Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

pacerhimself posted:

The thing I don't understand about the Trump phenomenon is that he's clearly pandering in every thing he says without attempting to hide that he's pandering. Everything he says seems insincere and doesn't even attempt to hide it, yet people eat it up.

It's like he's playing the role of a horrible politician yet people seem to think he's authentic.

It's been working on Democrats too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Matt Walsh breaking on Twitter

Matt, nobody does these things because they are smarter than you and they won't work. This is why you are the online equivalent of a bus station busker and they have jobs.

I still think there's merit in attacking Trump hard but not on poo poo he's proud of and has lived with his entire life. Talk about the poo poo that embarasses him and makes him mad. There's even a cheat sheet, just look up every time he's talked about suing someone.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I have wondered why Trump hasn't been attacked on his business failures much. If he wants to "run the country like a business" the logical thing would be to bring up that his business skills have proven relatively poor.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Geostomp posted:

I have wondered why Trump hasn't been attacked on his business failures much. If he wants to "run the country like a business" the logical thing would be to bring up that his business skills have proven relatively poor.

If you're rich then you have good business skills.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

mr. mephistopheles posted:

It's been working on Democrats too.

Democrats are in fact people

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Geostomp posted:

Because he already deflected that via "yeah that was on purpose and I made a ton of money off of them because I'm smart"

Trying to get into the details just makes people tune out.

I bet there's a way to frame it to at least make this a tie game, but I don't think anyone left standing will try that hard.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Geostomp posted:

Because Trump would scream "HOW loving DARE YOU?!" in front of a massive howling crowd and threaten to have a reporter lynched by his security detail and the press would never cover it again.

Like ever other tepid attack people have tried to launch on him since he started his campaign.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 24, 2016

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

nine-gear crow posted:

Because Trump would scream "HOW loving DARE YOU?!" in front of a massive howling crowd and threaten to have a reporter lynched by his security detail and the press would never cover IG again.

Like ever other tepid attack people have tried to launch on him since he started his campaign.

Has anyone printed attack ads though?

Also it looks like Adam Baldwin screaming about censorship on twitter by leaving permanently. Maybe he won't be hated by his former firefly cast members as much now that he isn't cussing them out on twitter.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-twitter-baldwin-idUSKCN0VW2AW

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 24, 2016

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

pacerhimself posted:

I know. You were the one who said you didn't understand why Republicans are falling for it. Or implied it. And I'm talking about Hillary not Democrats who like Trump, if it was unclear. Everybody panders because it works.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Crowsbeak posted:

Has anyone printed attack ads though?

Also it looks like Adam Baldwin screaming about censorship on twitter by leaving permanently. Maybe he won't be hated by his former firefly cast members as much now that he isn't cussing them out on twitter.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-twitter-baldwin-idUSKCN0VW2AW

I guess he just needs a safe space :smug:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Crowsbeak posted:

Those bridges were long since burnt.

I've said this before, but in hindsight, it was actually a bit of brilliant casting to have Adam Baldwin play "The Guy Everyone Else Hates" on Firefly. He's a natural fit for it.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Ever want to see Walsh in action?

He went on Crowder's sugar daddy, Dana Loesch show, to talk about Trump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aGaNT2kJfE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq0bMd0FkpM

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Dr. Faustus posted:

Thanks! I look forward to reading this.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/slacktivist/2015/11/05/left-behind-index-the-whole-thing/

It's excellent.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I'm beginning to see bits of soft evangelical backlash against Trump. One of the more fervent individuals on my Facebook just posted something by Max Lucado.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

BiggerBoat posted:

It's very much this. Even Limbaugh doesn't know what to make of Trump or how to talk about him. The GOP establishment seems as stunned as the rest of us but they shouldn't be. Trump is the culmination of boorishness, wealth, racism, xenohobia, greed and idolatry that they've been clamoring for all along. In many ways, he's the prefect Republican candidate, but now that they're staring him in the face and looking in the mirror, they're stumbling for ways to rationalize it and explain away why it's not as bad as it is.

Mary Shelley's Trumpenstein has become a reality. For about 30 odd years the machine has labored to create a Republican God, a Serpentor for their Cobra legion, the perfect ideological icon. And then when the thing finally moved and spoke, they could not love nor accept it.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 24, 2016

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

pacerhimself posted:

hosed up if true

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Is he wearing lipstick and makeup?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
It's going to be hilarious and horrifying when the mainstream media starts to realize that Trump is an abomination of their own making and it's too late.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Crabtree posted:

Mary Shelley's Trumpenstein has become a reality. For about 30 odd years the machine has labored to create a Republican God, a Serpentor for their Cobra legion, the perfect ideological icon. And then when the thing finally moved and spoke, they could not love nor accept it.

