Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts

GotLag posted:

In anticipation of the Steam release, I'd like some balance feedback on my Electric Furnaces mod.
Furnaces burning fuel directly convert fuel to energy at 100% efficiency, boilers and steam engines convert fuel to electricity with 50% efficiency.
Vanilla:
Stone furnace: 180 kW burner, speed 1
Steel furnace: 180 kW burner, speed 2
Electric furnace: 180 kW (fuel equivalent 360), speed 2 (2 upgrade slots)

My mod:
Electric stone furnace: 135 kW (270), speed 1
Electric steel furnace: 180 kW (360), speed 2
Advanced electric furnace: 225 kW (450), speed 4 (4 upgrade slots)

Should I raise the electric stone furnace 180 kW, to more strongly incentivise upgrading to steel? Not having to route coal to the furnaces is a pretty big bonus, I wonder if the current 50% increase in fuel use is sufficient to balance that.

Giving it one upgrade slot would be a pretty good incentive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
That reduces the jump from the steel electric furnace to the vanilla electric furnace too much I think. The vanilla progression is from 2x2 fuel-powered furnaces to 3x3 electric with upgrade slots, my aim is to add basic, relatively low-efficiency electric versions of the 2x2 furnaces for people like me who don't like running coal belts everywhere early-game.

The power consumption and speed of the 3 vanilla furnaces (stone, steel, electric) are limiting me a lot but I really don't want to change them.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

GotLag posted:

In anticipation of the Steam release, I'd like some balance feedback on my Electric Furnaces mod.
Furnaces burning fuel directly convert fuel to energy at 100% efficiency, boilers and steam engines convert fuel to electricity with 50% efficiency.
Vanilla:
Stone furnace: 180 kW burner, speed 1
Steel furnace: 180 kW burner, speed 2
Electric furnace: 180 kW (fuel equivalent 360), speed 2 (2 upgrade slots)

My mod:
Electric stone furnace: 135 kW (270), speed 1
Electric steel furnace: 180 kW (360), speed 2
Advanced electric furnace: 225 kW (450), speed 4 (4 upgrade slots)

Should I raise the electric stone furnace 180 kW, to more strongly incentivise upgrading to steel? Not having to route coal to the furnaces is a pretty big bonus, I wonder if the current 50% increase in fuel use is sufficient to balance that.

As far as balance goes, the stone electric furnace doesn't make much sense to me. It let's you save on tons of belts and inverters and basically skip the early game. If you're doing it because you're lazy and don't want to run belts, why is balance a concern?

Steel looks fine.

Advanced looks completely broken to high hell and needs some purple science packs as part of the cost. Faster smelting and 4 expansion slots?

Gibbo fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Feb 24, 2016

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Honestly I think the burner stage sucks. It's a pain in the arse and is only relevant for like 15 minutes. The player may as well spawn with a boiler, pump and steam engine.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

GotLag posted:

Honestly I think the burner stage sucks. It's a pain in the arse and is only relevant for like 15 minutes. The player may as well spawn with a boiler, pump and steam engine.

Pretty much. Either the primitive stage needs to be much longer or it should be cut entirely. A lot of the progression is rather iffy and I think it's a big fault in the research system which doesn't do a good job of educating a new player on what he needs to do. I read the devs are working on a new research screen but weren't able to get it into a condition they were happy with.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
I have been looking at this game for quite a while, should i jump on it before it goes steam?
How long it has been in development? Is it almost done or is it a long way until it's finished?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It's almost done in that it'll be "released" soon-ish IIRC. But they'll continue working on it, because from what I know we're supposed to get a new endgame still, though that got delayed until after said "release".

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
It's 15 eurobux from the Factorio site, will be 20 on Steam. You can get a Steam key for a copy bought from the site.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

Are there any mods which are a must from the beginning
or are mods more a thing to pick up later when i'm done with them game?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

RattiRatto posted:

I'd go modless until you get a handle on things and just grab them when you're bored or they can fix something that's really annoying you.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

RattiRatto posted:

Up to you! I would at least play 1 game without any mods so that you can mod areas you don't like instead of modding everything.

I have played 3 "complete" factorio games (Playing until most/everything is researched, i have thousands of bots, and the biters pose no threat) and never used a mod.

On the other hand my Skyrim game is modded to hell and back with hundreds of quality of life mods and such, and i never played it unmodded.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

RattiRatto posted:

I have been looking at this game for quite a while, should i jump on it before it goes steam?
How long it has been in development? Is it almost done or is it a long way until it's finished?
It's cheaper now than it will be later, and it's already a pretty good game.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

Then it's settled, i'll buy it tonight and i'll go for a first modless first run.
Thanks for the heads up

texasmed
May 27, 2004

Truga posted:

It's almost done in that it'll be "released" soon-ish IIRC. But they'll continue working on it, because from what I know we're supposed to get a new endgame still, though that got delayed until after said "release".

I think on the Steam page itself it says that they want about a year of early access before officially launching. There's plenty of room for growth in the game even though it's been super fun and good for years now.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

GotLag posted:

The burner stage is really good for getting a lot of mining set up quickly. If you're running coal for furnaces anyway, burner inserters can refuel themselves from that belt while refueling the furnaces. (Assuming you're running ore and coal on the same belt, of course.)

That said, I also don't like the burner stage and prefer to use nice, clean(er) electricity for everything as soon as possible.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Solumin posted:

The burner stage is really good for getting a lot of mining set up quickly. If you're running coal for furnaces anyway, burner inserters can refuel themselves from that belt while refueling the furnaces. (Assuming you're running ore and coal on the same belt, of course.)

That said, I also don't like the burner stage and prefer to use nice, clean(er) electricity for everything as soon as possible.

