Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

kazil posted:

I liked Life is Strange but why couldn't the main character just be a gung-ho military white guy??

Because then every time you ran into an art teacher, it'd be a fail state.

The thing dragging down Life is Strange was mostly just how Chloe talked. Some of the other teenagers got some bad lines but Chloe's dialogue was just obtrusively weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Specifically, no one in Arcadia Bay uses contractions when speaking to each other casually.

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer

Morpheus posted:

A fair point, but the way you phrase it makes it sound like you expect this small studio (that was teetering on bankruptcy) to be better at animation than a much larger, better funded one?

I just wish the main character didn't seem so stoned, and down on herself. I guess it's a character trait but almost everything you do ends up with her putting herself down and it's like, jesus christ you have time powers you are literally the most special snowflake in the world and all you do is second guess yourself and think you're poo poo.

How would you feel about yourself if despite having control over the flow of time you could never catch an item falling off of a shelf?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

kazil posted:

I liked Life is Strange but why couldn't the main character just be a gung-ho military white guy??

Retarded goon hyperbole will never not be funny. :allears:

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alteisen posted:

Retarded goon hyperbole will never not be funny. :allears:
whoosh

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
Life Is Strange just had weird dialogue for me. I never managed to get through the whole game series because it'd be enjoyable, then one of the characters opens their mouth and spews out something a 40 year old wrote thinking this is how kids these days talk.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

HaB posted:

The other small one was getting across that one rushing water part near the end where you had to jump across the top of train cars or trucks or whatever it was. There is no prompt that you can do anything there, and jumping hadn't been a useful mechanic for literally the ENTIRE REST OF THE GAME. I was stuck there for like 45 minutes until I finally just looked it up. "jump? wtf?!?"

Ugh this. I think that's literally the only place in the game where you do or even CAN jump. Is jump even part of the controls at all? Why the gently caress didn't they put a button prompt? To preserve the ~atmosphere~?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Thin Privilege posted:

Ugh this. I think that's literally the only place in the game where you do or even CAN jump. Is jump even part of the controls at all? Why the gently caress didn't they put a button prompt? To preserve the ~atmosphere~?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Perestroika posted:

I finally got around to playing Rebel Galaxy, and while it's a fun little game, the UI is just atrocious. My biggest gripe is with the shield and armour indicators, which look like this:

One gauge each for each side of ship, looks straightforward enough, right? Since you have gauges there already, even nice and segmented in the case of shields, the sensible approach would be to just have them get shorter as things get damaged. Well, the game doesn't think so. Instead, the gauges just get lighter and more translucent. So in the middle of a heated firefight you have to figure out whether that's a regular light blue or a really light light blue and try to gauge your status from that.
But that's not everything: Every time a shield is damaged, the gauge flashes red for a second. Since you're usually in big group fights with lots of rapid-fire weapons, that means it's flashing all the time. So in a game where one significant aspect is turning so that your strongest shields are towards the enemy while the weakened ones, you have no way to tell how depleted your shields are until they fail entirely and you start taking hull damage.

Why don't space sims all just copy FreeSpace 2's HUD? That game got it right.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

I never got how that gave goons so much trouble. I didn't even know you could use the up and down directions on that until I started posting here. I got past it my entire childhood just by jumping on it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Simply Simon posted:

Thing is, and I only just realized that, you can totally hand in the sidequest and THEN go explore and get spotted all the time and murder them all with machine guns and it doesn't matter.
I'm pretty sure that's the way you're supposed to do it.

Simply Simon posted:

I also wanted to shoot up the police station, but I'm cool so of course without raising any alarms. Sadly, this is pretty much impossible, because a single shot will alert about a thousand guys. That kinda sucked, but then AGAIN, why would they specifically give you a way to murder every innocent or maybe crooked cop in cold blood? I can't really expect that, and it still kinda irked me.

Then I found out that you can actually get a Silencer from the get-go, I had forgotten that because I usually don't shoot people in the game. So I could actually have shot a substantial amount of cops. Weeeeelp.
The ground floor is still pretty much impossible to do without alerting anyone, because of that big open room with all the desks.

