Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Swartz posted:

Tried this. 60fps wasn't any more jarring, so maybe 120/144 will be fine for me. Thanks for the idea.

I'm guessing some people assume refresh rates would be jarring if they've seen enough TVs that advertise themselves as 120Hz and been put off- those are totally different, though. Those just take a 60Hz signal and apply a smooth motion filter that looks awkward and kind of creepy more often than not.

If the artificial nature of moving on-screen images give you anxiety, I'd wager that higher refresh rates may actually help the problem instead of aggravating it. The closer to human persistence of vision the image becomes, the more natural and realistic it should appear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Zorilla posted:

I'm guessing some people assume refresh rates would be jarring if they've seen enough TVs that advertise themselves as 120Hz and been put off- those are totally different, though. Those just take a 60Hz signal and apply a smooth motion filter that looks awkward and kind of creepy more often than not.

If the artificial nature of moving on-screen images give you anxiety, I'd wager that higher refresh rates may actually help the problem instead of aggravating it. The closer to human persistence of vision the image becomes, the more natural and realistic it should appear.

Yeah, that sounds pretty accurate.

So I guess I will go for 120/144hz IPS w/ G-Sync or FreeSync (depends what card I get this generation). Hopefully they'll have all this in 10-bit color this generation that don't cost more than say $700.
e: for 1440p that is.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
Is there such thing as a decent 1080p or 1200p ultrawide in the $300 range? I've got a 2008 era 20" 1080p dell with a godawful TN panel. I'd be fine with dual monitors but I can't match with my current and I don't particularly want to buy two new ones. The extra space on an ultrawide would be good enough for my purposes (side-by-side game windows) so it seemed like a neat option.

Fruit Chewy fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 22, 2016

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Fruit Chewy posted:

Is there such thing as a decent 1080p or 1200p ultrawide in the $300 range? I've got a 2008 era 20" 1080p dell with a godawful TN panel. I'd be fine with dual monitors but I can't match with my current and I don't particularly want to buy two new ones. The extra space on an ultrawide would be good enough for my purposes (side-by-side game windows) so it seemed like a neat option.

I don't know that anybody is really trying to kill it in the 29" UW space like they are in the 34" UW. The Dell U2913WM is a little bit spendier than your price range but probably can be found on sale not far off. That being said, if saving up a bit more money isn't out of the question, the Dell U3415W can be had on refurb at the $650ish price range where you get into the 'holy poo poo this is a good monitor' grade.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Fruit Chewy posted:

Massdrop have a LG 29 inch ultrawide for $300 at the moment. It has freesync and believe runs at 75Hz. 2 days left on the drop.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

Prince John posted:

Does anyone have experience with the Dell Ultrasharp u2515h? I've seen some good reviews online, but always good to get some goon experiences.

I got one last month and I think it's amazing. The picture is crisp, bright and the colours are vivid. For reference my old monitor is a VA panel Eizo and this thing beats it 10-0 in everything else but black level.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
So I'm not a 100% I'm in the right place, but figured if anyone would know it would be the fine folks in this thread.

Presently I'm gaming with my PS4 but I'm using a 22in Asus monitor. It's a wonderful piece of kit for me when ever I'm mobile or lazy, but I'm thinking I want to move up to like a real rear end TV size. I'm thinking my Cost range will be from 300-400 at the most hopefully. It's a PS4 so I doubt I'll ever need to go above 1080p. I really really want a display that can do colors really well as well as not be to "over bright". What I mean by that is my ASUS always seems way to bright, in games and stuff when setting contrast it's almost always the case that I can see both halves of whatever it's comparing for "if you can see this turn down the contrast/brightness!"

I honestly and truly have no idea where to start. I know what I want I think, but I keep finding like super new models and I really don't think those are going to be what I want. I would rather not pay extra for smart features or whatever new hotness if I don't have to. I've never owned a TV in my life and have spent my last 6 years I think with this monitor so I'm just sort of overwhelmed with trying to identify what it is I really need.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice, I really need it and do appreciate it.

