Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Are the books better? So far taking shows as recommendations for books has served me well (lately, Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, The Magicians). But I'm having my doubts about this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

My bad then, I put this show on while I work on other things so I listen but don't always watch the screen.

You should do the same with the thread.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Fleve posted:

Are the books better? So far taking shows as recommendations for books has served me well (lately, Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, The Magicians). But I'm having my doubts about this one.

I've really enjoyed the books. But I started reading them in the early 1990's and although the first few were kind of juvenile, so was I. I still read the series as new books come out and I still enjoy them. Of all the stuff in book barn I've always been surprised there isn't a Terry Brooks thread.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Did the books actually have the hippy town where they watched Star Trek? :magical:

Azareil
Feb 24, 2004

It's the destiny of mortals.... Very well. Remember the greatness of my power!
I made up a drinking game with my girlfriend based off this show. Whenever there's a new camera angle, if Wil has his mouth open so you can see his teeth, take a shot.

I ruined the show for my girlfriend when I started pointing out his inability to keep his lips together

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

WarLocke posted:

Did the books actually have the hippy town where they watched Star Trek? :magical:

Huh, that would explain this...

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Shannara_Rozhenko

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

corn in the bible posted:

this show may have the worst costume design i've ever seen

Its pretty bad.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

WarLocke posted:

No. There's very little "modern day" technological artifacts in the books.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

etalian posted:

The poor redshirt gardener guy wise caretaker of the tree was predicably Asian

FTFY. For a show that appears to want to delve into issues of racism it really does a pretty lovely job with its casting.

Tiggum posted:

Speaking of trolls though, we now know that the gnomes are just people, and the trolls are obviously intelligent enough to make truces and deals, so are they just more people too? If so, why do they eat humans? Is it a religious thing? It can't be an efficient food source.

Like someone else said, gnomes, trolls, and and dwarves are mutated from human stock (as implied by the opening credits) and the elves have always been here. It's been about 2,000 years since the apocalypse, and I think nuclear and biological weapons are supposed to explain the rapid mutations.

As to why they eat people... I don't know, but why not? Cannibalism isn't unheard of even in the real world.

Chalk me up as one of those people that disliked MTV(R) Teen Party Town.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

kenny powerzzz posted:

I've really enjoyed the books. But I started reading them in the early 1990's and although the first few were kind of juvenile, so was I. I still read the series as new books come out and I still enjoy them. Of all the stuff in book barn I've always been surprised there isn't a Terry Brooks thread.

Essentially all the things Terry Brooks has written have been part of the Shannara series, right? The only major non-Shannara book I recall him writing was the novelization of The Phantom Menace, bizarrely.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Chairman Capone posted:

Essentially all the things Terry Brooks has written have been part of the Shannara series, right? The only major non-Shannara book I recall him writing was the novelization of The Phantom Menace, bizarrely.

I think so. The Landover series wasn't and I didn't realize there were so many. I read the first few and may do a reread and catch the new ones also.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Chairman Capone posted:

Yeah, the Word and the Void trilogy was (retroactively?) made part of the Shannara series by way of a linking trilogy that leads into the fantasy world of Shannara arising from the wasteland of the world we know.

Landover is completely separate (although I vaguely recall a joking mention of Shannara somewhere in one of the Landover books, or maybe it was vice versa)

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Oasx posted:

Do the books ever hint at how far in the future they take place?

I have no real recollection of them even mentioning the old world other than some insane street sweeping robot or something.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The Spock boo will most likely end up being my favourite TV moments of the year.

Vorgen posted:

You should do the same with the thread.
Sorry I missed some details on the lord of the rings hunger games show, wouldn't want to offend grown man who spent 5 years typing out an RPG.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I only watched the last episode because of everyone flipping their poo poo over Star Trek, but that wasn't nearly as bad as the slow mo EDM montage that followed. :barf:

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

It's time for people to stop thinking they are entitled to everything and work for it
I know this is aimed at an audience of trendy tweens and mid twenties guys who can't tolerate imperfections but I just wish everyone wasn't so offensively good looking....like all the guys are chiselled (even if Wil has a really strange looking face) and all the girls are super slim with glorious hair and slight lesbian tendencies. Can we have at least some token normal looking people?

oh and I love how gloriously inept the highly trained elven guards are. Gnome ninja star to the chest sends one flying!

