Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RasterPunk
Aug 24, 2015

In Trifoce Heroes that text flying across the screen is something I've seen a lot with some of the Japanese apps I've been using.There's one that does news and stuff and it'd feature all their comments flying right to left like that. I wonder if it's just a thing with them; an unusual choice for a video game considering it's covering most of the screen. It's busy to look at even with phones.

At least there's a button to shut it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

RasterPunk posted:

Zelda has become pretty far removed from itself along with most other Nintendo franchises; they're at the point of nothing more than famous names to bank off their success with new smaller ideas to ride the coattails. At the very least even if they are shells it's neat to see Nintendo experimenting with all kinds of styles. I could just imagine though what this game would be like if they treated it as its own game; to go full on with the style at a level of Grim Fandango or Guacamelee without any Zelda baggage.

It's something I've only seen developers like Looking Glass do; their consistency was based more around their engine rather than settings or characters; they made System Shock, then Thief with the same engine. They could do the same with Zelda.

I don't know. Link Between Worlds is very much a 2D Zelda game with a handful of changes as they usually do. TFH I can see where you're coming from but there were previous co-op Zelda games that are laid out fairly similarly, even if there's new, good mechanics.

I'd like to see Nintendo try a little more with some new IPs as well, and there's some hope for it with the success of Splatoon. As a large company though, they are a little resistant to the risks of new, untested ideas. We'll just have to wait and see what they do from here.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Hmm...three heroes with terrible fashion sense...

We're talking about Enrique, Gilder, and Drachma, right?

That's a joke right? Gilder is probably the best dressed character in the entire game!

RasterPunk posted:

Zelda has become pretty far removed from itself along with most other Nintendo franchises; they're at the point of nothing more than famous names to bank off their success with new smaller ideas to ride the coattails. At the very least even if they are shells it's neat to see Nintendo experimenting with all kinds of styles. I could just imagine though what this game would be like if they treated it as its own game; to go full on with the style at a level of Grim Fandango or Guacamelee without any Zelda baggage.

It's something I've only seen developers like Looking Glass do; their consistency was based more around their engine rather than settings or characters; they made System Shock, then Thief with the same engine. They could do the same with Zelda.

What?

Zelda's been sticking to the formula and probably better than the rest have. Top down adventure game or something closer to an actual full game like Majora's Mask and that's basically all the variation you get without looking at Link's Crossbow Training. Meanwhile you've got Mario Paint, Mario Teach Typing, Mario Party, Paper Mario, Mario Kart, Mario Pinball, Mario Tennis, Mario Golf, Mario & Sonic at the Olympic games, Superstar Saga, and Luigi's Mansion. And Kirby's got Tilt & Tumble, Canvas Curse, and Air Ride. The only series that rigidly decides what type of game they are and don't make any moves to venture out of that zone are Fire Emblem and Punch Out.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

RasterPunk posted:

In Trifoce Heroes that text flying across the screen is something I've seen a lot with some of the Japanese apps I've been using.There's one that does news and stuff and it'd feature all their comments flying right to left like that. I wonder if it's just a thing with them; an unusual choice for a video game considering it's covering most of the screen. It's busy to look at even with phones.

At least there's a button to shut it off.

In Japanese tv shows you see text appearing in the middle of the screen constantly too. And it's kinda a thing in Dangan Ronpa as well, but there it's required for a minigame.

RasterPunk
Aug 24, 2015

RareAcumen posted:

What?

Zelda's been sticking to the formula and probably better than the rest have. Top down adventure game or something closer to an actual full game like Majora's Mask and that's basically all the variation you get without looking at Link's Crossbow Training. Meanwhile you've got Mario Paint, Mario Teach Typing, Mario Party, Paper Mario, Mario Kart, Mario Pinball, Mario Tennis, Mario Golf, Mario & Sonic at the Olympic games, Superstar Saga, and Luigi's Mansion. And Kirby's got Tilt & Tumble, Canvas Curse, and Air Ride. The only series that rigidly decides what type of game they are and don't make any moves to venture out of that zone are Fire Emblem and Punch Out.

