Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Sakurazuka posted:

Ryu arms don't bend that way

ryu is a karate master, who the gently caress are you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Broseph Brostar posted:

I thought they saved the bad dbz fanart for the cheat codes pages

Editing the letter art section of a 90s gaming mag must have been the easiest job of all time, all you have to do is pick whether the winner is "Street Fighter only with different characters from pop culture", "Mortal Kombat only with different characters from pop culture", or "Mario and Sonic fighting in Street Fighter/Mortal Kombat"

Captain Invictus posted:

I like the evolution this thread has made from bad box art to just bad official art/gaming media halfassed art be it covers or otherwise

Most video game concept art was also pretty much garbage until two console generations ago.

Deus Ex

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

scuba dude is my favorite deux ex

NuttO
Oct 22, 2001

sold fifty gold sixty platinum
that feeling when you invest all your skill points in swimming

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I dunno if indie games are too low of hanging fruit

Sleeveless posted:

Editing the letter art section of a 90s gaming mag must have been the easiest job of all time, all you have to do is pick whether the winner is "Street Fighter only with different characters from pop culture", "Mortal Kombat only with different characters from pop culture", or "Mario and Sonic fighting in Street Fighter/Mortal Kombat"

Should I go with the 60 abs goku or super sonic drawn in crayons?

NuttO
Oct 22, 2001

sold fifty gold sixty platinum
i guess since the scope of the thread has expanded these are more relevant than ever

courtesy of twitter and nintendo power

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

calm.jpg

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Final Fantasy IV's strategy guide from Nintendo Power had a lot of 'amazing' art for it.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Rirse posted:

Final Fantasy IV's strategy guide from Nintendo Power had a lot of 'amazing' art for it.

Old Final Fantasy stuff was "putting angry eyebrows on Kirby" levels of trying their darndest to make cute and cuddly things look edgy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d15qmRzn2Pc

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

The Grimace posted:

:stare: Wow. "Oh, this is cute..." and then 5 minutes roll by and a dog pretty much kills the bad guy with farts. I'm very surprised I never heard about this game before now, given all of its strangeness.

Don't forget turning the bad guy into cat food.

drat horror queefs posted:

Whoever responsible for this should be hanged

http://imgur.com/Z9gkIhQ

I wonder how the game's sales would have been if they put Annah or Fall-From-Grace on the box instead.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Feb 23, 2016

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Here's an angry dust mite eating Kirk Cameron.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Lnights? Kovely proofreading there, Crystal Dynamics.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Breath of Fire and Breath of Fire 2 got some horrendous ones in the United States. From what I understand, marketers were terrified of scaring people away with anime.

For reference, this is what the blue haired Conan the barbarian fellow actually looks like.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Why was everyone so scared of anime?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

A lot was from before or during early stages of the big anime boom in the mid 90's and marketeers still thought that that anything 'foreign looking' would scare off buyers.
It wasn't just anime, you got stuff like changing the name of Bitmap Brother's 'The Chaos Engine' to 'Soldiers of Fortune' because it sounded less weird.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Feb 23, 2016

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
To be fair, though misrepresenting of the ingame art, those BoF covers aren't actually bad for the time though it's funny to me that with BoF2, they did exactly the same as 1 even with the character framing and posing but clearly told the artist to "pump that poo poo to 11."

This is hilarious and while it's awful looking, it matches the game title in :effort:

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

loving laughed out loud.

In Training posted:

A lot of these covers are cool.

I'm actually a big fan of the Atari 70s box art which, although kind of bad in the sense of being unrepresentative of the fidelity of the in-game graphics, and often fairly cheesy, has a solid style to it, and usually seems to be a good-faith effort at spurring one's imagination as to what all the blocky things could represent.

Game concept kinda abstract? When In Doubt, Put It In Space [WIDPIIS]

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

bloodychill posted:

This is hilarious and while it's awful looking, it matches the game title in :effort:

Sadly, I think that's from a 'design your own game' competition the UK Official PlayStation mag ran and not a real cover or game.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

Sadly, I think that's from a 'design your own game' competition the UK Official PlayStation mag ran and not a real cover or game.

It's a real game loosely based on a Japanese gameshow.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Huh, nevermind then, it looked exactly like the zero effort style they used for that

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

God the Super Breakout one is so loving rad.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

The Taint Reaper posted:

I dunno Mass Effect sold millions of copies, I don't think it's a specific subset other than people who play videogames.

Nice

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

A cover that promises to answer every Star Wars fan's burning desire to pit classic characters against each other like Luke Skywalker and weirdly rendered red push-upbustier impractical robot arm woman.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
The 90s were a more innocent time.. :shobon:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Slugnoid posted:

The 90s were a more innocent time.. :shobon:

I played that as a kid.

One random event: War in the middle East could disrupt travel to those airports.

:jihad:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

elf help book posted:

Why was everyone so scared of anime?

Mostly it was because the anime styles of the times looked very childish and it was popular to market rock hard abs and gritted teeth to the kids. This was back when people still sold Terminator 2 toys directly to children.

Our mario clone starring an unrecognizable blob of pixels needs more nip-nips!

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Feb 23, 2016

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Discount Viscount posted:

Game concept kinda abstract? When In Doubt, Put It In Space [WIDPIIS]

Haruharuharuko posted:

God the Super Breakout one is so loving rad.

The new 2001:A Space Odyssey remake lookin' good.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Sakurazuka posted:

A lot was from before or during early stages of the big anime boom in the mid 90's and marketeers still thought that that anything 'foreign looking' would scare off buyers.
It wasn't just anime, you got stuff like changing the name of Bitmap Brother's 'The Chaos Engine' to 'Soldiers of Fortune' because it sounded less weird.

It always looked amazingly weird turning Anime to a 80s Action Movie Poster

Case in Point: Clash at Demonhead

Original Anime style cover:

American cover

The funny thing is the American cover is 100% correct with the monsters/characters in the game. Its just looks like some tried to make a lovely low budget 80s action movie.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Spider-man's fortune telling arms are one of his lesser known super-powers.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Appropriate the Sony was still using the Spiderman font for PS3 cases back then

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Lurdiak posted:

Spider-man's fortune telling arms are one of his lesser known super-powers.
Sweet Venom and Wolverine tats too.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Wamdoodle posted:

The new 2001:A Space Odyssey remake lookin' good.

Yeah, this is definitely what they were going for with it.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Remember when BioShock 1 and 2 had some unique and interesting boxart, then BioShock Infinite's boxart was Dude With A Gun

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Remember when BioShock 1 and 2 had some unique and interesting boxart, then BioShock Infinite's boxart was Dude With A Gun
Wellll Bioshock 1 had decent box art. 2 just had the same box art as the first.

E: VV sorry should have put em up

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 23, 2016

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

What did they look like, for comparisons sake.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I remember Bethesda doing it with Doom 4:

Because the Doom Guy, the most generic protagonist imaginable (intentionally so, so players could more easily self-insert themselves into his shoes), is what you should sell a game based on. Especially now that his outfit looks like a Spartan from Halo instead of the original design.

Okay, okay, it's not as offensively bad as most of the boxart in here, but I still feel miffed about this one.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I remember this show!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Golden Goat posted:

I remember this show!

:stare: That's disgusting.

• Locked thread