Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Let's Play Anarchy Reigns

Platinum Games makes the best beat 'em ups. There's no question about that. But one of their titles was sorely under-loved, and I intend to fix that. Max Anarchy/Anarchy Reigns is a 3d beat 'em up/hack n slash that takes Madworld's narrative themes and character, completely re-purposing them for a new universe. It's childish, humorous, action-packed, compelling, and even thought-provoking. I would even go as far to call it my second favorite Platinum game, right behind Metal Gear Rising. The game didn't fare so well in English markets because it's really weird and goofy and extremely Japanese. Who gives a poo poo though? I had a literal manic episode because I picked this game back up and started playing it again. You're going to sit through this rollercoaster and fuckin' like it. This game deserves someone unreasonably excited to show it off to its fullest.

I will be going for Platinum medals, nothing else will do. Also we're playing through all the missions of course.

Videos:

Thank you for watching!

Intro text in case you can't read it:

A distant future finds the world in continued chaos.

International incidents between global powers quickly turned to international conflicts between global armies, and the full arsenal of atomic, biological, and chemical weapons assured the mutual destruction of those foolish enough to resort to their use. Terrorist acts in the name of deity and destitute soon exploded around the globe, and the very concept of peace was lost forever.

As emerging economies threw the hazardous byproducts of their success into the land, sea, and air, unknown illness and birth defects began to change humanity in unexpected, grotesque ways.

Humans found a way to survive.

Nanomachines could dramatically lower the naturally occurring rate of mutation, and developments in cybernetics provided a way to compensate for lost limbs and broken DNA.

However, even these advances could not drag the world out of anarchy. The rule of law had yieled to the supremacy of one's own greed.

In the ruined city of Altambra, two men arrive on different paths: A Chaser sweeping the area for a missing man, and a Sweeper chasing after a renegade traitor. For these two men, no plan is every straight-forward, and no path is ever traveled alone.

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Mar 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

For some reason 720/1080p hasn't been enabled on the video yet, which is unusual. My apologies, but it should fix itself soon.

Edit: 720p is working now. Sorry, not sure why this one took longer to process HD than usual.

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Feb 23, 2016

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Sasha being exasperated with Nikolai is more funny than it has the right to be, considering I know jack poo poo about this game.

Do you have a text dump of the intro? It's kinda hard to read.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

HardDisk posted:

Sasha being exasperated with Nikolai is more funny than it has the right to be, considering I know jack poo poo about this game.

Do you have a text dump of the intro? It's kinda hard to read.

It is? I suppose I could type it out, sure.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

A distant future finds the world in continued chaos.

International incidents between global powers quickly turned to itnernational conflicts between global armies, and the full arsenal of atomic, biological, and chemical weapons assured the mutual destruction of those foolish enough to resort to their use. Terrorist acts in the name of deity and destitute soon exploded around the globe, and the very concept of peace was lost forever.

As emerging economies threw the hazardous byproducts of their success into the land, sea, and air, unknown illness and birth defects began to change humanity in unexpected, grotesque ways.

Humans found a way to survive.

Nanomachines could dramatically lower the naturally occurring rate of mutation, and developments in cybernetics provided a way to compensate for lost limbs and broken DNA.

However, even these advances could not drag the world out of anarchy. The rule of law had yieled to the supremacy of one's own greed.

In the ruined city of Altambra, two men arrive on different paths: A Chaser sweeping the area for a missing man, and a Sweeper chasing after a renegade traitor. For these two men, no plan is every straight-forward, and no path is ever traveled alone.

Now added to the OP as well.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

gently caress yes i'm glad sombody is finally LP'ing this game! A shame that it didn't do well here because this game's multiplayer is ridiculously fun and addicting. A shame you're playing on PS3 otherwise i'd join in on the multiplayer fun. You ARE planning for multiplayer fun right?

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
I was really excited for this game after playing MadWorld back when, but then news about it kind of petered out. To be honest, without the commentary from Greg Proops and John DiMaggio, it feels a little less awesome, but it still looks rad as hell and distinctly Platinum.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Never even played the game, but I spent over a year driving to the soundtrack near-exclusively. :allears:

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

gently caress yes i'm glad sombody is finally LP'ing this game! A shame that it didn't do well here because this game's multiplayer is ridiculously fun and addicting. A shame you're playing on PS3 otherwise i'd join in on the multiplayer fun. You ARE planning for multiplayer fun right?

I have a few friends I believe I can get in on this with, but we'll see. The multiplayer can be pretty dead, and I doubt it's gotten less deader.

EclecticTastes posted:

I was really excited for this game after playing MadWorld back when, but then news about it kind of petered out. To be honest, without the commentary from Greg Proops and John DiMaggio, it feels a little less awesome, but it still looks rad as hell and distinctly Platinum.