The core gameplay is pretty faithful and perfectly enjoyable for any generation.

My perspective on this is personal, holds no water on a business standpoint, and does not speak for everyone. The following is what goes on in my head whenever I encounter this.

Zelda still plays like Zelda, but something feels wrong about this. The moment Twilight Princess came along is the moment I thought "This Zelda game would probably have been a lot more interesting if it wasn't Zelda". It's a new adventure, but why is it so predictable? Why does it feel fake this time? Okami could be considered a game just like Zelda to the point you could fool a person into believing it was a Nintendo game, so why did I enjoy it if I can't enjoy a new Zelda game?

This is pretty typical symptom when following decade long franchises.

I had recently just discovered Hunter x Hunter 1999 a year ago and watched it all the way to Greed Island where it pseudo ends. I'd then pick up the series with Hunter x Hunter 2011 skipping all the way up to the Chimera Ant arc which picks up where 1999 left off. What was once Dragonball meets Yu-Gi-Oh became Starship Troopers 2 meets Jo Jo's Bizarre Adventure; edgy, dark, disgusting, and Xtreme. It's a natural phenomenon, certain flavors of ideas and execution are a product of who the artists were during their age, what they were exposed to during the 1990's vs 2010's, and aesthetics affected by limitations.

So why would I like Jo Jo's Bizarre Adventure in all its darkness and edginess, but not Hunter x Hunter 2011? Because that's what Jo Jo's Bizarre Adventure was, but what Hunter x Hunter became; it mutated more than it developed; it's like a friend being switched out for someone else, but pretending to be the old friend; it's uncanny and empty. It makes me wish Hunter x Hunter just ended; at least the ending of Greed Island 2000 could be considered a good enough ending. The Chimera Ant arc was really enjoyable and a surprisingly touching ending which is why I pretend it's entirely its own show beginning to end.

I feel the same way about Zelda; I considered Skyward Sword the end of the franchise for me as it felt like it wrapped everything up by giving all my previous adventures context.

Long running franchises mutated by the times often feels like remakes to me; they become so mutated they no longer contain the same charm that made me like them. It's why I often prefer something new since it won't become a post-modern version of something I had already seen. I watch a lot of anime like Hunter x Hunter and play a lot of games like Zelda; all it really needs to retain the same mechanics of those adventures so that they can create a completely new adventure. With Zelda its story is so disgustingly cliche and transparent, just like Mario it's become nothing more than a meme; content almost made to be dropped and forgotten like some kind of excuse because we need those brand names. I've been disgruntled with Resident Evil for a good while and during Revelation 2 I chuckled at all of Barry's nods to his old character, but at the same time thinking "man I just wish I could have a new franchise instead."; I no longer felt like I was playing Resident Evil, I felt like I was playing a Resident Evil meme.

That's what all these games feel like to me; Zelda, Mario, Kirby, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, etc. Cowboy Bebop is one of my most favorite shows because it ended and never came back.

A long way of explaining why this particular person is usually never excited about most sequels, additions, and/or remakes especially with this particular game. There's no solution for this, these franchises will continue to run like they are since new players born every year will experience these as if they were new adventures, it's just this 90's kid who has to look elsewhere for new adventures.

Thus why a person like me would say "I wish Triforce Heroes wasn't a Zelda game."

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

:stare:

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
:therapy:

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
haha what the gently caress

evilspacehopper
Oct 10, 2012

Hinawa remembered in death as she was in life: endlessly eating birds.
Wait, you think Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is dark and edgy?

Well anyway, Tri-Force Heroes is pretty much the Zelda formula streamlined for a multiplayer mode. It's short Zelda style stages to keep the players together without someone wandering off while stuff needs doing. Plus short stages helps when you need to bring three people together for a certain amount of time, if they were long dungeons it'd be hard to keep the party together all the way to completion. So really it's changing the formula just a bit to have that online multiplayer work. The clothes thing is just your avarage Zelda gimmick they've been doing for a long time now. I guess the setting is a little different but it's nothing too radical like a future setting or anything.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RasterPunk posted:

The core gameplay is pretty faithful and perfectly enjoyable for any generation.

