Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Mr. Fortitude posted:

There's not really much to the storyline in any of the games.

Codename 47: You're some clone who's been trained to kill since a kid who escapes during routine training, falls in with an agency who puts hits on people and then find out all of your major targets were part of the French Foreign Legion who were the genetic basis of 47. 47 gets called back to the asylum he escaped from, murders his clone brothers and then the professor who created him.

Silent Assassin: The brother of one of your targets in the first game kidnaps some priest and 47 comes out of retirement to perform hits and retrieve parts of a nuclear missile for him, his identity gets blown and he tries to kill 47, you kill him and save the priest.

Contracts: It was literally all a dream except for the final level.

Blood Money: Some FBI guy is the head of a rival agency who really wants 47 dead, so his death gets faked so he can kill the FBI guy at his own funeral.

Absolution: Turns out the Agency is corrupt and is training a little girl to be a supersoldier killer and 47 doesn't want her to go through the same things he did.

The series works best without much of a story. When the story becomes the focus of the game, like in Absolution then problems arise.

Well there's more to Contracts than that. It's a story-within-a-story. The frame narrative takes place during an off-screen incident in Blood Money that's otherwise only alluded to in that game's dialogue (It occurs to me that if, for some reason, you hadn't played Contracts, you'd have no idea what Diana was talking about when she mentions 47's recovery and you'd have no idea who 47's stalker was in the previous scene, or what happened between them), and rest of the missions are retellings of missions for the first game or other as-yet unknown contracts, presumably those that occurred between the end of Codename 47 and his retirement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Discendo Vox posted:

Dang, I never knew that! It's not listed anywhere!...welp, I know what I need to try out...

Additionally, if you break into the locked wing on the first floor, there's an officer taking a shower in one of the rooms, whose uniform you can swipe when he's not flexing by the mirror. Police will allow you through the detectors when you're in uniform.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
codename 47 was baller cause you're rolling through these places killing dudes cause yeah but turns out they are your dads and the ending is especially cool and if you dont kill final boss dad you gotta restart the whole game

i really liked that thematic isolation in the endings, how its all in some secret place, contrasting with the majority of levels. especially for the endings in codename 47, hitman 2 and blood money

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Kajeesus posted:

Additionally, if you break into the locked wing on the first floor, there's an officer taking a shower in one of the rooms, whose uniform you can swipe when he's not flexing by the mirror. Police will allow you through the detectors when you're in uniform.

That one I did know about- I didn't remember it let me through metal detectors, though- I've always been a fiberwire only target only kinda guy.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

Well there's more to Contracts than that. It's a story-within-a-story. The frame narrative takes place during an off-screen incident in Blood Money that's otherwise only alluded to in that game's dialogue (It occurs to me that if, for some reason, you hadn't played Contracts, you'd have no idea what Diana was talking about when she mentions 47's recovery and you'd have no idea who 47's stalker was in the previous scene, or what happened between them), and rest of the missions are retellings of missions for the first game or other as-yet unknown contracts, presumably those that occurred between the end of Codename 47 and his retirement.

Well yeah, but it was still mostly a dream. Most of the levels in the game were either raining or snowing and that's because subconsciously the rain outside, dripping from the tap in the bathroom, the doctor pouring alcohol onto his wound was influencing them. I don't really count the remade Codename 47 levels in Contracts as canon because of that. Everything is a lot darker and more nightmareish than any other game in the series.

It is kind of cool how it's set immediately after the opera level in Blood Money though and the atmosphere is very stylish and moody, with great music accompanying it. But people calling it Hitman 2.5 and the accusations of it being a pointless filler game aren't entirely unfounded, even though Contracts was the first Hitman game I truly enjoyed and I've got a lot of fondness for (I had played Codename 47 and 2 before but the former was too janky for me to enjoy and the latter had bullshit stealth where everyone gets way too suspicious way too quickly).

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Well yeah, but it was still mostly a dream.

yeah, I'm just saying if you're summarising the plot of the franchise it deserves a little bit more of an elaboration than "it's just a dream".

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Kajeesus posted:

There's a ghost that haunts the spooky wing that you can kill and drag his invisible body around, the guards will see it if you leave it for them to see.

47 is such is a good assassin he kills things that are already dead!

I love the cool little things these games have.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
Isn't there some level where you do some obscure poo poo with the coins and the guards gather in one spot to dance? Hitman has always had some of the coolest easter eggs.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

It's the redneck wedding and it's male strippers instead of guards.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Till Death Do Us Part has a coin lying on the ground in the corner that shooting will cause a dozen naked men to come charging at you to come applaud you.

Curtains Down has a bunch of rats wandering the back halls that if you shoot all of them it spawns a key for a locked door. Behind this door is a tiny poker game being played by rats.

