Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

https://superhotgame.com/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/322500/

You may remember this game as 'that one game from like 3 years ago during a 7 day game jam'. It's a shooter that's a mix of FPS and Bullet Hell with cool time distortion and plenty of Red Guys to kill. Well, they made a full game, it's out today on steam, and it's SUPER HOT.

SUPER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWJSiJsmO-A

HOT

SUPER

HOT

SUPER

HOT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
game looks pretty tight

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah you can totally upload your replays and embed them here

It's probably going to be a nightmare but so is this game

https://giant.gfycat.com/NegligiblePointlessAfricanbushviper.mp4

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah you can totally upload your replays and embed them here

It's probably going to be a nightmare but so is this game

How do you get the replays? The website thing isn't working for me.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

:stare: That looks rad as gently caress.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Haha I just beat it it was like 2 hours long

You do unlock challenge and endless mode after that though

Maybe there's other stuff in there as well???

Skyl3lazer posted:

How do you get the replays? The website thing isn't working for me.

Through the website when it's working

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIMJYSZEDyo

I guess youtube embed is probably better

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

widespread posted:

:stare: That looks rad as gently caress.

The game play isn't anywhere near that fast though. It's way slower, like you actually move and shoot slowly plus the whole time stop thing. Then when you finish the level it shows you the replay for it at normal speed.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I did the katanaonly challenge and some of those later levels are pretty hosed. Wish the site was working 'cause it seems like it ate my uploads, the amount of bullets you have to dodge is nuts

bigass jncos
Dec 3, 2007

Ridin' on a Mershaq back.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ynLShB1rzs

Jesus christ fists only challenge is hard. The replay feature is also the best because I always find myself trying to make movie moments instead of gaming it. This game is so good!!!

edit: Whoa, looks like Killstagram stuff just uploads your vid to a random YouTube channel or something. Also, I don't think account creation works either.

bigass jncos fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Feb 26, 2016

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Leper Residue posted:

The game play isn't anywhere near that fast though. It's way slower, like you actually move and shoot slowly plus the whole time stop thing. Then when you finish the level it shows you the replay for it at normal speed.

So does it justify the $23 tag? Because I really wanna get SUPER HOT SUPER HOT SUPER HOT

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

widespread posted:

So does it justify the $23 tag? Because I really wanna get SUPER HOT SUPER HOT SUPER HOT

If you only bother with the main mode, it might seem a little steep, but there's a good bit of replayability thanks to the challenges and endless mode.

Orv
May 4, 2011

widespread posted:

The campaign is cool and has some neat story touches but you want this as a score attack game where you doing well is rewarded by not only score but your very own action movie scene.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

widespread posted:

you can get it for around $18 if you use GMG's discounts. But yes, it's well worth the tag considering games like Firewatch or Gone Home are around this price range and don't even come close to how loving amazing this is. I'd go as far as to say it's like the PT of 2016---small and incredibly innovative gem, but unlike PT it got out of alpha phase and offers a lot of cool challenge modes even after you go through the weird 2-hour story. That being said I do hope the popularity gets bigger so they can offer even more content to it because the premise and engine is just that radical.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

I also love all the bonus poo poo they put in the main menu. You can tell they had fun building their fake ASCII OS.

bigass jncos
Dec 3, 2007

Ridin' on a Mershaq back.
Yeah, the game oozes polish. The two hour story is a little sparse, but the mechanic of action movie choreographing your way from place to place is super addictive. I also like that they seem to have added a slo-mo feature to the jump along with air control. It's slower than wasd, harder for enemies to track and looks cool as hell.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Well grats. I got it for $18 off of GMG. Now to let it install, then I'mma get back to ya on it.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Whew, I was gonna get this game but its pretty drat expensive for what it is.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

... so when do I get the challenge modes. I'm in the story, in a cell, and... yeah.

Orv
May 4, 2011

widespread posted:

... so when do I get the challenge modes. I'm in the story, in a cell, and... yeah.

Finish the story. You're, a third in?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

This game was pretty :krad:. I wish they had played the whole finale fight back in real time at the end though, that would have been some serious poo poo.

I wonder what kind of secrets there are, feels like they could have buried some cool stuff in all the little garbage programs etc.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

I'm bummed they nerfed punching bullets out of the air. But they made up for it with jumping completely breaking the game.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

It definitely feels like the kinda game that would have some secrets lying around. Though I've never been good at that sorta stuff anyways.