My perspective on this is personal, holds no water on a business standpoint, and does not speak for everyone. The following is what goes on in my head whenever I encounter this.

Zelda still plays like Zelda, but something feels wrong about this. The moment Twilight Princess came along is the moment I thought "This Zelda game would probably have been a lot more interesting if it wasn't Zelda". It's a new adventure, but why is it so predictable? Why does it feel fake this time? Okami could be considered a game just like Zelda to the point you could fool a person into believing it was a Nintendo game, so why did I enjoy it if I can't enjoy a new Zelda game?

This is pretty typical symptom when following decade long franchises.

I had recently just discovered Hunter x Hunter 1999 a year ago and watched it all the way to Greed Island where it pseudo ends. I'd then pick up the series with Hunter x Hunter 2011 skipping all the way up to the Chimera Ant arc which picks up where 1999 left off. What was once Dragonball meets Yu-Gi-Oh became Starship Troopers 2 meets Jo Jo's Bizarre Adventure; edgy, dark, disgusting, and Xtreme. It's a natural phenomenon, certain flavors of ideas and execution are a product of who the artists were during their age, what they were exposed to during the 1990's vs 2010's, and aesthetics affected by limitations.

So why would I like Jo Jo's Bizarre Adventure in all its darkness and edginess, but not Hunter x Hunter 2011? Because that's what Jo Jo's Bizarre Adventure was, but what Hunter x Hunter became; it mutated more than it developed; it's like a friend being switched out for someone else, but pretending to be the old friend; it's uncanny and empty. It makes me wish Hunter x Hunter just ended; at least the ending of Greed Island 2000 could be considered a good enough ending. The Chimera Ant arc was really enjoyable and a surprisingly touching ending which is why I pretend it's entirely its own show beginning to end.

I feel the same way about Zelda; I considered Skyward Sword the end of the franchise for me as it felt like it wrapped everything up by giving all my previous adventures context.

Long running franchises mutated by the times often feels like remakes to me; they become so mutated they no longer contain the same charm that made me like them. It's why I often prefer something new since it won't become a post-modern version of something I had already seen. I watch a lot of anime like Hunter x Hunter and play a lot of games like Zelda; all it really needs to retain the same mechanics of those adventures so that they can create a completely new adventure. With Zelda its story is so disgustingly cliche and transparent, just like Mario it's become nothing more than a meme; content almost made to be dropped and forgotten like some kind of excuse because we need those brand names. I've been disgruntled with Resident Evil for a good while and during Revelation 2 I chuckled at all of Barry's nods to his old character, but at the same time thinking "man I just wish I could have a new franchise instead."; I no longer felt like I was playing Resident Evil, I felt like I was playing a Resident Evil meme.

That's what all these games feel like to me; Zelda, Mario, Kirby, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, etc. Cowboy Bebop is one of my most favorite shows because it ended and never came back.

A long way of explaining why this particular person is usually never excited about most sequels, additions, and/or remakes especially with this particular game. There's no solution for this, these franchises will continue to run like they are since new players born every year will experience these as if they were new adventures, it's just this 90's kid who has to look elsewhere for new adventures.

Thus why a person like me would say "I wish Triforce Heroes wasn't a Zelda game."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuL6cJPz3Nk

So, basically you're crazy because every artist is a little insane and also you're fatigued with long-running series of games as they tend to jump the shark in an effort to up the ante at times in a way that doesn't feel like it gels with the previous games in the series?

RasterPunk
Aug 24, 2015

I keep forgetting why I prefer in-person debates over internet debates. Some people are making good points against me, but there's so much I want to clarify because my main point is being missed; imagine if Pikmen was another Mario spinoff or if Splatoon was another Metroid spinoff rather than a whole new set of stories, worlds, and characters. I stated this didn't hold water on a business standpoint, but it's sad to see franchises stagnate over decades rather than companies make new worlds running on old engines.

In other words, why Disney's sequels always sucked, but despite repetitive princess story formulas, their new movies all felt unique and interesting; not much different from a new story with old game engines. Kind of like Grimrock; rather than a Lands of Lore or Stonekeep remake/sequel for all the "nostalgic goodness" it's its own thing, but practically the same game.

