Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Oh, so it can be used more than once, as long as I don't owe anything on the previous one. Makes sense. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaelicNinja
Feb 15, 2012
You can't use Voc Rehab and the GI Bill at the same time. On the other hand, if you qualify for both, you can elect to use Voc Rehab and get paid like it's the GI Bill. Alternatively, you can use the GI Bill and still have access to another 12 months of Voc Rehab education bennies.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

GaelicNinja posted:

You can't use Voc Rehab and the GI Bill at the same time. On the other hand, if you qualify for both, you can elect to use Voc Rehab and get paid like it's the GI Bill. Alternatively, you can use the GI Bill and still have access to another 12 months of Voc Rehab education bennies.

what's the difference between them? I thought I read somewhere that it got passed around 2011 saying you could.

GaelicNinja
Feb 15, 2012

Soulex posted:

what's the difference between them? I thought I read somewhere that it got passed around 2011 saying you could.

9/11 pays out with a monthly stipend of E-5 with dependents in your area, gives a $1000/year book stipend, and covers your classes. It does not cover buying extra things you may need for your class, like calculators, computers, or trip money. You also are not required to meet with a counselor to discuss your every move.

Voc Rehab has a lower monthly stipend, but covers everything. Books, extra things, all of it. You are required to see your VR&E counselor every semester, if only to confirm that you've picked the right classes for your degree.

Both only pay out to cover things listed on your degree program. There's some wiggle room there, but mostly that's jumping through your own rear end to get the Dean of your department to sign off that the course is now part of your degree program.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

So which would be better to use for making sure I have a place to live and feeding my wife and kids? 9/11 seems like the sure bet, but I am not well versed in the VOC REHAB thing.

GaelicNinja
Feb 15, 2012
Voc Rehab; as long as you have 9/11 time left, you can get paid at the 9/11 BAH rate instead of trying to survive on the VR&E stipend. It'll run through your 9/11 benefit months though, so fair warning.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Also note that vocrehab will pay for 100% of tuition even if you were not eligible for 100% of the GI Bill.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
edit: nevermind

Victor Vermis fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Feb 22, 2016

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
yo if you're a literal retard and you lost your fancy pants discharge cert between moves but you want it to tack onto a resume how do you go about replacing it in an expedient fashion

hoping there's some magic trick i can work

i'd just use my dd214 but i was a reservist and the only 214 i got is explicitly for the one year period i was activated, and not my entire reserve contract

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Admiral Bosch posted:

yo if you're a literal retard and you lost your fancy pants discharge cert between moves but you want it to tack onto a resume how do you go about replacing it in an expedient fashion

hoping there's some magic trick i can work

i'd just use my dd214 but i was a reservist and the only 214 i got is explicitly for the one year period i was activated, and not my entire reserve contract

Google "discharge certificate copy", should be literally the first result. 214s you could get through your state's department of vet affairs since most people automatically tick that box to have copies forwarded when they get their walking papers, but I don't think that applies for the certificate itself.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
man somehow gotta figure out how to access your OMPF if thats even possible

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Some what weirdly related question.

I have my active duty 214 but not one from my reserve time.
I was active August of 1990 to Jan of 93 and multiple reserve units thanks to draw downs from May of 93 to Sept 96, with 18 months in IRR.

When I contacted St Louis, they only sent my copy of my active duty 214.

Due to the multiple inactivations of the various medical units I was stuck in would I contact my state, ARCOM or fight w St Louis again?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
If you were reserve, not guard, then the state wouldn't matter. This all seems to indicate that you should try HRC in Knox

https://www.hrc.army.mil/tagd/requesting%20copies%20of%20your%20military%20records

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
Okay I checked MOL as well as the link to my OMPF and didn't see it anywhere... guess I'll just go through St. Louis.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
or you can do what I'm sure lots of fakers have done

http://www.military-certificates.com/Cert_Army_Honorable_discharge.htm

U.S. Barryl
Apr 16, 2003
I'm confused. I'm in the Illinois NG, deployed twice in 07 and 11 to Iraq. I've been dealing with a lot of poo poo from PTSD issues related to being a medic in a combat zone. I finally decided to get some help and thought the VA would be the way to go (they've been great to me.) My psychologist recommended that I apply for compensation and get out of the guard completely. My ETS is April 2017. I recently received a 70% disability rating from the VA, and I believe, but am not certain, that my unit doc initiated a MEB for me due to a deployment limiting profile for PTSD. AKO is a broken piece of poo poo, and the MEB section is broken no matter what browser I use.

