Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Minidust posted:

My wife just got a new 6s+ and we're trying to restore from an iTunes backup of her old phone (5s). Both iTunes and the phone are up to date (iTunes 12.2.2.25 on a MacBook Pro; iOS 9.2.1). However plugging in the phone always produces this message:

Not sure what that's all about, since iTunes interfaces with her old phone just fine.

I tried checking for updates in iTunes. It said everything was up to date (and "About iTunes" identifies it as 12.2.2.25), but also throws up an error message about not being able to reach the update server:

Is it some weird deal where iTunes is updated, but certain parts of the software don't know that it's current so it refuses to cooperate with the phone?

Anyway wondering if anyone has experience with that error. Really hoping to restore soon. Can't restore from iCloud since there was some problem preventing backups on her old phone for months.

I've seen that before. I had to manually download the latest version from apple.com and install it and it finally worked. Checking for updates in iTunes always said it was up to date even though it wasn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The one good thing is companies that dived into all touch screen controls have backpeddled on it after realized you want to use muscle memory for the controls you always need to tinker.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

iLikeMidgets posted:

Wouldn't disrespect my phone with a Saddle Brown case either.

Mods?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Dave posted:

The one good thing is companies that dived into all touch screen controls have backpeddled on it after realized you want to use muscle memory for the controls you always need to tinker.

Now they're pushing gesture controls or littering the steering wheel with a billion buttons. Manufacturers are absolutely incapable of designing a decent human interface.

azzenco
Jan 16, 2004

Slippery Tilde

~Coxy posted:

The is no jailbreak for current IOS so if you update compulsively you are SOL for the time being.

drat that sucks.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Looks like I will just continue my sad existence of not being able to change my tracks using short l-press-down-up or the reverse. Best use of that is when you're running with your phone and are so sweaty you can't press anything on the screen.

Time to bring back the Walkman.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

xzzy posted:

Now they're pushing gesture controls or littering the steering wheel with a billion buttons. Manufacturers are absolutely incapable of designing a decent human interface.

False. Every large-scale manufacturer has decades of experience making perfectly good human interfaces. If they'd stick with what the know instead of trying to chase fads, they'd be fine.

I recall reading a review for a pickup truck, and throughout, they constantly praised the design decisions for the interior. All the buttons were big and chunky so they could be used while wearing work gloves. These companies know perfectly well how to make good, thoughtful human interfaces while being attractive. They are just making the wrong decisions and using dumb touchscreens.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Feb 26, 2016

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Minidust posted:

My wife just got a new 6s+ and we're trying to restore from an iTunes backup of her old phone (5s). Both iTunes and the phone are up to date (iTunes 12.2.2.25 on a MacBook Pro; iOS 9.2.1). However plugging in the phone always produces this message:

Not sure what that's all about, since iTunes interfaces with her old phone just fine.

I tried checking for updates in iTunes. It said everything was up to date (and "About iTunes" identifies it as 12.2.2.25), but also throws up an error message about not being able to reach the update server:

Anyway wondering if anyone has experience with that error. Really hoping to restore soon. Can't restore from iCloud since there was some problem preventing backups on her old phone for months.

Holy poo poo dude cmd+shift+4 takes a selection screenshot.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I've got iTunes 12.3.2.35 on my Mac which would suggest you're not totally up to date despite what the "Check for Updates" feature is showing you.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Thanks guys - turns out I had to update her OS to El Capitan first, since the actual newest version of iTunes requires it. Not a Mac user myself, so I didn't realize this was a free upgrade thingy. It didn't show up as a "software update" via the top screen menu but I noticed a notification in the Mac's app store for it.

Updated the OS, ran iTunes on that, plugged in the phone, and it worked!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Endless Mike posted:

Touch-only controls are fine for little-used or unimportant functions. Like, if you want to put stereo EQ settings there, sure; those are rarely getting adjusted, and not really on the go. Unfortunately, everyone is shoving every control possible in them without any physical redundancy, and that's not good.

Also, Tesla's UI design looks like it should be a WinAmp skin from 1998.

I've rented cars where the next song/previous song buttons were touch screen only and Jesus Christ whoever thought that would be a good idea needs to be fired.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

azzenco posted:

Time to bring back the Walkman.

They did, it is - no joke - a $1,000 device that runs Android.

Time to send the Walkman back!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

One of the huge pluses for the Spotify App (of which there are few) is that you can swipe between songs in a playlist. On Apple Music it's this garbage little Next Song button that's loving tiny on a 6+ model

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

EL BROMANCE posted:

They did, it is - no joke - a $1,000 device that runs Android.

Time to send the Walkman back!