I'm not much of a fan of the challenge modes but the endless arenas are pretty dang fun. I think this might be my new podcast game, at least for a bit. I like all the interesting tricks you can pull with the body-switching mechanic. My favorite is when I have a katana and realize I'm about to be killed, I toss it at whoever I'm going to switch to and then grab it after switching. It's very action movie.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Who the gently caress decided to change the system requirements from the beta to the full release? I was able to play the beta just fine with minimal slowdown, but the final game crashes as soon as I click on superhot.exe

Gutted.

My graphics card is fairly shite since I picked up an all-in-one pc for ludicrously cheap, but I'm able to run payday 2 and a whole horde of other titles on medium to low settings. The fact that I could play the beta but not the actual release is some premium grade horseshit.

Narcissus1916 fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Feb 26, 2016

Fakebacon
Nov 7, 2009

randombattle posted:

I'm bummed they nerfed punching bullets out of the air. But they made up for it with jumping completely breaking the game.

Luckily, you can still cut bullets out of the air.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1zNk2DpdfQ

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Fakebacon posted:

That is an achievement, by the way.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Fakebacon posted:

Fuuuuck, I already did the katana only challenge and I tried to do this but I couldn't get it to work so I assumed it wasn't possible

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Secrets Talk:

Has anybody found the secret terminal in DROP? I've gone off the far end to the cars floating in the air where the road probably should be, but there's nothing out there other than some "SUPER" and "HOT" signs. I did notice a lot of weird stuff under and around the side of the map while I fell to my death. Am I going the wrong way?

EDIT: Found a guide on Youtube. Boy, that was a weird spot.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Feb 26, 2016

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
It, uh, is overpriced.

Neat game tho. Bought it, played a few levels, returned it.

It oddly runs very poorly on my 5 year old computer.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I really don't understand "overpriced" when people happily buy half-finished pieces of poo poo for $60 all the time; value is measured all kinds of ways. 18 bucks is a good price for something that is different and offers a good amount of stuff for 3 to 7 hours. Hell, Gone Home and Firewatch were just as much and the latter had problems running at launch, neither offer as much activity as this.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

MinibarMatchman posted:

That being said I do hope the popularity gets bigger so they can offer even more content to it because the premise and engine is just that radical.
According to their Kickstarter update about the release, there will be post-release content and it will be free.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I don't have a problem with the length, though I wish there was more mechanical content, e.g. moves and weapons, there are a ton of possibilities that haven't been touched upon I think

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

The Kins posted:

According to their Kickstarter update about the release, there will be post-release content and it will be free.

that's great, can't imagine how much more insane poo poo they can squeeze out of this

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
This game is rad as hell but i REALLY, REALLY dislike the way they do text in-game... the one-word-at-a-time fullscreen thing with the loud Slap sound as each word comes up. Gotta find a way to at least mod out the sound effect

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
It made me promise not to run superhot.exe anymore. I poked around the directory structure, played some treedude, and then quit. I figure, hey, if the game wants me to stop playing it, who am I to argue? :v:

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Mukaikubo posted:

It made me promise not to run superhot.exe anymore. I poked around the directory structure, played some treedude, and then quit. I figure, hey, if the game wants me to stop playing it, who am I to argue? :v:

That's my second fav moment in the story behind Having to close the game and restart it because it blocks superhot.exe

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
The game really messes with your expectations of when you're getting ready to play it and when you're actually playing it. I love it.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

Mukaikubo posted:

Yeah I got to this point and just gave up. The only reason I play games like this (or Hotline Miami, or MIirror's Edge) is for the flow sense, and there were way too many breaks in the flow with MS-DOS interface and walking around in jail for me to be excited about doing more.

Do things get better, or should I just uninstall?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Fetterkey posted:

Yeah I got to this point and just gave up. The only reason I play games like this (or Hotline Miami, or MIirror's Edge) is for the flow sense, and there were way too many breaks in the flow with MS-DOS interface and walking around in jail for me to be excited about doing more.

Do things get better, or should I just uninstall?

Just suffer through the story, it's like an hour and a half of your time if you're not an idiot, and then you have endless mode that has no flow breaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Hi. My name is Songbearer and I have an unhealthy obsession with throwing things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqwx7N2EpYk

• Locked thread