Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

Choco1980 posted:

Also, I think you missed bosses WAAAY back early in the game. I KNOW you haven't fought the twins yet behind the bridge. Remember where you had that long talk with the girl that didn't really matter but took forever on like, the second screen after the first town? There's a little exit upward on the left hand side, where a double boss sits.
OK so I'm pretty sure multiple people have told us about the twins already, but as we will demonstrate in the coming few episodes, our memory for such things is somewhere between the capacity of a prokaryote and a goldfish.

Lizard Wizard posted:

I think I explained it already, but: basically, when you do anything that restores stamina beyond full, you get some max power. Mystery solved, I hope!
Ahh I missed this somehow. Good to know. I think I'm maxed out already (127, right?), but Dvid might have a ways to go.

Niggurath posted:

I don't know if you'll ever want to after playing this one so much, but if you ever get the chance maybe give the GBA version of this game a try: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONHTIjY-MoI. It looks like it might be good moddable fun for you two.
Thanks! The moddability looks really interesting actually, I bet it could allow for some hilarious moments. We might check this out for some bonus episodes.

Soooo about finding those missing bosses...

Part 15: BRASS FUCKLE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

crab avatar posted:

OK so I'm pretty sure multiple people have told us about the twins already, but as we will demonstrate in the coming few episodes, our memory for such things is somewhere between the capacity of a prokaryote and a goldfish.

Oh you definitely convinced me when you two started talking about how you remember me or someone else mentioning the boss in the little park area with the toilets and how you should go investigate...then immediately do the opposite. That guy, and the twins are all you're missing that are available right now I believe. Beat the guy in the park and Thor will appear at the end of the long factory with the pits in it. Beat the twins and they start showing up in front of the sauna. Beat both of those fights and the guy guarding the gate to the high school appears. Beat him and you can go in and start fighting the last few screens (which almost all have bosses on them fyi)

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
But before any of that, you should go back to the very first mall and get Acro Circus.

Namingway
Jul 8, 2009
Bosses have a 100% spawn rate. There will be exactly 4 gang members that must die or run away before the boss spawns. If you have beaten the boss before, they will mention it on the text at the bottom. Some bosses must be beaten to trigger subsequent bosses. There is a certain chance in any given screen that no gang will claim that territory. If that happens, no boss will spawn. Bennie and Clyde are not the twins, and they are not necessary to beat the game. They mostly exist to farm money from, since you don't have to beat up a gang to spawn them, and they hang out near or inside of towns.

Just in case you don't figure that out before the next recording session.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Namingway posted:

Bosses have a 100% spawn rate. There will be exactly 4 gang members that must die or run away before the boss spawns. If you have beaten the boss before, they will mention it on the text at the bottom. Some bosses must be beaten to trigger subsequent bosses. There is a certain chance in any given screen that no gang will claim that territory. If that happens, no boss will spawn. Bennie and Clyde are not the twins, and they are not necessary to beat the game. They mostly exist to farm money from, since you don't have to beat up a gang to spawn them, and they hang out near or inside of towns.

Just in case you don't figure that out before the next recording session.

Bennie and Clyde are very much referred to as twins. Just not identical ones.

actual Identical twins as bosses in this game just sounds absurd...

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012

Choco1980 posted:

Bennie and Clyde are very much referred to as twins. Just not identical ones.

actual Identical twins as bosses in this game just sounds absurd...

(cue familiar theme song...)

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

And on that note, we need to shut up, because that's one surprise I don't want spoiled for our everloving bad gamers and the few audience members that don't know about it.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Choco1980 posted:

And on that note, we need to shut up, because that's one surprise I don't want spoiled for our everloving bad gamers and the few audience members that don't know about it.

But why? I thought everyone knew Danny DeVito and Arnold Schwarzenegger were in this game?

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

armoredgorilla posted:

But before any of that, you should go back to the very first mall and get Acro Circus.
This is definitely on our bucket list.

Thank you everyone for tipping us off on the location of Benny & Clyde...

I don't really know what to tell you. This happened:

Part 16: GETTING IMPATIENT

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
I wish I could put this entire affair in a gif format cause it was all so wonderful; gently caress, I'm always falling behind in videos.
https://zippy.gfycat.com/MeagerDaringCoypu.webm

Also I remembered another possibly fun Japanese teen delinquent beat'em up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc8G_1suvI0&t=66s

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 14, 2016

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Welp. 20 minutes of not realizing there's a pathway on the lefthand side of the bridge to where the bosses are in their own screen.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

Choco1980 posted:

Welp. 20 minutes of not realizing there's a pathway on the lefthand side of the bridge to where the bosses are in their own screen.
Ugh I know. Rewatching this episode during editing it was the second most painful experience I've had regarding this channel yet. As for the most painful moment, well, let's just say you'll know it when you see it.