They have a slightly more reasonably-priced one called the A17 that runs for $300 and has 64GB of memory plus a MicroSDXC slot so you can add another 128GB for like $50. Not a bad deal for a dedicated, high-capacity player.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Quantum of Phallus posted:

One of the huge pluses for the Spotify App (of which there are few) is that you can swipe between songs in a playlist. On Apple Music it's this garbage little Next Song button that's loving tiny on a 6+ model

Apple's music app used to let you do that from the lock screen. You just swiped left to skip songs . Then they got rid of it because it was TOO USEFUL AND GOOD.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bass Bottles posted:

Apple's music app used to let you do that from the lock screen. You just swiped left to skip songs . Then they got rid of it because it was TOO USEFUL AND GOOD.
Sure that wasn't a jailbreak tweak you had?

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

I've never jail broken a phone, so yeah.

This was possibly back in iOS6.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Khablam posted:

Normal sized or plus? You have no good battery case options with the plus and it's not needed anyway. For the 6/6S the Anker cases are criminally cheap for what you get and I can't recommend them enough.

Regular 6s. I must be a heavy user because I can drain this thing easily :( I like the simplicity of the official one but not 3x as much or whatever it is.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Bass Bottles posted:

I could see that being annoying for accidental pocket swipes :(

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I've been using iPhones since the 4 and I have absolutely zero recollection of lock screen swipes to change songs.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Well it may have been Spotify rather than the music app, I can't remember, but it was definitely on the lock screen and it was definitely real. Until an iOS update took it away.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

MrBond posted:

Regular 6s. I must be a heavy user because I can drain this thing easily :( I like the simplicity of the official one but not 3x as much or whatever it is.

Simplicity in design or use? If you genuinely like the design I can only recommend you ask to be referred to your local psychiatric care facility.
If you mean use, they're all as complicated as one another; you put the phone in, you turn it on. I think just about every 3rd party battery case has better capacity than the Apple one.
Anker cases have an 18 month warranty and people rave about their customer service (I've had no reason to call them myself).

pech
Jul 19, 2004

Is there a way to stop itunes from automatically syncing all my itunes store purchased music to my phone? I've tried 4 methods and it still syncs.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's a manage music manually checkbox somewhere, works for me. It does mean you have to select which playlists to sync so it's slightly more effort.

Also probably still a "fill empty space with more music" checkbox so unselect that too.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Settings/iTunes & App Store/Music set it to off

pech
Jul 19, 2004

Thanks. iTunes is really strange to me, i finally got it to work. I had sync only checked songs enabled and it was still syncing unchecked songs that i had purchased, tried a few other things but your suggestions worked. I never used autofilled. Thanks lots :)

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bass Bottles posted:

Well it may have been Spotify rather than the music app, I can't remember, but it was definitely on the lock screen and it was definitely real. Until an iOS update took it away.
Third party apps can't modify the lock screen functions like that, and the only reference to lock screen swipe controls I could find anywhere is for jailbreak tweaks :iiam:. I know there's other players like with swipe controls if you leave the phone unlocked (and they'll keep it unlocked).

Khablam posted:

Simplicity in design or use? If you genuinely like the design I can only recommend you ask to be referred to your local psychiatric care facility.
If you mean use, they're all as complicated as one another; you put the phone in, you turn it on. I think just about every 3rd party battery case has better capacity than the Apple one.
Anker cases have an 18 month warranty and people rave about their customer service (I've had no reason to call them myself).
In use the Apple one does the whole "just works" thing, and in hand feels relatively thin with a hump vs uniformly fatter. Plus it uses Lightning cables if you happen to already have a bunch of those, and the plug reversibility is (still) nice vs micro USB. USB-C stuff isn't coming fast enough :argh:

But yeah Anker is cool afaik, it seems like them and a few others have popped up on Amazon selling nice cheap stuff and have no problem replacing if there's issues.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
One positive the official Apple® battery case has which no other case can provide is it's not constantly charging your phone while the case battery is in use. I think the result being that your iPhone battery ends up with less cycles.

The official case feels great to me and is very easy to clean, too, in a somewhat magical way-everything just wipes off.

That being said if all you care about is capacity there are better options. That being said, my girlfriend is on her 6S all day long and has never had to charge her phone throughout the day since getting the official Apple® battery case.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

decypher posted:

One positive the official Apple® battery case has which no other case can provide is it's not constantly charging your phone while the case battery is in use. I think the result being that your iPhone battery ends up with less cycles.

No, this isn't a thing.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
Pretty hilarious iPhone unlocking story, to me at least.

So I'm going to Europe next month and hoped to use my 6S with a cheap prepaid SIM card. Unfortunately it's locked to AT&T and I'm not out of my contract until September.

I read online that folks have had luck by just filling out the unlock request form online over and over again and eventually it would go through. I tried several times but was instantly denied.

I then got on chat with AT&T to see if they could make an exception for being a long time customer , never missing a payment, etc. and they submitted my exception request.

Denied.

So today I read a thread on Mac rumors saying how if you submit an unlock request with all of the correct information online BUT use a phone number other than yours that is assigned to an off contract phone on your account you will get unlocked. I said what the hell and gave it a try. I got the unlock confirmation in about 2 minutes. I can't believe it.

