Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
autodl + cron, i would imagine. I've never used autodl, but probably should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Looks like GIGABYTE kicked out some Xeon-D boards, but goddammit, still only one x16 slot :argh:

I want to replace my server chassis (it's been off for the past 10 months almost because of a few dead drives) since I have some time coming up, and I want to go full ESXi-based infrastructure with a Xeon-D based system. Should see some power savings over my current i7-920 + X58 based platform -- I idly wonder how much I could sell that used hardware for.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So I'm giving thought to programs like Cryptolocker and how to defend a NAS against it while still being convenient to use. The idea floating in my head is to make it possible to read and write files, but not to update or delete them. Is that reasonably possible with something like FreeNAS? Is there a better way to handle it?

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

PerrineClostermann posted:

So I'm giving thought to programs like Cryptolocker and how to defend a NAS against it while still being convenient to use. The idea floating in my head is to make it possible to read and write files, but not to update or delete them. Is that reasonably possible with something like FreeNAS? Is there a better way to handle it?

Set up regular snapshots and have offline/offsite/cloud backups.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

movax posted:

Looks like GIGABYTE kicked out some Xeon-D boards, but goddammit, still only one x16 slot :argh:

I want to replace my server chassis (it's been off for the past 10 months almost because of a few dead drives) since I have some time coming up, and I want to go full ESXi-based infrastructure with a Xeon-D based system. Should see some power savings over my current i7-920 + X58 based platform -- I idly wonder how much I could sell that used hardware for.

Hmmmm this is swaying me towards the "build it" camp vs the "buy it" for my next nas/home server. Might go for the 1521 version to save some bucks. Where do you go for server type boards like this, usually ncix/newegg doesn't have much of a selection (although they do get some)

Perhaps Lenovo will stick a Xeon-D in their next TS140.. That'd be pretty slick too.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Desuwa posted:

Set up regular snapshots and have offline/offsite/cloud backups.

That doesn't involve configuring a NAS to be resistant to something like cryptolocker. Off-site backup is a trivial response and not feasible or warranted for all kinds of data.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

priznat posted:

Hmmmm this is swaying me towards the "build it" camp vs the "buy it" for my next nas/home server. Might go for the 1521 version to save some bucks. Where do you go for server type boards like this, usually ncix/newegg doesn't have much of a selection (although they do get some)

Newegg has a decent selection of supermicro stuff who id trust in server stuff a lot more than gigabyte. Otherwise you usually have to go to oem resellers. If you go to tinkertry.com, he's done a bunch of articles about his Xeon-d's and has links to where he purchased his.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

I have it set up so all available network shares are read-only, except for a single "Upload" folder. To move files around, I remote into the server with a specific account just for that purpose that has no other access.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Is putting a NAS behind a wireless repeater or on a wireless USB dongle dumb? I have my XPEnology box on some devolo homeplugs, they're meant to be 1200mbos but I only get 300mbps (according to the devolo app) which is expected I suppose, but it frequently seems to drop out. The NAS is still running, doesn't reboot or anything and the light on the homeplug is on, but I can't ping it. Don't know if having it on wireless would be faster and more reliable - don't notice it dropping out on my phone at all and I have a 5ghz router

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

FreeNAS uses ZFS as filesystem, which has snapshots. Given the whole filesystem works with copy-on-write, the snapshots are pretty lean, because only changes are stored. That lets you set up pretty high frequent schedules, including some convoluted ones like say every day for four days, then every week for four weeks, and finally every month for half a year. The filesharing services only deal with the live filesystem, not the snapshots. This should allow you to mitigate most damage. And even if the ransomware tries to be NAS-aware and navigate to the .zfs special folders containing symlinks to the snapshots (that is if they're even accessible over the network), they're all read-only, anyway.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Yeah, short of a Cryptolocker variant that can actually infect FreeNAS and destroy your snapshots, they're going to be secure. They might even give you a warning if something else doesn't detect it first, when the footprint of your snapshots begins to balloon.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I created a thread for figuring out how to access my POS My Book World, if anyone can solve the mystery and restore my sanity. Considering how annoying a problem it's been, I thought it warranted its own thread.

I placed it in the wrong forum, so it might be moved to House of Tech Support soon, fwiw.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Just use desktop shortcuts to the shares rather than mapped drives

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks guys, that helps a lot. Hopefully I'll have this thing up next week.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Are there any cheap ways that I can use a USB external drive on the network. Or recommendations on a cheap single drive NAS? I'm looking for something to stuff into an attic to do backups of a surveillance system.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Check to see if your router supports USB hard drives. Some consumer-level ones do. Otherwise, yes single drive NASes exist. Like this - https://www.synology.com/en-global/products/DS115j

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

phosdex posted:

Newegg has a decent selection of supermicro stuff who id trust in server stuff a lot more than gigabyte. Otherwise you usually have to go to oem resellers. If you go to tinkertry.com, he's done a bunch of articles about his Xeon-d's and has links to where he purchased his.

