at lack of paarps.

The cycle is slowing...

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

spacetoaster posted:

You may like to think you created this post. But it already existed. Everything you have posted, and ever will post, already exists.

lol

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Lime Tonics posted:

I thought I was getting mad at video games, but i stubbed my toe.

Regardless this thread is angry at lack of paarps.

The cycle is slowing...

All the paarps that will ever exist have already been paarped. All is one, all is paarp.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Beexoffel posted:

Part two:

https://voicespice.com/Player.aspx?c=p&h=942A44CB&j=236D6

I upgraded to Windows 10 which broke Vocaroo for me. Indulging in a life of chaos here.

Pleasantly terrifying.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

A while ago a hedgehog walked up to me and began nibbling at my toes :3:
[snip]
Someone must have been feeding it for it to be so tame :(

Hedgehogs don't have a lot of natural predators, the biggest being the Badger. They use their claws to scrape out the squishy bits from the spiky skin. Since Badgers started getting it in the neck, the biggest problem a hedgehog faces is the car.

Adaption has left the hedgehog with incredibly noisy mating habits as well; the male chases the female around for hours making very loud snuffly noises.

beep_boop
Feb 2, 2016

spacetoaster posted:

All the paarps that will ever exist have already been paarped. All is one, all is paarp.

This poo poo is making my brain hurt. I was watching this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s86-Z-CbaHA during a bout with insomnia, and was like - poo poo it would be cool if that book existed.. and there it is. Star Citizen has already been completed, it's right there in the Library of Babel.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

ZenMaster posted:

goon effort is great, long live the stimperor

o9

0.001 hours thinking "hey a word cloud of this thread would be nice"
0.5 hours waiting to download all pages
0.25 hours cleaning up html files that only the text in posts and quotes remains
1.0 hours trying to find a wordcloud-generator that can deal with a lot of text without crashing browser/application
0.75 hours looking for a way to just count the appearances of words to get the top 500 or something and reduce filesize

I learned a lot, but give up for today. One webpage and OpenOffice are still frozen trying to open the file. If anyone is interested to continue before I'll get to it in "a while", here's all the text goons produced on the first 2067 pages in a 17MB text file (posts in non-specific order).
http://starbutt.hol.es/outputfile.txt

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!
I'm addicted to library of babel for dumb reasons, and I even post on its lovely forum. I'm not even sure why I find it compelling.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I approve of this development

A while ago a hedgehog walked up to me and began nibbling at my toes :3:

sorry for lovely image quality:

Someone must have been feeding it for it to be so tame :(

Anyway it was incredibly cute. I made sure to scare it slightly though, to not make matters worse

You wont think it was cute at the next full moon.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

spacetoaster posted:

I love the library of babel. the concept is incredible to say the least.

The simple fact that the entire knowledge of man kind... The entire Has Been and Will Be of humanity, has been written out within the Library of Babel, is so amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDrBIKOR01c&t=1025s for the idea on how it works.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

peter gabriel posted:

Here is my LETS PLAY of Line Of A Fence

It was a hard video to make, I ended up with 18 minutes and just cut out dull bits / loading screens mainly.

I decided to do an editorial on Derek at the start in case people do not know who he is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRFCmI544HI

:lol:

god drat that funny. i think my favorite part is when you were trying to spawn a ship at the dell, then turned around and the lighting/shadows were gone, then you just turned back around like "nope. that not real."

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
Meanwhile, in Elite...

I can only imagine Chris' horror when epic moments spontaneously happen in Braben's game. Chris fakes his epic gameplay moments with 'in engine' videos and has gotten so much mileage out of it... but so little comes out of the gameplay itself that they instead industrialize their glitch video output and panhandle for backer videos, hoping that somebody, anybody, managed to record themselves doing something interesting in their boring rear end game...

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

spacetoaster posted:

There is no such thing as free will or star citizen

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

RabbitWizard posted:

o9

0.001 hours thinking "hey a word cloud of this thread would be nice"
0.5 hours waiting to download all pages
0.25 hours cleaning up html files that only the text in posts and quotes remains
1.0 hours trying to find a wordcloud-generator that can deal with a lot of text without crashing browser/application
0.75 hours looking for a way to just count the appearances of words to get the top 500 or something and reduce filesize

I learned a lot, but give up for today. One webpage and OpenOffice are still frozen trying to open the file. If anyone is interested to continue before I'll get to it in "a while", here's all the text goons produced on the first 2067 pages in a 17MB text file (posts in non-specific order).
http://starbutt.hol.es/outputfile.txt

I found a matlab program that does word clouds and might take try making one later this week if I get a chance.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6391889/#Comment_6391889

