Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The only 50 percent off preorders during the B&N sales were titles that were going to be released later that month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Nope, I work at B&N and as long as it's in the system and able to be preordered, it's included. I preordered Llewyn Davis.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Unmature posted:

Nope, I work at B&N and as long as it's in the system and able to be preordered, it's included. I preordered Llewyn Davis.

At the 50% discount price?

Unmature
May 9, 2008

MacheteZombie posted:

At the 50% discount price?

Yes. The thing this whole discussion has been about.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Tokyo Story, The Hidden Fortress, and City Lights are getting Blu-only releases in March to replace the existing dual format editions.

Also, it's looking like the BBS set (Head, Easy Rider, Five Easy Pieces, etc) and the Zatoichi set are going OOP. The BBS probably because Head was licensed from Rhino and they're including it on a complete Monkees Blu set and Zatoichi probably to release regular DVD and Blu-Ray editions instead of dual format.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Didn't they just put out that Zatoichi set like a year or two ago?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

Tokyo Story, The Hidden Fortress, and City Lights are getting Blu-only releases in March to replace the existing dual format editions.

Also, it's looking like the BBS set (Head, Easy Rider, Five Easy Pieces, etc) and the Zatoichi set are going OOP. The BBS probably because Head was licensed from Rhino and they're including it on a complete Monkees Blu set and Zatoichi probably to release regular DVD and Blu-Ray editions instead of dual format.

Interesting, I got the Zatoichi set as a gift on Christmas a year or two ago. If they do a Bluray only set I'll be interested to see the artwork and price. Love the box art on the current set.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 22, 2016

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
Do those Barnes and Nobles sales apply to in-store purchases or are they online only?

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Cromlech posted:

Do those Barnes and Nobles sales apply to in-store purchases or are they online only?

They apply in-store too.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Can confirm. I have to stop going in a nearby Barnes and Noble just because it's near where I was doing errands. So many impulse purchases.

Still worth it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

CRITERION IS DOING A 50% OFF SRP FLASH SALE UNTIL 2/24 NOON EST

PREPARE YOUR WALLETS

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

No blu Ray of Andrei Rublev, huh? Bummer.

Stuck deciding between Solaris and Branded to Kill.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
As usual the recent releases (ie "The Graduate", "Inside Llewyn Davis") are selling out very very quickly.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Does the free shipping for 50 dollars work with the sale, or does the actual sale have to be over 50 dollars?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
I'm glad I woke up early on my birthday today or else I wouldn't have got the Flash sale notice. :circlefap:

Ended up getting

The Complete Lady Snowblood
Ikiru
The Apu Trilogy
In Cold Blood
Mulholland Dr.
Kwaidan
Death by Hanging
Inside Llewyn Davis
The Rose
Day for Night
High and Low
Kagemusha
Paris, Texas

Might go back later tonight and see what's left from my wishlist.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Forgot about the $10 credit they gave me, ended up with The Kid, Inside Llewyn Davis, and Don't Look Back.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Forgot about the $10 credit they gave me, ended up with The Kid, Inside Llewyn Davis, and Don't Look Back.

Yeah I used that too. I got Mulholland Drive, and Weekend (Godard, not the other one)

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yep, totally forgot about this too. Picked up Llewyn because I shouldn't be spending too much money right now.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Nate RFB posted:

I'm trying to remember, when you get up to 500 points for $50 off on Criterion's site do they usually send out the code right away? Looking ahead I think I need like ~80 to get the $50 so I figure I could do two separate orders during the next flash sale to take advantage of it at that time. But if it's a day or two later that wouldn't work.
To answer my own question, yep you get the code right away :toot: So on top of my first order today I was able to snag 4 more for like $9 more.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
What was that $10 credit from?

Picked up Alfed Hitchcock collection and Lady Snowblood. 6 Criterion BR's for a little less than $10 each shipped. Heck of a deal

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
You had to follow a Facebook link or something of that nature back in November/December IIRC.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

You had to follow a Facebook link or something of that nature back in November/December IIRC.

I used that to pick up Quadrophenia. I also got The Graduate, Heaven's Gate and The War Room. :toot:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

The_Rob posted:

Does the free shipping for 50 dollars work with the sale, or does the actual sale have to be over 50 dollars?
Pretty sure the total in your cart after applying the sale code has to be more than $50.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Well, I was too late to get BBS. Ended up grabbing it off an obscure 'rare books' site straight out of 2000 for just over $100 CND including shiping.

