Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Great thread, 5 stars! I received this thread at a discount in exchange for my honest and unbiased review. I would give an even more unbiased 6 stars if you paid me to read it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Sears has a red box in their corporate atrium but it's not actually linked to the red box network so someone cut out a giant foam slice of white bread and put it on top with a sign happily proclaiming it the Bread Box

the movies haven't been updated in years

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Some news about Sears. The store I work at is cutting 3 management positions on Friday. They were told about this about a week or two ago and still don't know what their severance packages are if they even get any. The 3 people who got cut have been with Sears for a long time. One I know has been there 20 years (she was a teacher and used Sears as a second part time job) and another even longer. Currently the "Fine Jewelry" department, which is where they sell the $1000+ rings has one employee who can only work after 5 because of her other job. They had one other person there for a while but she quit to become a CNA, which is good for her. Before then they gave the department 50 hours to use for the week. We were open from 10am-8pm Monday through Thursday and 10am-9pm Friday/Saturday and 12-6pm Sunday. 50 hours covers Monday through Thursday and 10 hours on Friday. We were open a total of 68 hours so allowing for overlap (to cover breaks and stuff) Jewelry needs a minimum of 70 hours to operate all the time. They're making nonjewelry employees cover it which means that there are less people on the floor keeping things stocked and neat, which is where I work. They also aren't training them and the managers don't even know what jewelry specific stuff there is, like care plans and poo poo like that.

I said those were our times for a reason. We're now opening 11-8pm Monday through Friday and then 11-9pm Saturday and 12-6pm on Sunday. This alongside the cuts has led pretty much every worker to believe that we're about to close even though management is insisting that we're fine. Everyone's looking for another job, even the new hires, and no one is happy there. It's totally dead most of the time and the store has the most depressing and soul crushing atmosphere you can imagine. There's also a bit of drama brewing between two of the high school aged cashiers over some dumb bullshit so that's gonna be fun when it gets the one instigating it fired. The one instigating it sold ~$1300 in gift cards to some guys using a fraudulent credit card and the other one is the guy who got the manager. The other cashier who was with them sold ~$3000 in gift cards to the same guys at the same time, she got fired.

In summary, Sears is going down in flames and it's a spectacle and super depressing to be a part of. I need a new job.

Oh and our store manager was alerted about the cuts via email. Never got a call about them, just an email.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

stealie72 posted:

Online reviews in general should be circling the drain.

It seems like such a good idea, but just about all of them are polluted by idiots who can't figure out how a product/service is supposed to work, obvious shill reviews, sour grapes reviews, and "received this product at a discount to provide an impartial review" reviews. If you've got a big enough number of reviews for a single thing, you can kinda suss out a trend, but even then, you still need to read for particulars.

If you go to sites that specialize in something (like for example, looking at electronic reviews on Newegg vs Amazon or Best Buy) they're still a bit useful because you tend to avoid the "this cable modem doesn't work with my DSL service" one star reviews.

I wonder if anyone is working on something like "certified expertise" for reviewers that gives people who know what the gently caress they're talking about more weight.

edit: I left out poo poo like ebay where it's now extremely difficult to leave a negative review for a seller/buyer, but easy as pie to leave a positive.

Go to actual product review sites to get reviews from professional reviewers. I'm sure a bunch of goons will jump down my throat for it, but cnet is my go to and even if the review "stars" they give a product don't help me they are pretty exhaustive with descriptions and functionality and information on the product which will usually tell me everything I need to know.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Go to actual product review sites to get reviews from professional reviewers. I'm sure a bunch of goons will jump down my throat for it, but cnet is my go to and even if the review "stars" they give a product don't help me they are pretty exhaustive with descriptions and functionality and information on the product which will usually tell me everything I need to know.

i like cnet's wifi reviewer

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
I worked once at Sears for the summer. I had a ton of supervisors, who all had different tasks for me to complete during the day. Think the retail version of that one scene from Office Space. I was in the Home department, which covered curtains, to bedding to bath to small appliances. There was only me on that department for a while (previous guy was sick with cancer, so they probably fired him so he could spend more time with his cancer). The back room was a mess, so I hid there most of my shift trying to keep that organized. It was probably the worst job I’ve had, labor was razor thin, and that was the time when Kmart bought them out. It was a poo poo show from the top down.

