Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

absolute fuckery. It's nice to see him taking his first steps on the path to pure melt down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Is it out yet

Edit: also Hail SS-18 Satan let his passing cleanse the earth

Smiling Jack fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Feb 26, 2016

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kajeesus posted:

Ellaria Sand leads the Sand Snakes instead of Arianne and plots to kill Myrcella, but they gently caress it up royally and throw themselves on Doran's mercy. He decides to not punish them in any way and makes them send Myrcella off via boat. Ellaria gives her the kiss of death with slow-acting poison in front of everyone who knows that she's a poisoner (seriously just watch the scene, seriously) and Myrcella dies on the boat.

And why doesn't that loving boat just turn right the gently caress around? What do they just sail off with a dead princess on board?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Dorne was so loving terrible Jamie isn't go back there for any reason what so ever.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

incredible

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

av sized for anyone who wants it

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

kcroy posted:

And why doesn't that loving boat just turn right the gently caress around? What do they just sail off with a dead princess on board?

they also have the prince of dorne on board with myrcellas father heading towards kings landing.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

kcroy posted:

absolute fuckery. It's nice to see him taking his first steps on the path to pure melt down.

Yes. This is exactly the kind of poo poo predicted by this thread ages ago too. Nice.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
That news is pretty old, we talked about it here the first time. We knew something was going to be different because stannis and shireen/melisandre aren't even in the same place in the book. I'm assuming Stannis is the character because grrm clearly likes him a lot more than the show did. I guess it could be barristan or mance or even aegon, but I doubt it.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

This is from a new interview with IGN. Whether or not he's talking about the same thing, who knows. Plus it's academic anyway, since a twist in the books that isn't in the show requires the books to be written.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The previous time he brought this up he said "I figured out a big twist I could pull that the show is no longer capable of!" This time he goes "I did the big twist.".

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'm optimistic for a holiday release.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The previous time he brought this up he said "I figured out a big twist I could pull that the show is no longer capable of!" This time he goes "I did the big twist.".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNT-sc1ymEM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNT-sc1ymEM

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
I have the exact excerpt from Winds of Winter that reveals the twist:

Wyman Manderly wrung his greasy fingers together and cackled violently, unashamed at the bold stares stabbing at him from across the hall. "Bring out the fourth pie!" he stammered between bursts of angry laughter. Manderly servents coated in sea-green tunics trudged it forth from the kitchens on a litter. Wyman lifted his considerable girth from his chair and raised his arms as high above his head that they could go. "For it is high time you had your just desserts!" Flaky crust exploded outwards as a small but powerful man began to move across the table. Amid the shouts and screams Lord Manderly sang, "I present to you Syrio Forel, the finest dish the North shall ever feed you!"

Syrio slashed and danced across the tables, knocking over delicious honeyed lamb sausages, moist Redwyne cheese stuffed grape leaves, the tenderest slow-roasted swine covered in crushed walnuts and gooseberry dressing, bowls of the sour and savory Starfish Soup, warm pepper-cakes smothered in white gravy,

And it keeps going like that

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Ninth Layer posted:

I'm optimistic for a holiday release.

The only holiday release that will happen is GRRM taking a holiday and releasing a fat turd over the pot.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

TommyGun85 posted:

they also have the prince of dorne on board with myrcellas father heading towards kings landing.

I guess, but its like - their only real option is to kill him, or turn around. Does anyone really think Dorne ( as a state ) is responsible for this murder? It doesn't seem like the Prince is any good as a hostage - if Dorne really killed Myrcella, they clearly don't give a gently caress about him. I mean and who the gently caress knows, maybe Dorne has a goddamn antidote or something. You at least would have some chance at justice. Just sailing off doesn't really get you much.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

MrSlam posted:

I have the exact excerpt from Winds of Winter that reveals the twist:

Wyman Manderly wrung his greasy fingers together and cackled violently, unashamed at the bold stares stabbing at him from across the hall. "Bring out the fourth pie!" he stammered between bursts of angry laughter. Manderly servents coated in sea-green tunics trudged it forth from the kitchens on a litter. Wyman lifted his considerable girth from his chair and raised his arms as high above his head that they could go. "For it is high time you had your just desserts!" Flaky crust exploded outwards as a small but powerful man began to move across the table. Amid the shouts and screams Lord Manderly sang, "I present to you Syrio Forel, the finest dish the North shall ever feed you!"

Syrio slashed and danced across the tables, knocking over delicious honeyed lamb sausages, moist Redwyne cheese stuffed grape leaves, the tenderest slow-roasted swine covered in crushed walnuts and gooseberry dressing, bowls of the sour and savory Starfish Soup, warm pepper-cakes smothered in white gravy,

And it keeps going like that

Id buy that book!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
At least Myrcella died at peace, knowing that she was an incest babby. That's kind of heart-warming, if you think about it.