Cool. I've gotten a supermicro xeon-d server for work (5018D-FN4T) and it's a great little server. Just a little pricey, I think it was $1500 before RAM/Drive. If the gigabyte ones aren't much of a savings I'd definitely see about finding a supermicro.

Dream setup would be a box like this and an HBA connected to jbod enclosure. Probably overkill for a family storage box but what the hell :D

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

Check to see if your router supports USB hard drives. Some consumer-level ones do. Otherwise, yes single drive NASes exist. Like this - https://www.synology.com/en-global/products/DS115j

This will be in the attic where a single POE switch is, no router.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

FCKGW posted:

This will be in the attic where a single POE switch is, no router.

Single drive NAS is probably the best option, but if you want to use an existing external and performance requirements aren't high a Raspberry Pi and similar computers would be a cheap option.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I can't comprehend the taxonomy/nomenclature of Synology NASes, so what should I get if I want to get one with 2-4 bays? I mainly want to use it for backups (and remote backups like, idunno, CrashPlan) for use with bvckup and Time Machine.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

ufarn posted:

I can't comprehend the taxonomy/nomenclature of Synology NASes, so what should I get if I want to get one with 2-4 bays? I mainly want to use it for backups (and remote backups like, idunno, CrashPlan) for use with bvckup and Time Machine.

Probably some flavor of the 216 or 416. First digit is the number of drive bays, last 2 digits are the model year (2016).

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Probably some flavor of the 216 or 416. First digit is the number of drive bays, last 2 digits are the model year (2016).
Looks like I might go with the j model, then; it's way cheaper, a dB quieter, has low-power mode, and the only difference I can tell is slightly lower performance, fewer USB slots, and a slightly uglier look.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

ufarn posted:

Looks like I might go with the j model, then; it's way cheaper, a dB quieter, has low-power mode, and the only difference I can tell is slightly lower performance, fewer USB slots, and a slightly uglier look.

I have the 215j, which is totally serviceable if you don't mind not being able to transcode media.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
Apologies if this has been covered, but it's a pretty long thread and the questions (like the one about a single drive NAS above me) are fairly specific.

I'm looking for a price-conscious NAS setup in the 3-6TB range that will let me consolidate my music/pictures/videos and get to them from multiple computers, and potentially android devices (but that's a nice bonus, not a core feature I need). I don't really need to get to my stuff over the web, and frankly I think I'd rather only being able to get to it when I'm physically connected to my router.

Am I dumb to just plug a cheap single drive NAS into my router and call it a day? I like the idea of a RAID setup, but not so much the price tag, especially since I can do periodic backups on one of the pile of external drives I have kicking around (none of which is big enough alone to put all my media in one place).

I'm willing to spend more if $200 will buy me a flaming piece of crap that barely limps along and $400 will give me robust data storage with enterprise-quality drives that will last for the next 10 years, but my requirements are pretty simple.

I really don't want to build my own because time is currently more valuable than money, but I'm OK shopping for a diskless shell and finding a drive(s) to put in it.

I'm a former computer janitor, but haven't really done any networking since Server 2008, so I'm not really up on the latest and greatest tools to move data around. t have no issue setting up a device with a static IP and then mapping to it, though.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

stealie72 posted:

Apologies if this has been covered, but it's a pretty long thread and the questions (like the one about a single drive NAS above me) are fairly specific.

I'm looking for a price-conscious NAS setup in the 3-6TB range that will let me consolidate my music/pictures/videos and get to them from multiple computers, and potentially android devices (but that's a nice bonus, not a core feature I need). I don't really need to get to my stuff over the web, and frankly I think I'd rather only being able to get to it when I'm physically connected to my router.

Am I dumb to just plug a cheap single drive NAS into my router and call it a day? I like the idea of a RAID setup, but not so much the price tag, especially since I can do periodic backups on one of the pile of external drives I have kicking around (none of which is big enough alone to put all my media in one place).

I'm willing to spend more if $200 will buy me a flaming piece of crap that barely limps along and $400 will give me robust data storage with enterprise-quality drives that will last for the next 10 years, but my requirements are pretty simple.

I really don't want to build my own because time is currently more valuable than money, but I'm OK shopping for a diskless shell and finding a drive(s) to put in it.

I'm a former computer janitor, but haven't really done any networking since Server 2008, so I'm not really up on the latest and greatest tools to move data around. t have no issue setting up a device with a static IP and then mapping to it, though.

I think your ideas on price are way off. 2x4tb consumer NAS drives will probably cost at least 200-300, and that's without a shell. Enterprise drives will cost 50-100% more, but probably are not worth it. If, as you say, your time is valuable, you should consider how much time you would lose if your single drive dies and takes all the data with it (even it fully backed up, how much time & effort is it to restore and set up new device?).

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

I have the 215j, which is totally serviceable if you don't mind not being able to transcode media.
Huh, that's not what they lead on in the specs section - wait, that was the Surveillance Station specs, not the transcoding specs, bah.

