Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Voodoo posted:

What's the over/under on number of WILD CARDS books that are release before TWOW? "Infinite" even if it's the correct answer, doesn't make for a very fun game.
I'm sure it's not infinite. Even if it's easy work, it's work, and we know what the mountain thinks of working. Somewhere on the internet there's a thread full of wild cards fans angry about grrm's blog posts about this dumb TV show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Low Energy
Feb 19, 2016

by Shine

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I'm sure it's not infinite. Even if it's easy work, it's work, and we know what the mountain thinks of working. Somewhere on the internet there's a thread full of wild cards fans angry about grrm's blog posts about this dumb TV show.

I can't really imagine organized Wild Cards fans. Or don't want to.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Low Energy posted:

Okay okay, it's just that group of authors who write the stories waiting on editing and still complaining about the jets.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Groovelord Neato posted:

jaws the movie is way better than the book.

there's a whole bunch of movies that are better than the book. it's a dumb quote from grrm.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

I can understand how Westeros is shaped vaguely like Britain, but it's so stupid when people start moving and turning landmasses around and then go "Look how similar they are!" If you're cramming landmasses together and rearranging them and spinning them around then anything looks like anything else.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Does that make Easteros Europe?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Essos is basically Greece and Egypt and Mongolia, with the mysterious lands of China and Persia off further east.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

counterfeitsaint posted:

I can understand how Westeros is shaped vaguely like Britain, but it's so stupid when people start moving and turning landmasses around and then go "Look how similar they are!" If you're cramming landmasses together and rearranging them and spinning them around then anything looks like anything else.

I agree with this, but having said that, the bottom half of Westeros seems pretty decisively upside down Ireland, looking at that. Having said THAT, while Northern Westeros has the obvious Northern England/Scotland/Hadrian's Wall thing going on, the bottom half is nothing like Ireland so, erm, whatever. Just laziness on GRUM's part where he couldn't even be bothered to draw a random squiggly coastline.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Low Energy posted:

I really want to take this opportunity to plug SA's very own WILDCARDS thread. I think its hilarious:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3501532

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Isn't gurm in talks with HBO about a Wild Card's show? We could be on the precipice of a new golden age of TV here. Are we gonna be able to see cute little Japanese like dolls for guys with squid noses?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kajeesus posted:

Essos is basically Greece and Egypt and Mongolia, with the mysterious lands of China and Persia off further east.

I like how The American Tolkien created his world by copying Middle Earth. We probably won't get any good Led Zepplin songs out of ASOIAF though.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Isn't gurm in talks with HBO about a Wild Card's show? We could be on the precipice of a new golden age of TV here. Are we gonna be able to see cute little Japanese like dolls for guys with squid noses?

Yes he is. Though it's not as funny/horrifying as the fact that Kingkiller Chronicles is also apparently going to get TV/Movie treatment.

Which is fitting, because Rothfuss is "the next GRRM" and like GRRM he's busy doing everything other than write the next book in his series.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state
The latest news that I saw regarding TWOW release date now mentions early 2017. I mean seriously, it always seems to be just 1 year away. Honestly guys, it's totally coming soon.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

OhYeah posted:

The latest news that I saw regarding TWOW release date now mentions early 2017. I mean seriously, it always seems to be just 1 year away. Honestly guys, it's totally coming soon.

Never google TWOW release date because there are all of these websites that then populate your google news feed that always predict some random date in the future with headlines that make you think there has been an actual announcement.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Cilantro is the most vile.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

July 2017 is the last date the publishers gave out as a release date. Though that was not a a set in stone date.

Edit: That was from June last year.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Find out the release date for George R R Martin with this one weird trick. One Fan's reaction will amaze you.

When this one Fan found out the REAL release date, his reaction went viral.

The one thing the Game of Thrones author doesn't want you to know.