Simply Simon posted:

It should also be noted that while yes, you get noticably less experience for just killing dudes instead of knocking them out, it doesn't actually matter - about half the upgrades are useless anyway and it matters jackshit if you get the aim stabilizer or whatever you were shooting (heh) for half a mission earlier or not. I mean, that's a problem in and of itself but all the :byodood: I NEED TO MAXIMIZE MY EXPERIENCE AT ALL TIMES THEREFORE I LURE ENEMIES TOGETHER SO I GET A DOUBLE TAKEDOWN ALWAYS THIS ONLY TAKES ME TWENTY RELOADS PER ATTEMPT :byodood: is laughable, too. You will have far, far more levels than you will ever need even with a casual "a gently caress it just start shooting them" playstyle by the end of the game, the only thing you lose is the ability to make the early, easy levels just that slight bit more easy. There's a GameFAQs guide I glanced at that tells you the exact order to purchase your upgrades in to not miss a single point of XP and NO YOU HAVE TO HACK EVERY COMPUTER EVEN IF YOU FOUND THE CODE FOR IT THERE IS POINTZ IN THAT, I have zero pity for you if you let that mentality drag the game down for you.
Sure, you can easily unlock all the augs you want by the end of the game. But it's possible to unlock them earlier, it just means doing stuff that is neither fun nor challenging, and that's bad game design. You should not be incentivised to waste your time doing tedious bullshit.

Mierenneuker posted:

The best way to maximize your experience in DX:HR is to buy the Director's Cut so you have a New Game Plus mode where you can have all the augmentations. Even the ones that involve targeting/tagging enemies and you will never use.
I guess this is valid on consoles, but on PC there is absolutely no benefit to NG+ since cheats exist. If you want all the augs right from the start, you can have them. In fact, the cheat way works better because you can have augs in the first level that way, whereas NG+ makes you do that unaugmented for some reason.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Simply Simon posted:

It should also be noted that while yes, you get noticably less experience for just killing dudes instead of knocking them out, it doesn't actually matter - about half the upgrades are useless anyway and it matters jackshit if you get the aim stabilizer or whatever you were shooting (heh) for half a mission earlier or not. I mean, that's a problem in and of itself but all the :byodood: I NEED TO MAXIMIZE MY EXPERIENCE AT ALL TIMES THEREFORE I LURE ENEMIES TOGETHER SO I GET A DOUBLE TAKEDOWN ALWAYS THIS ONLY TAKES ME TWENTY RELOADS PER ATTEMPT :byodood: is laughable, too. You will have far, far more levels than you will ever need even with a casual "a gently caress it just start shooting them" playstyle by the end of the game, the only thing you lose is the ability to make the early, easy levels just that slight bit more easy. There's a GameFAQs guide I glanced at that tells you the exact order to purchase your upgrades in to not miss a single point of XP and NO YOU HAVE TO HACK EVERY COMPUTER EVEN IF YOU FOUND THE CODE FOR IT THERE IS POINTZ IN THAT, I have zero pity for you if you let that mentality drag the game down for you.

I'm not defending that kind of obsessive optimization. :shobon: My point is that it's not hard to see how the game itself breeds those attitudes, even at a minor scale, where the player can immediately see the disparity between lethal and nonlethal force within the first room of the first actual level. It similarly sets a bad early precedent when the player easily comes across the lopsided hacking rewards, particularly in a context where the arbitrary hacking rewards are outright better than most of the actual "prizes" for hacking (mostly a bunch of gossipy emails).

And it goes beyond that besides - stuff like the exploration bonuses are just redundant and silly. Exploration is inherently fun in these kinds of games, but even beyond that the whole point of exploring in Deus Ex is to be rewarded with additional routes and resources. It's even more redundant in HR because money acts as a secondary form of experience thanks to the Praxis kits on offer in every hub section, and sometimes you even outright get a kit just for going off the beaten path.

