Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

jmcrofts, thank you for making those great tutorials.

I know there's an app, but I found googled and found a framedata spreadsheet for the lazy: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1976rt8B91PqVCeYJAmcnW1uwVJ0H03QJtV-dJC5ohL8/htmlview?sle=true

I like this game a lot - the changes they made over 4 seem like an improvement - I was never a fan of the focus system and V-trigger seems to be a solid step up. Don't remember seeing any mention of an arcade mode in this thread, but the lack-of arcade mode is the biggest gripe I have. Sometimes you just want to try out garbage on the comp that is somewhat of a challenge before plowing through 26 potatoes beforehand. I hope that's coming next month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Colorspray posted:

Yeah, wanted to second that. The option select one actually instantly worked in real games!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Evil Canadian posted:

Ugh I am finally starting to play ranked and its just about 1/3 matches are ragequits. Almost always pc users too I guess the urge to alt+f4 is too great :(

i'm still down in rookie and even 0 lp players do it to me. why are you rage quitting when you lose nothing?

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
I can't break 3000lp and it is driving me crazy. Four times today I was around 2,9XX.

Is there a list of all invincible moves anywhere, and how long invis frames last?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Colorspray posted:

I know there's an app, but I found googled and found a framedata spreadsheet for the lazy: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1976rt8B91PqVCeYJAmcnW1uwVJ0H03QJtV-dJC5ohL8/htmlview?sle=true

I like this game a lot - the changes they made over 4 seem like an improvement - I was never a fan of the focus system and V-trigger seems to be a solid step up. Don't remember seeing any mention of an arcade mode in this thread, but the lack-of arcade mode is the biggest gripe I have. Sometimes you just want to try out garbage on the comp that is somewhat of a challenge before plowing through 26 potatoes beforehand. I hope that's coming next month.

you can set the computer to take over the dummy in training and put all the meters to normal to simulate arcade. its not the same but it will get you close enough

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Real hurthling! posted:

i'm still down in rookie and even 0 lp players do it to me. why are you rage quitting when you lose nothing?

Quitting gives the opponent nothing though, right?

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
"if i'm going down, you're going down with me BITCH"

now let me just alt+tab all the lag to you chump!!!

fnox
May 19, 2013

I finally reach 1000lp.

I pity anybody who is below that and has to deal with thousands and thousands of ragequitters until at least March.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

It would be cool if people with a large amount of disconnects when they were losing would get a scarlet letter title

fnox
May 19, 2013

fozzy fosbourne posted:

It would be cool if people with a large amount of disconnects when they were losing would get a scarlet letter title

They're already easy to tell due to them having 30+ streaks while still doing j+hk into sweep as their max punish.

They should be forced into another queue.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

from capcoms perspective penalties for dropping at launch would have everyone getting punished for their bad servers

from my perspective if my super animation gets interrupted by a disconnect again i'm gonna be crazy salty

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug

Benson Cunningham posted:

I can't break 3000lp and it is driving me crazy. Four times today I was around 2,9XX.

Is there a list of all invincible moves anywhere, and how long invis frames last?

I made a table of reversals and each characters fastest normal... it's really more for trying to figure out safejumps and frametraps so probably not super accurate, or what you want.

I can update it if there is something incorrect.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

laura's ex shoulder charge has one hit of armor and is her reversal move

idk why you put dictator's EX head stomp as a reversal option. his only reversal option is super or v-reversal.

zangief's super is like 1f? i think

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Dias posted:

f+MP is a better poke and all of us should get used to using it.

SFIV medium punch is better :(

fnox
May 19, 2013

Ken's LP shoryu and EX shoryu are both 3f.

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug

General Morden posted:

laura's ex shoulder charge has one hit of armor and is her reversal move

idk why you put dictator's EX head stomp as a reversal option. his only reversal option is super or v-reversal.

shoulder doesn't have armor until frame 3

headstomp is commonly used as a reversal.

fnox posted:

Ken's LP shoryu and EX shoryu are both 3f.

lp shoryu is only lower body invincible

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Holy poo poo I hate Karin

fnox
May 19, 2013

Foodahn posted:

then it should at least trade with a 4f safe jump.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Ken EX DP is 4f and his jab DP doesn't beat or trade with safejumps.

bebaloorpabopalo fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Feb 24, 2016

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Finally found a way to consistently use my super meter instead of just spamming a few EXs or wakeup super.
Just super punish jumps!

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
so does this game still suck rear end? I am gay for street fighter, but I somehow don't feel the need to fork over 60 bucks for what is a beta, but not really.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

Foodahn posted:

shoulder doesn't have armor until frame 3

headstomp is commonly used as a reversal.

drat laura sucks

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

fnox posted:

I finally reach 1000lp.

I pity anybody who is below that and has to deal with thousands and thousands of ragequitters until at least March.

They are all there still past 3k points, all I wanted to do today was get gold rank to get that dumb achievement but that doesn't look like its going to happen.

*ed*

I wish i saved all the matches to make a shame video or something. I have had literally over 20 disconnects so far today, its very frustrating because today is the first day I have had to put time into ranked :(

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Fargin Icehole posted:

so does this game still suck rear end? I am gay for street fighter, but I somehow don't feel the need to fork over 60 bucks for what is a beta, but not really.