Iamthegibbons
Apr 9, 2009

Metanaut posted:

I got one last month and I think it's amazing. The picture is crisp, bright and the colours are vivid. For reference my old monitor is a VA panel Eizo and this thing beats it 10-0 in everything else but black level.

I also bought the Dell U2515h nearly a year ago now. Overall I'm very pleased by this monitor. 25" on 1440p is very crisp and looks great providing you can give it enough scaling (at least for my eyes).

The upsides:
- It has a fantastic stand (that easily rotates, has decent cable management & a huge range of height adjustment)
- Great connectivity (Lots of USB ports & outputs)
- Excellent fidelity
- Great colours at all horizontal viewing angles
- Very elegant looks with nice slim bezels (only monitor I ever owned that people complimented on appearance)

The downsides:
- I noticed one stuck pixel, which I think may have been there for a while. The pixels are quite small so that it's pretty hard to find it again if you don't know exactly where to look.
- The capacitive buttons are annoying
- It has some backlight bleed as per IPS standard, only really noticable in the dark though. In this circumstance, it benefits from applying some bias lighting to the back of the monitor.

As a caveat, this is probably the most expensive monitor I've owned. I moved up to this from a 22" 1680x1050 Samsung TN panel.

Iamthegibbons fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 22, 2016

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Moochewmoo posted:

So I'm not a 100% I'm in the right place, but figured if anyone would know it would be the fine folks in this thread.

Presently I'm gaming with my PS4 but I'm using a 22in Asus monitor. It's a wonderful piece of kit for me when ever I'm mobile or lazy, but I'm thinking I want to move up to like a real rear end TV size. I'm thinking my Cost range will be from 300-400 at the most hopefully. It's a PS4 so I doubt I'll ever need to go above 1080p. I really really want a display that can do colors really well as well as not be to "over bright". What I mean by that is my ASUS always seems way to bright, in games and stuff when setting contrast it's almost always the case that I can see both halves of whatever it's comparing for "if you can see this turn down the contrast/brightness!"

I honestly and truly have no idea where to start. I know what I want I think, but I keep finding like super new models and I really don't think those are going to be what I want. I would rather not pay extra for smart features or whatever new hotness if I don't have to. I've never owned a TV in my life and have spent my last 6 years I think with this monitor so I'm just sort of overwhelmed with trying to identify what it is I really need.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice, I really need it and do appreciate it.

You probably want this thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3523461

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009

Ah man. Well thanks for the reference.

gurney
Feb 17, 2016

by Shine
Is this a recommended monitor?

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Gaming-S2716DG-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B0149QBOF0/ref=pd_cp_147_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0YS8S9068JYCBEAHX4H0

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

It's TN, so no. Have a read of the OP for the difference between that and an IPS.

gurney
Feb 17, 2016

by Shine

tarbrush posted:

It's TN, so no. Have a read of the OP for the difference between that and an IPS.

I know the difference and own an IPS panel.

So any reliable good 144 hz Gsynch IPS 1440p panels out there?

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Acer XB270HU
Acer XB271HU
Asus PG279Q

Pretty sure that's still it.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

gurney posted:

I know the difference and own an IPS panel.

So any reliable good 144 hz Gsynch IPS 1440p panels out there?

It's an excellent monitor if you aren't some sort of IPS zealot.

Otherwise you have 3 choices for IPS 1440p 144hz and expect to return multiple units before you get one that isn't total poo poo.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Psyker posted:

Otherwise you have 3 choices for IPS 1440p 144hz and expect to return multiple units before you get one that isn't total poo poo.

Dunno man, was able to get a perfect XB270HU on my first try.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

Etrips posted:

Dunno man, was able to get a perfect XB270HU on my first try.

Same. It seems to be less of a gamble now.

Though for TN and IPS, you really need to see them in person. I wasn't fully convinced IPS was the way to go until I looked at one and a TN panel with similar specs.