However if some people are just going to be all "Ha Ha you're crazy get therapy" I'm dropping this thread before this gets worse; you guys are clearly eager for a pissing contest.
Let's not let this blow up into a distraction from the let's play for everyone else so keep whatever quips or debates you have to this short.

I've written articles worth of all my points so cya later, let's enjoy the rest of this playthrough it's just getting started.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's not so much that we're eager for a pissing contest and more that your post reads like a schizophrenic writing a letter campaign to demand Nintendo rename the Zelda games

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RasterPunk posted:

However if some people are just going to be all "Ha Ha you're crazy get therapy" I'm dropping this thread before this gets worse; you guys are clearly eager for a pissing contest.
Let's not let this blow up into a distraction from the let's play for everyone else so keep whatever quips or debates you have to this short.

I've written articles worth of all my points so cya later, let's enjoy the rest of this playthrough it's just getting started.

Have you not been on the internet? I can see that you haven't been on SA for that long but how are you this thin-skinned? I joked, and asked a question about what you feel about it because I have a low attention span, am not very smart, and do what to figure out some part of that wall of words that your opinion is tangled in.

evilspacehopper posted:

Phantom Blood seems kinda edgy, with the mom eating her own baby bit, for example. But beyond that I don't know what to say.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

RareAcumen posted:

Phantom Blood seems kinda edgy, with the mom eating her own baby bit, for example. But beyond that I don't know what to say.

JoJo is 80% camp, and if you're trying to use it to complain about how edgy things are these days, you're in the wrong place. Phantom Blood was written in the 80s.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
If I may give my two cents on the matter, I feel that it's important to understand why the "Epic Yarn" treatment happens. As sad as it is to acknowledge, new IPs have a tendency to struggle on their own if not fail outright without the name recognition of older more beloved brands.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

hopeandjoy posted:

JoJo is 80% camp, and if you're trying to use it to complain about how edgy things are these days, you're in the wrong place. Phantom Blood was written in the 80s.

Note how I only mentioned Part 1.

RasterPunk
Aug 24, 2015

Crane Fist posted:

It's not so much that we're eager for a pissing contest and more that your post reads like a schizophrenic writing a letter campaign to demand Nintendo rename the Zelda games

That's what you call schizophrenia? Expressing opinions?

I'm making demands? Talking about preferences is making demands? Where in my comment did I say "Nintendo should", the most demanding is when I said is "I wish". Besides this wasn't even about Nintendo, this is about decades running franchises in general and how they mutate in a way that some old fans find them hard to enjoy. it was meant to strike up conversation about how we feel about that, not spend time making fun of the writer because his comments are too long.

If it was too long or unclear, you could have asked for clarification or like some others, argue about points they did understand, rather than the bone headed reply of "get therapy".

Almost like you're just trying to start an argument...

If your opinion is something like "I prefer the Zelda franchise to stick around because I still like it and want to see it continue" then you could have said that. Disagreements don't have to be insults.

RasterPunk
Aug 24, 2015

RareAcumen posted:

Have you not been on the internet? I can see that you haven't been on SA for that long but how are you this thin-skinned? I joked, and asked a question about what you feel about it because I have a low attention span, am not very smart, and do what to figure out some part of that wall of words that your opinion is tangled in.

Thin skin? Does my writing style make me sound wussy or something?

I've been in internet debates for over a decade and when most replies start with talking about the man more than the argument that's when I know it's going to be a waste of time. This isn't the YouTube comment section, I don't want to derail this thread trying to clarify everything I said because people are too lazy to read. Especially when the conversation became more about a user, not Zelda; staying on point is one of the rules here on Something Awful.

At least you were on point when you replied.

At the very least this is the last time I try to debate something on the internet, I prefer in-person debates. I wanted to delete that original comment anyway.

RasterPunk fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Feb 23, 2016

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
You came into a Zelda thread and said "Boy I sure do wish Nintendo would stop making sequels" and specifically instructed people not to engage with you.