This Game of Thrones fan's response to the release date is absolutely perfect - You won't believe what happens next.

kcroy fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Feb 22, 2016

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Cartouche posted:

i'm sorry you have not acquired a taste for this delicious plant

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blind Sally posted:

i'm sorry you have not acquired a taste for this delicious plant

I can't really imagine mexican food without it tbh fam

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

Cartouche posted:

You probably enjoy ketchup, huh

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Saw that this thread exploded with, like, 7 new posts. Thought the book might have been released. Was sorely disappointed.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

kcroy posted:

Find out the release date for George R R Martin with this one weird trick. One Fan's reaction will amaze you.

More like "The Winds of Winter to be released on..." conveniently cut off by the aggregator so you don't see "...some date in the future - what day do you think?"

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

I like how The American Tolkien created his world by copying Middle Earth. We probably won't get any good Led Zepplin songs out of ASOIAF though.

Yes he is. Though it's not as funny/horrifying as the fact that Kingkiller Chronicles is also apparently going to get TV/Movie treatment.

Which is fitting, because Rothfuss is "the next GRRM" and like GRRM he's busy doing everything other than write the next book in his series.

Harry Potter is already a movie though?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

kcroy posted:

I can't really imagine mexican food without it tbh fam

Here's what it looks like:

People who don't like cilantro, smdh.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

"don't like" as if you could grow accustomed to the genetic predisposition to tasting industrial soap on all your food.

As a connoisseur of all the bottles underneath the sink let me tell you I don't care for this Borox powder. Sorry if that makes me a big dumb baby.

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 22, 2016

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

You say predisposition, I say grounds for eugenics.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Cartouche posted:

Cilantro Forel deserves more respect, he was the hero who saved Sean Bean's daughter after all!

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I'll march into those gas chambers with my hotdog slathered in heinz held high.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

cilantro fennel, lord of his house, the first tong of tyrosh

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Krinkle posted:

I'll march into those gas chambers with my hotdog slathered in heinz held high.

Heinz makes mustard. I'll also accept beans.

Drogue Chronicle
Feb 23, 2016

by Cowcaster

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Krinkle posted:

"don't like" as if you could grow accustomed to the genetic predisposition to tasting industrial soap on all your food.

As a connoisseur of all the bottles underneath the sink let me tell you I don't care for this Borox powder. Sorry if that makes me a big dumb baby.

according to some researchers, you can, so i dunno what to tell you: http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2012/09/14/161057954/love-to-hate-cilantro-its-in-your-genes-and-maybe-in-your-head

quote:

Overall, Eriksson says these studies demonstrate that DNA does shape our opinion of cilantro, but probably not enough that we can't overcome it. "It isn't like your height, that you're stuck with. People can change it," he says.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Yeah, I mostly got over the soapy thing and can kind of taste what normal people like about it. Meanwhile my brother is stuck picking the green bits out of his nachos or w/e like a piece of poo poo.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You're a pathetic man-baby if you won't just acquire a taste for [thing I eat], but you're also a man-baby if you have a taste for [thing I don't like] :smug:

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I only eat lemoncakes.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The lemoncakes go straight to my tummy.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Space Pussy posted:

You probably enjoy ketchup, huh

Are you really attempting to condiment shame?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Kajeesus posted:

You're a pathetic grrm-fan if you won't just acquire a taste for [thing I eat], but you're also a grrm-fanif you have a taste for [thing I don't like] :smug:

ftfy

welcume 2 the bad thred

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I'm very much enjoying that every time HBO Now runs its ad on twitter and Facebook the comments are like "OMG you spoiled that Jon Snow isn't dead" and then 50 people reply to that "OMG you dick we didn't know that!" and apparently none of the fans of this show have seen this show before.

Cartouche posted:

If you hate cilantro it's because you have a genetic disorder. Please keep reading bad fantasy novels about child molesters and incest instead of breeding.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Oh yeah, they killed off Jon Snow didn't they? Wonder what he warged into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Lovers of cilantro probably also smoke cloves.