I worked for Circuit City in the summer of 2008, and you could tell then it was dying. I was hired to do the Firedog stuff (their equivalent of Geek Squad), but they had me working PC sales instead. Anyway, the management was pushing for computers to be sold with protection plans and accessories since guess what; they lost money on each laptop sold. Just seeing $30 USB cables made me mad, and I cannot remember, but I think some of the printers they sold did not come with USB cables in the box. Anyway, during my short time there corporate tried to calm fears by saying they had $1 Billion in liquid assets. My coworkers investigated and found that was not true, it was $1 Billion credit line. I'm so glad I left when I did.

Recently, I was working at HP. For those who don't know, in 2007-2008, HP bought EDS, Ross Perot's old company. They bought it to get into the federal contractor game. Funny thing, instead of keeping the management and calling it “EDS, an HP company”, they absorb EDS into HP, rename the division HP Enterprise Services, use HP's style of management. Where I worked I saw contract after Contract leave HP, few contracts came in.
In November 2015, HP split into two companies, HP Inc. (their hardware division) and Hewlett-Packard Enterprise. HP Inc. keeps the HP ticker, the logo, and once HP Enterprise dies, it will just go back to HP like nothing happened. It’s obvious that HP wanted to send the contract stuff on its own so it does not take the rest of the company with it.
Here’s Hewlett-Packard Enterprise’s logo:

Someone paid a company money to design that.

I seem to be working for winning companies…

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

PassTheRemote posted:

I worked once at Sears for the summer. I had a ton of supervisors, who all had different tasks for me to complete during the day. Think the retail version of that one scene from Office Space. I was in the Home department, which covered curtains, to bedding to bath to small appliances. There was only me on that department for a while (previous guy was sick with cancer, so they probably fired him so he could spend more time with his cancer). The back room was a mess, so I hid there most of my shift trying to keep that organized. It was probably the worst job I’ve had, labor was razor thin, and that was the time when Kmart bought them out. It was a poo poo show from the top down.

I worked for Circuit City in the summer of 2008, and you could tell then it was dying. I was hired to do the Firedog stuff (their equivalent of Geek Squad), but they had me working PC sales instead. Anyway, the management was pushing for computers to be sold with protection plans and accessories since guess what; they lost money on each laptop sold. Just seeing $30 USB cables made me mad, and I cannot remember, but I think some of the printers they sold did not come with USB cables in the box. Anyway, during my short time there corporate tried to calm fears by saying they had $1 Billion in liquid assets. My coworkers investigated and found that was not true, it was $1 Billion credit line. I'm so glad I left when I did.

Recently, I was working at HP. For those who don't know, in 2007-2008, HP bought EDS, Ross Perot's old company. They bought it to get into the federal contractor game. Funny thing, instead of keeping the management and calling it “EDS, an HP company”, they absorb EDS into HP, rename the division HP Enterprise Services, use HP's style of management. Where I worked I saw contract after Contract leave HP, few contracts came in.
In November 2015, HP split into two companies, HP Inc. (their hardware division) and Hewlett-Packard Enterprise. HP Inc. keeps the HP ticker, the logo, and once HP Enterprise dies, it will just go back to HP like nothing happened. It’s obvious that HP wanted to send the contract stuff on its own so it does not take the rest of the company with it.
Here’s Hewlett-Packard Enterprise’s logo:

Someone paid a company money to design that.

I seem to be working for winning companies…

Seems like the common thread here is...

iraqniphobia
Aug 21, 2003

I heard people on Reddit say uBlock is bad and was "stolen" from the original creator and the original creator now makes "uBlock Origin" which is what you should use. I went with uBlock Origin on my home machine but I really don't know what's actually different between them.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

iraqniphobia posted:

I heard people on Reddit say uBlock is bad and was "stolen" from the original creator and the original creator now makes "uBlock Origin" which is what you should use. I went with uBlock Origin on my home machine but I really don't know what's actually different between them.