This series has always had the weirdest and best easter eggs. What are some of the others?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
There was also an easter egg on the riverboat level where you can turn everyone into mindless zombies that shamble around.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_j_Jgu1kqU&t=28s

Tumble fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Feb 22, 2016

Hardtarget
Mar 28, 2010

Rolls on Shabbos
hmmm GMG sent me a 25% off coupon that I can use to get the intro pack for like 12 bucks and it includes beta access.

I just don't know, I love hitman, and it looks like fun, but are they gonna gently caress people over on intro -> full pack pricing or who knows? i kinda want to get it as the giantbomb quicklook of the beta looked pretty good.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Hardtarget posted:

hmmm GMG sent me a 25% off coupon that I can use to get the intro pack for like 12 bucks and it includes beta access.

I just don't know, I love hitman, and it looks like fun, but are they gonna gently caress people over on intro -> full pack pricing or who knows? i kinda want to get it as the giantbomb quicklook of the beta looked pretty good.

The 25% off only applies to the intro pack? If it's for full version too, please send to me. I'll use it if you don't.

What I've heard of episodic pricing is $15 for the initial intro pack and then $10 for each addition. I think there are supposed to be 5 additional maps. So if you buy episodically the total would be $65. Not a huge loss to buy per episode if you end up liking it. With 25% off the intro it would only end up costing you $2 more.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Mierenneuker posted:

It's the redneck wedding and it's male strippers instead of guards.

You can also get the guards to line up and riverdance on Amendment XXV.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Look Sir Droids posted:

The 25% off only applies to the intro pack? If it's for full version too, please send to me. I'll use it if you don't.

What I've heard of episodic pricing is $15 for the initial intro pack and then $10 for each addition. I think there are supposed to be 5 additional maps. So if you buy episodically the total would be $65. Not a huge loss to buy per episode if you end up liking it. With 25% off the intro it would only end up costing you $2 more.

No, it works for the full version too. I bought the whole thing via GMG a few days ago. Sadly, it looks like codes aren't reusable so I can't give you the one I used.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Is the beta still working for everyone else?

I get a error that I am not supposed to have access to the game, but going offline works fine. No challenges though. But we do get a list of items we can pick up in the final version, I just can't access it while offline. Gives me hope that we can bring stuff from level to level.

Game in general seems really good after playing the beta, I just hope they keep the same standard the rest of the year.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Dunno-Lars posted:

I get a error that I am not supposed to have access to the game, but going offline works fine.

Now that the beta period is over, the game is only going to be accessible offline. You'll need to find a list of challenges elsewhere and go by those.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Don't do suitonlysa on the boat as it doesn't exist. God damnit...

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

It's certainly possible so I don't know why they left it out.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

You know what else doesn't exist? Murder everyone on the boat.

I murdered everyone on the boat.

I am a winner.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
A mine in the crowd is probably gif-worthy.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01bYEelwwHc

What I assume is the intro cinematic just got released. Whoever's trying to ape Jesper Kyd isn't doing too bad a job, ha.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

There's going to be an OPEN beta for PS4 on 4th March.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I'm pretty sure those kills were from past games. The fugu fish was from the first Japan level in Silent Assassin, the drowning was from C47/Contracts in the hotel and the strangulation was from the first real level of Blood Money I believe.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I'm pretty sure those kills were from past games. The fugu fish was from the first Japan level in Silent Assassin, the drowning was from C47/Contracts in the hotel and the strangulation was from the first real level of Blood Money I believe.

Yeah, this struck me as a way of saying that it isn't a continuity reboot. Those old games happened in the timeline they have here.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

Yeah, this struck me as a way of saying that it isn't a continuity reboot. Those old games happened in the timeline they have here.

From what I understand, the first few levels are set right after the tutorial level of C47 but before the Hong Kong levels of C47 and the rest of the game is set after Absolution.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

A mine in the crowd is probably gif-worthy.
It is hilarious. Certainly on par with detonating a grenade at the glass bottles store in Payday 2.

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Fortitude posted:

From what I understand, the first few levels are set right after the tutorial level of C47 but before the Hong Kong levels of C47 and the rest of the game is set after Absolution.

That would make sense. The guy getting shot through the mirror was a hit from Absolution. Also they have absolutely knocked it out of the park with every one of the trailers for this game.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

I've always enjoyed the series. Although I couldn't go back and play the first 2 again even though Traditions of the Trade(hotel) in HM1 was probably one of the best levels ever in any game. The Japanese levels were the worst in the second game, I tried so hard to get SA rating on expert for the level in the castle I eventually run and gunned the level.

Also I liked how 47's contempt for Agent Smith throughout the series just increased, when 47 'recalls' the Lee Hong Assassination in Contracts and breaks Smith out of the stocks he doesn't care if Smith gets injured and just wants to kill the guy by BM.