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

eviljimmy posted:

I know this is aimed at an audience of trendy tweens and mid twenties guys who can't tolerate imperfections but I just wish everyone wasn't so offensively good looking....like all the guys are chiselled (even if Wil has a really strange looking face) and all the girls are super slim with glorious hair and slight lesbian tendencies. Can we have at least some token normal looking people?

This is a complaint leveled against almost every TV show in the modern era, and the answer is a resounding "No."

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

eviljimmy posted:

oh and I love how gloriously inept the highly trained elven guards are. Gnome ninja star to the chest sends one flying!

What's the point of watching a TV show with normal-looking people? That's what real life is for.

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

It's time for people to stop thinking they are entitled to everything and work for it

ShakeZula posted:

This is a complaint leveled against almost every TV show in the modern era, and the answer is a resounding "No."

enraged_camel posted:

What's the point of watching a TV show with normal-looking people? That's what real life is for.

Well yes I get that but most shows have believable levels of attractive, 90% of the cast of this are straight up catwalk looking motherfuckers.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

eviljimmy posted:

Well yes I get that but most shows have believable levels of attractive, 90% of the cast of this are straight up catwalk looking motherfuckers.

Yeah that's just what you have to put up with when it's being aired on MTV. The CW is bad for it as well, but I can't really imagine a network that would put a show like this together and NOT make everyone some super attractive physical specimen. It's just the fad right now in YA/fantasy stuff. I keep laughing every time that long haired baby faced kid takes his shirt off and he's pretty ripped. Like they photoshopped an adult body onto him.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

The Spock boo will most likely end up being my favourite TV moments of the year.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

eviljimmy posted:

Well yes I get that but most shows have believable levels of attractive
Yeah compare these waifs to GoT or Grimm or something and its obvious. Although "attractive" doesnt quite seem right to me. Its that they are all delicate twigs in a land of supposed hardship etc...

eviljimmy posted:

Theyd be safer with a trained badger than they are with those "warriors" around.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I'm glad the recent episode had more elf guard death

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Yeah yeah the show is terrible but the one thing I think they actually did a good job with is Dagda Mor design. Extremely silly tween bullshit then bam something H.R. Giger would've come up with.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ShakeZula posted:

No, the answer is 'watch British shows'. :colbert:

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

Botnit posted:

Yeah yeah the show is terrible but the one thing I think they actually did a good job with is Dagda Mor design. Extremely silly tween bullshit then bam something H.R. Giger would've come up with.

Yeah the bad guy looks like he could have been a major villain in a "Lord of the Rings" movie. That make up is on point.

I do actually like the setting, elves and trolls venturing into old subway tunnels and such is pretty cool.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

eviljimmy posted:

Yeah the bad guy looks like he could have been a major villain in a "Lord of the Rings" movie. That make up is on point.

I do actually like the setting, elves and trolls venturing into old subway tunnels and such is pretty cool.

Agreed, the show isn't stellar but it's still interesting imo.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Choadmaster posted:

Like someone else said, gnomes, trolls, and and dwarves are mutated from human stock (as implied by the opening credits) and the elves have always been here. It's been about 2,000 years since the apocalypse, and I think nuclear and biological weapons are supposed to explain the rapid mutations.

As to why they eat people... I don't know, but why not? Cannibalism isn't unheard of even in the real world.
I know. I'm saying I want to know more about them. The humans and elves basically seem to regard the trolls as monsters, but they're clearly not. It's like the stuff about remnants of civilisation - it's way more interesting than the actual main story.

Speaking of which, this latest episode was pretty boring. Back to elf politics and the main quest. The tunnel and sign were neat, but didn't really shed any light on what made the world this way. Nor do any of the characters (other than those dead racists) really seem to care about the past at all. I know they've got important poo poo to do right now, but like I said, the stuff they're doing is boring.