Beautiful. The flower girl is everybody under 35

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

pacerhimself posted:

The thing I don't understand about the Trump phenomenon is that he's clearly pandering in every thing he says without attempting to hide that he's pandering. Everything he says seems insincere and doesn't even attempt to hide it, yet people eat it up.

It's like he's playing the role of a horrible politician yet people seem to think he's authentic.

Chris Matthews spun some theory last night that basically went that Trump's people know he's pandering and insincere so by him doing it so blatantly its really some kind of post modern mockery show he's putting on for them that they're all in on. That's the opening act for his show and then he hits them with the anger and nationalism which is what they're all really there for anyway. The rest is all window dressing and they all know it and are amused by it.

I'm not sure I buy the theory but it does addresses your question. It also fits with the Walsh and Beck type conservatives who are having these panic attacks because they've suddenly realized the base doesnt actually care about all that stuff the conservative right was built on. I have a few true believer conservatives in my family and they're having the same crisis. They're stuck somewhere between not understanding why people don't see through Trump and the terror that Republcians do and they just never actually cared about that "Christian" stuff.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

pacerhimself posted:

I think they get that he's putting on a show but believe it's ok for him to do that, because he's grabbing all the attention, & whatever it takes to win. Conservatives finally have a candidate whose charisma sufficiently outweighs his his hatemongering. It fills them with joy that Trump can say vile, racist things and get away with it.

If anything Trump has exposed the fact that most GOP voters have no principles except loving over everyone who disagrees with them.

beatlegs fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 25, 2016

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Star Man posted:

It's going to be hilarious and horrifying when the mainstream media starts to realize that Trump is an abomination of their own making and it's too late.

This would require them to admit that they're terrible, so uh, good luck with that.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Where were you when Matt Walsh was mocked by Milo?

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Lets all hope the knives stay focused inward, instead of pointed towards the undeserving.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

:unsmigghh:

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Wait, are Nero and the rest of the alt-right trolls on Twitter referring to Trump as "daddy" now? Dare I even ask what that's all about?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Yeah right. I'm sure the party of unskewed polls, fox and friends, the RW blogswamp and Sarah Palin are tooootally aware of Trumps snake oil salesman act and are just ironically embracing it in some pomo political art performance.

I would like to bet on this, mr chris matthews

Here is my money

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I don't know what there is to explain. He's an authoritarian strongman father figure that's so cliche and bombastic that even a mind numbed by years of it is grossed out by how loving obvious the whole daddy daddy please save us poo poo is.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

No wonder he's usually a blogger. He can barely talk.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Wait, are Nero and the rest of the alt-right trolls on Twitter referring to Trump as "daddy" now? Dare I even ask what that's all about?

I think he's just playing up the being gay thing, which is kind of super gross (him referring to a hatemongering idiot in a weirdly sexual way, not the being gay thing).

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
It's hilarious the stooges are coming out screaming about authoritarianism in their party now when they've been crying wolf about Demon Hitler Obama or whatever other left wing boogeyman was cool to freak out over at the moment for years and years. Who is going to believe them or care now?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Trump is going to destroy right wing media

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
Master Shake has been in fine form. His opening yesterday was seething with hatred for pretty much everybody who's not Ted Cruz who refuses to step out of the race. So he finally said something nice about Jeb Bush now that he's gotten out of the race, and is more and more harsh about Ben Carson as time goes by.

Also, he has the the hottest of hot takes on Rubio:

Mark M.S. Levin posted:

Getting it down to two is an important issue because Rubio wants to be one of those two. That's what he wants.

He's also trying to say that he could never support Rubio because Rubio is dishonest. He thinks Cruz is the picture of moral purity. It's like listening to a child talk about how great their dad is or something because the child doesn't get to know about all the times their father cheated on their mom or whatever.

Mercury_Storm posted:

It's hilarious the stooges are coming out screaming about authoritarianism in their party now when they've been crying wolf about Demon Hitler Obama or whatever other left wing boogeyman was cool to freak out over at the moment for years and years. Who is going to believe them or care now?

Yeah, that's why it's real hilarious that Beck is one of the people calling Trump a Nazi. Beck has spent years calling people Nazi's every day to the point that they can't sell ad time. He's The Boy Who Cried Nazi. This one time finally he's right and nobody's gonna listen.