That's what we're all saying to use?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Darth123123 posted:

our your mom :haw:

would have more impact if you didn't misspell a 2-letter word

1/5 would not be insulted by again

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Lil' Hefner opens up about how Playboy is being run into the ground after being asked to gently caress off from the Board. I'd be surprised if Playboy still exists as a magazine after 2018, and as anything other than an 'Ed Hardy for Women' brand beyond that.

im cute has a new favorite as of 00:37 on Feb 24, 2016

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Solice Kirsk posted:

If you're talking about products, yes. Yelp doesn't have reviews for products but store fronts and such.

I personally like Wirecutter/Sweethome for products, though I often go with the second or third rec after I read what/why.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

paco650 posted:

Lil' Hefner opens up about how Playboy is being run into the ground after being asked to gently caress off from the Board. I'd be surprised if Playboy still exists as a magazine after 2018, and as anything other than an 'Ed Hardy for Women' brand beyond that.

"Hugh Hefner's 24-year-old son, Cooper,"

lol

Hef is like 90. How weird must it be for your whole existence to be the result of creepiness.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I'm sure all the money and bitches by association is really hard for him to reconcile.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Entropic posted:

lol

Hef is like 90. How weird must it be for your whole existence to be the result of creepiness.

He actually came across really well spoken for being a kid. He also shredded the management running the company. To be fair, any idiot on the street can tell you Playboy without tits is like trying to play in the NFL without a helmet. It's an obvious dumb plan even children would laugh at.

EDIT: I bet being around all that poo poo has made him super normal. Rebelling against his parents means really boring vanilla relationships and poo poo.

iraqniphobia
Aug 21, 2003

vyst posted:

That's what we're all saying to use?

You originally recommended uBlock Origin but most post have been saying "uBlock" and I didn't see anyone actually say these were two different programs so I thought it might be worth bringing up.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

BigBoss posted:

He actually came across really well spoken for being a kid. He also shredded the management running the company. To be fair, any idiot on the street can tell you Playboy without tits is like trying to play in the NFL without a helmet. It's an obvious dumb plan even children would laugh at.

EDIT: I bet being around all that poo poo has made him super normal. Rebelling against his parents means really boring vanilla relationships and poo poo.

Nah, they are going to spin it into an "empowering" brand for women, and I'd think licensing the logo is ultimately more lucrative than printing pictures of boobs onto expensive glossy paper and then stapling the papers together and mailing them to people.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Entropic posted:

lol

He looks like poo poo for 24...goddamn

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

He looks like poo poo for 24...goddamn

What did you expect, old ingredients got used in the recipe

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

reallivedinosaur posted:

Nah, they are going to spin it into an "empowering" brand for women, and I'd think licensing the logo is ultimately more lucrative than printing pictures of boobs onto expensive glossy paper and then stapling the papers together and mailing them to people.

That's like Trojan deciding their logo is ultimately more lucrative than condoms and decide to open up fertility clinics instead

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

iraqniphobia posted:

like other things mentioned, ublock was under new management and they skeeved it up. in protest the original guy started work again under the new name

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Business Gorillas posted:

That's like Trojan deciding their logo is ultimately more lucrative than condoms and decide to open up fertility clinics instead

Any time you see a playboy bunny logo or a tinkerbell decal on a car, you can be guaranteed there is an obnoxious fat "IM SEXXXY I DONT CARE WAT U TINK" white trash neck tattoo girl driving it.

I haven't mentally associated that logo with sexy in a long time. I associate it with a doddering 90 year old man and fat white trash.

Fat sassy girls make up a WAY bigger market than guys wanting to jack off to paper magazines.

I'm no market analyst, but I think Cooper there realizes he will never live his dads life, and will have to fight for tail like the rest of us, and it breaks his heart.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Business Gorillas posted:

Any time you see a playboy bunny logo or a tinkerbell decal on a car, you can be guaranteed there is an obnoxious fat "IM SEXXXY I DONT CARE WAT U TINK" white trash neck tattoo girl driving it.