Best thing about the episode though was the suggestion on the screen near the end that we all start using the hastag #TheLastLeaf. Have they been doing those for each episode and I've just not noticed? Seems like they expect people to be way more engaged with this show than is actually likely.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Tiggum posted:

Best thing about the episode though was the suggestion on the screen near the end that we all start using the hastag #TheLastLeaf. Have they been doing those for each episode and I've just not noticed? Seems like they expect people to be way more engaged with this show than is actually likely.
Yeah those are laugh/groan worthy when those popped up. Something like #LongLiveTheKing or whatever showed up during the coronation scene last episode with Ander and I probably just winced and laughed at the same time.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Choadmaster posted:

and the elves have always been here.
Whats the explanation for this?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

FRINGE posted:

Bitch, I ain't gotta explain magic to you! It just is!

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

No. There's very little "modern day" technological artifacts in the books.

I read a bunch of shannara books as a kid and I never realized it took place on a future Earth. Then again I was not paying much attention when I read them.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

FRINGE posted:

Elves are gonna elf

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
It would be fun if "magic" was just left over technology they didn't understand but could still use.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

FRINGE posted:

They were hiding? It never really gets much into it. (Or didn't in the books I read. I stopped reading partway through the books that bridged Shannara with Knight of the Word, which, to be fair, would be a pretty decent place to get into it.) Just that after the wars that decimated the planet, the Elves came out of hiding. I think it may have coincided with their "hiding place" being destroyed, but either way, they were just in hiding for thousands of years.

How we never found them, or a giant loving tree they were protecting, I don't really remember.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
http://shannara.wikia.com/wiki/Arborlon

Apparently the Elves were hiding in a forest in Oregon until their capital city Arborlon was moved to Spokane Washington at some point before the nuclear holocaust.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Well, that was.... Unimpressive.

Riding south on the beach apparently can get you from California to Washington. (Seriously, just flip the video you loving morons.)

It also does it in what seems to be a day or two. I guess the ride is a lot faster without the love triangle and a rave interrupting things.

It was nice to see Ander's touching moment with his girlfriend before her inevitable death. I was concerned about that important relationship that was a meaningful part of their characters. The fifteen total seconds dedicated to it over the course of the season had really left me hanging.

Elves: Let's form a solid defensive phalanx line on the high ground at the edge of this creek.
Me: Wow, for once they're not total loving m--
King Ander: Hey guys, the demons are coming! Break ranks, leave the high ground, and randomly run at them!!
Me: :cripes:

Badass magic battle between Allanon and the Dagda Mor (and maybe some awesome demon dragons or some other crazy poo poo from the book because come on, gently caress yeah): Nope. But here's a few seconds of them pointing fire sticks at each other though. Cool, right?

Amberle sacrificing herself by becoming the new Ellcrys does not actually involve Amberle becoming a tree like she goddamn should but rather her running though a door and then... Well, that's it. But the tree gets new leaves!

I mean, I wasn't expecting much, though I'll admit I was hoping for at least a slightly better than average (for this show) episode. Always good to know it can reach a new low.

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Mar 2, 2016

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

BTW I'm pretty sure that ditch is the same ditch Amberle and the other Chosen had to jump across in the premiere which is a nice detail.

Also Spartacus fans will notice it but three things stood out to me:

1) KILL THEM ALL
2) Ander killing his brother mirrors the killing of Varro by Spartacus
3) loving arm shakes, the bro-est poo poo ever

Man the sad part is that Austin Butler and Manu Bennett seem to have pretty decent chemistry but the show actively refuses to put them on screen together, which is so stupid.

I thought the fight scenes were pretty good, but then again they had so few of them of course they couldn't just go and make them suck.

karrethuun
Jun 6, 2011
Yeah this show was just bad. The source material isn't that great to be honest, and imo not that well suited to TV. The acting was ok at best, the direction seemed terrible though. Is there a quota of panning shots of the drat capital we need every episode jesus. And I agree with the lack of sense of distance in the show. Arborlon to safehold is supposed to be roughly spokane to san francisco, ~900 miles or so. I'm not sure what beach you ride along for a few hours to get between the 2. If I hadn't been a fan of the series when younger I wouldn't have even bothered with this show. Hopefully this won't deter future fantasy series.

I will say though that hipsters booing spock for being an elf was a high point however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

karrethuun posted:

I will say though that hipsters booing spock for being an elf was a high point however.

If this show gets a second season, I hope there's a lot episodes like that one and less stock high fantasy war stuff.

• Locked thread