From criterion I ended up getting the box set including A Hard Day's Night, Quadrophenia, Gimmie Shelter, and Monterrey Pop. Plus I grabbed Watership Down, Devil's Backbone, and Slacker.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Is the BBS set going OOP because of Head?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I got the Tati set because it works out to just enough that I get free shipping.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Cloks posted:

Is the BBS set going OOP because of Head?

That's the rumor going around, yeah.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
In any case, it's 'Temporarily Out Of Stock' everywhere I've looked, or it's just gone. Which is why I settled for a obscure 'Rare Books' site, as they were offering a decent deal while still having it in stock. So I've probably been scammed. I'll see in about a month.

It especially sucks as I checked their website literally last night, contemplating if I should get it. I checked in the morning, and a sales going on only for it to be out.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

How interesting of a watch is Head if you have like zero familiarity with The Monkees?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Raxivace posted:

How interesting of a watch is Head if you have like zero familiarity with The Monkees?

It's pretty enjoyable if you like weird movies that experiment with the form. I came in with no familiarity and I now have an appreciation for their music and TV show.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

Raxivace posted:

A general interest in the culture of the era is probably a prerequisite as it's definitely what one would call "ephemera". Although if you are receptive enough just to weird, weird poo poo with no plot at all, that might be enough.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Raxivace posted:

I didn't like it that much, but the rest of the set is phenomenal. Five Easy Pieces in particular is easily one of my favorite Jack Nicholson films ever after watching it. Absolutely fantastic performance from him early in his career. Easy Rider is a classic and almost worth the price of the set alone. Last Picture Show was another one I really enjoyed. If you're at all a fan of 70's independent cinema go out and snatch up this box set right now, it's amazing and a darn shame if it does go OOP.

edit: For fun here's one of the more memorable scenes in Five Easy Pieces:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdIXrF34Bz0

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have that BBS box set at work in Blu and DVD

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Thanks to my car making GBS threads out on me I can't get a whole lot, but I picked up Mulholland Dr and Love Streams. Should make for one exhausting double feature.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Raxivace posted:

to the dude with the trippy Eva avatar: watch Head

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Cloks posted:

It's pretty enjoyable if you like weird movies that experiment with the form. I came in with no familiarity and I now have an appreciation for their music and TV show.

The Time Dissolver posted:

A general interest in the culture of the era is probably a prerequisite as it's definitely what one would call "ephemera". Although if you are receptive enough just to weird, weird poo poo with no plot at all, that might be enough.

mod sassinator posted:

I didn't like it that much, but the rest of the set is phenomenal. Five Easy Pieces in particular is easily one of my favorite Jack Nicholson films ever after watching it. Absolutely fantastic performance from him early in his career. Easy Rider is a classic and almost worth the price of the set alone. Last Picture Show was another one I really enjoyed. If you're at all a fan of 70's independent cinema go out and snatch up this box set right now, it's amazing and a darn shame if it does go OOP.

Rusty Staub posted:

to the dude with the trippy Eva avatar: watch Head
Thanks for the responses everyone. Head sounds like something I'd be interested in after all.

FWIW I've seen and liked two of the BBS films already (Easy Rider and The King of Marvin Gardens), so I think I will just buckle down and watch everything from that boxset now, even if it isn't through the actual Criterion set.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

last picture show and five easy pieces are two of the best american movies of the 70s

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
There's so much in the collection that its really hard to control myself during these sales. I kinda want everything, although I try to stay away from blind-buys.

Well I broke that rule this time and grabbed Badlands and My Darling Clementine blind, but I love Ford and Malick so I really don't see it as much of a risk. It will be very interesting, having seen fully formed Malick, to go back and see his first feature.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Basebf555 posted:

There's so much in the collection that its really hard to control myself during these sales. I kinda want everything, although I try to stay away from blind-buys.

Well I broke that rule this time and grabbed Badlands and My Darling Clementine blind, but I love Ford and Malick so I really don't see it as much of a risk. It will be very interesting, having seen fully formed Malick, to go back and see his first feature.
Both are kind of atypical of Ford and Malick in some ways but probably couldn't have been made by anybody else.

They'd be a good double feature too, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Raxivace posted:

Both are kind of atypical of Ford and Malick in some ways but probably couldn't have been made by anybody else.

They'd be a good double feature too, honestly.

Yea I love the visuals of the typical Malick film, which is why its taken me so long to get around to Badlands, I've been told that aspect isn't as strong. Just seems wrong to have a shelf with Days of Heaven, The Thin Red Line, and Tree of Life and not have Badlands in there.