Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Derek, have you tried thinking about "It would be fun, in a game, to do X" and then try to make X happen in a way that's fun? Rather than, "The people who know me, know me, and they know that I want to build whatever the tools will blah blah blah blah"? Your games look like they have no soul, no heart, no flavor. Like a piece of room temperature bologna. What is supposed to be fun about Line of Defense?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

On the other hand, I don't understand Game Development

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Palladium posted:

Some obscure game called WoW tried that ~*~ONLY OUR VISION MATTERS~*~ crap and only ended up losing a 5 million subs.

Got a link to this? I want... no, need to see this. :allears:

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Derek Smart and Chris Roberts, two sides of the same coin.

I think you're reading his comment wrong.

He's simply saying that people will always complain about something, so there's no point in catering to every desire someone expresses. Since it's impossible to make something that pleases everyone, you should focus on making something that you like.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

PoorHobo
Dec 21, 2012
Not to detract from the conversation, but I saw some shooting gameplay from multiple people online? Can I access that, and if so, how?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Offkorn posted:

I think you're reading his comment wrong.

He's simply saying that people will always complain about something, so there's no point in catering to every desire someone expresses. Since it's impossible to make something that pleases everyone, you should focus on making something that you like.

Sure, but calling the people who have badpinions of your game "Assclowns" or calling documentation "idiot proofing" for legitimate concerns doesn't really paint you as someone who values criticism.

Boldly stating "Those who don't create, critique" is borderline "You don't understand game development".

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

PoorHobo posted:

Not to detract from the conversation, but I saw some shooting gameplay from multiple people online? Can I access that, and if so, how?

Fly to Security Post Kareah and hope you don't crash 50 times trying to get there and then try to find someone to shoot while trying not to crash another 50 times

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

How does he know what keys he's pressing on his keyboard, or is that why he has the pen and paper?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Jobbo_Fett posted:

How does he know what keys he's pressing on his keyboard, or is that why he has the pen and paper?

Who knows, it doesn't matter because

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

My name is a trolling word

Lime Tonics posted:

From awhile ago, but yeah.

StarCitizen - Ingame, hostilities are expected, on the forum, you're dealing with real life people

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

My brother's friend is a paramedic in central Australia. He told us about a diabetic woman whose flesh had fallen off her feet after she soaked them in water for 3 days straight to help with the pain.
This is why it's so important not to break other people's immersion.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Quick! Someone start a poll asking if Shitizens would like to see diabetes, lung cancer and haemorrhoids modelled in the game! #immersion

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Boldly stating "Those who don't create, critique" is borderline "You don't understand game development".

The difference is that the Roberts side says you're not allowed to critique unless you're a creator, while the Smart side says people will complain regardless so let them complain.

Those are very different things. The latter freely admits the game's visuals are poo poo, but visuals are not his goal and never have been. He doesn't really care that they're poo poo and gets (rightly) annoyed when people keep pointing that out as if he hasn't delivered on his promise or something.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Daztek posted:

Who knows, it doesn't matter because

I tried reading what that guy wrote and gave up by the third item on the list.

How is that supposed to help, or did he type it up in reddit?

Sue
Apr 1, 2008

Of course it's not going to help, it's not like he's noting any steps to reproduce the bugs.

But that doesn't matter because no one at CIG actually works on the game anyway.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I tried reading what that guy wrote and gave up by the third item on the list.

How is that supposed to help, or did he type it up in reddit?

Get a 4k monitor :smuggo:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Sue posted:

Of course it's not going to help, it's not like he's noting any steps to reproduce the bugs.

But that doesn't matter because no one at CIG actually works on the game anyway.

As if it takes complex steps to crash Star Citizen :v:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Get a 4k monitor :smuggo:

Wow, I got loving owned.

:smith:

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Excuse me, but isnt that loving EXACTLY what Elite has?

Open Play with all the dipshits,
Solo Play in which you play in the same universe as all the dipshits but you never see any of them?
Private Group play in which you and your friends play in the same universe as all the dipshits but you never see any of them?

But croberts promised this and thus inveted it and is better than jesus?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Solo Play in which you play in the same universe as all the dipshits but you never see any of them?
Private Group play in which you and your friends play in the same universe as all the dipshits but you never see any of them?

In the post he just talks about "travelling to a lower security system". So it seems that what he's talking about isn't even a PVP slider somewhere in the menu, just a game where some regions have tons of PVP and some have less PVP and some have very little PVP, based on the security rating of a system

Like Eve.

Only in Eve, balance is maintained by making the low security (high PVP) areas desirable places to be with good resources and other reasons to go there that aren't just wanting to fight/grief other players. It seems that this guy wants to be able to basically level up offline then go use his super tooled up ship that he got to that point with basically no risk to dominate everyone else. How the gently caress are you meant to balance that? Does Elite do this? How does it work there?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Fatkraken posted:

In the post he just talks about "travelling to a lower security system". So it seems that what he's talking about isn't even a PVP slider somewhere in the menu, just a game where some regions have tons of PVP and some have less PVP and some have very little PVP, based on the security rating of a system

Like Eve.