I initially enlisted in 1999, had a two year break in service after my first contract. My questions are: What am I supposed to be doing? I have panic attacks on a near daily basis in the 1-2 weeks leading to my drill weekends. I've been dealing with this for almost 5 years. I can't stand going to drill anymore. I can barely handle leaving my house. I had always heard that a rating over 40% gets you out, but from what I understand that is not the case? Are they going to drag this MEB out for the rest of my enlistment? Do I have to tell them not to pay me for being there? I have more questions than this but I feel like I'm rambling, and I'm sorry if I'm not providing enough info.

StabbyRipStabStab
Nov 4, 2009

I got the internet going nuts.
There is no VA rating that gets you out, you are entitled to draw VA compensation and be a member of a Guard or Reserve unit. VA disability is based on impact on your future economic ability, so you can compensation for tinnitus, something that doesn't have an impact on your ability to serve. Even issues like PTSD don't mean you are medically unqualified for deployment, as that would likely be a determination made by a military provider during the Pre-Deployment Health Assessment based on the standards of fitness for whatever theater your're going to.

Federal law prohibits you from drawing Compensation and military pay, but since you're guard you only draw military pay for around 48 drill periods + 14 AT days a year, the VA will automatically see this because they do a cross-check with DMDC and will send a letter (probably 4 years late) that informs you of the days they have you drilling and giving you the ability to dispute them if there is an inaccuracy. Keep your drill pay, because you only waive 4 days of compensation for a weekend drill, which is something like 204 dollars, and less than the 300 or so you likely make at drill.

The MEB is a separate process and one that is based on your medical ability to perform you job, I'm not super clear on how it works for guard/reserves but basically the rating you get is whatever limits you from doing your job. I would recommend pursuing this because there are significant benefits in being retired vs. just getting out.

Regarding the impact that drilling has on your condition, there's probably a number of solutions to this and you should talk to the senior enlisted advisor/ medical officer/ commander about being excused or drilling separately or whatever.

Hope I kind of answered your questions, let me know if you have any follow-ups.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
For purposes of schools taking DD214s as proof of military discharge wrt FAFSA, does a working copy generally work if youre stated ETS date is prior to the start of semester? Im getting out a couple days before classes start (actual ETS, not terminal leave) and when I applied to FAFSA for the school they requested my DD214, I have my CoE from the VA already, just wondering if anyone had experience in a similar situation, dont want me pell grant/loans to get delayed if they dont have to.

print scream key
Sep 20, 2012
So I recovered from my brain aneurysm (the "i kinda wanna re-enlist" phase) and now find myself in grad school. I checked my benefits and apparently I have 2 months of Post-9/11 left? I don't really need it because my state waives tuition for vets and my company is covering the fees and poo poo. I already applied for voc rehab since I'm 20% so maybe I'll get it, but I don't qualify for the BAH since I'm at six credits. I paid into the Montgomery GI Bill and I can't get that poo poo refunded unless I fully exhaust the Post-9/11 and get paid BAH on my last month.

I'm more or less set... but how the gently caress do I get more blood out of this stone? I just bought a house (with a VA mortgage lol) and I want some new hardwood flooring.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
It'll cover certain things like welding programs and stuff like that. Take some kind of woodworking cert course?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Crosspost to GIP:

Heads up, NewEgg is giving a free year of NewEgg Premier (free shipping on most stuff, free returns, no restocking) for military and veterans: http://promotions.newegg.com/nepro/16-1748/index.html

The "gotcha" is you should immediately disable the "auto-renew" once you sign up, or in a year you'll get auto-charged $50 for year two. But, I just signed up for free and immediately turned off auto-renew and it worked fine for me.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
Is there a time limit on filing a disability claim? My back injury from Afghanistan has flared up again, and I've decided to get help from a real doctor instead of the VA, which told me last year to just take ibuprofen and that physical therapy wasn't necessary.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

psydude posted:

Is there a time limit on filing a disability claim? My back injury from Afghanistan has flared up again, and I've decided to get help from a real doctor instead of the VA, which told me last year to just take ibuprofen and that physical therapy wasn't necessary.

Not to my knowledge. I know someone that filed a disability claim 3 years after the fact and ended up with 70%

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Zero VGS posted:

Crosspost to GIP:

Heads up, NewEgg is giving a free year of NewEgg Premier (free shipping on most stuff, free returns, no restocking) for military and veterans: http://promotions.newegg.com/nepro/16-1748/index.html

The "gotcha" is you should immediately disable the "auto-renew" once you sign up, or in a year you'll get auto-charged $50 for year two. But, I just signed up for free and immediately turned off auto-renew and it worked fine for me.