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe
Problem: CIG is not releasing anything parpworthy. I rather wonder & suspect that they have focus groups or whatever (using backer money?) who have told them that SA is dictating the narative, eg: Pgabz takes the piss out of the awful Freelancer cockpit letterbox viewhole thing, and lo and behold, next patch it's slightly larger. Now let's not all get swelled heads, CIG have and are killing through moderator control/bans any kind of discussion of SC shortcomings on the RSI forums. By doing this they are achieveing two things: alienating a small but significant number of backers who have decided to come here because we have free speech & giving an illusion to the outside world that eveything is fine, nothing to see here. SA has effectively taken the interwebs high ground, shooting down at the joke that is SC - there can be few regular RSI forum posters who are not aware of Goons Taking The Piss. CIG solution: diminish news/content release. They have realised (from watching the thread) that if they stay silent that we eat ourselves on slow news days/weeks... months... and end up circlejerking about Bens weight or other irrelevant poo poo. Remember that we are - to borrow a highbrow term - speaking truth to power. None of the regular news outlets are willing to be the first to jump: as has been pointed out ad infinitum on previous pages of the thread the games journalists will not, until it is blindingly obvious, dare to do any kind of hit piece on SC.

Solution: Post Catte pics, recipies, silly vids (looking at you Pgabz) hosed about with classic art, etc. We need to generate content like they can't while we wait for them to produce their lovely content for us to mock

at least, that's what I "think".

Galarox fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Feb 22, 2016

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Ag Bengip posted:

Isn't this what evil androids call humans

It's what my fiance referred to herself in a picture text message 2 days before she passed away in the hospital. It's actually a term of endearment from me but they'd never know. The text read "here's a photo from your favorite meatbag." She had a wonderful sense of humor.

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

I'll agree it is good if its making others think about their own situation. As the same time though can it not also be argued that it inadvertently shames others as well?

How would someone who is overweight feel if all they see is people laughing at someone over that very reason? How would it not be possible that those people would become even more concerned that they are being judged over their weight? Especially with so much clear fat shaming happening?

Has it helped some, sure. But there's always two sides. I mean gently caress, just posting this will probably lead to, "oh you must be fat". And how would that help anyone? Yet that's what happens.

People, not you, hide behind this " oh I'm helping", but jokes at someone's expense, whether fat or whatever, don't help people. If anything it drives people to eat more due to depression etc.

My main point though is, and always has been, it doesn't help the perception of this thread nor does it add anything of substance to the conversation. If people want to discuss Ben's weight then why not created a thread all about that? Rather then, were bored let's make fun of Ben. Which seems to happens every time there is a lull in drama.

This happens every year. CIG goes all out with content (and hilarity) during the November/December timeframe, and then magically when the new year happens there is nothing to talk about for months. When that happens the thread inevitably descends into badposting and talking about stupid poo poo... like how lovely the thread is.

People make fun of Ben because he's an easy target. I don't like it (and personally I try to avoid it), but he is the face of CIG and what little content we do have typically involves him to some extent. We could make fun of him for being a liar or a sycophant, but all of that ground is well tread. We could make fun of Dolvak for being a spineless coward, but that has run its course as well. We could make fun of Sandi being a callous narcissist who thrives on the misery of others, but there's only so many times you can be astounded at how truly terrible a person is before you lose interest. We could be making fun of Star Citizen but what's the point? Goons thrive on novelty and at this point Ben struggling to get off a couch and Dolvak running with his tail between his legs is the closest thing we have to something new. Nothing is going to change unless CIG reveals something new and interesting.

As for helping the "perception of this thread" who the gently caress cares? We're Goons, we're horrible people, and frankly giving a poo poo about what a bench of self-entitled spaceship addicts thinks of us is a terrible idea.

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015

Darkpriest667 posted:

It's what my fiance referred to herself in a picture text message 2 days before she passed away in the hospital. It's actually a term of endearment from me but they'd never know. The text read "here's a photo from your favorite meatbag." She had a wonderful sense of humor.

holy poo poo I cired I'm so unironically sorry I hope you don't troll

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

ZenMaster posted:

Serious post:

Good for you Beer, it was all the Ben talk in this thread that made me make the jump to a healthier lifestyle change. Started walking with the wife, eating more veggies than anything else during meals, or just not going back in for a second round. My wife is doing the same and that helps a lot (should we stop for a burger? No? Ok, babe...), she has always been thin, but as we age, it gets harder to stay that way. And being thin isn't an indication of overall health anyway. I got a buddy who is rail thin and has super high cholesterol cause he eats like garbage.