Who pays full price for games in 2016

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Fargin Icehole posted:

The "playing against humans" portion of the game is very good, the "playing against AI" portion is garbage.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Fargin Icehole posted:

Do you like small buttons, slow throws, and lovely movement?

If so, game for you

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Okay guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL9WWmlBNQQ

This is a video of me being bad at videogames for about five matches.

Advice on how not to be bad at videogames would be appreciated greatly. I might do more if people are actually interested. (And actually fix my volume so you can hear me chatting about what I'm thinking while I play)

The big thing to note. The super comes out by accident almost every time.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Okay guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL9WWmlBNQQ

This is a video of me being bad at videogames for about five matches.

Advice on how not to be bad at videogames would be appreciated greatly. I might do more if people are actually interested. (And actually fix my volume so you can hear me chatting about what I'm thinking while I play)

The big thing to note. The super comes out by accident almost every time.

1) Jump less
2) Random hyper less
3) Regular throws are a thing and can be a good mixup tool
4) Don't end strings in unsafe moves

I don't have any specific advice for Laura but that's a few things I gathered. Overall, don't put yourself out there to be punished. You also don't always have to be pressing a button.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Does cr.lp combo into st.mp for Cammy?

Oh it does on counter hit, ok.

teagone fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Feb 24, 2016

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Jmcrofts posted:

Did another tutorial - this one's kind of for the newer players but hopefully some of you guys get something out of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO-NZ09Ve-Q

can you talk about what vtrigger countering is or wahtever? The half a vtrig thing? I have no idea how to do that. ALso wakeups IS there a long wakeup? I think theres a quick wakeup but I cant figure out what button makes me hop up fast.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Yorkshire hit me up on Discord if you're free tomorrow. I'll sit down with you and we can get some good practice going.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

can I block that with my face? :3:

E:
Pitiful Update On Hard Survivor Vega
Got to 41 almost beat the ryu but he went super sayan at the end and i lost the stun bar I had built up on him :smith:

Soon I'll have those colors.

Microwaves Mom fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Feb 24, 2016

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Should I replace the entire op with r mikas butt

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Agoat posted:

Should I replace the entire op with g mikas butt

as nice as that would be I think its good as is. We do need to start putting links to helpful tutorials for people like me though in the OP.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Microwaves Mom posted:

as nice as that would be I think its good as is. We do need to start putting links to helpful tutorials for people like me though in the OP.

I'm working on a big effort post. What are you having trouble with?

Also I'm always on Discord so anyone can DM there if they need help. I'll do training sessions or whatever, I just want to see us grow.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Agoat posted:

I'm working on a big effort post. What are you having trouble with?

Also I'm always on Discord so anyone can DM there if they need help. I'll do training sessions or whatever, I just want to see us grow.

Sounds good, Like I know what v-trigger is but people talk about cancel and stealing v-trigger curious about that.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Microwaves Mom posted:

Sounds good, Like I know what v-trigger is but people talk about cancel and stealing v-trigger curious about that.

Cancels in regards to V-Trigger are when you interrupt one of your moves with activating your V-Trigger. It can allow you to do bigger combos or potentially make a move safer by allowing you to block earlier. In most cases it just cuts down recovery on a move that takes a little while to finish.

If you're confused about cancels in general, look at how Ryu can do Crouching MK into Hadoken. You'll notice you don't have to have specific timing, and that you have to input the Hadoken while you're doing the cMK. You are cancelling the recovery of the normal attack (cMK) into a special (Hadoken). Not all moves can be cancelled but it's good to know which ones can. I hope this makes sense.

I think Nash has a move that can steal V Trigger.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Goodpart posted:

I would take SFXT Chun SF4 Chun 3S Chun and ST Chun any day over SF5 Chun

Chun is terrible in SF4. She's a footsie character in a game where every character has a focus attack to blow up footsies. She needs a bar of meter just to challenge the focus attack. She also needs a bar of meter to do a reversal in a game where setplay is so strong we had to coin the word "vortex" just to talk about it. She also needs that meter to do any respectable damage either with Super or by comboing into U2 from EX Legs. Even if you removed focus attacks from SF4--which would make her considerably stronger--Chun would still be constantly meter poor and without any decent setplay options of her own. SF5 Chun is a goddamn Terminator by comparison.

The other Chuns might still be stronger though. No idea what's up with SFxT Chun because I didn't play that game.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I'm finally able to pull off Chun's instant air legs and combo from it, but I can only do it (semi-consistently) from the left side of the screen. My execution blows haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Sarchasm posted:

Chun is terrible in SF4. She's a footsie character in a game where every character has a focus attack to blow up footsies. She needs a bar of meter just to challenge the focus attack. She also needs a bar of meter to do a reversal in a game where setplay is so strong we had to coin the word "vortex" just to talk about it. She also needs that meter to do any respectable damage either with Super or by comboing into U2 from EX Legs. Even if you removed focus attacks from SF4--which would make her considerably stronger--Chun would still be constantly meter poor and without any decent setplay options of her own. SF5 Chun is a goddamn Terminator by comparison.

The other Chuns might still be stronger though. No idea what's up with SFxT Chun because I didn't play that game.

they're all footsies monsters in games with no stupid focus attack mechanic, praise ono for that at least