Thanks, gotta build a new desktop soon since mine is 7 years old now. gently caress it doesn't seem like I built it that long ago.

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST

psydude posted:

Nope. You may be thinking of the rule where if you file within a year of separation then the claim is backdated to the day of separation. You can file a claim at any time.

Save yourself some trouble and get in touch with a local VSO (like the DAV), they can help you navigate the process.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
Good news for anyone who was screwed out of/still waiting on ER reimbursement.

In brief, most vets with Social Security benefits are opted into Medicare whether they know it or not. The hospital then uses your VA ID like an insurance card and bills Medicare for what they'll cover. Prior to 2009, the regs stated that if your care was covered "in whole or in part" by any payor, the VA was not liable for reimbursement. Removing that "in part"...uh... part means the VA is liable for anything Medicare didn't cover.

Ptolemaeus
Jan 17, 2009
So, I am currently ETSing through the early release for university drop. Unfortunately I am at a smallish OCONUS base and there aren't a lot of resources for help/questions.

I've had a four year problem that developed during service with a permanent profile for testicular pain which I've had numerous ultrasounds, urinalysis, pissing into a machine while some old dude watched, urologist visits out the rear end. I've never been given an official diagnosis on why my junk hurts all the time and will randomly swell from time to time. I've mostly been given bandaid treatments and whoknows.

I spoke with my doc at the TMC, and was told that the phase 1 and phase 2 physical here when clearing is not the full thing, and you don't meet with a VA guy or anything and I have to do a follow-up when I get back state-side.

The issue is, after logging into Tricare-online, half the exams and tests I am looking at are randomly labeled Pain or generic terms that don't explicitly link to the testicular problem and I am worried that this is going to screw me over. What should I be doing now before June when I get out to make the best claim for VA on this issue so I can get it treated by a real doctor on the outside? Normally I wouldn't care and would just be happy for freedom, but this is about my testicles and its causing quality of life/sexual issues as well.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Ptolemaeus posted:

The issue is, after logging into Tricare-online, half the exams and tests I am looking at are randomly labeled Pain or generic terms that don't explicitly link to the testicular problem and I am worried that this is going to screw me over. What should I be doing now before June when I get out to make the best claim for VA on this issue so I can get it treated by a real doctor on the outside? Normally I wouldn't care and would just be happy for freedom, but this is about my testicles and its causing quality of life/sexual issues as well.

http://www.benefits.va.gov/warms/bookc.asp#l

This is a link to the rating schedule book. I can't open it on my phone, but whatever language they use for any given issue is what you want in the record. Some things (usually chronic back pain) are schedule differently based on the number of visits per year. If it says "requiring # visits per year," the key thing is to get your repeat visits documented (don't just show up to sick call and get Motrin, make sure they enter the visit into the system, for example). You need a visit in which a concrete diagnosis is made matching whatever the highest rating you can find is. I suspect the answer is going to be some sort of chronic pain related dx, since as far as I remember (it has been 3 years since I did an exit physical) they don't award disability based on sexual health unless you've lost your junk in an explosion or something. I vaguely remember an E8 getting angry with me over that issue, as if I was the one who wrote the schedule for disability or something. You could probably hit up mental health and get a dx of depression related to sexual function and/or chronic undefined pain fairly easily to tack on a bit of percentage, depending on the disposition of the Doctor. The key is to get a diagnosis that verbatim lines up with the schedule, so that nobody can bump it down to a lower level. Get every test you can get for the related symptoms, if you haven't already (it sounds like you have), since it's generally a lot easier to get things done at an MTF than a VAMC.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Ptolemaeus posted:

So, I am currently ETSing through the early release for university drop. Unfortunately I am at a smallish OCONUS base and there aren't a lot of resources for help/questions.

I've had a four year problem that developed during service with a permanent profile for testicular pain which I've had numerous ultrasounds, urinalysis, pissing into a machine while some old dude watched, urologist visits out the rear end. I've never been given an official diagnosis on why my junk hurts all the time and will randomly swell from time to time. I've mostly been given bandaid treatments and whoknows.

I spoke with my doc at the TMC, and was told that the phase 1 and phase 2 physical here when clearing is not the full thing, and you don't meet with a VA guy or anything and I have to do a follow-up when I get back state-side.