So, any recommendations for a cheap prepaid carrier that is reliable, will work on my GSM 6S (model A1633) in both the UK and Ireland? I just need something with a gig or less and some minutes to get me through a 10 day trip!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm not sure if there is one that'll cover both the UK and Ireland as were separate countries and that's usually enough for carriers to say 'that's roaming'.

In the UK, 3 is seen as one of the cheap and cheerful brands, here's their prepaid page. Not sure if there's any better deals around... The main carriers here are o2, EE, Vodafone and Three. There's some smaller ones like Giff Gaff as well.

My experiences is that they all suck poo poo, but it should be painless enough for such a short stay.

E: oops forgot to post the link. http://www.three.co.uk/Store/SIM/Pay_As_You_Go

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Feb 28, 2016

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

UK and Ireland aren't the same so you'd be better off getting a SIM in each place. I'm in Ireland and on 3 and it's ridiculously cheap prepayed. Just buy a sim with €20 credit and you'll be fine. Same for the UK I'd imagine.

One thing to mention is in Ireland , Vodafone have the best coverage by a mile but are generally more expensive.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Oh my god can we make saying "battery cycles" a bannable offense

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
If you never unplug your phone from the charger, the battery is going to be poo poo. You don't have to believe me. I don't care what you think.

My whole point was the 'Official Apple Battery Case' uses the case's battery first, separately, on it's own, like an independent battery. This is in contrast to 3rd party battery cases which supply power to the phone's battery.

You're missing the real point here which is get a Plus and never worry about battery again, you poor piece of poo poo.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

dutchbstrd posted:

So, any recommendations for a cheap prepaid carrier that is reliable, will work on my GSM 6S (model A1633) in both the UK and Ireland? I just need something with a gig or less and some minutes to get me through a 10 day trip!

As El Bromance said, moving from the UK to Ireland counts as roaming. Your best bet is (as already suggested) to go with 3, as their "Feel at Home" package covers Ireland and nullifies the roaming charges. Also applies in a bunch of other European countries too if you're doing any more travelling (though not Poland, as I found last weekend). 20 quid gets you unlimited data and 300 minutes, or there are cheaper packages.

Edit: Although I've no idea about the specifics of your phone as you mentioned that. Over here we don't have to deal with the the whole "different carrier = different model" bullshit, everything's compatible. My 6S is A1688.

Froist fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Feb 28, 2016

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

decypher posted:

If you never unplug your phone from the charger, the battery is going to be poo poo. You don't have to believe me. I don't care what you think.

My whole point was the 'Official Apple Battery Case' uses the case's battery first, separately, on it's own, like an independent battery. This is in contrast to 3rd party battery cases which supply power to the phone's battery.

They work functionally identically. You are wrong. Even if they didn't, you would still be wrong. No part of anything you have said here is based on a single fact.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

dutchbstrd posted:

Well, what you *could* do is sign up for T-Mobile post-paid for a month. You'll have to pay $0.20/minute, but data and texting will be unlimited, though data will be very slow.

Froist posted:

Edit: Although I've no idea about the specifics of your phone as you mentioned that. Over here we don't have to deal with the the whole "different carrier = different model" bullshit, everything's compatible. My 6S is A1688.
I honestly don't know why AT&T has a different model as it supports everything the other carriers' model supports plus an extra LTE band, to include the CDMA stuff on Sprint and Verizon.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

decypher posted:

You're wrong and dumb and that's a hell of a thing to be in this thread.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

Froist posted:

As El Bromance said, moving from the UK to Ireland counts as roaming. Your best bet is (as already suggested) to go with 3, as their "Feel at Home" package covers Ireland and nullifies the roaming charges. Also applies in a bunch of other European countries too if you're doing any more travelling (though not Poland, as I found last weekend). 20 quid gets you unlimited data and 300 minutes, or there are cheaper packages.

Thanks, this is probably my best bet.

dutchbstrd fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 28, 2016

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Froist posted:

3 also cover the US. It is legitimately cheaper to be a 3 customer and live in the US than pay ATT/Tmobile/Verizon $60-$100 for 2-4 gigs of data. 3 gives you unlimited internet in the US. While roaming. It boggles the mind as to how they managed to arrange those agreements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

awesome-express posted:

3 also cover the US. It is legitimately cheaper to be a 3 customer and live in the US than pay ATT/Tmobile/Verizon $60-$100 for 2-4 gigs of data. 3 gives you unlimited internet in the US. While roaming. It boggles the mind as to how they managed to arrange those agreements.

As a UK-er it boggles the mind how much people in the US get shafted on carrier bills. We've past the glory days now (and 3 are now actively booting people off their grandfathered-in packages), but a few years ago we could get unlimited data including tethering for 15 quid a month.