I always said that if MadWorld was about a world gone mad, Anarchy Reigns is about how a Mad World affects people. They both have very similar themes and style, but Anarchy Reigns is a lot more "personal" and less detached.

Fish Noise posted:

Never even played the game, but I spent over a year driving to the soundtrack near-exclusively. :allears:

The soundtrack is far more popular than the game itself, which is understandable considering it's made exclusively of amazing hip-hop, but I think the game is just as good.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
edit: my whole comment on this was rather awkward and I'm too tired to figure out how to correct it; this game is cool, but MadWorld is cooler...is the gist of it.

Also, I never reached the end, so I'm gonna be following this, too.

Digital Jello fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Feb 23, 2016

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
My opinion on this game is that is sucks total poo poo. Platinum made a game that was very obviously geared towards online multiplayer and proceeded to make that online multiplayer play like total trash between weird minor bugs, huge character imbalances and completely awful netcode. The single player felt like madworld but even more repetitive and without the funny-if-repetitive commentary.

With that said, I'm not someone that won't give a game a second shot, so maybe someone that actually likes this game can make it look way better.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Digital Jello posted:

edit: my whole comment on this was rather awkward and I'm too tired to figure out how to correct it; this game is cool, but MadWorld is cooler...is the gist of it.

Also, I never reached the end, so I'm gonna be following this, too.

Stylistically, MadWorld is superior, and it has the feeling that Platinum was intending to make a classic. Honestly, I do love MadWorld, a lot. It's beyond creative and everyone should play it, but Anarchy Reigns works better for me personally.

darealkooky posted:

My opinion on this game is that is sucks total poo poo. Platinum made a game that was very obviously geared towards online multiplayer and proceeded to make that online multiplayer play like total trash between weird minor bugs, huge character imbalances and completely awful netcode. The single player felt like madworld but even more repetitive and without the funny-if-repetitive commentary.

With that said, I'm not someone that won't give a game a second shot, so maybe someone that actually likes this game can make it look way better.

I don't think the single-player gameplay feels like MadWorld at all, and I would argue that the various objectives keep it from getting stale, but if there's one thing I've found out, it's that beat 'em ups can really grind on some people.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Let's check out the B-Side of that record

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
I'm liking the goofiness.

Especially the robot bartender doing the passive-aggressive action-flipoff.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Fish Noise posted:

I'm liking the goofiness.

Especially the robot bartender doing the passive-aggressive action-flipoff.

There's a pretty serious case of mood whiplash in this game sometimes (though not for a while), which a lot of people apparently found a turn-off, but I dig it. Going immediately from ridiculous comedy to heavy drama is a good way to be.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
Cool! Great choice!

I never got around to this one but I loved Mad World.

Also, this game's soundtrack is linked all over the place.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
By the way, the pieces we've heard so far are Ruthless (first mission)
Over in a Flash (Big Bull fight) and
Play My rear end Off (Durga fight). I've picked videos that have the artist in the description.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I remember this game and its online life with fondness. One of the bigger highlights was scoring 7 kills in a row with Big Bull during a Rampage that I only got away with because everyone else was too busy killing each other. Hard mode was also a pretty big tool for preparing for online nonsense because if you could put up with that level of bullshit, you could put up with anything. It really sucks that Sega ran into some financial trouble that prevented them from promoting this game, or so I recall, but at least I got to get a few solid months in before the online community inevitably dried out. Anyway, consider me interested in this since this game is just great.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"

GamesAreSupernice posted:

The game didn't fare so well in English markets because it's really weird and goofy and extremely Japanese.

No, the reason it didn't fare well was because Sega was being the usual incompetent hacks that they were and pushed the release date forward half a year without even telling Platinum beforehand, even though the game was completely finished. That split up the playerbase to Japan and whoever got the game as an import as per Platinum's suggestions and people who waited until its actual release the following year, which further damaged the game's online due to its reliance on larger-than-usual groups of people.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

ManlyGrunting posted:

By the way, the pieces we've heard so far are Ruthless (first mission)
Over in a Flash (Big Bull fight) and
Play My rear end Off (Durga fight). I've picked videos that have the artist in the description.

The backing track of Play My rear end Off is so good

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

AnotherGamer posted:

No, the reason it didn't fare well was because Sega was being the usual incompetent hacks that they were and pushed the release date forward half a year without even telling Platinum beforehand, even though the game was completely finished. That split up the playerbase to Japan and whoever got the game as an import as per Platinum's suggestions and people who waited until its actual release the following year, which further damaged the game's online due to its reliance on larger-than-usual groups of people.

I imported the Japanese version as soon as it was released because I couldn't wait. Did you know that the Japanese retail release has English on by default?

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
Yeah, I knew that, still wanted to wait in case there'd be more players, guess not.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

AnotherGamer posted:

Yeah, I knew that, still wanted to wait in case there'd be more players, guess not.