If you haven't been given an actual diagnosis of what is wrong then you should also communicate those concerns while you're doing your out processing physical. AFAIK they have an obligation to ensure that you're as close to healthy before they discharge you. This could lead to a variety of scenarios, some of which could involve you being put on med hold while they straighten some stuff out. I dunno about you but getting random ball pain and swelling diagnosed through the VA as opposed to through base medical or whatever doesn't sounds like a pretty unpleasant place to be.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
I went through VONAPP and sent them my DD214 for 35 months and 11 days of enlisted service before I went officer. They came back and said I'm 90% eligible. I'm still active duty right now fulfilling my minimum service requirement for 5 years for going to the Naval Academy.

Questions is: I paid my $1200 for the Montgomery GI Bill, wouldn't that make me 100% eligible for post 9/11? I hate sitting at 90% even though I was very shy of 100%. Right now plan is to do one month past my required 5 years as an officer so I can get to 100% but if I don't have to do that then I can get out a little earlier.

Thanks.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Ptolemaeus posted:

I'll let you know that right now, this very thing, is something I'm having to fight the VA on for giving me 0% on. It was the cause of a P2 profile, surgery, and numerous pain management visits.

Get as much paperwork as you can regarding this issue, and make sure you 1)make copies of it and 2) submit it with your VA claim. They tend to not look at that stuff in my experience and rely on their QTC appointments to get things sorted.

Best of luck, let me know how it goes.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
I'll do some digging on these disability questions, and in the meantime, share this with your lady vet friends. Non-lady vets can apply too, but right now they want more even demographics THANKS OBAMA.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Still waiting to hear back from Voc Rehab to see if I'm approved or not. The orientation was about two weeks ago so it should be soon.

Anyway, I start an internship in DC in the fall, and I wonder if it's possible to get voc rehab to pay the housing allowance. I mean, it is working towards employment and everything. Does that happen? I've looked online and have t gotten conclusive answers.

Edit: I assure you, this internship is not at a paint store.

Time Crisis Actor fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 4, 2016

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Nobody has anything? Voc rehab gurus? Vasudus? Satan?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Deathy McDeath posted:

Nobody has anything? Voc rehab gurus? Vasudus? Satan?

Is the internship for college credit or is it like a job?

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Just a job. My school doesn't offer credit for internships

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
I went to a VA appointment today and they are withholding my medications (I can't refill anything) until I go in for a blood draw tomorrow. He said it was to make sure I wasn't addicted to anything.

:(

Been hearing that if you've taken anything you're not prescribed (controlled substances) the VA is refusing your treatment. I have nothing to worry about, but this is really, really lovely. Not giving me my sleep meds so I can sleep and not have a hosed day at work on no sleep is extremely annoying.

This is Ohio, by the way.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Sarah posted:

I went to a VA appointment today and they are withholding my medications (I can't refill anything) until I go in for a blood draw tomorrow. He said it was to make sure I wasn't addicted to anything.

:(

Been hearing that if you've taken anything you're not prescribed (controlled substances) the VA is refusing your treatment. I have nothing to worry about, but this is really, really lovely. Not giving me my sleep meds so I can sleep and not have a hosed day at work on no sleep is extremely annoying.

This is Ohio, by the way.

File a complaint with the patient advocate? That seems like an unnecessarily invasive way of conducting a drug test considering they could just have you do a piss test.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Kawasaki Nun posted:

File a complaint with the patient advocate? That seems like an unnecessarily invasive way of conducting a drug test considering they could just have you do a piss test.

When I asked about it, they said it was their new policy to try to prevent "overdoses". I am taking a controlled substance, but I have not said nor done anything to make him believe I am abusing it. In fact, I don't even order them every 30 days because I only take them as needed, so it's very strange to suddenly be suspected of taking more than prescribed....

It's too late to call now, I need to attempt to sleep (too far to drive back now). I'll talk to them tomorrow after I show up there half-dead from being up more than 36 hours after I fail at sleeping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Yeah withholding medication for a surprise blood draw is an unnecessary interruption of care for some stupid policy. There are ways to enact drug screening policies in a way that doesn't interrupt care. Them wasting your time when you drove out there and then denying you your prescribed medication for some nebulous policy is poo poo treatment and you should tell them to gently caress themselves via complaint IMO.

Really you might have asked them why the gently caress you weren't informed of this new policy before you drove out there to get your medication refilled. Seems like a simple phone call would have saved you the trouble, allowed you to schedule a draw prior to your medication running out, and saved everyone alot of headache in the process. I realize that would have required a modicum of proactivity on the part of the VA, but that is precisely why you should voice your dissatisfaction. I had to give a piss sample as part of my treatment but the Golden VA managed to handle that entire process quickly and easily without any interruption

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 12, 2016