The fact that there is no real tangible endgame to all that optimization just makes it all the worse. What's especially baffling is that this is a solved problem in these sorts of games. You never give drip feed XP for minor, repetitive tasks like neutralizing enemies. Just give a lump sum for completing objectives. I'm a little rusty on the nuances of the original DX, but I'm pretty sure that's exactly how it was done there. It's worrying because it belies either a lack of confidence in the player interacting with the game's systems, so they need to be bribed into it, with the end result being rewarding players for playing "correctly" and thereby missing the entire freaking point, or perhaps a more Call of Duty-esque assumption that the player needs to be saturated with regular arbitrary pats on the head, lest they lose interest in the Skinner box. The game is smarter than either of those, which is why it frustrates me so much that it makes those mistakes.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just did my first match of Halo 5 PvP, the arena game list.

2 people on my team quit about 6 kills in, I stupidly stuck around with another guy, went 2-22, final score was 50-10.

I use to think the mercy rule in Destiny was kind of dumb, now I wish it was standard, I mean I'm not programmer but there has to be some way for the game to detect that the match is horrible and lopsided and end it.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

whoooooooosh

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Windy in here

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
The inventory in DX:HR was painful. Too small for any of the cool stuff, while the energy system meant that the most precious thing in the game was a goddamn snack bar; as the bigger energy items were too big to haul around most of the time.

Oh, and you couldn't grab guns to sell. That is, unless you picked one up, went to a vendor, sold it, picked up one of the many guns around, sold that, rinse and repeat.

Instead of just letting you have the guns in your inventory. gently caress, they could even have made inventories limited by type to stop you from carrying 12 rifles or whatever but it was just tedious and dumb.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Regarding DXHR. I don't see the problem in making stealth more rewarding if it is more difficult to do. I also don't think it's a problem that they impose game mechanics like the inventory and energy bars to give you constraints to work within. I think it's well balanced game myself outside of the loving boss fights and maybe the helicopter crash bit.

It's like having limited ammo in Half Life 2 or whatever.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Deceitful Penguin posted:

The inventory in DX:HR was painful. Too small for any of the cool stuff, while the energy system meant that the most precious thing in the game was a goddamn snack bar; as the bigger energy items were too big to haul around most of the time.
The Director's Cut fixes this by basically making all energy items unnecessary. It's an improvement, but obviously it's not an ideal solution. Having the bigger energy items be less efficient than the small ones seems like a like an obvious mistake that could easily have been rectified, for example. It makes no sense to even have those giant tubs of protein powder (or whatever) in the game, because they're rarely useful and take up way too much space.

The same general problem applies to the weapons. It would be nice to have a rocket launcher occasionally, but it and its ammo take up half your inventory so you can't justify carrying it around, especially when grenades exist. You can make sure players don't overuse the rocket launcher by limiting the amount of ammunition available for it, you don't need to further disincentivise its use.

And the rocket launcher is at least worth using in a couple of locations. The three other big weapons may as well not be in the game at all, because you'll never use them.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Tiggum posted:

I guess this is valid on consoles, but on PC there is absolutely no benefit to NG+ since cheats exist. If you want all the augs right from the start, you can have them. In fact, the cheat way works better because you can have augs in the first level that way, whereas NG+ makes you do that unaugmented for some reason.

Goddamn, Tiggum, why loving bother playing the fuckin' thing if you're opening up cheats on level 1?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Somfin posted:

Goddamn, Tiggum, why loving bother playing the fuckin' thing if you're opening up cheats on level 1?

How dare people adjust single player games in a way that allows them to have fun! :argh:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Pocket Billiards posted:

Regarding DXHR. I don't see the problem in making stealth more rewarding if it is more difficult to do.

Considering you can elect to turn invisible for as long as you can stuff energy bars down your throat (or just dash from safe spot to safe spot and wait your free battery or two out), I'm not sure I'd say that stealth in HR is really that much more difficult than the alternative. Combat also manages to be at least a step above trite cover shooter, even if that's mostly down to Jensen being made of tissue paper against direct fire.

Tiggum posted:

And the rocket launcher is at least worth using in a couple of locations. The three other big weapons may as well not be in the game at all, because you'll never use them.