Trump is going to destroy right wing media

If Trump wins the nomination Ailes is probably going to die of a stroke and be replaced by the Murdoch son he never liked. At that point FNC and CNN will become indistinguishable.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 25, 2016

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

Doctor Butts posted:

No wonder he's usually a blogger. He can barely talk.
His blog posts have all the hallmarks of someone who writes at a grade school level then goes back and thesaurizes the poo poo out of it until it looks vaguely less like childish bleating. Without the ability to fix it in post, his live act is going to suffer accordingly.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Bast Relief posted:

I was thinking about how Trump plays upon racism such that his lack of actual Christianity becomes irrelevant to these people, including evangelicals, surprisingly. Well, I think it works the same for his misogyny as well. He manages to take it up a notch where you don't even need to fall back on "family values" and biblical support of anti-women policies. He just outright says women's only value is their attractiveness.

Christianity to the sort of person who loves Trump isn't about reading the words of Christ, maybe alongside some writings on those words, and going "well here's what Jesus said, better live by it". You remember that thing awhile back where a reporter talked to fresh ISIS recruits and none of them know a goddamned thing about Islam and the Koran and when asked what Islam is responded "our lives"? That's a huge, huge constituency here as long as you swap Christianity for Islam. Loving violence both physical and structural against the weak and the poor is their culture, and Christianity is their culture, so why should they see any trouble reconciling fascism and racism with Christianity? All the word means to them is "me and those like me" anyway.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I wish I knew how to embed Twitter conversations, because NRO's Jonah Goldberg's have been magical. Even his articles are the adult version of a kid bullshitting through 'write 500 words about your summer vacations', trying to stay relevant enough to merit his pundit satrapy while not offending any of the firebrands who can disown him or getting too close to the lunatics.

But on twitter, his despondency has just been hilarious because of how toothless and cowardly it is. Walsh and Crowder at least seem to have some skin in the game. Goldberg is all "Guys im really worried about the way things are going" or 'I wish someone could reassure me'. When Trumpists attack him, he just says "I'm not interested in arguing/This isn't worth my time", and when they try to get him on board, he goes "That's not how I see things".

It doesn't help that the one time he tried to poke his head up with a "In the future, our kids will ask us what we were doing when we let Trump take over" post and got shot down by some snarky lib with "Well, you'll be able to say you were warning people about Liberal Facism!"

TVs Patrick Duffy
Dec 12, 2006
Pick something difficult. You know, hard to mock or whatever.

Sephyr posted:

"Well, you'll be able to say you were warning people about Liberal Facism!"

:master:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sephyr posted:

I wish I knew how to embed Twitter conversations, because NRO's Jonah Goldberg's have been magical. Even his articles are the adult version of a kid bullshitting through 'write 500 words about your summer vacations', trying to stay relevant enough to merit his pundit satrapy while not offending any of the firebrands who can disown him or getting too close to the lunatics.

But on twitter, his despondency has just been hilarious because of how toothless and cowardly it is. Walsh and Crowder at least seem to have some skin in the game. Goldberg is all "Guys im really worried about the way things are going" or 'I wish someone could reassure me'. When Trumpists attack him, he just says "I'm not interested in arguing/This isn't worth my time", and when they try to get him on board, he goes "That's not how I see things".

It doesn't help that the one time he tried to poke his head up with a "In the future, our kids will ask us what we were doing when we let Trump take over" post and got shot down by some snarky lib with "Well, you'll be able to say you were warning people about Liberal Facism!"

Even if you don't it's good to link them so people can find them easily.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Man I almost forgot that Trump also trashed the legacy of Buckley, a grade-a fuckhead in his own right. RIP in piss Buckley, you just weren't crypto enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

STAC Goat posted:

Chris Matthews spun some theory last night that basically went that Trump's people know he's pandering and insincere so by him doing it so blatantly its really some kind of post modern mockery show he's putting on for them that they're all in on. That's the opening act for his show and then he hits them with the anger and nationalism which is what they're all really there for anyway. The rest is all window dressing and they all know it and are amused by it.

I'm not sure I buy the theory but it does addresses your question. It also fits with the Walsh and Beck type conservatives who are having these panic attacks because they've suddenly realized the base doesnt actually care about all that stuff the conservative right was built on. I have a few true believer conservatives in my family and they're having the same crisis. They're stuck somewhere between not understanding why people don't see through Trump and the terror that Republcians do and they just never actually cared about that "Christian" stuff.

Evangelicals thought they were in control of the party because of how much screaming there was about abortion and the gays. However, most of what the GOP was doing on morality and faith-based government was lip service to keep the fundies on their side. It turns out that the core of the party was not theocracy but fascism. Whoops!

Trump doing the best suddenly blindsides them with the fact that they are not in charge and never were. The thing of it is the right very likely knew that abortion and the gays were losing battles that they would never, ever win. Now that Trump is up there doing so well based almost entirely on xenophobia and hatred they're being confronted with how awful and mean their party actually is and evangelicals don't like that. They want to play themselves up as the party of morality but Trump is just an indicator that they're increasingly a party of avarice and spite.