Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Solice Kirsk posted:

The point of the app is to make app money. So no, that's exactly what the app is for.

so did yelp start out that way or? I mean obviously money talks and once it blew up they knew they could just make a killing being predatory on small business'

I'm surprised a worthwhile contender hasn't came up yet besides Google reviews. Which yeah doesn't really get used

I love the little "we NEVER charge to alter reviews" spiel they do/did on the main page or whatever

Any worthwhile spyware/virus to run 24/7? Even any point anymore? Is the built in Windows defender good enough? I know AVG and avast were good once upon a time but probably bloated and shady as poo poo now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
1) it's obviously microtorrent :c00lbutt:
2) mse/win defender plus noscript

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Really every city needs a version of Check, Please! like we have in Chicago. Its a public access show that gets a group of three normal people together and each of them picks one of their favorite restaurants and they each go there individually and review it in front of each other. I found and tried tons of restaurants from that show and have never really had a bad experience at any of them. An awesome idea for a show and a lot better than typing "Thai" into yelp. Or just ask someone on the street what their favorite whatever restaurant is. I do that a lot in a new city too.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Snuffman posted:

The general consensus is Microsoft Security Essentials, if you're on Windows, is good enough for antivirus these days.

Antiquated programs derail chat: Has CCleaner been depreciated?

Not really, but it's not really necessary. You're not actually going to get a ton of benefit from anything it does and I've seen a lot of dumb users mess up their systems with it or do things they didn't mean to do like delete all their browser cookies or gently caress up something in the registry.

There are a lot of people out there who learned a few ok-at-the-time ideas about computer maintenance a decade ago and don't realize that e.g. defragging your hard drive isn't something you actually need to manually do on a modern PC.

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan
and shoot him into the trolls base where
ever it is and let him kill all of them. its
so perfect that it can't go wrong.

i think its the best plan i
have ever heard in my life
Learned a lot of useful stuff in here, namely that I need to get Ublock and a different torrent program and let my avast run out

basically I learned i don't know very much about computers

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

blowfish posted:

get a load of this loving nerd

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

mu. mutorrent. μtorrent.

who ccares

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Solice Kirsk posted:

Really every city needs a version of Check, Please! like we have in Chicago. Its a public access show that gets a group of three normal people together and each of them picks one of their favorite restaurants and they each go there individually and review it in front of each other. I found and tried tons of restaurants from that show and have never really had a bad experience at any of them. An awesome idea for a show and a lot better than typing "Thai" into yelp. Or just ask someone on the street what their favorite whatever restaurant is. I do that a lot in a new city too.

yeah we have Bay Area Check Please that's pretty great. i've tried most of them and been happy. they don't do them often enough and it's obtuse when there's actually a new episode or not :(

also fun fact: Obama was on Check Please Chicago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c6qzxXgV2o

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Nonsense posted:

Also I need to know of the anti- anti-adblockers.
dont take this as gospel but i read stuff like https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/refcontrol/reviews/ is good. it tells sites youre referring from google and eludes ads.

does unchecking allow some unobtrusive advertising in adblock plus actually do anything? i remember the early adblocker in chrome didnt do anything but hide the ads (or something) while still loading them in the background and giving the company revenue. i wasnt seeing google ads anyway because i use noscript and block most of googles functionality on pages

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

mu. mutorrent. μtorrent.

You could search it on Google by typing the letter U + torrent and it'll come up. But that doesn't loving matter because it's garbage now and nobody should be searching for it, mentioning it or using it anymore.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

blowfish posted:

That was the original reason for its name. It was the tiny unbloated alternative to azureus or whatever else. That made it all the more ironic when it steadily bloated in size, packed in ads, and tried to run a bitcoin miner on your system

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Thanks for the suggestions, have grabbed both the program and blocker.