The plasma rifle especially stands out since the most you can ever possibly use it on are two bosses and the crazed civilians in the endgame; obviously a victim of the clusterfuck hackjob they were forced to do with the endgame. The laser gun can shoot through walls! But I have no idea where that would be particularly useful, and you absolutely need the see through walls aug to go with it unless you're just going to cheese the final boss with it.

I remember using the heavy rifle in my kill-'em-all run, but that had more to do with HR's assault rifle being one of the most boring guns in any game ever than me really needing a handheld minigun. The explosive options manage to be overshadowed by the Typhoon, and even the big robots die in one EMP grenade, so I was always hard pressed to lug those around.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Somfin posted:

Same reason you play NG+, to gently caress around with a fully upgraded character in the early levels. :shrug:

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

If you're not shovelling candy bars down your augmented maw as fast as metahumanly possible it's not the True Deus Ex Experience

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Oh gently caress you.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

No one expected Thief 2014 to be a good game, but it hurts because it has the framework of a really good game, if not a Thief-game.

A side-goal in a mission can be picking up every single piece of monetary loot. This means looking through every goddamned corner of the map, which is not helped by linearity of the levels which locks off parts of the map when you go forward, forcing you to repeat the whole level. The good Thief games simply had the goal where you had to steal X amount of loot depending on the difficulty level chosen. They were burglary sims, not grueling collect-athons.

I skipped past the cutscenes after the prologue, which is remarkably similar to Human Revolution and Dishonored where you walk around following some important woman before she gets stuffed into a fridge. I didn't care about Corvo's queen or Adam Jensen's ex, but NuGarrett's protegee is so loving awful. She's haughty, obnoxious, antagonistic and acts like she knows more than NuGarrett. Pacifist-run be damned I wanted her dead. Too bad I read the synopsis and she survives the whole thing.

You can't jump and mantle like any other FPS protagonist, it's all contextual as butts. The maps are broken up into shoe-boxes where you have to press a QTE just to get into the next room. Dishonored was made on the same engine 2 years earlier and I don't recall Corvo spending 30 seconds to jimmy open every window he flies through.

You get to see NuGarrett's hands interact with the environment to hide the fact that without them, there is no real gameplay conceit. It's Dishonored: Invisible War except you have no superpowers.

Good: You get side jobs to burgle houses in the City Hub. Bad: Most of these houses lack guards, thus no danger just looting. This was the perfect setup for killer sidequests, instead you're just emptying cupboards with your Batman vision.

Why is there both a melee-button and a melee-takedown button?

NuGarrett has a hideous wispy mustache and his idea of a hideout is living inside a big gently caress-off clock-tower.

I stopped playing after beginning Chapter 2 as it had been three hours and no one had said the word "Taffer".

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Life Is Strange just had weird dialogue for me. I never managed to get through the whole game series because it'd be enjoyable, then one of the characters opens their mouth and spews out something a 40 year old wrote thinking this is how kids these days talk.

Thank you. That game could've been really cool, but holy poo poo the writing and voice direction were hot garbage

"She's dead. Such sad, okay?" :barf:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I skipped past the cutscenes after the prologue, which is remarkably similar to Human Revolution and Dishonored where you walk around following some important woman before she gets stuffed into a fridge. I didn't care about Corvo's queen or Adam Jensen's ex, but NuGarrett's protegee is so loving awful. She's haughty, obnoxious, antagonistic and acts like she knows more than NuGarrett. Pacifist-run be damned I wanted her dead. Too bad I read the synopsis and she survives the whole thing.
It's pretty great because she immediately comes off as an rear end, but then Garrett turns right around and acts like shithead right back by swiping her climby thing, which sets off the whole plot. And then he ends up using it for the rest of the game anyway despite his grouching about it.

You can't jump and mantle like any other FPS protagonist, it's all contextual as butts.
To be fair...there really aren't that many games that let you freely mantle. And there's plenty that don't let you jump at all either! :v:

I stopped playing after beginning Chapter 2 as it had been three hours and no one had said the word "Taffer".
It does show up at least once, as part of some incidental dialogue in the city. It might after Chapter 2 but I honestly don't remember. It's one guard telling another about how some lout called him a taffer the other night, and what's that even supposed to mean? :haw:

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

John Murdoch posted:

To be fair...there really aren't that many games that let you freely mantle.

