Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

Pomp posted:

evo is tentatively allowing ds4 this year

After your match, a caster crushes your DS4 in their powerful hands to assure a desync.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Pomp posted:

evo is tentatively allowing ds4 this year

Not according to the FAQ on the website

http://evo.shoryuken.com/f-a-q/

quote:

ARE WIRELESS CONTROLLERS/ARCADE STICKS ALLOWED?
No. Any controller that pairs with the system is not allowed. The only wireless controllers that are allowed are MadCatz wireless pads with a dongle.

Is there a different source for this?

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

fozzy fosbourne posted:

*combat rolls into thread, pulls pin out of grenade with teeth and drops it, combat rolls out of thread*

https://twitter.com/ultradavid/status/701853092753453056

pls dont act like guilty gear and blazblue are the same game, ty

e: actually watching this vid wtf is he saying? the only thing I got from it was "in guilty gear people use this button to poke/as up close pressure, except for the characters that don't, SFV works the same way"

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 22, 2016

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Maybe they should give street fighter characters instant kills/astral heats

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

"gief please dont stare at my boobs it makes me uncomfortable"

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Dias posted:

"gief please dont stare at my boobs it makes me uncomfortable"

nothing to worry about, it's kind of an open secret that gief doesn't swing that way

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Jmcrofts posted:

Not according to the FAQ on the website

http://evo.shoryuken.com/f-a-q/

Is there a different source for this?

https://mobile.twitter.com/EvilMrWizard/status/695056983687233536

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

May God have mercy on our souls.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

darealkooky posted:

pls dont act like guilty gear and blazblue are the same game, ty

e: actually watching this vid wtf is he saying? the only thing I got from it was "in guilty gear people use this button to poke/as up close pressure, except for the characters that don't, SFV works the same way"

Thx u youtube for adding the feature of speeding up videos.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Gammatron 64 posted:

nothing to worry about, it's kind of an open secret that gief doesn't swing that way

she knows she's still uncomfortable

gief i agreed to be your beard but please don't embarrass me publicly

darealkooky posted:

He himself on the description gives a more reasonable explanation:

"I guess a very good alternative explanation would be to say that the latter part of the video is just general good FG design, and those things were also present in SF4, which is *technically* true, but they seem more prominent now that SFV devs increased pushback, nerfed light attacks and nerfed certain heavy attacks like sweeps. So maybe it's not an ASW thing but it's a clear deviation from the many versions of SF4. An interesting topic to discuss at least."

But also how is a "nerfed" sweep more GG/BB?

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Dias posted:

maybe he means that sweeps in GG dont usually give you the time to set up an ambiguous crossup like they did in SF4, and you also can't do this in SFV because they don't hard knockdown anymore

of course that doesn't really make sense because:

- you can combo into sweep from everything besides max range pokes in GG, and that's basically the go to BNB for low level play so it's not really comparable to SF sweep that is almost always a neutral/punish move unless you do the shoto classic of jump in -> sweep

- you can cancel GG sweeps into specials so instead of jumping over them ambgiously you just do some other setup off a special move, while in SFV you just sort of sweep them and move a bit closer as they stand up from the soft knockdown

it could also just mean that "sweeps don't have super long range anymore (because nothing does)" which is the case in GG where your sweep is a bit shorter than your actual pokes. but that also doesn't really make sense because sweep is still your longest reaching normal for most characters in SFV

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
just make everyone elphelt and be done with it

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
they already gave t.hawk a gun and took it away

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

General Morden posted:

just make everyone elphelt and be done with it

Watashi fighto!

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dias posted:

she knows she's still uncomfortable

gief i agreed to be your beard but please don't embarrass me publicly

He himself on the description gives a more reasonable explanation:

"I guess a very good alternative explanation would be to say that the latter part of the video is just general good FG design, and those things were also present in SF4, which is *technically* true, but they seem more prominent now that SFV devs increased pushback, nerfed light attacks and nerfed certain heavy attacks like sweeps. So maybe it's not an ASW thing but it's a clear deviation from the many versions of SF4. An interesting topic to discuss at least."

Because now instead of sweep being your best long-range poke, characters have to use their "slash-like" s.MK, cr.MK, or whatever normals at midrange.

I still think the video is pretty dumb though, 90% of the things said in it could apply to any SF game.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I mean, SFV's normals system is just a simplified traditional SF system: lights are fast, short and weak, mediums are good all-around midrange pokes, heavies are slow, but have great range and the best reward if you can connect with them. It's a way to make it easier for new players to pick and play any character.

Jmcrofts posted:

Because now instead of sweep being your best long-range poke, characters have to use their "slash-like" s.MK, cr.MK, or whatever normals at midrange.

But which characters had sweep as their best long-range poke in 4 anyway? Switching from heavies to mediums I could understand as a point.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

Servers should be coming down right now and they expect them to be back up by 4pm PST. They just say "scheduled maintenance" but maybe all our dreams will come true.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

androo posted:

Oh shiiiit, I was all pumped to go to a big tourney today but I just realized my stick is PS3. Tourney is PS4. Is that not going to work, or will it be difficult to use?

poo poo's laggy anyway. I played at a small, friendly tournament over the weekend and my PS3 hitbox lagged enough that I was dropping some pretty easy combos.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
there's a good reason why novril was cast out from the anime fg community and it's because he's bad at games and a terrible person

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

on the other hand he made this video so maybe he's ok after all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hkpQoypf-o

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
Novril is at his best when making funny stuff but as soon as he actually talks about fighting games seriously you find out he has a lot of words and not a lot of thought.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dias posted:

But which characters had sweep as their best long-range poke in 4 anyway? Switching from heavies to mediums I could understand as a point.

