Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

The worst fight in Marvel vs. DC, for my money, was Wonder Woman vs. Storm. Of course Storm had to win thanks to the legions of X-Fans voting, so we got a fight where Storm actually took a kick in the head from Wonder Woman, was dazed for about one panel, and then just hit her with lightning bolts until she passed out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Squizzle posted:

Since the whole point was to show all these characters slapping each other across company lines, that's some shameful, lazy work.

Surfer vs Lantern maybe, but it's not fair to blame the writing for Lobo vs Wolverine. That's on the head of whoever mandated that match up in the first place.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

The fight against surfer was dumb, but Kyle makes some bomb-rear end constructs

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

STAH.txt: that time Gambit and Wolverine stole Batman's car.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Squizzle posted:

STAH.txt: that time Gambit and Wolverine stole Batman's car.

I think that was one they were happy to just let go.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

He's not, that comic was insane.

I'm not hard to convince. :v: I know very little about comics but more than someone new to the idea of comic books. I know that there are a ton of Green Lanterns and a bunch of rings of power for different emotions, symbiotes like Venom and Carnage, and there's Kid Flash, Impulse, Superman Supergirl Superboy and Zod, and then there's all the Batmen, not to mention Batman, Batgirl, Robin, Red Robin [Yum!] Red Hood, Spoiler, and a bunch of Iron Man armors, a different Spiderman, Captain America and Thor [if only for a short while], and there're a bunch of Hulks now too that I'm not too caught up on.

Basically all my information on comic book characters is mostly just taking their default appearance and sticking with that. So regular Iron man and not his stealth polymer invisible suit that he made for sneaking missions. Just the iconic armor.

That's a long winded way of me explaining that I can totally buy Venom being crazy strong without having any idea. :v:

The thing that's always bothered me about Batman though; why is his mask open?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

RareAcumen posted:

The thing that's always bothered me about Batman though; why is his mask open?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I don't know if the 'Batman is insane' meme is still a thing in his stories but that sure seems like a stupid reason to leave himself open to all the toxins and gasses people like Joker and Poison Ivy throw at him.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
How long can Hulk hold his breath? Throwing him onto the moon seems like an easy win for Superman.

I remember the Wolverine/Lobo fight and I really like that one. Especially since Wolverine lighting up afterward implies they had sex instead.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

He's not, that comic was insane.

It's still real to me, dammit!

One thing I always found funny about the Marvel vs. DC stuff is how Marvel and DC each revisited the ideas years later without the other company's involvement, so they basically played the gimmicks with themselves.

Marvel did Contest of Champions II, which was very much their attempt to remake Marvel vs. DC. More 90's short fights between heroes. Quite a few shown in one panel (ie. Gambit beating Quicksilver by catching him in the throat with his staff) and for some reason entire teams got to act as one entity. So you'd have Deadpool vs. X-Force but then later you'd have Spider-Man vs. Domino, meaning that Domino somehow got two spots in the tournament. Like Marvel vs. DC, it had a couple vote-based fights: Deadpool vs. Daredevil, Hulk vs. Reed Richards and Hawkeye vs. Gambit.

A few years later, DC brought back the idea of Amalgam... only it was with their properties alone. Mainly it was Superman/Batman Amalgams like Brainycat, Doomstroke and Jimmy Two-Face, but there were JL/Titans guys like Night Lantern and Aquaborg.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Halloween Jack posted:

How long can Hulk hold his breath? Throwing him onto the moon seems like an easy win for Superman.

I remember the Wolverine/Lobo fight and I really like that one. Especially since Wolverine lighting up afterward implies they had sex instead.
He could last a long time, and I think they explicitly put in some stuff about him 'adapting' to new environments to bullshit it to even longer. He was hit into orbit as Gray Hulk as he was more concerned about the sun coming around and turning him into Banner than he was running out of breath. Assuming Superman hits him hard enough to land on the moon because comic books, the Hulk could probably hold his breath for the trip there and for the jump back.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Halloween Jack posted:

How long can Hulk hold his breath?

If he's angry enough, he technically doesn't need to breath. He's ridden through the void of space perfectly ok, sustained by his pure and overwhelming rage.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Selachian posted:

The worst fight in Marvel vs. DC, for my money, was Wonder Woman vs. Storm. Of course Storm had to win thanks to the legions of X-Fans voting, so we got a fight where Storm actually took a kick in the head from Wonder Woman, was dazed for about one panel, and then just hit her with lightning bolts until she passed out.

Didn't Wonder Woman also pick up Mjolnir, then drop it because she thought it would be unfair?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Didn't Wonder Woman also pick up Mjolnir, then drop it because she thought it would be unfair?

Breaking the only interesting narrative chain they were building between the face-offs, yes. Thor beat Captain Marvel by throwing Mjolnir to intercept the shazaming lightning during a Billy/Marvel switch. It worked, but Captain Marvel's lightning turned out to be so weird and mighty that Mjolnir didn't return to Thor—it just vanished. Wonder Woman found it, picked it up, and got thorred up before her fight with Storm. It was a last-page teaser and everything.

Then she said "eeeeh nope" and dropped Thunder God powers. Before facing Storm. And also forgot that her wizard-rear end bracelets should totally deflect lightning. :doom:

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Skwirl posted:

The fact that we'll never get a Walt Simonson written and drawn Wonder Woman/Thor crossover is a cosmic crime.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Lightning Lord posted:

The fact that we'll never get a Walt Simonson written and drawn Wonder Woman/Thor crossover is a cosmic crime.

As fun as Thorion of the New Asgods was in the second Amalgam set, I'd trade it in a hot minute to replace the Byrne Amazon (Wonder Woman + Storm) comic from the first set with a Simonson comic featuring a Wonder Woman + Thor character.

Cruising through cosmic adventures in a kanga*-drawn invisible chariot, thunderbolting suckas with her uru bracelets, probably made from a statue carved from Yggdrasil or something, maybe a Bifrost-themed rainbow lasso??? Idk, I'm just the ideas guy here. But it's a sin and a crime that it didn't happen.

*kangoat?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Aphrodite posted:

The Quasar one is always my favorite example.

The Flash is so drat fast that when his company's competitor decided to have a race of all its fastest beings, they put him in there and had him make them all look like poo poo.

Well, Quasar was written by Mark Gruenwald, PBUH, who outgeeked us all with his fussing over cross-continuity details.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Parahexavoctal posted:

Well, Quasar was written by Mark Gruenwald, PBUH, who outgeeked us all with his fussing over cross-continuity details.

He was the one guy to out-trivia Mark Waid, if I remember correctly. :allears:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Skwirl posted:

She also picks it up and hands it to Thor during DC/Marvel: Access (I think), while they're fighting Darkseid and Thanos. If I recall, it's the same page as Thanos saying the raining blood as the universes are being torn apart is the most beautiful thing he ever saw.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Marvel vs. DC also created a new character named Access, whose power was to travel between the two universes. He's also jointly owned by both companies, but I don't think he's been used in anything since Marvel vs. DC.

I'm kind of amazed he didn't appear in Multiversity.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

The blood rain happened in dc vs Marvel proper

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Apparently Access' last appearance was in a self-titled 4-issue miniseries. Probably says something that he was only prominently featured on the cover of the first issue. I can't even find any blogs making fun of this thing.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Little Mac posted:

The blood rain happened in dc vs Marvel proper

That's right. I only read that issue and Access #1, so I get them mixed up. Access was the one with Venom/Superman and Green Lantern/Hulk, right?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It's amazing to me how few superhero comics seem to use their powers creatively. They always seem to end up in punchfest or blast contest, with little strategy or trickery. These DC vs Marvel pages are just terrible about it. I mean, someone with weaker powers managing to defeat someone much stronger isn't an impossibility, all you need is creative writing! Non-american comics do it all the time. Hell, some series like Jojo are entirely based around weird powers and using them creatively to out-bullshit each other.

Sorry for the rant, it just bugs me when I see two superheros with cool powers just waste them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's amazing to me how few superhero comics seem to use their powers creatively. They always seem to end up in punchfest or blast contest, with little strategy or trickery. These DC vs Marvel pages are just terrible about it. I mean, someone with weaker powers managing to defeat someone much stronger isn't an impossibility, all you need is creative writing! Non-american comics do it all the time. Hell, some series like Jojo are entirely based around weird powers and using them creatively to out-bullshit each other.

Sorry for the rant, it just bugs me when I see two superheros with cool powers just waste them.

It is because these scenes are from megacrossovers where they don't have the time to really develop an interesting fight choreography. They have 2-3 pages at most and often less. Megacrossovers are rarer in non-American comics but most of them inevitably end up with iconic special attacks being spammed rather than creative trickery. (See: every fuckin' Kamen Rider movie in the past 5 years.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Plenty of American comics have weaker heroes beating stronger enemies. Just not poorly written publicity stunt ones.

Hell, Marvel Vs. DC even features Wolverine defeating Lobo (something that shouldn't really be possible even with the best strategy), and the writers just did it in the laziest way possible.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MonsieurChoc posted:

The final battle in the Korvac Saga has the same problem, because it puts the Avengers and the Guardians of the Galaxy up against Korvac, who has the ability to warp reality but is so far beyond them that he just shoots them all with power blasts.

The two best fights between reality-warping characters are Thanos vs Warlock's team of cosmic entities in Infinity Gauntlet, and Jaspers vs the Fury in Captain Britain by Alans Moore and Davis, because there's some creative stuff in there.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Mover posted:

The fight against surfer was dumb, but Kyle makes some bomb-rear end constructs

yeah that mecha horse thing was dope. I really wish hal did more crazy poo poo like that instead of "here's another fighter jet" :effort:.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Die Laughing posted:

That's right. I only read that issue and Access #1, so I get them mixed up. Access was the one with Venom/Superman and Green Lantern/Hulk, right?

