Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop
Dear Mafia thread,

I am too lazy to go buy tahini from the international grocery so I made hummus with almond butter I had from Costco that I got to give my vegan baby more protein but he doesn't like it. He doesn't like the hummus either but I do. When he is old enough to slaughter an animal he can choose to eat it.

My wife and I watched the movie The FP a while ago and in the climactic DDR dance battle scene my 15 month old son ran up to the front of the TV and started just bustin' moves like crazy, and now dances all the time, but especially whenever he hears EDM and sees flashing lights. He had never danced before that very moment.

In a sudden descision, my family is moving from our ancient house in the ghetto into a luxury 2-bedroom apartment in the heart of downtown Indianapolis in 2 weeks. My wife has ADHD and is a bit of a hoarder, but she's nesting hardcore in the third trimester so this is the opportunity for us to shed most of our burdensome and unused possessions, so I am excited. We unloaded a total of 48 of my wife's old NES/SNES/N64/Genesis/PS3 games for $283 in GameStop credit. We sold a near-roomful of old baby juno for $100 on Craigslist today.

Costco is selling a variety pack of Sierra Nevada IPAs and its pretty good. There seems to be no limit to the amount of hop flavor I can tolerate and enjoy.

We have decided we will probably name our new baby "Clark".

Now you're caught up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I saw "vegan baby" and my brain exploded for a moment.

Now you're caught up.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

you're a monster

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
yes

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

That's unfair to monsters.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

My baby isn't allowed to drink milk.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Spiros posted:

My baby isn't allowed to drink milk.
infants and babies (<1yo) shouldn't be fed cow's milk per the AAP because it contains hard to digest proteins or something

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah if you are raising a wimp

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Pander posted:

I saw "vegan baby" and my brain exploded for a moment.

:yeah:

Also hello Pander, how was Japan?

MG2
Jan 30, 2016

by LadyAmbien
I drank your moms milk last night, it was salty

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

MG2 posted:

I bet its a byproduct of her realization that her age has forced her to settle on you.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

MG2 posted:

That's because it's flavored by her tears. Because it's you.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

MG2 posted:

milfhuntergod2

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

Spiros posted:

I bet its a byproduct of her realization that her age has forced her to settle on you.

This is why you're awesome.

MG2
Jan 30, 2016

by LadyAmbien
No it's salty because your dad doesn't have a well paying job and can only afford hot dogs for every meal. That's a lot of sodium

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

the fuckwits who made this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAqgXhblr-w

got arrested this morning

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

JakeP posted:

Hey Keane, theres a place near me that has 3D Dodgeball played in one of those gyms where all the floors and walls are trampolines:

I've done this! It is as fun as it looks and sounds.

My team submitted the registration, we are in for a Serious Business dodgeball series. I'm very excited for my first major tournament!

CCKeane fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Feb 25, 2016

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
I am dubtracking

https://www.dubtrack.fm/join/sa-wifom-omgus

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Hello mafia thread I just got back a half hour ago from my night class's test, where I aced that poo poo.

Also today I bought a Pebble Time Steel smartwatch. It was a dumb purchase but is actually a very, very cool watch that I got a great deal on. 10 days of battery life!

What are you guys up to, other than dubtracking which I am in with cpig and bowmore.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Lumpen you've got to get that baby rolling on soylent

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I am in dubtrack come on late nite crew let's do this

:nitecrew:

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Dear mafia thread, I got a job offer and it's making me feel kinda down.

Six years ago I left my very cushy, well paying career with lots of opportunities for advancement to go off to grad school because I wanted to do something more important with my life.

Three years ago, when I should have been prepping to wrap up my degree, I was instead getting ready to start all over because my advisor was irresponsible and screwed me over.

Now I'm once again 3 years into a degree with at least 2 more years to go and I'm feeling so burnt out from grad school. It doesn't help that while I was doing research all the time in my first degree, with this one you're not allowed to actually do research until you jump through all these hoops via written exams and proposal writing, which I find so tedious. I should actually get to start my research for real this fall, but I still have several more busywork nonsense activities to do before then which I have been putting off pretty much for months.

I had saved up some money from my cushy job that was supposed to help me get through my four, maybe five year degree. This savings is now running dangerously low. I thought I had the majority of the summer free, so I applied for a job at my old job. They rearranged our TAing here though so I got many more hours during the summer. I'll be making a lot more money (about the same as the job I applied for) but I have to stay here for the summer. Still when my old job called me in to write a test, I went just so I could have it on file in case I wanted to try to get another job there another summer. Then today I get an email saying they want to offer me a job for the summer that can turn into a permanent position.