I played Absolution for a hour and thought it was a step back for the series, I'm glad there is good word of mouth in this thread.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

You know, the identity of the man who worked alongside Sergei in Hitman 2 never was revealed and 47 never did encounter him. I'm wondering if that new trailer will shed some light on him.

Budzilla posted:

I've always enjoyed the series. Although I couldn't go back and play the first 2 again even though Traditions of the Trade(hotel) in HM1 was probably one of the best levels ever in any game. The Japanese levels were the worst in the second game, I tried so hard to get SA rating on expert for the level in the castle I eventually run and gunned the level.

Also I liked how 47's contempt for Agent Smith throughout the series just increased, when 47 'recalls' the Lee Hong Assassination in Contracts and breaks Smith out of the stocks he doesn't care if Smith gets injured and just wants to kill the guy by BM.

I played Absolution for a hour and thought it was a step back for the series, I'm glad there is good word of mouth in this thread.

I also wonder if Agent Smith will return. Since this game seems to have a bit more of a sense of humor compared to Absolution.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Budzilla posted:

The Japanese levels were the worst in the second game,

GUARDS ARE ON THE LOOKOUT FOR SUSPICIOUS NINJA

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

You know, the identity of the man who worked alongside Sergei in Hitman 2 never was revealed and 47 never did encounter him. I'm wondering if that new trailer will shed some light on him.

That guy (commonly called "Mystery man" by users during the hitman 2 era or Mr. X after his appearance in the absolution sniper challenge) may actually be the person from the trailer. His narrative would match pretty well. On the other hand, he gives off a massive Neeson vibe. As long as it's not more Alpha Zerox poo poo. Other trailer notes:

The establishing helicopter shot is confusing-it doesn't connect to anything else in the trailer. The closest thing in any of the games would be the escape from Shogun Showdown.
With the exception of the A Vintage Year reference, none of the kills depicted can be performed quite as shown.
Rubber Duck appears in the scope before you see it directly.
Paris was the location on the ticket, the location of the narrator, and the location where 47 was shot in Contracts/the leadup to Blood Money.

edit: they may be trying to imply/retcon that this new guy is the one that actually shot 47. I am dumb. The kills are in "chronological" order- the order of games released, though probably not the order they occurred in. It's great that the best they could come up with for Absolution was that horrendous strip club level.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 24, 2016

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer
The helicopter shot is leading to ICA's testing/training facility that you play in the '20 years ago' prologue, and the beta.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

RPS is reporting that bugs are pretty common- and detection ranges are pretty limited. They also have the same complaint about proximity-flagged events. How does this square up with other folks' impressions?

Profanity posted:

The helicopter shot is leading to ICA's testing/training facility that you play in the '20 years ago' prologue, and the beta.

Yeah, I hadn't seen much of the beta "story", so I missed that part-my bad!

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

RPS is reporting that bugs are pretty common- and detection ranges are pretty limited. They also have the same complaint about proximity-flagged events. How does this square up with other folks' impressions?

Yeah, I hadn't seen much of the beta "story", so I missed that part-my bad!

I don't think whoever wrote that article seemed to be aware that the beta difficulty settings was locked at normal and enemy AI is always dumb at that difficulty setting in every Hitman game.

I've also never really encountered any grievous bugs or performance issues that others have reported. Right now my only real issue with the beta is how scripted it is.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah the proximity stuff is a bit annoying. I had managed to sneak, suit only, into the office on the boat level. Then plant a bomb by the computer and make my way to the speedboat for an exit. I was pretty pleased with myself.

Except because I didn't get close enough to trigger the relevant event, the target never went to his meeting. Damnit.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

marktheando posted:

Yeah the proximity stuff is a bit annoying. I had managed to sneak, suit only, into the office on the boat level. Then plant a bomb by the computer and make my way to the speedboat for an exit. I was pretty pleased with myself.

Except because I didn't get close enough to trigger the relevant event, the target never went to his meeting. Damnit.

Thankfully this should be fairly easy to "fix" with Cheatengine, if the game is popular enough for some wizards to figure it out.

How practical the game will be to play with all events triggering straight away remains to be seen, however. As for problems with the beta, I had a crash in the around 2 hours I spent in it. Not too bad, especially since you have savestates and autosaves. It was a different story in the others. A crash could erase a lot of progress.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

If I am a newbie that has never played a hitman game before is there any reason I should be against having to trigger events because I liked it in the beta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

If there were no triggers you'd probably end up spending a lot of time waiting for stuff to happen. I remember being frustrated by a Silent Assassin attempt (or one of the challenges, not sure) of the Chinese New Year level in Absolution simply because there was so much downtime between the first and second kill. Especially since there were a lot of ways to screw up the third one.