Niggurath posted:

I wish I could put this entire affair in a gif format cause it was all so wonderful; gently caress, I'm always falling behind in videos.
https://zippy.gfycat.com/MeagerDaringCoypu.webm
Hahaha we couldn't make this poo poo up. Added to the OP.

Niggurath posted:

Also I remembered another possibly fun Japanese teen delinquent beat'em up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc8G_1suvI0&t=66s
Looks interesting. Is PSP emulation a thing yet? Also, what the hell was that part with the trash talking?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

crab avatar posted:

Looks interesting. Is PSP emulation a thing yet? Also, what the hell was that part with the trash talking?

It is, but the game crashes pretty hard after the first fight.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8
UGH

Part 17: I NEED A BREAK

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
I'm sorry to admit this, but I laughed my head off at your unfortunate tumble.

My suggestion: I've never found Fatal Steps to be very useful. You might consider Grand Slam first.

David Corbett fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Feb 18, 2016

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Yeah, I got bad news, you still have to backtrack. Blade is way back in the red colored park with the toilets and pipes. Yeah, nothing tells you this. You have to fight him before Thor shows up in the blue room of the factory. Then you'll be ready for the high school.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

David Corbett posted:

I'm sorry to admit this, but I laughed my head off at your unfortunate tumble.
At your service. :tipshat: There's more where that came from!

Choco1980 posted:

Yeah, I got bad news, you still have to backtrack. Blade is way back in the red colored park with the toilets and pipes. Yeah, nothing tells you this. You have to fight him before Thor shows up in the blue room of the factory. Then you'll be ready for the high school.
Gotcha. When we were recording we actually had to hit up a walkthrough for this (seemed faster than skimming this thread -- gotta take notes in the future) as evidenced below:

Part 18: COMPELLING GAMEPLAY

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Oh man, that twist ending!

Also, yeah, that blue room in the factory is Thor's area. He's the only guy stopping you from the endgame now.

Also also, Acro Circus was way back in the first town and costs less than $40.

mkwong98
Feb 8, 2013
Good job jumping across that gap! Ryan couldn't jump across because he didn't stick to the top wall where the gap is the narrowest.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8
So close!! And yet so far...

Part 19: IVANA FIGHT THIS GUY

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Yeah, I hate to break it to you, but Acro Circus was ALLLL the way back in the first town's book store. When you have it, your jumps now have you roll into a ball sonic style and hurt enemies in mid air. Your height of your jump gets mildly effected. As I said previously, Fatal Steps is very situational, like Javelin Man, where in that one's case when an enemy is lying on the ground, you can do more damage by running across them. I think this is the only way to kill enemies while they're on the ground. Finally, Grand Slam is the one you SHOULD have saved up for. It's a baseball term so US players probably realize where it's going with it. It lets you swing weapons quickly just like stone hands and dragon feet do with punches and kicks.

Did you notice Ivan killed you at the end with a headbutt? From now on, bosses have unique attacks. It doesn't effect gameplay THAT much, but it's a neat thing to notice.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

https://zippy.gfycat.com/CloudyImaginaryBlackfootedferret.webm

Another really fun video and I'm glad you guys were finally able to get Man Javelin, but jeez, you probably should have taken a break before recording this cause you sounded so burnt out. Maybe you could have had more of those weird nut snacks you ate in the Blackthorne videos.

https://zippy.gfycat.com/InfantileRectangularDrongo.webm

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Feb 25, 2016

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8
I'm not really feelin' the Javelin Man to be honest, maybe because it requires actually observing your surroundings before executing it, which as you might have gathered is not reeeeaally my forte.

Niggurath posted:

https://zippy.gfycat.com/CloudyImaginaryBlackfootedferret.webm

Another really fun video and I'm glad you guys were finally able to get Man Javelin, but jeez, you probably should have taken a break before recording this cause you sounded so burnt out. Maybe you could have had more of those weird nut snacks you ate in the Blackthorne videos.

https://zippy.gfycat.com/InfantileRectangularDrongo.webm

Excellent submissions for the Page 1 GIF gallery as usual. Good call on the Krekk. Keeping up energy levels for 5+ hour recording sessions is hard work!