Most of the playerbase seemed to be Japanese, yeah

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Don't gently caress with Bar-Bot

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I'll be honest, "I was born horny" got a laugh out of me.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

PureRok posted:

I'll be honest, "I was born horny" got a laugh out of me.

Then I made the right decision.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
What a charming game. :allears:

I vaguely knew this existed, but had no idea what it entailed. It looks amazingly fun and that soundtrack is to die for. Like a more hardcore Jet Set Radio.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Big Bull has the best throw in the game. Also, glad they kept something from MadWorld with the signs, I was kinda bummed when the exploding barrel wasn't first slammed over some dude's head, stuffing him inside before throwing it.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
Do you feel that the generic mooks/every non-boss enemy in the single player is appropriately aggressive based off what playable characters are capable of? I know its pretty early in the game/on normal difficulty/supposed to be multiplayer focused really and not to the scope of say Transformers or Revengeance encounters (at least for the moment) where you can get smacked around pretty easily by enemy combinations but it seems that most enemies are fairly nonaggressive with not a lot of combo attacking going on. Coupling this with fairly powerful strong attacks, half of which can oneshot most guys the combat seems a little lacking. I suppose its a different beast than Platinum's other character action games especially when I know the main draw is the Power Stone multiplayer pvp but I was curious about your thoughts Supernice.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Music for the bar bot was Lights Out by the by.

e: fixed, Over in a Flash is the other song that played, but we've heard that one before.

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 25, 2016

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Haha, 'mutants like to brood in dark, dank places,' nice.

But more importantly, punks wouldn't just mess around with the guy serving them alcohol. Something's happening behind the scenes here.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Pelican Dunderhead posted:

Do you feel that the generic mooks/every non-boss enemy in the single player is appropriately aggressive based off what playable characters are capable of? I know its pretty early in the game/on normal difficulty/supposed to be multiplayer focused really and not to the scope of say Transformers or Revengeance encounters (at least for the moment) where you can get smacked around pretty easily by enemy combinations but it seems that most enemies are fairly nonaggressive with not a lot of combo attacking going on. Coupling this with fairly powerful strong attacks, half of which can oneshot most guys the combat seems a little lacking. I suppose its a different beast than Platinum's other character action games especially when I know the main draw is the Power Stone multiplayer pvp but I was curious about your thoughts Supernice.

None of the absolute weakest mooks really step up to be super challenging, but we will see new enemy types that do the job.

ManlyGrunting posted:

Music for the bar bot was Over in a Flash by the by.

I think you mean "Lights Out"?

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Haha, 'mutants like to brood in dark, dank places,' nice.

But more importantly, punks wouldn't just mess around with the guy serving them alcohol. Something's happening behind the scenes here.

Considering there was apparently an entire loving army pissed at Bar-Bot, I would say so.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Beer Street is the best street.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Samovar posted:

Beer Street is the best street.

But nobody walks on Beer Street.

Everyone hops. :buddy:

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

EclecticTastes posted:

But nobody walks on Beer Street.

Everyone hops. :buddy:

Sunny Day
Sweepin' the clouds away
On my way to where the air is sweet

Can you tell me how to get,
How to get to Beer Street

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
Oh yeah, I remember requesting this game way back in the request thread, good to see it's finally getting its chance!

Showing off multiplayer is a must though, this is the crux of the game after all. You can show off the modes with some bots if you find youself unable to get the thing working (though obviously it's the worst case scenario), there a lot of content there unavailable in single player.

(Also holy poo poo, while I love the tone of the game in general, I forgot how cringeworthy its attempts at drama were.)

Pizdec fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Feb 26, 2016

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Pizdec posted:

Oh yeah, I remember requesting this game way back in the request thread, good to see it's finally getting its chance!

Shwoing off multiplayer is a must though, this is the crux of the game after all. Even do show off the modes with some bots if you find youself unable to get the thing working (though obviously it's the worst case scenario), there a lot of content there unavailable in single player.

(Also holy poo poo, while I love the tone of the game in general, I forgot how cringeworthy its attempts at drama were.)

I feel like the drama is actually pretty decent later in the game, but it's not subtle at all. Midway through the second location for Jack, and at the start of the second location for Leo, is where I think the story starts to feel a bit more genuine.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Also yeah I'll show off the multiplayer, even if it has to be with bots. I think the Story Mode is extremely underrated though so that's why I'm presenting that first.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Sewage is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
Them finishers. So Platinum. :allears:

That was a nice one-two combo at 3:45 with you throwing the flamethrower guy at a group and Leo splattering the remaining survivor with a tire. Kinda makes me wish the game had Story Mode co-op.

BTW. Is it ever explained why cities have a 'transform' function? Is this a guerrilla crossover with TF: Devastation?

• Locked thread