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

I ended up going with a Dell S2716DG as well, despite the TN-ness, and it arrives tomorrow. Although, mind you, I did end up getting a pretty sharp deal on it by getting it for $600 plus a $200 Dell Giftcard I can sell off.

I have a big beautiful TV for movies and shows, a great Dell IPS for any image editing, I can handle the slight color shift and muted colors trade off for lower response lag and better refresh rates for video games.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I'm looking for a not-too-expensive 27" 1440p monitor but am not picky about refresh rate.

How's this one: BenQ GW2765HT http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-GW2765HT-27-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00KYCSRSG? The reviews look solid and the price seems great.

I was considering getting one of the Korean ones but found a bunch of conflicting info about how to get a not-broken one, and that warranties were nonexistent, that it seems too risky.

Snakes in a can
May 14, 2014

Shear Modulus posted:

I'm looking for a not-too-expensive 27" 1440p monitor but am not picky about refresh rate.

How's this one: BenQ GW2765HT http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-GW2765HT-27-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00KYCSRSG? The reviews look solid and the price seems great.

I was considering getting one of the Korean ones but found a bunch of conflicting info about how to get a not-broken one, and that warranties were nonexistent, that it seems too risky.

I bought one of those korean ones (yamakasi catleap) and its been drat good to me for the time ive had it (around 3 years now), it does have like 2 or 3 dead pixels near the coroners but they are so small its only noticeable when you look hard. If you got the cash though get a name brand with warranty, 27 inch 1440 IPS are dirt cheap now.

On a side note i am looking at buying a LG 25um65 for a second screen, anyone have opinions on them? google/newegg reviews look reasonably good.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Shear Modulus posted:

Plenty of goons have gotten good Korean monitors with no issues what so ever, I think you're fears are a bit overblown, especially if you stick to the recommended sellers which are greensum and dreamseller.

If you plan on gaming the Korean monitors are better. Many of them can overclock and since they are single input, they have very low input lag. If you don't, I guess the BenQ has more inputs and may have better calibration out of the box.

Iamthegibbons
Apr 9, 2009
If any of you have experience with dual monitor setups, how important would you consider matching to be?

Currently I have my Dell U2515h as a solo monitor (25" 1440p IPS panel). I was originally gonna just throw in a refurb of the same model. However, I've had this maybe dumb idea of just getting a 27" 1440p Korean model (Crossover 2795 QHD) to pair with it. Is this worthless when the difference is only 2"? The Dell does seem appealing to dual with its small bezel & good warranty. 25" is just maybe a tad small.

I mostly use my monitor for productivity, but do game sometimes and thought that the access to overclocking could be a nice option. Both ought to set me back a similar amount

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Psyker posted:

I'm sorry about your poor vision :shobon:

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

Iamthegibbons posted:

The downsides:
- I noticed one stuck pixel, which I think may have been there for a while. The pixels are quite small so that it's pretty hard to find it again if you don't know exactly where to look.
- The capacitive buttons are annoying
- It has some backlight bleed as per IPS standard, only really noticable in the dark though. In this circumstance, it benefits from applying some bias lighting to the back of the monitor.

As a caveat, this is probably the most expensive monitor I've owned. I moved up to this from a 22" 1680x1050 Samsung TN panel.

Yeah, the buttons kinda suck. It usually takes couple of presses to active power etc.

At least mine came with the Dell no dead/stuck pixels guarantee.

Iamthegibbons
Apr 9, 2009

Metanaut posted:

Yeah, the buttons kinda suck. It usually takes couple of presses to active power etc.

At least mine came with the Dell no dead/stuck pixels guarantee.

I think mine came with the same policy, but I don't really want to return a monitor for one tiny pixel. I have to really look to find it.

Iamthegibbons fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Feb 23, 2016

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Iamthegibbons posted:

If any of you have experience with dual monitor setups, how important would you consider matching to be?