There were two Access minis:
All Access, in which we learn that Dr. Strangefate had been hiding inside of Dr. Strange for a while, hoping to bring back the Amalgam universe. The Justice League end up in a kerfuffle with the X-men, during which Strangefate two-great-tastes them.

On my planet, it is a symbol meaning "Minority"

Mallbat, Right as Rayne, J'eann J'onzz, Cannonball Run, and the Abominable Merman

In the end, Dr. Strange stuffs Strangefate into a blown glass tchotchke he has sitting around, which recreates the Amalgam universe as a St. Elsewhere I guess? Then Access absorbs the universe ball into himself and Dr. Strange is like "well now chief, you now embody aaaaall of this difficult-to-exploit intellectual property, handle yourself with care".

The second series, Unlimited Access, retcons Access's hobo patron/mentor into also Access, as Access learns that he has time-travel powers also and can summon people from the DC and Marvel realities from any point in history that Karl Kesel enjoyed.also, he can combine them freely, expressing what is to the Amalgam universe what the Aloha spirit is to Hawaii.

After learning from Access that Access's mentor was, in fact, Access, Access must face an evil future Access who has pledged his Access powers to the service of Access Darkseid. In the end, Access prevails, with the help of some Access-created assistants.

Original characters, do not steal

Which is great, because Access not only has to face Access, but a whole team of villains cbined by—you guessed it—Access!

He looked at himself in the wardrobe mirror. He
stuck out his tongue. “Yellow,” he thought. The word
yellow wandered through his mind in search of something to connect with.

I don't remember, nor do I care to remember, how it ended other than that. Access probably did something.

Unless Kurt Busiek or, slightly possibly, Mark Waid has done something with the character since, that's the last I know of anything happening with Access or the Amalgam universe.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Monaghan posted:

yeah that mecha horse thing was dope. I really wish hal did more crazy poo poo like that instead of "here's another fighter jet" :effort:.

I think my favorite look at GL constructs is in the last issue of GL Rebirth when Hal's describing their construct styles. I really appreciated the differences highlighted.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Squizzle posted:

Unless Kurt Busiek or, slightly possibly, Mark Waid has done something with the character since, that's the last I know of anything happening with Access or the Amalgam universe.
Nope, Unlimited Access was the last time Access has ever been used.

Access.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Who's the Jesus there combined with Silver Surfer?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Squizzle posted:

He looked at himself in the wardrobe mirror. He
stuck out his tongue. “Yellow,” he thought. The word
yellow wandered through his mind in search of something to connect with.

Only one pair of feet in the whole gang.

Aphrodite posted:

I guessed Aqua-Iceman.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

Actual Jesus.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

graybook posted:

I think my favorite look at GL constructs is in the last issue of GL Rebirth when Hal's describing their construct styles. I really appreciated the differences highlighted.

I have the comic and I can appreciate Johns take on their construct styles, but Green lantern is a guy with a ring that can make anything. It's a power that just screams to have really creative, visually interesting stuff. One of Marz's best ideas was to make Kyle an artist. This just opened up so much cool things. With Hal, we get really boring constructs that just makes the ring seem like a waste.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

prefect posted:

I guessed Aqua-Iceman.

Oh that's true, there's no reason for Surfer to be there.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Squizzle posted:

Mallbat, Right as Rayne, J'eann J'onzz, Cannonball Run, and the Abominable Merman
The fact that Cannonball/Flash wasn't actually called "Cannonball Run" is a loving crime.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Okay "Thor-El" is a clever name.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

That's Martinex, not the Surfer, and he's combining with Horatio. There's a running subplot where Strangefate is merging members of the classic Guardians of the Galaxy with the characters from Hamlet. You get a very abbreviated but surprisingly faithful little version of the play, just cast as a superhero space opera. Some of it works—sections of Prince Vance Hamstro's "Alas, poor Yondrick" soliloquy can tug the old heartstrings—and some of our doesn't—"Hawkenkrantz and Guildenstar are dead, or, more accurately, one has absorbed the other's soul but then been forced into a closed time loop where he's reliving his entire life from infancy except he remembers some things from before " lacks, imo, the punch of the ol' Bard's original. But you could read it and judge for yourself!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Endless Mike posted:

Hell, Marvel Vs. DC even features Wolverine defeating Lobo (something that shouldn't really be possible even with the best strategy), and the writers just did it in the laziest way possible.

I always liked to think that Wolverine used his claws to turn Lobo's brains into scrambled eggs. He would heal from it, but he'd be mentally out to lunch long enough for Wolverine to be declared the winner.

Hulk and Deadpool have essentially used the same strategy to beat Wolverine before.

• Locked thread