No wait, what the gently caress?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It was somewhat endearing and a good character moment for Jaime, it's a shame it was taken straight out of "creating fake dramatic tension for dummies" and was only a set up for Myrcella's super obvious death but all in all I thought it was a nice notion to have one of Jaime's incest spawns recognize him as their father.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Feb 27, 2016

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

emanresu tnuocca posted:

It was somewhat endearing and a good character moment for Jaime, it's a shame it was taken straight out of "creating fake dramatic tension for dummies" and was only a set up for Myrcella's super obvious death but all in all I thought it was a nice notion to have one of Jaime's incest spawns to recognize him as their father.

yeah - they created a nice moment just so they could yank it away. but it was pretty sweet... hope she comes back as a zombie.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I guess I don't like the moment because no amount off feel-good character development is going to undo that his daughter is also his niece. Like, what if she had lived? Would the subplot have been about how they try to get over her being his incest babby?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The girl grew up thinking she was Robert and Cersei's hatespawn so having a parent who's actually a somewhat likeable person who seems to give a poo poo about her on a basic human level is obviously gonna be pretty nice for her. I don't think there's any point speculating about the continuation of this aborted arc as it pretty much climaxed in that one scene, she already got over being an incest baby, she's happy to be able to remove the pretense when she's alone with her biological father.

Had she not died I doubt either would have felt compelled to flaunt their newfound relationship publicly, it was a personal moment for both of them.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The girl grew up thinking she was Robert and Cersei's hatespawn so having a parent who's actually a somewhat likeable person who seems to give a poo poo about her on a basic human level is obviously gonna be pretty nice for her. I don't think there's any point speculating about the continuation of this aborted arc as it pretty much climaxed in that one scene, she already got over being an incest baby, she's happy to be able to remove the pretense when she's alone with her biological father.

Had she not died I doubt either would have felt compelled to flaunt their newfound relationship publicly, it was a personal moment for both of them.

you're right. Having parents who hated each other is much worse than having parents who are siblings. A pretty nice personal moment for her indeed.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

TommyGun85 posted:

you're right. Having parents who hated each other is much worse than having parents who are siblings. A pretty nice personal moment for her indeed.
I don't know what it's like to feel otherwise but I imagine it's pretty nice to discover that one of your parents does care about you in some way, as opposed to zero of them. I don't think she was going to have a breakdown over chromosomal diversity. It didn't seem to bother Rhaegar...

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I don't know what it's like to feel otherwise but I imagine it's pretty nice to discover that one of your parents does care about you in some way, as opposed to zero of them. I don't think she was going to have a breakdown over chromosomal diversity. It didn't seem to bother Rhaegar...

since when did Cersei not care about her?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Grendels Dad posted:

I guess I don't like the moment because no amount off feel-good character development is going to undo that his daughter is also his niece. Like, what if she had lived? Would the subplot have been about how they try to get over her being his incest babby?

Westeros spent several centuries being ruled by a noble family that openly and proudly inbred for generations. I suspect that blunts the social stigma of the realization a bit and given how horrible a person Robert was she probably figured it was better Jaimie was her dad than a fat drunk who likes to go whoring.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

TommyGun85 posted:

since when did Cersei not care about her?
Cersei seemed to care about them more as status symbols and whatnot. She never seemed particularly warm or caring in their presence. She was berating and negative around them always. She certainly took actions that made it clear she cared about them, or at least wanted to look like she did, but I don't think the children could really see that. Maybe my interpretation is wrong, but she always seemed particularly cruel to Tommen at least. (I'm not sure I remember a single Myrcella-Cersei interaction in the text, maybe I'm forgetting stuff.)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Cersei seemed to care about them more as status symbols and whatnot. She never seemed particularly warm or caring in their presence. She was berating and negative around them always. She certainly took actions that made it clear she cared about them, or at least wanted to look like she did, but I don't think the children could really see that. Maybe my interpretation is wrong, but she always seemed particularly cruel to Tommen at least. (I'm not sure I remember a single Myrcella-Cersei interaction in the text, maybe I'm forgetting stuff.)

Myrcella is Bran's age in the books, but she was also sent away like midway through Book 2 and you don't really see Cersei interacting with her kids until about then.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
We get to see Cersei's version of motherhood in her AFFC chapters when she gets some alone time with Tommen and she's at the very least a very harsh and domineering mother, with the whipping boy angle and all I'd say she's even somewhat abusive. Maybe things were different with Myrcella but it doesn't seem like she was particularly involved or affectionate with her either.

Regardless, this is all rather moot cause the actual scene in the show that precedes Myrcella's death has her accept Jaime and embrace him, she actually says she's suspected for a while and has not only come to terms with it but realized that she'd like having Jaime in her life as her father. So yeah, you can chalk it off as poor writing cause how could anyone possibly be ok with being the product of sibling incest (though Dany doesn't seem to give a gently caress?) but I personally didn't find anything offensive about it and think it was one of the better scenes in the whole season 5 clusterfuck. Up until the nosebleed anyway.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grendels Dad posted:

no, about how they fall in love

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

What does anything really mean

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Concurred posted:

What does anything really mean

who is the blonde in the front, presumably holding the camera?

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

:perfect:

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Welp, time to close it on up. It's been a good 8 years or so with you.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

So it's not out yet

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

TommyGun85 posted:

who is the blonde in the front, presumably holding the camera?

Some youtuber - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IJustine

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Smiling Jack posted:

So it's not out yet

He read two chapters from TWOW at a recent con. Unless they were originally part of ADWD before they got bumped to TWOW this is straight up, smoking gun evidence that Martin is hard at work and the next book will be out in a few short months. Can I get a "huzzah" up in this bitch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Soul
Nov 5, 2011
I think I'm finally one of you guys now. I was so bummed about how the show handled stannis and everything up north. To me the best part of Dance was how all these pieces are set so the battle is going to be loving awesome and then the show just poo poo itself. And I'll probably never know what was supposed to happen. gently caress