I haven't mentally associated that logo with sexy in a long time. I associate it with a doddering 90 year old man and fat white trash.

Fat sassy girls make up a WAY bigger market than guys wanting to jack off to paper magazines.

I'm no market analyst, but I think Cooper there realizes he will never live his dads life, and will have to fight for tail like the rest of us, and it breaks his heart.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

uBlock is also great for being so easy to add your own blacklisted items right off a page. Like for example, all YouTube comments.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
error post

gadget arms
Apr 18, 2005
The

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Wait.

The The?

Holy poo poo that changes everything.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Lol Sears

Sears Holdings Corp., the department-store operator run by hedge fund manager Edward Lampert, posted a $580 million fourth-quarter net loss as sales continued to slide. The company also named Bruce Berkowitz, its second-biggest shareholder, to the board.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-02-25/sears-posts-580-million-fourth-quarter-loss-as-retailer-shrinks

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Trip Report: I almost bought a $17 CAD thing of D&G deodorant at Sears the other day, 25% normal, but decided against it because it wasn't what I wanted, but I DID consider it for a few seconds

I also decided not to buy the garbage Levi designs they always get in that no one wants. Why would they do something crazy like try to sell stuff someone wants?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Darth123123 posted:

Lol Sears

Sears Holdings Corp., the department-store operator run by hedge fund manager Edward Lampert, posted a $580 million fourth-quarter net loss as sales continued to slide. The company also named Bruce Berkowitz, its second-biggest shareholder, to the board.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-02-25/sears-posts-580-million-fourth-quarter-loss-as-retailer-shrinks

like that's gonna do anything, you'd have to be the biggest retard alive to be a major sears shareholder

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
How is Best Buy actually doing? I continue to be surprised that they can actually attract customers.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Seems like the common trend here is that retail is poo poo

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

SquadronROE posted:

How is Best Buy actually doing? I continue to be surprised that they can actually attract customers.

I imagine they'll be around a bit. They cater to the impulsive folk and grandmas. Plus with price matching and ship to store etc

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

reallivedinosaur posted:

You have to have something that gives the logo value. Otherwise, it is worth significantly less. If you don't foster the fantasy idea of suave men and sexy babes, the logo carries as much weight as the Eastern Airlines logo.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

SquadronROE posted:

Best Buy changed to be the place where you view and get high end tvs/sound systems along with appliances.

For people thst have some knowledge but want to physically see a high price item before buying.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Who will come out on top of the food delivery services?

Toronto has:

Just Eat
Skip the Dishes
Uber Eats
GrubHub
and more I don't know about

I liked being able to get takeout from smaller niche restaurants, but now that they're all spread around 4+ services it's not that convenient. It's crazy.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I want free poo poo in return for my unbiased and honest review of 1 star.

Also I loving hate it that every time I buy something from Amazon, I get an email asking me to give some free advertising in the form of a 5* review. gently caress you!

Sophy Wackles has a new favorite as of 21:41 on Feb 28, 2016

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

SquadronROE posted:

a couple of years ago people anticipated a "gradually, then suddenly" moment like Circuit City had because they were doing pretty poorly. i guess they rebounded, though. maybe enough people bought those $75 HDMI cables all of a sudden

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

Frosted Flake posted:

Who will come out on top of the food delivery services?

Toronto has:

Just Eat
Skip the Dishes
Uber Eats
GrubHub
and more I don't know about

I liked being able to get takeout from smaller niche restaurants, but now that they're all spread around 4+ services it's not that convenient. It's crazy.

There's this thing called Favor that pissed off a couple of local Toronto restaurants by offering their menus without permission. They deliver poo poo like McDonald's too :lol: And there's also Hurrier, which recently rebranded as foodora for some reason.:laffo: Considering Just Eat just absorbed OrderIt I imagine most of these delivery services are not long for this world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Frosted Flake posted:

Wait, do small and mid-sized restaurants not have their own delivery driver where you live? In Germany, you just go to pizza.de (a site that lets restaurants put up an interactive menu) and order takeout from basically any restaurant within a 5km radius.