Like someone said earlier, it's super hard for new IPs to flourish without either creator name recognition or brand name recognition. And if you're banking on the first one you get things like Hideo Kojima Presents A Hideo Kojima Project starring Hideo Kojima. The second one works out sometimes but you've at least got to adhere to a nominal theme in line with the game. The fact is that the reason this game exists is because Four Swords worked out okay, and Four Swords Adventure sold well, and the Four Swords DS remake also sold well. People want a "Link and his suspiciously link-like buddies slay evil together." game.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Kurieg posted:

People want a "Link and his suspiciously link-like buddies slay evil together." game.
personally I think it would be neater if it was Link + 2 non-Link buddies.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RasterPunk posted:

Thin skin? Does my writing style make me sound wussy or something?

I've been in internet debates for over a decade and when most replies start with talking about the man more than the argument that's when I know it's going to be a waste of time. This isn't the YouTube comment section, I don't want to derail this thread trying to clarify everything I said because people are too lazy to read. Especially when the conversation became more about a user, not Zelda; staying on point is one of the rules here on Something Awful.

At least you were on point when you replied.

At the very least this is the last time I try to debate something on the internet, I prefer in-person debates. I wanted to delete that original comment anyway.

The part where you made an effortpost that was kinda rambly and seemed to lose itself eliciting two and a half low-effort 'laughing at you' posts being enough to make you wanna abandon the thread is the part I'm talking about. You also seemed to miss the part where people were asking you questions beyond just laughing at your post which seems to be very much 'I miss when new IPs were made, now it's like Mario's a comic book character or a Barbie doll, he just does whatever anywhere! He went to space, he was made outta paper, he's a basketball player, and Olympic athlete, and a hotel manager! What's next? Little Mac's Mech Adventure? :corsair:'

You missed the parts where people were asking you to be a bit more clear, so it's not even like the entire six people were laughing at you.

RareAcumen posted:

So, basically you're fatigued with long-running series of games as they tend to jump the shark in an effort to up the ante at times in a way that doesn't feel like it gels with the previous games in the series?

evilspacehopper posted:

Well anyway, Tri-Force Heroes is pretty much the Zelda formula streamlined for a multiplayer mode. It's short Zelda style stages to keep the players together without someone wandering off while stuff needs doing. Plus short stages helps when you need to bring three people together for a certain amount of time, if they were long dungeons it'd be hard to keep the party together all the way to completion. So really it's changing the formula just a bit to have that online multiplayer work. The clothes thing is just your avarage Zelda gimmick they've been doing for a long time now. I guess the setting is a little different but it's nothing too radical like a future setting or anything.

I'm a honestly trying my best here but it's really loving hard because I'm having a hard time following what the point you're getting at is, like following a mosquito.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Kurieg posted:

Like someone said earlier, it's super hard for new IPs to flourish without either creator name recognition or brand name recognition. And if you're banking on the first one you get things like Hideo Kojima Presents A Hideo Kojima Project starring Hideo Kojima. The second one works out sometimes but you've at least got to adhere to a nominal theme in line with the game. The fact is that the reason this game exists is because Four Swords worked out okay, and Four Swords Adventure sold well, and the Four Swords DS remake also sold well. People want a "Link and his suspiciously link-like buddies slay evil together." game.

To elaborate on Kurieg's point with an example, Splatoon's success was a combination of good luck and good marketing decisions on Nintendo's part. It should also be noted that early in the game's production, it was actually considered as a new Mario game specifically for the brand name recognition before it was made into its own IP.

RasterPunk
Aug 24, 2015

Kurieg posted:

You came into a Zelda thread and said "Boy I sure do wish Nintendo would stop making sequels" and specifically instructed people not to engage with you.

Yeah? And? That's just like, my opinion man.

And it still stands, but I'm not going to Nintendo making any demands. I've made no demands towards any developer. And again, this wasn't the point of my comment.

Also I said this: My perspective on this is personal, holds no water on a business standpoint, and does not speak for everyone. That last one was very important. Basically "This is my opinion, I understand why sequels should remain, this is not how everyone feels."