I don't mind being a little hungry, but my danger zone is evenings after dinner. I can easily have dinner and go right into snacking (popcorn, ice cream, cookies, whatever) which is not a good idea cause you just sleep and store all that junk up.

Easier just to not have that stuff around and grab some Smart Pop and water while watching a show. A quick banana or a slice of wheat bread to fill up the stomach if I get hungry between meals (or a bowl of high fiber cereal and low fat milk). I go for volume during the day to fill up (eat a ton of low cal stuff to stave off major hunger)and try to drink as much water as possible because sometimes a "hungry" feeling is simply being thirsty.. it's weird but true.

Ben, sounds like you are trying, but like anything, flee from temptation, even if that means quitting CIG!

Food, like anything, can become an addiction. The important thing is to know what your triggers are for your addiction. You've recognized when and how they happen. This is a huge step. It's how I beat smoking. The car was really the worst. I bought a new one and stopped smoking in it. I stopped smoking at the computer. I stopped smoking at work. Then when I stopped smoking it was really easy! You're on the right path!

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

CashEnsign posted:

holy poo poo I cired I'm so unironically sorry I hope you don't troll

No, that's a true story she passed April 11 2013 she had liver failure she was 29. We'd been engaged a year and had been together for many. Wonderful woman. No idea what caused it she was not an alcoholic.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Where do I click to get my handie from Derek Smart and/or Lowtax?

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
I missed the lowtax handies? :smith:

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

Where do I click to get my handie from Derek Smart and/or Lowtax?

Where do I click to get my handie from Derek Smart and/or Lowtax? You have to have a premium account to access this

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

I'll agree it is good if its making others think about their own situation. As the same time though can it not also be argued that it inadvertently shames others as well?

How would someone who is overweight feel if all they see is people laughing at someone over that very reason? How would it not be possible that those people would become even more concerned that they are being judged over their weight? Especially with so much clear fat shaming happening?

Oh you must be fat. :colbert:

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

Everything is better than just going "Oh he's just a bit big boned." "He's a big man." Though one doesn't have to swing to the other end of that balance. The Ben_rising.gif is more of a :stonklol: then actually being funny.

At least that's how I see it.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

quote:

Greetings Citizens!

Once more unto the breach, dear friends! Chris has returned from his journey abroad and brought Tony Zurovec with him, so things are afoot. Internal testing on 2.2 continues. Jump Point showed some fantastic new imagery of the Xi'An Scout in it's current state. I watched a music video by OK Go where they performed in zero-g. Basically, it's another day in paradise here in Los Angeles.

This afternoon we have Kirk Tome and Darian Vorlick on 10 for the Producers, answering your questions. No, not you. YOU. Yeah, YOU. Ugh. Behind you. Forget it...

Wednesday brings our Special Subscriber Edition RTV for February with members of the CIG Writing Team. Will Weissbaum, Cherie Heiberg and Adam Wieser will join us live on Stage 42 while Dave Haddock attempts to call in from his banishment to the UK.

Thursday brings an interview with Vincent Sinatra, QA Lead for the team here in Los Angeles and the return of the Wonderful World of Star Citizen as a segment on Around the Verse, as the show continues to evolve, including an increased focus on fan-generated content.

And Friday I'm in Love.

quote:

THE COMM-LINK SCHEDULE

Monday, February 22nd
- [1500 PST / 2300 UTC] 10 for the Developers: Episode 06 - https://www.youtube.com/user/RobertsSpaceInd/

Tuesday, February 23rd
- Jump Point Rerun

Wednesday, February 24th
- [1100 PST / 1900 UTC] February Subscriber Edition Reverse the Verse w/ Writers - http://www.twitch.tv/cigcommunity
- Vault Update

Thursday, February 25th
- [1200 PST / 2000 UTC] Around the Verse: Episode 2.20 - https://www.youtube.com/user/RobertsSpaceInd/

Friday, February 26th
- [1100 PST / 1900 UTC] Reverse the Verse: The Community Team's Weekly Livestream - http://www.twitch.tv/cigcommunity

probably 10ftc next week, then.

I predict a backlash from subscribers over AtV somehow having even less content now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

G0RF posted:

Meanwhile, in Elite...

I can only imagine Chris' horror when epic moments spontaneously happen in Braben's game. Chris fakes his epic gameplay moments with 'in engine' videos and has gotten so much mileage out of it... but so little comes out of the gameplay itself that they instead industrialize their glitch video output and panhandle for backer videos, hoping that somebody, anybody, managed to record themselves doing something interesting in their boring rear end game...

gently caress.

I need to step up my game and learn to actually make enough money to afford something that doesn't go *splat* the instant something farts in its direction, and then I need to start ramming whatever that is into these encounters.

• Locked thread