What exactly does "mantle" mean in this context?

Gitro
May 29, 2013

razorrozar posted:

What exactly does "mantle" mean in this context?

Instead of rubbing their nose or waist on the lip of a ledge the character grabs it and climbs on.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Good thing you quit playing because it actually gets worse and worse as it progresses. due to new enemy types you either spend your time not using thief abilities and sneaking super duper slowly due to inconsistent detection and one hit kills or you play it like an fps and dump explosive arrows into anything that moves.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

How much personal experience do you have hearing actual teenagers talk, just out of curiosity?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Sleeveless posted:

How much personal experience do you have hearing actual teenagers talk, just out of curiosity?

Through binoculars and reading lips? Plenty.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Teenagers are completely insufferable and so are the characters in Life is Strange, so I've been assuming it's accurate. The teen-ness abates more and more from episode to episode, though, so if you can stomach episode 1 you can get through the whole thing, and I'd call it worth it.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Sleeveless posted:

I ended up at art college surrounded by 18 year olds when I was mid/late 20's. Maybe they were more "mature" than the girls in the game and talked about weird gay porn off tumblr instead of yelling "hella!" "shaka brah" "I was eating those beans" "kool kidz" "I'm feeling pretty alpha" etc. The type of cringe was completely different.

Life is Strange feels like what a 40 year old man thought was cool to yell in the 90's-00's long after he grew up.

quickedit - also the one kid going "she blinded me with science" when that song hasn't been in circulation or on the radio since the early 80's. That's poo poo someone like my dad would write in as a joke, not an 16-18 year old.

Horrible Smutbeast has a new favorite as of 20:08 on Feb 26, 2016

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

quickedit - also the one kid going "she blinded me with science" when that song hasn't been in circulation or on the radio since the early 80's. That's poo poo someone like my dad would write in as a joke, not an 16-18 year old.

I don't know, people to reference things they actually haven't seen. It's like pop culture mimesis. I found Chloe's epic win dialogue more cringe inducing.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Lord Lambeth posted:

I don't know, people to reference things they actually haven't seen. It's like pop culture mimesis. I found Chloe's epic win dialogue more cringe inducing.

At least epic win is fairly current, if not completely loving terrible. Weird Science would have been a better pop culture reference, at least that has a fairly successful movie and songwriter attached to it versus random song from the early 80's with science in the title.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The kid in question is a weirdo obsessed with older entertainment media stuff and before that scene has brought up cannibal holocaust and wanting to catch a planet of the apes marathon. Like, their are plenty of songs people reference that came out long before they were born, and for a person like that I don't think it's all that odd he'd know or reference what was a rather popular novelty song.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I've been put off playing Life is Strange because I hear the ending is... divisive. It's a binary choice when nowadays it's a safer bet to have a modular ending like New Vegas/Witcher 3, where the ending looks back on the decisions you made and what effect they had on each little sub-plot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycLpMlC3O4o

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

John Murdoch posted:

To be fair...there really aren't that many games that let you freely mantle. And there's plenty that don't let you jump at all either! :v:

God, it just occured to me how good a new Thief game would be with Dying Lights parkour system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Things about Life is Strange is...do any of you actually know how a hipster teenager talks? I mean I'm really curious because the last time I actually hung out with someone between the ages of 4 and 25 was when I fit into that age category. I'd like a teen to look at this game and illuminate me on its accuracies.

Anyway, thing dragging it down for me was (massive finale spoilers) the final choice at the end. I chose to sacrifice the town, because in my mind, that meant the town would be destroyed and some people would die. But the end of the game implied that everyone was killed, which was horseshit. If that was the case the the choice shouldn't have been 'Sacrifice Arcadia Bay', it should've been 'Sacrifice Everyone Else' (that's not, you know, Chloe or yourself). Plus the ending wasn't half as good as the other one, it just felt really tacked on compared to the closure and the full-circle nature of the story if you sacrifice Chloe. I was really bitter about it, and it retroactively strongly colored my opinion about the rest of the game.