More retail stories, they fascinate me. Someone should make a gbs/pyf thread, I could read them all day.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
To chime in on Yelp chat, just today I stopped by my local bar for a beer and a few games of darts with some buddies. I'm friends with the bartender who is usually there on Mondays, and he comes up to me and goes "Dude you gotta get on Yelp and leave me a review. Seriously just leave a review and mention me specifically and I'll buy your next beer. My boss will write me up if I don't get a review this week." I don't use Yelp or even have an account, so I made one just to leave a review for this guy and sure enough he pulled a few bucks straight out of his tip jar to get me a beer on him. I told him it wasn't a big deal, but he was so relieved that he finally got his review for the week that it didn't even matter to him.

Is Yelp this predatory on business owners? This place is small, they only have 3 bartenders total and I know the owner, so I'm wondering what kind of pressure Yelp could possibly be putting on him for it to be passed along to his employees like that.

Edit: or am I just simply autistic and underestimate the impact that Yelp reviews have on local dives? The top review of this bar is a two star review that states "this is a place only for local regulars and bar flies" the place is basically just a beer tap with a dart board I don't know what these people are expecting.

Iron Prince has a new favorite as of 09:34 on Feb 23, 2016

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

I found Yelp to be pretty useful when looking for a local bar or fast food place in an unfamil iar location. Most people seemed to rate even complete divy shitholes appropriately if they had a good atmosphere and reasonable service, and aren't just actually terrible places.

That story sounds like the owner's lovely way of improving his bar's ratings, obviously the higher they are, the better it is for the business.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The owner of the gas station I work for is obsessed with the Yelp ratings for some reason, except it's a gas station, nobody is checking Yelp before they get gas. Anyway all the negative reviews are from retarded people who can't figure out how to use a credit card at a pump

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Sounds like just a lovely owner more than anything else in that case.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
One time when i worked at a restaurant my boss asked me to write a negative review of their competition on yelp.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

thathonkey posted:

One time when i worked at a restaurant my boss asked me to write a negative review of their competition on yelp.

And?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

And then that other business went under because some guy on the internet said something bad about it one time.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Oh i said no and then im pretty sure she made a bunch of fake accounts and wrote more than one. Yeah sorry that wasnt a very good story. My point was that she didnt only watch her own restaurant's yelp page like a hawk but also her competition

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I just use Yelp if I'm looking for something niche or somewhere in unfamiliar. I ignore any review below 4 really unless they don't even have that

"Excellent food and service. That said there was some flies on the patio where we were eating. If I could give negative stars I would, 0 stars"

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
I always look up gas stations on yelp because I only want to go to places with good gas

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I love bad yelp reviews. I'd try to collect them if I ran a dive bar or something. Just totally embrace it. Like put up signs saying "worst Yelp rating in the neighborhood! Come drink cheap beer and flirt with each other. We're a bar."

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

I always look up gas stations on yelp because I only want to go to places with good gas

When I had a car I cared about, I would try to only fill up at "new" looking gas stations, because I didn't want to pump sludge from some underground tank that has been there since the 50s into my car.

The people who look up gas stations on Yelp are probably looking for "vintage", and I'm fine with them pumping rust and leached in rainwater and whatever poo poo into their tanks.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
I got a glowing review for a lovely sushi place removed from Yelp because it was obviously written by the owner. he made a dummy account with only the one review and he was dumb enough to use his initials and wrote the review the day after the place opened.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

My ex worked for a company where their entire job was boosting yelp reviews, and calling google/yelp to convince them that negative reviews were bogus, on behalf of clients. It's a cottage industry.

Also, I worked at a fitness store where there was one negative review, after a customer asked for a better price and the store manager threatened him physically. Rather than reprimand the manager, the owner called google/yelp to demand that the 'obviously fake' review be deleted. And then demanded all the employees make yelp accounts in front of him and give the store 5 stars.