Chun's sweep wasn't her BEST poke in 4 (she had about 3 or 4 best pokes), but it's definitely a bad poke now.

Characters like Balrog, Rufus, and T. Hawk tended to sweep a lot too.

E: I would say this applies a lot more in ST also, many characters have insanely good sweeps in that game (shotos, zangief, t hawk, balrog, etc)

Jmcrofts fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 22, 2016

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Jmcrofts posted:

Chun's sweep wasn't her BEST poke in 4 (she had about 3 or 4 best pokes), but it's definitely a bad poke now.

Yeah, I've lost a lot of matches by just falling back into SF4 habits and throwing out a sweep at a bad time.

It's safe at absolute max range on some of the cast, but it's such a fiddly distance that it's probably not viable for real matches. Being in VTrigger gives it better pushback and helps a little with this, but it's still pretty risky.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Zaa Boogie posted:

Novril is at his best when making funny stuff but as soon as he actually talks about fighting games seriously you find out he has a lot of words and not a lot of thought.

Novril's site has the most in-depth resources for Jackie Chan Fists of Fire on the internet, I have no beef with the guy:

http://drunkardshade.com/2015/11/27/fists-of-fire-newbie-primer/

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

https://twitter.com/evo2k/status/701810057256656897

I'm excited.

Bruc
May 30, 2006
What's a good character to start with in this that isn't Ryu or Ken?. I haven't played a 2d fighting game since the second version of SF4 so I'd like to avoid people that are very combo dependent until I get a decent grasp on the game. Something similar to Blanka in 4 where he had good normals and some pretty simple short combos. Picking this up tonight and haven't read up on or really followed it at all so apologies if this has been answered a bunch in the past, everything I've seen on google just says Ryu but I am just not a fan of him/ken and don't want to end up practicing with a character that is really hard to learn.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Bruc posted:

What's a good character to start with in this that isn't Ryu or Ken?. I haven't played a 2d fighting game since the second version of SF4 so I'd like to avoid people that are very combo dependent until I get a decent grasp on the game. Something similar to Blanka in 4 where he had good normals and some pretty simple short combos. Picking this up tonight and haven't read up on or really followed it at all so apologies if this has been answered a bunch in the past, everything I've seen on google just says Ryu but I am just not a fan of him/ken and don't want to end up practicing with a character that is really hard to learn.

I really like Chun, especially that changed the piano motion for lightning legs to qcf. She has some normals (both regular and command) that stick out pretty far too.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Ixiggle posted:

Street Fighter 5 broke everyones brains. It defies every sensibility and is truly avant garde.

nobody really wants to accept that the game sucks because if it does they have to be forced to this poo poo for another 10 years + it still has new game shine making it fun
if everyone says the game sucks and it tanks then its another dark age bc capcom is eternally seeking to get out of the fg business

the real lovely thing is that for p much every recent game capcom mostly listens for gameplay complaints early on in the game's public lifecycle and b/c people kept going 'everything is fine' we ended up with this shitheap where everything progressively got worse from the first public release of it.

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 22, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Someone convince me I shouldn't try to learn Karin as someone who's totally new to fighting games, because she looks like so much fun.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
you can play chun li at a beginner to mediocre level with just pokes, antiairs, cr.lp, st.mp, cr.mk into hk legs and simple enough punish combos and she's one of the few characters in this game with room to grow outside of her canned toolkit

Bruc
May 30, 2006
Cool, Chun was one of my favorites in 4. Are any of the new characters fairly simple? Laura and Mika being sorta grapplers looks interesting to me but I have no idea how execution heavy they are.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

Bruc posted:

Cammy has a few excellent normals and a great walk speed to help surprise people with them. I think all her combos are pretty simple, short of V-trigger shenanigans. One of her downsides is she has no standing overhead at all.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Dias posted:

Gouken's sweep was up there was one of his best pokes, for sure. Startup was like 6 frames I think? And it was safe unless you missed or got focused.

Bruc posted:

Good news, everyone has short combos and nobody has good normals.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Someone convince me I shouldn't try to learn Karin as someone who's totally new to fighting games, because she looks like so much fun.
You're fine as long as you don't lean heavily on her specials at neutral. In fact, you shouldn't use them very much unless you know they're going to hit.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I regret not getting goggles cammy because that design is neat

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

She's great and every time my goggles Cammy gets crushed by a normal Cammy I still count it a win.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Learn Karin she's fun and people get mad at her laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08ZbH_FBofA

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i get mad when slayer throws me and goes ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ whatcha gonna do? thanks for reading

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I traded codes with a buddy to get goggles Cammy and she is the best. I just with my arcade had goggles Cammy.

I might literally buy goggles Cammy for the arcade owner just because I want Cammy to be goggles Cammy at all times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Anybody know what circuitboard I need to buy to have a proper PS4 fightstick? I'm seeing conflicting information on some of them (PS4 listed on one page/missing on another page, something about 8 minute timeout, things about lag, etc).