Part 20: CHECK THAT FLANK

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
I can't believe you're going to leave me hanging like that. Buying Acro Circus and not using it.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

If you guys ever become tired of my gifs or if they are taking up too much space just tell me, but I do enjoy capturing these sweet moments.
https://zippy.gfycat.com/AdventurousInnocentDragonfly.webm

Also if I remember correctly Dracula X was pretty much a gutted version of Rondo of Blood, since that didn't receive a release outside of Japan till much later as an add-on for the PSP Dracula X Chronicles. Like I think Dracula X left out stages, and secrets like being able to find Maria....or something like that. All I remember is that it was super inferior to Rondo of Blood. I would say that Castlevania 4 might be a fun blind project for you guys to do next or poo poo, maybe suffering through Castlevania 64.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

armoredgorilla posted:

I can't believe you're going to leave me hanging like that. Buying Acro Circus and not using it.
What can I say, we are kind of the masters of suspense. Take that, one person on internet that was looking forward to this!!

Let me break this down:
  • I run into a wall and bounce off...
  • ...very narrowly avoiding a tire thrown by an enemy while I'm mid-air...
  • ...thereby allowing the tire to bounce off something else and kill me by hitting me going at a whopping 0.23mph.
Last time I experienced this kind of depth in emergent gameplay was when I was way into NetHack about a decade ago. Just brilliant. (Keep the GIFs coming, dude.)

I'm not sure we want to subject ourselves to the abomination that is Castlevania 64, but IV looks really cool and Dvid would probably love it.

crab avatar fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Feb 28, 2016

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
So I did a search and I'm legitimately shocked that this didn't seem to come up in the thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHWDEs434hA

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

armoredgorilla posted:

So I did a search and I'm legitimately shocked that this didn't seem to come up in the thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHWDEs434hA

Huh. Surprised that this is technically an official sequel (to the US version at least). They have the rights to the ip, and they even have the guy who made RCR and Double Dragon on as their creative consultant. I'm a little interested, I'll admit.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

Part 21: OMELETTE DU TURQUOISE

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Yessss YESSSSS

Now crank your strength and agility and destroy everything in your way

Also, Acro Circus will make you rebound off of walls, so have fun abusing that.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8
Really, really liking Acro Circus so far. So powerful!

Part 22: EAT MY FLIP

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
You're killing Benny and Clyde the same way I do now.

By flipping into them to death.

:allears:

You've grown so much.

Ben Carsons Ghost
Oct 27, 2007

Grand Slam and a chain (for maximum reach) and max weapon stat is 100% of my endgame

e: Also for jumping that gap in the factory, take one step down from the very top. The top is closer than the bottom, so take advantage of it. If one of you is better at jumping it than the other, you can carry each other. Just stand where the other one is standing and jump, it should put you right in the other guys hands. I don't remember if carrying things / people slows you down or affects your jumps but I don't think it does.

Ben Carsons Ghost fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 7, 2016

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The music in this game is a much better earworm than Bubble Bobble.
Are there sprites for every item in the stores?

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Hey guys, I'm really enjoying the thread. That last video was filled with suspense as I was not sure if Grand Slam would ever be discovered. One more grindfest to add Weapon power?

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Every time he didn't pick up the stick from the twins after getting grand slam I cringed.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8

Moxie posted:

Hey guys, I'm really enjoying the thread. That last video was filled with suspense as I was not sure if Grand Slam would ever be discovered. One more grindfest to add Weapon power?
Thank you! <3 Unfortunately for you I think we passed on improving our weapon stats for whatever reason. I think we're just too used to simple punching and kicking, or it could be that our brains' capacities simply cannot hold in the knowledge and focus required for weapons.

moller posted:

Every time he didn't pick up the stick from the twins after getting grand slam I cringed.
I'm so proud of us. :allears:

DrHolmesPhD posted:

e: Also for jumping that gap in the factory, take one step down from the very top. The top is closer than the bottom, so take advantage of it. If one of you is better at jumping it than the other, you can carry each other. Just stand where the other one is standing and jump, it should put you right in the other guys hands. I don't remember if carrying things / people slows you down or affects your jumps but I don't think it does.
We took the scummy way out. :c00lbutt:

Part 23: PERSONAL BODYGUARD

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ł, cħ gøÐ i- <Ecl8
Hell yeah, we are ready.

Part 24: HIGH SCHOOL

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I thought that music halfway was starting to sound familiar, then god drat, they really did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Scalding Coffee posted:

I thought that music halfway was starting to sound familiar, then god drat, they really did it.

I heard that music and started mentally playing through the first stage...

• Locked thread