Why yes, that store made $1.5 million per year in profit, why do you ask?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Solice Kirsk posted:

I love bad yelp reviews. I'd try to collect them if I ran a dive bar or something. Just totally embrace it. Like put up signs saying "worst Yelp rating in the neighborhood! Come drink cheap beer and flirt with each other. We're a bar."

There's a pizza place somewhere in California that does this, they give discounts for lovely reviews

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I don't use yelp I generally just ask someone I know or alternatively a stranger. "What's good to eat around here?" is a pretty good question to ask

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Captain Yossarian posted:

I don't use yelp I generally just ask someone I know or alternatively a stranger. "What's good to eat around here?" is a pretty good question to ask

Yeah, this is always the best option

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Its honestly the easiest way to find places too. Ask a bar tender, they always know the best places around them.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Captain Yossarian posted:

As long as you're OK with the occasional 'deez nuts' response.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

A small company my company is (was I guess) doing business with dug themselves into a pretty deep hole when the owner sent us a profanity-ridden, childish email complaining about something trivial that for some reason caused him to blow his top. This guy has in the past been pretty poor at dealing with changes.

On a whim I checked Yelp for that business (not really a type of business you'd expect to see reviews for):
2 reviews - one from an actual customer calling the guy a hothead and claiming he did the same thing to her (blew up when she pressed a seemingly minor issue), and the other is a 5-star review from somebody with the same first name and last initial as the owner :crossarms:

That's my Yelp story, the other one is more boring but was a good way to waste time at work: When I was a wage slave at Radio Shack I would browse the Yelp pages for all the RSes in the area and try to figure out exactly which employee hosed up and merited a bad review. Some were kind of inane "I went there at 9:30PM and they had closed at 9 instead of 10 for inventory NO WONDER RADIO SHACK IS FAILING SO HARD" but some were pretty funny "I went in to buy an iPad and the guy was so pushy with warranties and accessories that I walked out and bought it across the street at Best Buy instead"

e: actually they're both pretty boring stories sorry guys :shrug:

Snow Cone Capone has a new favorite as of 19:05 on Feb 23, 2016

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Mozi posted:

As long as you're OK with the occasional 'deez nuts' response.

I prefer that answer tbh

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
1 star, had a weird look, damp smell and few patrons.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Mozi posted:

1 star, had a weird look, damp smell and few patrons.

but enough about this thread :haw:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

drunk asian neighbor posted:

but enough about this thread :haw:

our your mom :haw:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Darth123123 posted:

our your mom :haw:

Line was out the door when I got there.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Thanks goons for the UBlock rec.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Sears is awesome because their CEO is bugfucking insane and clearly doesn't give even a quarter of a poo poo anymore. When there is light rainfall in Hoffman Estates the giant glass-enclosed atrium of their corporate headquarters is littered with trash cans and dumpsters to catch the dozens of unfixed roof leaks that have been getting steadily worse for years. They also love to treat their employees by arranging meet-and-greets with z-list "celebrities" pretty often so like once a month you get to see some poor billiards player or rodeo clown or some poo poo sitting at a table by himself in the middle of a completely vacant space, openly wondering how best to fire their agent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
Online reviews in general should be circling the drain.

It seems like such a good idea, but just about all of them are polluted by idiots who can't figure out how a product/service is supposed to work, obvious shill reviews, sour grapes reviews, and "received this product at a discount to provide an impartial review" reviews. If you've got a big enough number of reviews for a single thing, you can kinda suss out a trend, but even then, you still need to read for particulars.

If you go to sites that specialize in something (like for example, looking at electronic reviews on Newegg vs Amazon or Best Buy) they're still a bit useful because you tend to avoid the "this cable modem doesn't work with my DSL service" one star reviews.

I wonder if anyone is working on something like "certified expertise" for reviewers that gives people who know what the gently caress they're talking about more weight.

edit: I left out poo poo like ebay where it's now extremely difficult to leave a negative review for a seller/buyer, but easy as pie to leave a positive.

stealie72 has a new favorite as of 20:40 on Feb 23, 2016