Yeah, my biggest complaint about the burner stage is that it's so massively pollution heavy. The miners are horrifically inefficient, which makes it hard to get a good clip of resources created before biters start swarming in. I think cutting their pollution by 1/4 to 1/3 would go a long way towards making that stage less painful. The burner assembler also helps make things less annoying since you can start automation without electricity.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I've updated Electric Furnaces:
https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=13528

The advanced furnace now uses the same power as the regular electric furnace and smelts 1.5x faster (instead of twice as fast), and is now crafted from two regular electric furnaces and an efficiency module. It's now got 2 module slots instead of 4.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Someone posted this in the star citizen thread and I'll just crosspost it here, because it's really factorio.avi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pq-S557XQU

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

GotLag posted:

I've updated Electric Furnaces:
https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=13528

The advanced furnace now uses the same power as the regular electric furnace and smelts 1.5x faster (instead of twice as fast), and is now crafted from two regular electric furnaces and an efficiency module. It's now got 2 module slots instead of 4.

You should add the old one back in as just yet another tier of furnace, so those of use that use your mod because we gottta smelt fast don't need to go looking for another mod.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Factorio is now available on Steam! :toot:

(and also the Humble store.)

EDIT: Also new trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVvXv1Z6EY8

2nd edit: Seems like the Steam version uses the same locations for saves and mods (AppData/Roaming by default). This makes switching to the steam version trivially easy.

Solumin fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 25, 2016

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
That's a really neat trailer.

I think they do a good job of not scaring people too much.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
What a lovely little trailer. So welcoming!

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
Game just downloaded on steam for me, Anyone want to play factorio together?

Skype or mumble or teamspeak or irc whatever anyone have any suggestions for ways to get together (or is there a steamgroup or something?)

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Truga posted:

Someone posted this in the star citizen thread and I'll just crosspost it here, because it's really factorio.avi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pq-S557XQU

Pffft, I have a big stick and a wooden clog.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Any significant changes since last October, roughly? I played 0.12.8 last time, just restarted an old game of mine. I never made it to constant, full speed rocket/satellite production with my bus back then and, as far as a bus-build goes, felt like I had exhausted what could be done in a reasonable amount of time (well...roughly 100 hours). Still, I was rather happy with the train network and concreted end result. It takes more than a minute of rail-time to go from one end to the other.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Forer posted:

Game just downloaded on steam for me, Anyone want to play factorio together?

Skype or mumble or teamspeak or irc whatever anyone have any suggestions for ways to get together (or is there a steamgroup or something?)

#factgoonio on synirc It has been quiet but might get more lively now.

Fleve posted:

Any significant changes since last October, roughly?

Not really. Just stability and multiplayer port forwarding changes. Can't remember if headless server was a thing yet then but it works very well now.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

So did the train patch come with or are we just on Steam now?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Just steam. Latest patch added a bit of music and some bug fixes but the train stuff is yet to come.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
I really want to start a new game but the new train timing options look too good to go without.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Hagop posted:

You should add the old one back in as just yet another tier of furnace, so those of use that use your mod because we gottta smelt fast don't need to go looking for another mod.
Like an extra tier?

In the meantime, the old versions are all available at http://gozaima.su/factorio/old/

Hagop
May 14, 2012

GotLag posted:

Like an extra tier?

In the meantime, the old versions are all available at http://gozaima.su/factorio/old/

Yes, just change the name to be highly advanced furnace, color swap it to red or hot pink, or whatever and add it back in. Feel free to lock it behind whatever recipe and tech requirements you feel like, by the time I am switching over to those monsters almost no cost is too much for a four book furnace.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Is there an ETA on train stuff? Does it have workshop support on steam now? Will it?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Elendil004 posted:

Is there an ETA on train stuff? Does it have workshop support on steam now? Will it?

No ETA on train stuff. No it doesn't have workshop support right now. Yes it will in the future, they're planning it for 0.13, same time as the train stuff but it may fall back depending on how fussy it is.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
I'm waiting for trains

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Hagop posted:

Yes, just change the name to be highly advanced furnace, color swap it to red or hot pink, or whatever and add it back in. Feel free to lock it behind whatever recipe and tech requirements you feel like, by the time I am switching over to those monsters almost no cost is too much for a four book furnace.

What do you think it should cost?

Hagop
May 14, 2012

GotLag posted:

What do you think it should cost?

I never saw anything thing wrong with the original costs, but I am not a champion of the fair and balanced approach to sand boxes.

I would go personally go with two adv electric furnaces and an efficiency two module just to keep the pattern up, but like said when I normally would be switching over to the old adv electrics anything short of a stack of level three modules is a non-issue.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I'm planning to start a MP game to introduce a friend to factorio. What mods should I use?

I'm leaning towards larger inventory and RSO for an easier start.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

LLSix posted:

I'm planning to start a MP game to introduce a friend to factorio. What mods should I use?

I'm leaning towards larger inventory and RSO for an easier start.

Honestly if you're introducing a friend then it's probably best to get them started on vanilla, just on the principle of starting from the standard game and introducing mods to make up for whatever gripes people come up with.

Inventory sizes aren't really an issue, and I'm not sure that there is much need for something like RSO unless you're looking for a super easy factory-building-focused start.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

lohli posted:

Honestly if you're introducing a friend then it's probably best to get them started on vanilla, just on the principle of starting from the standard game and introducing mods to make up for whatever gripes people come up with.

Inventory sizes aren't really an issue, and I'm not sure that there is much need for something like RSO unless you're looking for a super easy factory-building-focused start.

This, except you should have autoloader to cut down on tedium when placing burners/turrets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Eh, it really trivializes turret creeping (more than normal).