Only in Eve, balance is maintained by making the low security (high PVP) areas desirable places to be with good resources and other reasons to go there that aren't just wanting to fight/grief other players. It seems that this guy wants to be able to basically level up offline then go use his super tooled up ship that he got to that point with basically no risk to dominate everyone else. How the gently caress are you meant to balance that? Does Elite do this? How does it work there?

It's easy, you just sell people super powerful ships for real money on day one and then and make it so they infinitely regenerate for free if they're ever destroyed..... wait

poo poo.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Yes, let that hate flow... hate leads to suffering, and to something awful.
Buy this man an account i say.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Fatkraken posted:

Like Eve.

When firing up Elite you click "start" and then on one of the 3 options.
Open, Solo or Private group.
Yes you can make 10billion space bucks "offline" (youre still online and affected by the actions of all players but youre alone in your instance of the universe) and then go open play with a fully kitted sperg-class cruiser.
If youre that kind of autist though, youre probably using aimbots and wallhacks cause you cant stand to lose.

The system is flawed though. Logging out under danger takes 15 seconds, but getting "disconnected" (aka terminating the process) IMMEDIATLY removes you from whatever lovely situation you brought yourself into. As such i have no reason to go into open play. If a sperglord in his spergaconda comes at me and i gently caress him up all he has to do is close the exe and relog in solo and none of this has happened, its better to play private group with buddies.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Chin posted:

"I became one with Chris"
:stare:

That's got to be someone from here, right? Please?

Absolutely not, not, NOT a cult.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Sure, but calling the people who have badpinions of your game "Assclowns" or calling documentation "idiot proofing" for legitimate concerns doesn't really paint you as someone who values criticism.

You should see how he treats people on his steam forum. i read through 6 or 7 random threads and each one had multiple people banned for "trolling" when a few of them had legitimate concerns and questions.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

grimcreaper posted:

You should see how he treats people on his steam forum. i read through 6 or 7 random threads and each one had multiple people banned for "trolling" when a few of them had legitimate concerns and questions.

I think we need a few screencaps to give us an idea?

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I think we need a few screencaps to give us an idea?

yea thats exactly what this thread needs, more screenshots of text walls from other forums :suicide:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

VealCutlet posted:

The grind to an asp would be not so fun to do in a week, but the travel itself is fine if you're into it. If not can just chuck on netflix as the effort involved to travel is minimal.

Also tripe in Pho is the poo poo, also Chicken Feet done right are awesome.

Chicken feet are another bucket list food for me.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

D_Smart posted:

People who can't create, critic. That's how it goes.

I think you mean, critique.

Why yes, I've never made a videogame, was it that obvious? :haw:

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
Did Derek Smart sue anyone yet

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Yolomon Wayne posted:

But it's not an in game slider on my HUD in Elite :colbert:

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Solomonic posted:

People who actually know stuff about Star Citizen, has any of this ever been stated to be in the game or is Captain B'Tak building castles in the sky with elaborate jpeg endangerment fantasies

I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark and say the latter

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Ezekeel posted:

Someone with a RSI forums account need to post a heart breaking sob story about his best friend/brother/father who also was morbidly obese and then was taken from him after a long struggle and having his legs amputated because of diabetes. Make sure to point out that being a fatass is a serious disease and that the people effected deserve all the sympathy and respect for their hard struggle and the cruel fate they were dealt.

Or link to Elise the Great's blog where she describes exactly what diabetes does to you simply and terrifyingly. In fact, here it is. That should make anyone think twice.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

But for real, Derek can do whatever he likes with his game. He can present it in any shape he wants, it's his baby, and if it might look a little weird, well, that child was home schooled, and destined for a very different life than other children.

Some projects you make for other people. Some projects you make for yourself. Then there's Star Citizen, a project which undoes itself with such regularity you'd think it was Buddhist.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Solomonic posted:

People who actually know stuff about Star Citizen, has any of this ever been stated to be in the game or is Captain B'Tak building castles in the sky with elaborate jpeg endangerment fantasies

It's all pretty much based on stuff Chris has said yes to in 10ftc so technically both.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Rudager posted:

Haggis I don't know, but you can't defend tripe when the basic rule of cooking it is to pack as many other over powering flavours in the dish as well to make the tripe palatable

I dunno. I have had it prepared quite mildly (and well) and found it to have a rich, almost buttery flavor. Of course, there's always those folks that don't like the flavor profile of organ meats (like, say, liver) and so they drown it in whatever comes to mind.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Mr.Tophat posted:

But for real, Derek can do whatever he likes with his game. He can present it in any shape he wants, it's his baby, and if it might look a little weird, well, that child was home schooled, and destined for a very different life than other children.

Some projects you make for other people. Some projects you make for yourself. Then there's Star Citizen, a project which undoes itself with such regularity you'd think it was Buddhist.

also Derek wants all of £7 for his game (more if you buy the equipment packs but still). If you play it and don't like it that's fine but it's not like you're getting hosed down for thousands of dollars to buy jpgs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

also Derek wants all of £7 for his game (more if you buy the equipment packs but still). If you play it and don't like it that's fine but it's not like you're getting hosed down for thousands of dollars to buy jpgs.

I find it no co-incidence that this level-headedness comes from a skeleton. You got a spirit meter in there little skelemans?

• Locked thread