I'm going to have to turn them down since I now have obligations here, but just knowing that with basically zero effort I could give up on all of this and immediately get my old job back (or a way back into my old job) is just so tempting. I know I'll regret it because then the last 6 years will have been a complete waste, but I'm just so sick of what I'm doing now that this offer of an alternative really brought up how unhappy I am.

I'm not sure what to do. I need to talk to my advisor, since I've basically been ignoring her because I can't deal with one more thing to do. I know I don't want to quit, but I don't really want to keep going either.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Also awesome, I have to go to bed because I need to be at a conference tomorrow that I sorta helped organize and am volunteering at, and I just double checked the volunteer schedule, and I'm supposed to be volunteering at the workshop my adviser is running in the morning.

Great.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sounds like you need to sit down and analyze a good one CBA.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Idk it sounds like it's rear end but might as well finish because if you don't know you never will ya know?

Also hi from Iceland

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Kashuno posted:

Idk it sounds like it's rear end but might as well finish because if you don't know you never will ya know?

Also hi from Iceland

is there ice there? ? ? ? ?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tommunist posted:

is there ice there? ? ? ? ?

Yes it is 0C

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Kashuno posted:

Yes it is 0C

nice

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
N0iCe

Works on so many levels

Well 4.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
At a testing company, Asiina?

In fields like education, nutrition, counseling, speech-language pathology (so effectively social sciences) it can be so clunky bringing research into practice. I feel like we need to fund intermediate jobs, researcher/practitioner, so that there is a go-between for academia and say public schools (obv I am talking about my own job now.) I have been really gung-ho about researching effective practice in alternative and augmentative communication devices this year, and I love it, but I am just hitting wall after wall in the public school system because "idk we just always do it this way it's fine." The ways school use data is sickening. I'm not sure how it is in Canada, but here I see complete bullshit presented as fact ALL THE TIME. Schools and state education departments need people telling them their numbers make no sense.

So I guess my point is, I feel like to really make a difference you may have to operate outside of the existing structure. I feel like if I want my ideal job I need to be a consulting private practitioner with experience in schools. I will likely have to start my own practice someday for that to happen. With an advance degree and data experience people will listen to your recommendations. Every school district except my current one have had people whose job it is specifically to analyze assessment data and work with administration. That might be a place to start to see how things are happening in practice? idk if that's helpful but I struggle with the same basic problem. I want to make a difference but there is not a clean path to doing it. I also want to make more $$$

Oh! I will add a friend of mine was getting her Ph.D in special education, she decided to drop out of the program and now works at a great district here measuring the effectiveness of different models of speech-language service delivery and is also working with students. Only you can decide what's best but quitting a program isn't failure or a waste if you are moving towards your goal. I quit a job mid year, got fired last year and I would leave this job if I have to all in the name of furthering my end goal. I'm not sure what your ideal job is, but visualizing mine has really helped me prioritize my choices these past few years!

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 27, 2020

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance

Opopanax posted:

4, but it's a Conure so they live to about mid 30s
What kind?

I can't recommend Green Cheeks enough! My Korben is real quiet, for a bird, and has learned to say "HI KORBEN" "GIMME KISS" "THANK YOU" "PRETTY BIRD!" awww I love birds :sun:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Made it to Amsterdam with my bags yay :toot:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

If you're a speech therapist or in that field at all, kudos to you! I saw a speech therapist all the way through high school, and I credit that in a big way for how well I can speak now despite my hearing loss. :)

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
This is it guys. I finally found the city for me. poo poo tons of canals, tightly packed buildings, good transit, and great food. I don't wanna ever go back to the states.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kashuno posted:

This is it guys. I finally found the city for me. poo poo tons of canals, tightly packed buildings, good transit, and great food. I don't wanna ever go back to the states.

At some point you should visit Venice. Loved that place.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Venice was cool, I went to a sweet mask shop while I was there and looked at masks. You could do that. Gondola rides are pretty overpriced though.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Kashuno posted:

As opposed to Boston which is just poo poo tons of tightly packed transit :j: Have fun out there and don't do anything I wouldn't do!

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Podima posted:

At some point you should visit Venice. Loved that place.

LA beaches are terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Murmur Twin posted:

As opposed to Boston which is just poo poo tons of tightly packed transit :j: Have fun out there and don't do anything I wouldn't do!

That gives me tons of freedom so I'm good! :v: