Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

:siren: spinaroonie alert :siren:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BB_QNz2NqCW/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Looks like Reilly Bodycomb has a new program out:

https://grapplersguide.com/rdojo-sale/

Thoughts on whether this could be a good choice for babby's first leg attack system? I really liked Bodycomb's heel hook escape video that was posted somewhere around here a little while back. I'm not allowed to play with heel hooks or toe holds yet, but I will some day and so probably never too early to start getting a handle on the techniques. Would I be better off with one of his older DVD sets? This new thing seems more phone friendly which means I'd get more use out of it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Christ I need to get that turned into a .gif and tattoo it on my leg so I can watch it over and over before going to practice.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Thats cool

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Decades posted:

Looks like Reilly Bodycomb has a new program out:

https://grapplersguide.com/rdojo-sale/

Thoughts on whether this could be a good choice for babby's first leg attack system? I really liked Bodycomb's heel hook escape video that was posted somewhere around here a little while back. I'm not allowed to play with heel hooks or toe holds yet, but I will some day and so probably never too early to start getting a handle on the techniques. Would I be better off with one of his older DVD sets? This new thing seems more phone friendly which means I'd get more use out of it.

All his DVD's are very good. The seminar seems to touch a lot on the top-rock DVD and No-Kurtka Vol.1 and 2 (get this DVD if you're torn between a bunch of options). I haven't been to the seminar nor have I seen it either but I'm interested if others recommend it.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
The top rock stuff is roughly about leg locks via top control right? Because that sounds cool and like something I'd be more likely to actually use than Imanari rolls and similar fancy bottom entries.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Decades posted:

The top rock stuff is roughly about leg locks via top control right? Because that sounds cool and like something I'd be more likely to actually use than Imanari rolls and similar fancy bottom entries.

I generally dislike going for leglocks from the bottom, in large part because I'm not flexible at all, and normally get them when I'm passing guard. Consequently I can't pass guard for poo poo when I'm doing BJJ and leglocks aren't allowed.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Odddzy posted:

All his DVD's are very good. The seminar seems to touch a lot on the top-rock DVD and No-Kurtka Vol.1 and 2 (get this DVD if you're torn between a bunch of options). I haven't been to the seminar nor have I seen it either but I'm interested if others recommend it.
I've watched some of it, its definitely good stuff. Depending on what they're charging for it, it may be more worth your while to just get a Grappler's Guide membership and watch them there.

quote:

Thoughts on whether this could be a good choice for babby's first leg attack system?
Its great content and you'll pick up some things but he's not really showing a system. For a pretty simple and current system from the ground up I'd recommend Josh Hayden's 80/20 videos.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Kekekela posted:

I've watched some of it, its definitely good stuff. Depending on what they're charging for it, it may be more worth your while to just get a Grappler's Guide membership and watch them there.

Its great content and you'll pick up some things but he's not really showing a system. For a pretty simple and current system from the ground up I'd recommend Josh Hayden's 80/20 videos.

61$

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Decades posted:

Yup, it's exactly that. Very good stuff.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
Was going to ask this question yesterday, but forgot and it seems to go hand in hand with what is being talked about anyways so that works.

Outside of actual training on the mat, what else does everyone do to learn and practice?

I can make it to class 3-4 x week on average and I'm at that point where I want to spend more time figuring stuff out and learning, but have no clue really the best way to do that and apply it since I'm not on the mat.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I'm not sure I like that back take. He goes from an extremely strong leg drag position that is already pinning the hips into a roll that uses no hand grips of the limbs and limited hooking with a leg position between your opponent's uncontrolled legs. Might be challenging against an active opponent.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I wasn't going to put it straight into my A-game or anything. I was going to file it away next to 'cartwheel over open guard' as a comedy option.

Though I feel like the transition in the middle might have value in a scramble? (https://www.instagram.com/p/BB4GfLyI-l-/)

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.

Yuns posted:

I'm not sure I like that back take.

I picked up a similar routine from the Meows nogi and it works ok. I'm noticing that these highly-aesthetic maneuvers may not work out exactly as shown, but they do highlight paths that can be followed more slowly and with a little more control. For example, when I do this I stop to secure a back bodylock/crab ride, but the back take still presents itself on cue.

Coming from Judo, it reminds me of how many different speeds you can go from kouchi to seoinage. They ,ay demo the smoothest version, but we know we could do the briefest kouchi feint to set up the seoi, or we could do kouchi > pause > move > lift > seoi with similar effectiveness.

A Wry Smile fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Feb 24, 2016

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

His standard price for the site is close to $300 so if all you're interested in is Reilly's stuff then probably not worth plunking down. Two things though, 1) the site is definitely worth it just in terms of content and 2) if you can lay out for a while, he does runs sales where its deeply discounted (like $99 recently iirc).

Honestly you can't really go wrong with either of those purchases or the aforementioned Josh Hayden vids. I've bought all of these things (well, I just get the reilly stuff by having the GG membership) and cherish them.

Alfalfa posted:

Was going to ask this question yesterday, but forgot and it seems to go hand in hand with what is being talked about anyways so that works.
Outside of actual training on the mat, what else does everyone do to learn and practice?

GMB stuff lol. Also yoga, vids (comps/rolling mainly unless I'm looking for something specific) , mental reps (sounds trite but this is big for me), logging/journaling.

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Feb 24, 2016

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Alfalfa posted:

I can make it to class 3-4 x week on average and I'm at that point where I want to spend more time figuring stuff out and learning, but have no clue really the best way to do that and apply it since I'm not on the mat.

Keeping a training journal is huge and will help retain a lot more of what you learn during class and sparring. Also reviewing before class will help set some specific goals to target for your next roll. I watch a lot of youtube instructionals but its generally flowing out the other ear unless I write it down.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Kekekela posted:

GMB stuff lol. Also yoga, vids (comps/rolling mainly unless I'm looking for something specific) , mental reps (sounds trite but this is big for me), logging/journaling.

I think you're the 3rd person to mention the GMB stuff... I'd never heard of it prior to this thread. Worth it? To be honest, it's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for - a structured program for flexibility / movement / bodyweight strength

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Alfalfa posted:

Sometimes after drilling something, it can be interesting to look up instructional vids of the same drill online and see what other instructors emphasise/detail. Good way to get thinking about different ways to do very similar actions.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Vomik posted:

I think you're the 3rd person to mention the GMB stuff... I'd never heard of it prior to this thread. Worth it? To be honest, it's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for - a structured program for flexibility / movement / bodyweight strength

Yeah I like it and would definitely recommend the programs I've tried so far.

Only caveat would be that it's kind of pricey. If cash were an issue, I might prioritize some more jits specific purchases and make do with free stuff like antranik's site or the various related sub-reddits in the meantime.

e: testimonial: I'm a 45 year old anti-Yuns in terms of physical competence and can do handstands and poo poo now

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 24, 2016

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

How many of you wear a mouth piece when rolling? What about during competitions?

After taking a random knee to the temple and it making me all spacey the rest of class, I started thinking about if that knee went into my teeth.

Also, anyone have any instructional vids regarding escaping from side mount to either half guard and then performing a sweep, or other quality side mount escapes?

How we learned it in class just isn't clicking so I'm hoping to take those notes and see if I can figure out a better way to help me understand it.

Also moment of happiness came last night when I was finally able to escape from a brown belt and purple belts north south position since that seemed to be the default go to after they got me in side control.

Came from me watching videos and rolling around on my living room floor looking like a fish, but it worked lol.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Alfalfa posted:

How many of you wear a mouth piece when rolling? What about during competitions?

After taking a random knee to the temple and it making me all spacey the rest of class, I started thinking about if that knee went into my teeth.

Also, anyone have any instructional vids regarding escaping from side mount to either half guard and then performing a sweep, or other quality side mount escapes?

How we learned it in class just isn't clicking so I'm hoping to take those notes and see if I can figure out a better way to help me understand it.

Also moment of happiness came last night when I was finally able to escape from a brown belt and purple belts north south position since that seemed to be the default go to after they got me in side control.

Came from me watching videos and rolling around on my living room floor looking like a fish, but it worked lol.

I wear one all the time when rolling. Especially during Comps. Everyone regrets not wearing one ''that one time''. Wearing a mouthpiece makes me not worry about it. I would've cut my tongue prtty badly last week if it weren't for it.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Alfalfa posted:

I wear a mouthpiece whenever live takedowns are involved, but I don't generally bother for randori starting from the ground.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

any specific mouth guard recommendations?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Alfalfa posted:

any specific mouth guard recommendations?

I looked into it and heard recommendations for gladiator guards since they do custom fits and I think they actually provide guards for "real" professional athletes

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I Try to always wear one when actively rolling. Too many occasions where I've been glad to have it in.

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

Alfalfa posted:

On the mat = mouth piece for me. I took a knee in drills that chipped a tooth, and I've worn one since. I got a Gladiator, and while it was relatively expensive, I figure its cheaper than dental work, in the long run.

I do like my gladiator, they send you an impression kit which you send back, and then they send you a guard. I think you save some money on subsequent guards, since they already have your impressions: http://www.gladiatorguards.com/

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Alfalfa posted:

This guy knows what he's talking about :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7vmzcc3ldA

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Alfalfa posted:

I don't wear mine as much as I should in class but any time I compete I wear one. I will never tell someone not to use a mouth guard, its always a good idea.
I use a Shock Doctor Gel Max guard and like it. They may not be as nice as the Gladiator guards (I've never used one) but they are cheaper option.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

I use the Shock Doctor whenever I'm sparing and it's fine, but ordered the SISU 1.6 and should have it today. I got knocked pretty good in the jaw while drilling the other day and ideally the SISU will let me still talk and I'll start wearing that for all of class.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Always mouth guard, often when just drilling.

I have a dentist fit one. With insurance, it cost me $3, and it's so perfect that I often forget that I have it in my mouth.

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer

CommonShore posted:

Always mouth guard, often when just drilling.

I have a dentist fit one. With insurance, it cost me $3, and it's so perfect that I often forget that I have it in my mouth.

I would like to get a dentist fit one but my insurance is terrible an will cover exactly $0 towards one, they'd rather pay to repair my teeth apparently.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

n3rdal3rt posted:

I would like to get a dentist fit one but my insurance is terrible an will cover exactly $0 towards one, they'd rather pay to repair my teeth apparently.

Do a gladiator guard - it's a similar process - you're just not paying someone $X an hour to take the molds.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Or, you know, just get a $5-$10 boiler which will work fine because you're doing grappling and not MMA.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

I've learned that this went down to $51 with coupon code RDOJO10

Kekekela posted:

His standard price for the site is close to $300 so if all you're interested in is Reilly's stuff then probably not worth plunking down. Two things though, 1) the site is definitely worth it just in terms of content and 2) if you can lay out for a while, he does runs sales where its deeply discounted (like $99 recently iirc).

And then I bit on the rest of the site at $147. It does look like an obscene amount of content, and I got a raise this month, and I like to support people making an honest buck in grappling in general, and also various other rationalizations.

The 80/20 stuff does also look good but this should keep me busy for a while.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Or, you know, just get a $5-$10 boiler which will work fine because you're doing grappling and not MMA.

I agree in terms of keeping you safe, but the difference in comfort and ease of breathing between a custom and a boil-n-bite is massive.

Decades posted:

It does look like an obscene amount of content, and I got a raise this month, and I like to support people making an honest buck in grappling in general, and also various other rationalizations.
Yeah man good call, you can easily get your money's worth off of that site. The fundamentals program alone if really good is you're not already a destroyer of worlds.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I wear a mouthguard for everything. Dentist moulded ones.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies
I managed to chip a tooth just doing butterfly guard drills. Now I just use my mouthguard whenever I get on the mat. Though with the Sisu it's breathable so I don't even notice that I'm wearing it.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I use a shock doctor boil and bite and breath fine. Also remember: in through the nose out through the mouth.

I would imagine there's a distribution of jaw shapes and an off the shelf fits some percentage of sizes that are the most common.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I got some nice bruises around my eyes after Tuesday's class. We were training side control > north south > side control > mount and during that caught some nice elbows and knees to my face.

And with the current topic of mouthgaurds I'll be wearing mine now since I easily could of got hit in my jaw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Looks like I'm gonna give the Sisu a try first before shelling out for a gladiator