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Kurieg posted:

Yeah and to bring in another example, while Splatoon was a success (as much as it could be on the WiiU), Codename STEAM was an utter flop, and that was a 3DS title.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

RasterPunk posted:

Yeah? And? That's just like, my opinion man.

And it still stands, but I'm not going to Nintendo making any demands. I've made no demands towards any developer. And again, this wasn't the point of my comment.

Also I said this: My perspective on this is personal, holds no water on a business standpoint, and does not speak for everyone. That last one was very important. Basically "This is my opinion, I understand why sequels should remain, this is not how everyone feels."

No one expects Nintendo to listen to you because that's an impossible demand to make. We aren't judging you for that.

If you had just come in and said "Man this game really isn't for me, the zelda franchise just feels stale in my opinion." it probably would have been accepted and maybe even discussed, because it does have merit. Nintendo went through a dark period around 2006-2012~ish where they just kept remaking the same games over and over again and when they did innovate it was simply for the novelty of innovation without any real improvement of the genre. So even the most biased nintendo fanboy will probably admit that NSMBU wasn't a very good game. They've done better in recent years by getting rid of gimmicky stuff(for the most part) and iterating on the formulas that made their most enjoyed games fun.

That said, you didn't do that. What you gave us was a gigantic effortpost that rambled on about anime and other franchises made by completely different companies with BOLDING and UNDERLINING followed by "This is just my opinion I don't actually want to talk about it." You've undermined your own point by making it look weak because it required a lot of backup from animes that some people might not have even seen or heard about and it's presentation is honestly fairly bad and juvenile. So you've not only invited discussion on the topic but have told people that they should be against you.

RasterPunk
Aug 24, 2015

RareAcumen posted:

The part where you made an effortpost that was kinda rambly and seemed to lose itself eliciting two and a half low-effort 'laughing at you' posts being enough to make you wanna abandon the thread is the part I'm talking about. You also seemed to miss the part where people were asking you questions beyond just laughing at your post which seems to be very much 'I miss when new IPs were made, now it's like Mario's a comic book character or a Barbie doll, he just does whatever anywhere! He went to space, he was made outta paper, he's a basketball player, and Olympic athlete, and a hotel manager! What's next? Little Mac's Mech Adventure? :corsair:'

You missed the parts where people were asking you to be a bit more clear, so it's not even like the entire six people were laughing at you.

I'm a honestly trying my best here but it's really loving hard because I'm having a hard time following what the point you're getting at is, like following a mosquito.

My point:

My opinion has no business sense, this is just how I feel.
What if Pikmen was just a Mario Spinoff?
What if Splatoon was just a Metroid Spinoff?
What if Triforce Heroes was actually something new like Pikemen or Splatoon?
I don't like stagnation.
This is just like, my opinion man.

Honestly this whole thing happened because I can't delete comments on Something Awful, so I just tried to explain myself after I was questioned.

I didn't expect my long comment would trigger this kind of response it's quite surprising. Definitely the last time I do this, I'll stick to fan art. I prefer to debate in person.

RasterPunk
Aug 24, 2015

Kurieg posted:

No one expects Nintendo to listen to you because that's an impossible demand to make. We aren't judging you for that.

If you had just come in and said "Man this game really isn't for me, the zelda franchise just feels stale in my opinion." it probably would have been accepted and maybe even discussed, because it does have merit. Nintendo went through a dark period around 2006-2012~ish where they just kept remaking the same games over and over again and when they did innovate it was simply for the novelty of innovation without any real improvement of the genre. So even the most biased nintendo fanboy will probably admit that NSMBU wasn't a very good game. They've done better in recent years by getting rid of gimmicky stuff(for the most part) and iterating on the formulas that made their most enjoyed games fun.

That said, you didn't do that. What you gave us was a gigantic effortpost that rambled on about anime and other franchises made by completely different companies with BOLDING and UNDERLINING followed by "This is just my opinion I don't actually want to talk about it." You've undermined your own point by making it look weak because it required a lot of backup from animes that some people might not have even seen or heard about and it's presentation is honestly fairly bad and juvenile. So you've not only invited discussion on the topic but have told people that they should be against you.