Currently I have my Dell U2515h as a solo monitor (25" 1440p IPS panel). I was originally gonna just throw in a refurb of the same model. However, I've had this maybe dumb idea of just getting a 27" 1440p Korean model (Crossover 2795 QHD) to pair with it. Is this worthless when the difference is only 2"? The Dell does seem appealing to dual with its small bezel & good warranty. 25" is just maybe a tad small.

I mostly use my monitor for productivity, but do game sometimes and thought that the access to overclocking could be a nice option. Both ought to set me back a similar amount

I think it depends on how OCD you are. For me personally, having two non-matching monitors would drive me absolutely insane.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

It doesn't bother me at all, I have one 1440 and one 1080 hah

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Iamthegibbons posted:

I have a 27" 1440p korean special monitor alongside an old Sony 15" 1024x768 thing from the early 2000s.

Works fine, I just use the small one for chat, torrents etc anyway.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

Stanley Pain posted:

See, I have excellent vision but the upcharge for an IPS monitor of questionable quality isn't worth it to me yet.

In my next build cycle, absolutely though.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Stanley Pain posted:

My previous monitor had a VA panel with literally 179 degree view angles, and I still consider myself a snob in that regard. But this Dell is quite alright for a TN panel. Stuff like the greys on the forum layout do change intensity when you nod your head up and down, so you wouldn't want to do graphics design on it, but the effect is not as strong as to be distracting or forcing you to sit in a particular way, like with some older screens. The sweet spot is pretty reasonably large. In games on the other hand you honestly wouldn't notice the TN-ness.

Given also also decent black levels, no backlight bleed and being $200-$300 cheaper than similar IPS options, this is a pretty good monitor.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I can't stand TN panels. I've seen some good ones and would agree that a "really good TN" is more than usable it becomes less so when you have it next to an actually good monitor. Heck right now I have a 4k IPS next to a 1440p PLS and I want to punch the PLS panel.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Stanley Pain posted:

I can't stand TN panels. I've seen some good ones and would agree that a "really good TN" is more than usable it becomes less so when you have it next to an actually good monitor. Heck right now I have a 4k IPS next to a 1440p PLS and I want to punch the PLS panel.

I'd argue it's just a shittier monitor (as a whole, every company has shitters sometimes) then, because it's just Samsung's version of IPS, and ime there is little difference between similarly priced displays.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I am seeing the first user reviews of the ASUS PG348Q popping up and they are 5 stars across the board. Probably paid for :tinfoil:
Has anyone seen one in the wild or bought one yet?

Aside from the hefty price tag, this looks like the first 34" ultrawide without any drawbacks or compromises.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Just confirming, Crossover 2795 are the Korean overclocking QHD monitors of choice at the moment yeah?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

xcore posted:

Just confirming, Crossover 2795 are the Korean overclocking QHD monitors of choice at the moment yeah?

Yes, the 2795QHD

Be careful, the 27QHD is a completely different mode from crossover.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

mcbexx posted:

I am seeing the first user reviews of the ASUS PG348Q popping up and they are 5 stars across the board. Probably paid for :tinfoil:

Aside from the hefty price tag, this looks like the first 34" ultrawide without any drawbacks or compromises.

I just got a refurb Acer X34, which is the same panel. It is quite awesome. Mine only OCs to 95hz, instead of 100, but for roughly half the price, I'm happy.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

VulgarandStupid posted:

I just got a refurb Acer X34, which is the same panel. It is quite awesome. Mine only OCs to 95hz, instead of 100, but for roughly half the price, I'm happy.

Try to get it to hit 96hz. It's a multiple of 24hz and should make film-derived content look better.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

SwissCM posted:

Try to get it to hit 96hz. It's a multiple of 24hz and should make film-derived content look better.

Its not on option on the OSD, so no. Also it has G-sync anyway.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

mcbexx posted:

Yeah I think the Predator X34 has no drawbacks at half the price once you get what you ordered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

mcbexx posted:

Yes, it's amazing. The price was hard to swallow initially but I have zero complaints. I'm about to head off to work but tell me what details you'd like to know and I'll try my best to answer them.