Guess I'll have to look into the + and play.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

Skandranon posted:

I think your ideas on price are way off. 2x4tb consumer NAS drives will probably cost at least 200-300, and that's without a shell. Enterprise drives will cost 50-100% more, but probably are not worth it. If, as you say, your time is valuable, you should consider how much time you would lose if your single drive dies and takes all the data with it (even it fully backed up, how much time & effort is it to restore and set up new device?).
Well, I was looking at something like the 4TB MyCloud as my lowest-level option, which is in the $175 range. Am I dumb for even considering that?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
How terrible an idea is single drive parity with 5TB drives? I've read the theory that unrecoverable read error rates are high enough that you'll get one while reading a 5TB drive, but isn't that just an argument that you can't use a single high capacity drive in general anywhere to keep data?

I'm looking to scale up my home NAS from 2 mirrored 5TB drives to a 4 or 5 drive raid z1 array, and I'd really like to avoid losing 2 drives to parity or mirroring.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If you care about data loss, a single drive never has been a good idea at any scale. However, the real concern with unrecoverable read errors is during a RAID rebuild, since that's pretty much the only time you would ever read the whole drive start to finish. Three or four large drives combined are now large enough that when you do a full read of all of them to rebuild a failed drive, you're reading enough data to expect at least one URE during that process just based on the manufacturer-published URE rates.

Here's the real answer on RAID parity: what is a bigger pain for you, restoring the whole array from backup, or the cost of one more drive?

With that said, ZFS at least can save some of your data if, say, you run raidz and have a URE during a single-drive failure. Unlike most RAID solutions it doesn't just poo poo the bed and call the whole array garbage, it will tell you which files it can't recover so you can restore just that instead of the whole drat thing.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
My thought was that backups are necessary anyway, and with how insanely fast home internet connections are getting restoring from backup wouldn't be as miserable as it used to be. Also, as you said, the checksumming filesystems should be able to recognize the corruption created by the URE and say "OK, that file is hosed, but everything else is fine".

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Twerk from Home posted:

My thought was that backups are necessary anyway, and with how insanely fast home internet connections are getting restoring from backup wouldn't be as miserable as it used to be. Also, as you said, the checksumming filesystems should be able to recognize the corruption created by the URE and say "OK, that file is hosed, but everything else is fine".

URE typically kicks the disk that generated the URE out of the RAID, many different raid card manufacturers have a different way of handling this though.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Twerk from Home posted:

It's something that has to be answered on a case by case backup. What does it cost to backup my data in full? How much does it hurt to lose any of it? How much downtime am I willing to endure to restore from my backup? How much is my time worth futzing around with this crap? These are somewhat hard to answer, but an extra hard drive is fairly cheap.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Skandranon posted:

It's something that has to be answered on a case by case backup. What does it cost to backup my data in full? How much does it hurt to lose any of it? How much downtime am I willing to endure to restore from my backup? How much is my time worth futzing around with this crap? These are somewhat hard to answer, but an extra hard drive is fairly cheap.

Also consider how much data will be generated between backups. If you lose a one workday worth of data that can already be a quite a loss.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

hey 5 for 5 on my seagate barracuda's dying 11-14 months after purchase. What a great drive.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

Having completed a full restore from Crashplan on my array (thanks to my own idiocy which no RAID levels will protect you from), it still takes a long time to restore a lot of data.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

sellouts posted:

hey 5 for 5 on my seagate barracuda's dying 11-14 months after purchase. What a great drive.

drat that sucks!

That seems pretty unusual. What's the power, temperature, vibration, usage, etc situation for how you're using these?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

fletcher posted:

drat that sucks!

That seems pretty unusual. What's the power, temperature, vibration, usage, etc situation for how you're using these?

They're in a hvac controlled/filtered rack in a synology 1815+ with conditioned power and generator backup provided 24/7. And the synology usage is basically a shared data dump, certainly very low usage and throughput given the ability of the hardware itself.

I'm replacing them with WD reds because I use them in my 1815+ at home with no problems thus far (and a longer warranty)

sellouts fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Feb 24, 2016

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So I installed FreeNAS on my old Core 2 Duo machine, with 6gb RAM. my drives are plugged into SATA2 ports. The pool is configured in RAIDZ2. I'm getting 30MB/s transfer speeds, would that be pretty typical for this kind of setup?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

sellouts posted:

They're in a hvac controlled/filtered rack in a synology 1815+ with conditioned power and generator backup provided 24/7. And the synology usage is basically a shared data dump, certainly very low usage and throughput given the ability of the hardware itself.

I'm replacing them with WD reds because I use them in my 1815+ at home with no problems thus far (and a longer warranty)

Wow, sounds like a good home for some hard drives. Crazy that they all died!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

So I installed FreeNAS on my old Core 2 Duo machine, with 6gb RAM. my drives are plugged into SATA2 ports. The pool is configured in RAIDZ2. I'm getting 30MB/s transfer speeds, would that be pretty typical for this kind of setup?

What NIC are you using? lovely onboard Reltek devices don't handle a lot of throughput well. I bought Intel NICs for all my devices for this reason.