That makes perfect sense I didn't realize certain people wouldn't have seen certain shows. It also seems nobody likes bolds and underlines; I tried to highlight because the post is long, but perhaps long posts like that are a sign of rambling and highlighting is insulting to the reader. I started talking about other franchises because they were examples of how I felt about Zelda due to what was happening to them as well when they ran for so long. My feelings are less about Nintendo and Zelda and more about how I prefer new stuff with old tricks because remakes and sequels of old stuff can't really replicate the same charm.

But in the end...that's actually a pretty dumb topic because its just subjective stuff.

I can see now how badly I hosed that up, thank you for making that clear in justifying a lot of people's responses.

RasterPunk fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Feb 23, 2016

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
For future reference for everyone: you're all nerds and losers. Acting like you're cooler or more knowledgeable than any other nerd or loser is a pointless exercise. It just emphasizes how we're all just different types of nerds and losers. Now go forth and never waste this much space in one of my or anyone else's threads again.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

ThornBrain posted:

For future reference for everyone: you're all nerds and losers. Acting like you're cooler or more knowledgeable than any other nerd or loser is a pointless exercise. It just emphasizes how we're all just different types of nerds and losers. Now go forth and never waste this much space in one of my or anyone else's threads again.

So I'm gonna take that as a strong maybe to showing off the coliseum.

RasterPunk
Aug 24, 2015

ThornBrain posted:

I'll keep this as a lesson for life in general.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Sam Faust posted:

So I'm gonna take that as a strong maybe to showing off the coliseum.

:v:

I do have a solo video set up for Update 5, but I didn't do the coliseum in it. I'll keep it in mind for the next recording session. Having not gone into it, is it random connection only, or can I get revenge on Travis in it?

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

ThornBrain posted:

:v:

I do have a solo video set up for Update 5, but I didn't do the coliseum in it. I'll keep it in mind for the next recording session. Having not gone into it, is it random connection only, or can I get revenge on Travis in it?

I'm pretty sure you can fight friends.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RasterPunk posted:

My point: :2bong:

My opinion has no business sense, this is just how I feel.
What if Pikmen was just a Mario Spinoff?
What if Splatoon was just a Metroid Spinoff?
What if Triforce Heroes was actually something new like Pikemen or Splatoon?
I don't like stagnation.
This is just like, my opinion man.

Personally, I would play Splatoon if it as a Metroid spinoff. Getting to play dress up with a Samus or... Adam? would be cool. And I'm sure the shooting would still be fun too.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

RasterPunk posted:

That's what you call schizophrenia? Expressing opinions?

ThornBrain posted:

Do remember that this is the subforum where on at least two separate occasions I had half the thread I was in trying to tell me I was the crazy person and/or an idiot for having the capacity to tell fantasy from reality, and don't actually believe that, when I'm reading/watching/playing something, that story is for-real happening somewhere in real life.

If you want a debate you will get a debate, but you will also get a keen reminder of why they're called "goons".

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

Dr. Buttass posted:

you will also get a keen reminder of why they're called "goons".

Like the example you're giving right now by misrepresenting the other side?

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Cheez posted:

Like the example you're giving right now by misrepresenting the other side?

That's a literal thing that literally happened to me, at least twice.

I bet you're the younger sibling, aren't you?

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

Dr. Buttass posted:

That's a literal thing that literally happened to me, at least twice.

I bet you're the younger sibling, aren't you?

So you're not really able to say whether or not you actually understood what people were saying to you, which was most likely something along the lines of "what the gently caress is wrong with you if you can't feel emotions for a fictional character under any circumstance, you broken robot of a human being"

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Or "stop arguing about unrelated poo poo" means "now is a GREAT time to dredge up COMPLETELY unrelated arguements!!!"

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Even if something good was going to come out of this conversation, if the OP of a thread tells you to stop talking about something you should stop talking about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilspacehopper
Oct 10, 2012

Hinawa remembered in death as she was in life: endlessly eating birds.
So I have Tri-Force Heroes and I've never had anyone I can play with so I've stuck to randoms and single player. So far this LP has taught me that both friends and strangers alike will always throw you off a cliff. That's what I'm taking away from all of this.

• Locked thread